14 9.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Iceland-scaled.jpg

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, unsurprisingly Think About Things won pretty comfortably in the end.

I read somewhere that Iva was unpopular in Iceland for some reason, but that she did so badly there surprised me a lot.

Another point of interest: out of the 10 jurors, 8 put Think About Things in first place, 1 put Iva in first place, and one put Meet Me Halfway in first place.

nofuxCZ

So Iva was just a fandom fanwank in the end :D

I don't think Iceland will come near to winning but a good result is plausible, given how many people like it.
Also don't get the "joke entry" remarks some people here have. Just because it's quirky and fun doesn't mean it's a joke entry.
There's nothing crazy about the song nor the staging.

musicfan

Ísold & Helga - "Meet Me Halfway"
A ballad. The introduction and first verse are quite gentle; somehow they remind me of Iceland's 1987 entry. The first chorus is also quite gentle. The song gets more upbeat at the start of the second verse (one minute and 15 seconds in), and the second chorus is even more upbeat. Perhaps a bit more could have been put into the bridge than "ooh oh ooh oh". The song ends with a chorus at a pace which is intermediate between the first and second choruses. A good song to open the final.

I like the 1987 song too, though it didn't make me think of that. I didn't find the oohs a distraction, I liked that instead of just repeating the chorus again they went into that different extended section, and then just closed quietly on the start of the chorus. I didn't really see that as a bridge.

"Meet me Halfway" - an attempt on "Sisters" done right?!

I don't see the comparison, it's just two female singers.

5. Ísold & Helga ... Ah, classic Iceland. Exactly why I like it, it has this soft, sweet ethereal quality with folk-y elements that ground it at the same time. It has a strong mood and identity. I definitely prefer the Icelandic version though, and I think there's some other much cooler songs in the selection, this is a bit too Disney.

Folk pop isn't really the same as Disney anyway. Unless you are considered the Icelandic version somehow more folksy than the English language one. But really most modern Eurovision music is smoothed over and some may argue suited to Disney, so we can easily attached that description to other songs that are blander if Disney is thought horrible.

Entire semis for Iceland seem a bit superfluous by now. Oculis Videre is the only viable option left I think. I saw Isold & Helga and even though that's a fine performance they're just not going to be very charming. It just stinks of two talented amateurs chancing their way into ESC because they happened to make a nice ballad.

Fine performance but they are somehow amateurs?

Isold og Helga - Klukkan Tifar: Not much to say here, it's just a nice ballad with an expansive finish that is bound to work pretty well at Eurovision. Everything is there, melodies are solid, it's not overproduced, it's easy to stage. So yeah all the boxes checked, but ballads are generally boring to a lot of people so it's hard to mobilize enough televoters to actually do anything at Eurovision. Safe choice, but I don't predict anything more than a respectable result somewhere mid-table.

Ballads may be boring to most people, but some people obviously don't care about that. Maybe changing Eurovision attitudes would help.

Alaska49

i did think iva was maybe not accessible enough for the icelandic public and it appears that was the case. the week off that allowed daði to gain momentum while she did little for herself hurt, but also the approach towards staging should have been different probably.

A-lister

Veteran
I might have been living under a rock lately, but is it true this entry is connected to the upcoming Netflix original comedy about Eurovision and is Netflix (or people behind that production) using their resources to push the hype and even place bets on this? I am confused, am I missing something or are stories around the net bearing some truth to them?

Schlagerman1

I might have been living under a rock lately, but is it true this entry is connected to the upcoming Netflix original comedy about Eurovision and is Netflix (or people behind that production) using their resources to push the hype and even place bets on this? I am confused, am I missing something or are stories around the net bearing some truth to them?

The entry is not connected to Netflix. But Icelandic TV has got a little money from them (don't remember the exact sum, a few hundredthousands euro at most), which they can use. It hasn't been announced anything more than that some of the money were used in Söngvakeppnin, but I guess that RUV might be going to use it in Rotterdam. On what, I don't know, since the performance is strong enough to just copy paste it, but maybe on promoting the song and such now that they have won wouldn't hurt I guess. Not that it is needed either, since it is doing very well in charts around Europe nevertheless.

A-lister

Veteran
The entry is not connected to Netflix. But Icelandic TV has got a little money from them (don't remember the exact sum, a few hundredthousands euro at most), which they can use. It hasn't been announced anything more than that some of the money were used in Söngvakeppnin, but I guess that RUV might be going to use it in Rotterdam. On what, I don't know, since the performance is strong enough to just copy paste it, but maybe on promoting the song and such now that they have won wouldn't hurt I guess. Not that it is needed either, since it is doing very well in charts around Europe nevertheless.

I see, will be interesting though to see if Netflix also will step in to give some extra boost, as a way to also promote their upcoming movie. Isn't it true though that Netflix also bought streaming rights for Eurovision as a show as well?

Alaska49

this is 100% crazy butthurt iva stans being bitter that daði went viral all by himself and got namedropped by russell crowe lol it's absolutely not true that netflix specifically pushed this entry

AliceEsc

I was living under the same rock. It's basically what @Schlagerman1 said. I read somewhere that the amount is 80000 euros.

Romeo

This is a very important video for us all to see.

We all should try to learn Icelandic before next May!

Reykjavik 2021

Still so many songs left to be announced but I don't care. I would LOVE Iceland to win. From the nation who brought us Selma, Yohanna, Pollaponk, Birgitta, Greta Salome, Euroband, Sjonni's Friends, and let's not gorget Her Royal Highness Silvia Night etc. They deserve a win

A-lister

Veteran
this is 100% crazy butthurt iva stans being bitter that daði went viral all by himself and got namedropped by russell crowe lol it's absolutely not true that netflix specifically pushed this entry

:lol:

Could be, I wasn't really involving myself much in this selection so I didn't really follow the aftermath much tbh , I would have personally chosen Iva but it is what it is, such rumors are silly (yet slightly entertaining :lol:)

NemesisNick

This afternoon I made a video of my opinions on the winning entries for the Eurovision Song Contest 2020; Iceland: Daði & Gagnamagnið - "Think About Things" and Serbia: Hurricane - "Hasta la vista" (I decided to cover both in one video). N.B. I watched Söngvakeppnin 2020 Final live online from the UK Saturday evening; in fact I posted comments on here as I was watching it. However it took me until after breakfast this morning to discover Serbia's winning entry online; I didn't know Serbia's national final took place last night.

Nemesis Nick Talks Eurovision: Iceland and Serbia 2020

Romeo

All this talk about Netflix has me thinking... When is the film out?

Storm

Honestly I'm pretty confident Iceland is going to win. I listened to it again and I get the appeal. It is not necessarily for me but this will do very well even with juries.

kaarendew

Just a quick question. If Iva or Dimma had won, would the same debate be going on? I.e. that it's sponsored by Netflix. I mean, if the movie is about Iceland & Eurovision, it really wouldn't matter what song won just as long as it's Icelandic.

And an fyi, Daði is extremely popular with kids here in Iceland and let me tell you who is the target audience for the whole Söngvakeppnin. You're right, it's kids. Kids that nag and whine to their parents for a chance to vote until they give in. People in their 20's - 40's think it's lame (with a few exceptions) and people 40+ think it's a drain on our resources and the money should be spent on our health care system and the elderly. Just spend 5 minutes with my grandpa during Eurovision season. It will drain any excitement you might have of this competition out of your body. But of course everyone has their own fans and those fans will vote. Dimma has a fan base, Daði has a fan base. Personally I had never heard about the other four before, except I read a thing Iva posted on Facebook that went a bit viral here a couple of months ago and was published in online papers. That was the extent of my knowledge.

Iva was a bit controversial here because of said opinion piece she wrote about a tv show where mentally and physically challenged people travel the country and experience things. It was her opinion but it rubbed some the wrong way and they remembered. I also didn't really see any hype for her over here, it's a beautiful song but it kinda went the way of Meet Me Halfway, no one was talking about it. Echo at least had the kids on its side so I definitely heard it and it was talked about.

Dimma is just extremely popular and, as I wrote before, my whole village (yes, we're from a village) and the countryside were voting for it hard so didn't really surprise me that much about it going through.

But the thing is, people over here just really seem to like both Daði and the song. It has a fun little dance (that I now have to spend time in May to teach my students, at least its not math), is meaningful (although I like it better in Icelandic but that's neither here nor there), the performance and performers don't take themselves too seriously and offer little jabs at the drama of Eurovision while still being insanely proud that they're going on this journey because, surprise, they do takes this seriously while still having fun doing it.

Also, Russell Crowe loves Iceland. No joke. He's been here loads, supports our football team, has sung at festivals here (wouldn't recommend tho, you've all seen Les Mis) so to me it's not really a stretch that he would like and retweet a fun song from here, Eurovision or not.

Mimmon

Veteran
This is a very important video for us all to see.

We all should try to learn Icelandic before next May!

Reykjavik 2021

Still so many songs left to be announced but I don't care. I would LOVE Iceland to win. From the nation who brought us Selma, Yohanna, Pollaponk, Birgitta, Greta Salome, Euroband, Sjonni's Friends, and let's not gorget Her Royal Highness Silvia Night etc. They deserve a win
Fun Fact I have learned this song by heart so... If im drunk in Icelandic bar I might sing this...

Mimmon

Veteran
This afternoon I made a video of my opinions on the winning entries for the Eurovision Song Contest 2020; Iceland: Daði & Gagnamagnið - "Think About Things" and Serbia: Hurricane - "Hasta la vista" (I decided to cover both in one video). N.B. I watched Söngvakeppnin 2020 Final live online from the UK Saturday evening; in fact I posted comments on here as I was watching it. However it took me until after breakfast this morning to discover Serbia's winning entry online; I didn't know Serbia's national final took place last night.

Nemesis Nick Talks Eurovision: Iceland and Serbia 2020
New sub from me ;)...

Top Bottom