(We used to be the rockstars)

Remembering gets so hard
When time is moving so fast
Wish there was a way to know that we're in
The good old days before we all just leave 'em​

Last edited by a moderator:

mauve

Veteran
Well now that I have taken my chill pill I want to announce that I'm against withdrawing from the contest, lol. If this isn't a wake up call for our broadcaster tho then nothing can help us anymore. I find the medias reaction very interesting. Even our populist Bildzeitung (Germanys Dailymail) hasn't attacked the Contest and instead the NDR and our HOD. In previous years there were a lot of negative comments about Eurovision but this year the media is defending the Contest and is coming for our broadcaster instead. I've also read some good articles about the Contest and them explaining how other countries chose their music acts (Melfest, Sanremo and even Bernidom was mentioned). This is good and I hope the NDR finally listens.

I prefer NFs so I hope we continue having one but with more acts and with a timeless concept. Stop changing it every year. "Unser Song für..." was good and they should've worked with that.
I agree, I also don't want to miss a German NF, but please with a wide diversity of music. But I have to add that I am afraid that the German audience would STILL decide for a "radio-friendly" song and not for a bold one. It scares me that we will always be in the same situation as we are now. That's my pessimistic ESC soul living inside me now. xcoffee

PolarFoxxie.

I feel so sorry for Germany. Of course i expected the last place though, but still coming Last is always a bad thing. It stays with you for the rest of your life.

shameless

Yet here we were with selections that always preferred the beige of the beige or the most popular ones (both in these years 2015 and 2016 a recent The Voice winner won) and the one time it was internal (2021) it was absurd as hell. Not sure how Ben Dolic would have feared but still the resume after 2012 speaks for itself. Even though I feel sorry for Malik it was not undeserved. Nothing made sense about the entry, a 24 year old singing a nostalgic song about the good old days? from the lyrics to the composition and to the performance - everything seemed 2nd class and very provincial just like the entire selection was.
So I am somehow satisfied with yet another last place because it gives the biggest hope that next year there will be a change and if not, at least everyone now came to terms that its the NDR who's to blame and the problems became evident.

mauve

Veteran
Don't know if this link was already posted:

Translated:
One takes the poor result "very seriously," said an NDR spokeswoman for the editorial network Germany. According to the report, she also emphasized: "The selection process for the ESC 2023 will look different than that for this year's ESC." How exactly will be announced "when it is". It is currently "too early" for details. The spokeswoman also said: "NDR is still responsible for the German contribution to the Eurovision Song Contest." The clear goal is to "reach a place at the top".

So as it seems, NDR will continue, but with a different selection process. Is it so hard to say at the same time, that the aim are NOT radio-friendly songs and that this time ALL genres are welcome? Sorry, but I doubt about what they say. Goal is to reach a place at the top? Seriously? Should I :ROFLMAO: about it or :cry: ? How on earth should that become reality as long as people work on it with absolute no idea what ESC means? xangry

Deleted member 12761

At least the ratings are good/stable. 7.3 mio. people watched it. A little bit less than last year (7.7). I wonder how many watched it on youtube and the Mediathek. I watched it in their Mediathek. Those are numbers they unfortunately don't count yet. It's 2022 and it's time to count streaming to the ratings. The GF has I think 15 mio. clicks on youtube. The pre and aftershow party also did good. The ratings would be higher if the NDR worked harder and send better acts.

shameless

Yeah, its really frustrating. The NDR has been in charge since 1996 (funnily the only time Germany didn't perform in the GF) - thats TWENTYSIX YEARS of reign and if we would ignore the times where Raab / ProSieben were somehow involved in the entries, the success rate would be quite low (only Sürpriz, Michélle and Michael Schulte as top 10 entries).
However, I doubt that any other regional broadcaster is interested in doing it. Would be interesting to see how e.g. RBB would organize a pre-selection. Maybe it would involve more Berlin-based artists that actually have some more interesting background?

PolarFoxxie.

I wasn't able to watch semifinals on German chanels. Why german broadcaster decided only to show final. People pay for tv taxes to them. If I pay them, they should provide me content of international significance like Olympic games or Eurovision. Bad ratings or bad results, i don't care. Such a shame. If Peter Urban and Malik Harris can go to Turin on my expanse and from my pocket and if Germany finances this show on my expanse and from my pocket, at least show us semifinals.

Laepo1

At least the ratings are good/stable. 7.3 mio. people watched it. A little bit less than last year (7.7). I wonder how many watched it on youtube and the Mediathek. I watched it in their Mediathek. Those are numbers they unfortunately don't count yet. It's 2022 and it's time to count streaming to the ratings. The GF has I think 15 mio. clicks on youtube. The pre and aftershow party also did good. The ratings would be higher if the NDR worked harder and send better acts.

A lot of people, specially immigrants like me, watch it on youtube since there is no german involved lol

Black Smoke and Ghost really didnt deserve last

Black Smoke definetly not, my #2 that year. I have no memory of Ghost though.

Franzilein

I wasn't able to watch semifinals on German chanels. Why german broadcaster decided only to show final. People pay for tv taxes to them. If I pay them, they should provide me content of international significance like Olympic games or Eurovision. Bad ratings or bad results, i don't care. Such a shame. If Peter Urban and Malik Harris can go to Turin on my expanse and from my pocket and if Germany finances this show on my expanse and from my pocket, at least show us semifinals.

Please stop talking out of your butt for once. You could watch both semifinals on ONE, sub channel of ARD...

ESC94

Yesterday I watched a bit of a morning show before going to work, and there a "society expert" talked a bit about the ESC. Well, watching it was a big mistake because I just wanted to kick my TV afterwards!! xgaah

Vanessa Blumhagen, the "expert" was seriously playing the victim card and said " :de: has a bad image" and that´s why it ended up last. She also made really nasty remarks about :is: (70s, boring), :fr: (witch circle) and especially :rs: (didn´t deserve to end up high, only successful because of mentioning Meghan Markle and washing hands). xfacepalm

I just wanted so scream: "Shut the f***k up you clueless b***h!!" She had absolutely NO IDEA how the ESC works, just like the people at NDR, and that it´s still an entertainment show and that just being "nice" isn´t enough to score well!! I was soo angry!! xangry

The host wasn't any better either. She also said she couldn't understand it at all because it was "such a great song" and everyone thought it was completely undeserved. Well, maybe she should have looked on the Facebook page of Eurovision.de or in other forums, actually EVERYONE said that with this song you won´t achieve anything, but that would probably have been too much research effort, instead behaving like a pettish child and ranting about the fact that "no one" likes Germany. The fact that we reached fourth place in 2018 with a great, authentic and harmonious performance was of course not mentioned. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PolarFoxxie.

No they showed something else in that time on erste. It was a movie or tv series. I had to watch it from internet on my phone.

shameless

No they showed something else in that time on erste. It was a movie or tv series. I had to watch it from internet on my phone.
Das Erste = ARD, main channel
ONE = site channel from ARD which is free to receive for everyone, also broadcasts to the internet for german IP adresses for free

You are worse than a grumpy old lady that poisons the dogs of their neighbours. Please stop trolling for once.

ESC94

Das Erste = ARD, main channel
ONE = site channel from ARD which is free to receive for everyone, also broadcasts to the internet for german IP adresses for free

You are worse than a grumpy old lady that poisons the dogs of their neighbours. Please stop trolling for once.

Just ignore this troll, I haven´t read a single comment from him that made sense.:rolleyes:

PolarFoxxie.

:censored::cry:Just ignore this troll, I haven´t read a single comment from him that made sense.:rolleyes:
Just because you don't like My postse, it doesn't mean it makes no sense.

PS so one is the side 3rd or 4th sub side chanel of erste (first) Chanel. I think i don't have that irrelevant Chanel. Only main, most popular ones. Ones that have been broadcasting it for years. Also, i am almost completely blind person. I cannot permit watching it on my phone. And i still did it.

midnightsun

Veteran
I am truly surprised how good his other songs are. He‘s posting stuff from his tour that started this week and he‘s a really great artist. Listening to his songs makes me wonder if he was told by the NDR to write a midtempo radio classic because his songs show a variety of other genres too.
He‘s so humble and down-to-earth and he‘s so involved in helping the Ukraine, I wish him all the best!

midnightsun

Veteran
Yeah, its really frustrating. The NDR has been in charge since 1996 (funnily the only time Germany didn't perform in the GF)
and the ARD didn’t want to host the ESC that year because they were sore losers.
And now we‘re stuck with the NDR who are promising, like every year, we will of course take a deeper look on what went wrong, take this very seriously and will have a completely different selection process next year…

Yeah, as if. I think we already had all kinds of selections so the only thing we can do right now is asking some Swede to write the song and searching for an international The Voice candidate to sing the song for us… :ROFLMAO:

Zerocalcare

It only takes a few things to allow Germany to be competitive:
  1. Create a music selection format and work on that without changing it every time.
  2. Give space to other musical genres and don't believe only in radio-friendly songs.
  3. Try singing in German. If the Netherlands or the Slavic countries do it why can't Germany do it?
Avoid ending up like Malta, San Marino and other nations that rely on foreign songwriters. So you will finally kill all your hopes and become the largest satellite country. You must having your own identity and not borrowing it from others. It is as if you were not using your mines and buying what you already have from others. Take a good look at your home that the artists are there and trust them! Take a risk and if you finish last once again you will have done so by experimenting and being courageous and not stagnating in a system where only failure is proven.

Last edited:
Top Bottom