27 12.3%

19 8.6%

19 8.6%

21 9.5%

25 11.4%

39 17.7%

• Total voters

sigi

Levina deserved a better place.....she is a great singer!

revallsay

Yeah, make fun of us. We deserve it 1000 times.
And next year you can do it again. All day long I have heard or read nothing that would indicate any change in Germany's way of finding an ESC entry.

Well, Levina and the girl from the previous year really deserved last/second-last place, but Annie didn't.

You could congratulate us few points from jury too xheart

ChrisOL

I have no clue what we can expect for next year... Should we lower our expectations?

midnightsun

Veteran
The problem is, Germany always tries to be serious. Everything seems to be a bit dated, songwise, outfitwise... Elaiza, Ann Sophie and Levina are the best examples. Germans have to realize nobody in Europe listens to this kind of music. Otherwise Austria wouldn't have gotten zero points in the televote because Running on air is exactly that kind of song that is often played on German radios. I expected 12 points for them from either jury and telephone voters. But I knew/predicted it wouldn't do well overall, as the Netherlands too, for example. They just benefitted from having nice voices and a sad story about their mum. But those are not the kind of songs Europe wants. You have to have an overall package of great voice and performance or something outstanding, but not Jamie-Lee-outstanding, this was simply too ridiculous. Next year we should send any funny crap and it would probably gather more points than Levina.

ChrisOL

Actually, if you look at Germany's Eurovision history, we always had streaks of good placements in the end and in the beginning of a decade. (At least in this century) But this also happened in the 70s (three 3rd places in a row) and in the 80s (two 2nd places and Nicole). :lol:

1998: 7th
1999: 3rd
2000: 5th
2001: 8th

2010: 1st
2011: 10th
2012: 8th

I know that there have been good placements between sometimes, but it's just something that really stands out - Maybe it's finally the time for this streak again. (Might be complete bullsh*t but I love statistics :lol:, could also mean that there have been some turning points in the end of a decade though)

GermanBango

I don't want "funny crap". I want something I can be proud of.
The only way out is basically an internal selection. The German public isn't able to go for innovative/progressive songs ... just take a look at what they rejected in the years 2013 - 2015... "Heart on the line", "Frozen Silence", "Mother Earth", "Wechselt die Beleuchtung", "Cotton Candy Hurricane", ... the list goes on and on. All of them would've without a doubt done better than the songs that actually have been chosen by the GERMAN PUBLIC. It shouldn't come as a surprise that we had two super bland songs in our NF this year ... why even bother looking for interesting songs when they don't get selected anyway. Yes, the NDR/ARD is doing a rather horrible job and it wouldn't hurt if they would at least listen to us fans a little BUT all of this is indeed the fault the German public as well. The German music industry is a wasteland simply because everything sounds exactly the same ... Andreas Bourani, Tim Bendzko, Sarah Connor, or some wannabe DJ's remixing some 50 year old songs... its all the same boring shit that nobody outside of Germany cares about.
Believe me, I am super sick of people around me crying about how much Europe hates us and that we shouldn't send anyone to Eurovision anymore because it is "a waste of money" ... as if it was that easy.

ChrisOL

The only way out is basically an internal selection. The German public isn't able to go for innovative/progressive songs ... just take a look at what they rejected in the years 2013 - 2015... "Heart on the line", "Frozen Silence", "Mother Earth", "Wechselt die Beleuchtung", "Cotton Candy Hurricane", ... the list goes on and on. All of them would've without a doubt done better than the songs that actually have been chosen by the GERMAN PUBLIC. It shouldn't come as a surprise that we had two super bland songs in our NF this year ... why even bother looking for interesting songs when they don't get selected anyway. Yes, the NDR/ARD is doing a rather horrible job and it wouldn't hurt if they would at least listen to us fans a little BUT all of this is indeed the fault the German public as well. The German music industry is a wasteland simply because everything sounds exactly the same ... Andreas Bourani, Tim Bendzko, Sarah Connor, or some wannabe DJ's remixing some 50 year old songs... its all the same boring shit that nobody outside of Germany cares about.
Believe me, I am super sick of people around me crying about how much Europe hates us and that we shouldn't send anyone to Eurovision anymore because it is "a waste of money" ... as if it was that easy.

I know it's not everyone's taste and it's mostly satirical - but you should watch Jan Böhmermann's "Eier aus Stahl - Max Giesinger" in case you don't know it yet. This is truly relatable to the problems of our national final that we have to face again every year. :/ Not only Max Giesinger at all, but our German music industry.

I'm not even sure if our music industry could write and produce songs like Loreen's "Euphoria", "My heart is refusing me" and so on, or if they even want to produce something like this. They can probably only do Borani, Giesinger and Bendzko...

Daybreak

This actually makes me a bit interested in what's going on in the German music industry lol. I used to be familiar with it like in 2006 or so because I had Viva in my cable package and I quite liked it, I even remember wondering why their Eurovision choices don't reflect their music industry :D

ParadiseES

Levina was so lucky to participate in the same edition as Manel.

Gordon_Shumway

just take a look at what they rejected in the years 2013 - 2015... "Heart on the line", "Frozen Silence", "Mother Earth", "Wechselt die Beleuchtung", "Cotton Candy Hurricane", ... the list goes on and on. All of them would've without a doubt done better than the songs that actually have been chosen by the GERMAN PUBLIC.

I agree 100% on that.
Nevertheless: If I had to pick one direction, I would still recommend to withdraw for some years. Mr. Schreiber's attitude is as unflexible as can be. He will go on and on and on with the same system for years to come. As long as he is in charge, history will only repeat itself. Just my humble opinion.

It was very pleasant exchanging opinions with you over the past weeks. Thanks for that.
Little off-topic: There are greater problems than the ESC, after this horrible horrible election result in my part of Germany today. No majorities for social justice.
I will go to bed with a very depressed mind tonight. Bye.

GermanBango

I agree 100% on that.
Nevertheless: If I had to pick one direction, I would still recommend to withdraw for some years. Mr. Schreiber's attitude is as unflexible as can be. He will go on and on and on with the same system for years to come. As long as he is in charge, history will only repeat itself. Just my humble opinion.

It was very pleasant exchanging opinions with you over the past weeks. Thanks for that.
Little off-topic: There are greater problems than the ESC, after this horrible horrible election result in my part of Germany today. No majorities for social justice.
I will go to bed with a very depressed mind tonight. Bye.

I feel you bro. *pats you back*

HSV1887

Ugh, don't remind me! I'm also still sad about the omission of Gregorian. Could it have been another potential Eurovision flop? Sure, but they would have put on a great show at least and that is something we haven't had in quite a while.

Top Bottom