6 3.3%

6 3.3%

3 1.7%

5 2.8%

9 5.0%

• Total voters

John1

Re: FYR MACEDONIA 2018

Well obviously they didn't otherwise they wouldn't have been banned. The EBU even said they can still participate if they pay their debts or renegotiate their debts in time, which obviously means they haven't paid any debts.

Ermmm it's actually been stated by some newspapers that the Macedonian government went on to afford and thus pay all of these debts.

Last year, the EBU announced the participant list of 2017 on the 31st of October... maybe we will know more tomorrow ? ;)

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member

At least this time they disqualify someone before the actual edition starts. -.-

DanielLuis

Ermmm it's actually been stated by some newspapers that the Macedonian government went on to afford and thus pay all of these debts.

Ermmm, the Macedonian debt to the EBU was 2 million euros a couple of years ago. Now it's unknown, but it's known that they only reduced the debt by 200000€. Plus they still owe 15000000€+ to other entities and their budget for 2018 is only 18000000€.
Do you actually think if they had paid their debt already the EBU would have disqualified them? Don't be silly. They even said in their statement that Macedonia can still take part if they restructure their debt in the next few months. Let's hope that happens.

John1

Ermmm, the Macedonian debt to the EBU was 2 million euros a couple of years ago. Now it's unknown, but it's known that they only reduced the debt by 200000€. Plus they still owe 15000000€+ to other entities and their budget for 2018 is only 18000000€.
Do you actually think if they had paid their debt already the EBU would have disqualified them? Don't be silly. They even said in their statement that Macedonia can still take part if they restructure their debt in the next few months. Let's hope that happens.

I'm only telling you that I saw some newspapers reporting this information. Moreover, I don't think that the EBU has deeply changed its way of working when it comes to preventing some broadcasters from taking part for some silly reasons besides. Don't overreact like that.
To my mind, the Macedonian government did pay back the whole debt a couple of days ago and these announcements have been made prior to this action, that's it.

Stiven

Today the Association of Journalists of Macedonia (AJM) have asked the government to solve the debt issue in the fastest time possible:

And they blamed the bad management and nonfunctional way funding of MRT for the debt.

Stiven

And in the end they didn't compromise... The EBU stayed the EBU :lol:

It might also have to do with the fact that the current government announced that it will fire politically hired staff from the previous government (most likely to replace them with their own loyalist). Most likely one of them is Meri Popova (our HoD) who only has her job due to her ties to the previous government. Anyway while the news is disappointing I'm still looking forward to the first Eurovision hosted in Portugal, and if Meri Popova is fired then that will mean that the one-year break is worth it.

DanielLuis

It might also have to do with the fact that the current government announced that it will fire politically hired staff from the previous government (most likely to replace them with their own loyalist). Most likely one of them is Meri Popova (our HoD) who only has her job due to her ties to the previous government. Anyway while the news is disappointing I'm still looking forward to the first Eurovision hosted in Portugal, and if Meri Popova is fired then that will mean that the one-year break is worth it.

Portugal and Ukraine won after a one-year break! I hope the Macedonian delegation won't be seating doing nothing throughout 2018 - hopefully they will create a new concept for the Macedonian participation, like RTP did during 2016, and come back with all the power and the best Macedonian result ever in 2019!

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

FCUK......not happy with this decision. I know money rules the world but still.

But as [MENTION=6762]DanielLuis[/MENTION] pointed out, both Ukraine and Portugal won the contest after taking a one-year break so maybe this is becoming a new thing? But then that would mean Russia wins next year......

DanielLuis

FCUK......not happy with this decision. I know money rules the world but still.

But as [MENTION=6762]DanielLuis[/MENTION] pointed out, both Ukraine and Portugal won the contest after taking a one-year break so maybe this is becoming a new thing? But then that would mean Russia wins next year......

If this becomes the trend by 2020 we will have only 15 or 16 countries participating in each edition :lol: One-year breaks for everybody :lol:

aletem

Portugal and Ukraine won after a one-year break! I hope the Macedonian delegation won't be seating doing nothing throughout 2018 - hopefully they will create a new concept for the Macedonian participation, like RTP did during 2016, and come back with all the power and the best Macedonian result ever in 2019!
Portugal is not the best example. You are using the same old formula as before and didn't participate twice when Sweden hosted. Based on your selection method, you will pick something like in 2015 again. And you won because you had a "Conchita" character.
Ukraine won coz the jury voted against Russia pretty much.

DanielLuis

Portugal is not the best example. You are using the same old formula as before and didn't participate twice when Sweden hosted. Based on your selection method, you will pick something like in 2015 again. And you won because you had a "Conchita" character.
Ukraine won coz the jury voted against Russia pretty much.

The selection of artists and composers for our NF changed dramatically. And this change will be even more noticeable in 2018, following Salvador's win.
Looking at the list of the composers for FdC 2018 you can expect a lot more genres and high quality music.
And what won wasn't the character. It was the song.

DanielLuis

Re: FYR MACEDONIA 2018 - Not taking part

ESC Bubble said that Jon Ola Sand gave a statement saying that the EBU and RTP are working with MKRTV to possibly allow Macedonian participation in 2018. I don't know how reliable this site is though.

EDIT: ESC Today has published this statement too so I guess it's reliable! We might still see Macedonia in Lisbon next year!!

tuorem

Re: FYR MACEDONIA 2018 - Not taking part

ESC Bubble said that Jon Ola Sand gave a statement saying that the EBU and RTP are working with MKRTV to possibly allow Macedonian participation in 2018. I don't know how reliable this site is though.

EDIT: ESC Today has published this statement too so I guess it's reliable! We might still see Macedonia in Lisbon next year!!

If it were true, why would they reveal the list of all participants now? xthink Couldn't they wait?

Top Bottom