Contact us

FSC Sweden

A-lister

Veteran
:se: FSC#132 - February 2020 :se:

Miriam Bryant
Du med dig

ElkqoFX.jpg

Third time the charm? It's time again for singer Miriam Bryant to enter the FSC for Sweden following the successful debut in the contest back in August 2013 with the entry Push Play , that ended up second, and later on her collaboration with NEIKED back in the August 2019 edition with the entry How Did I Find You , which unfortunately flopped, so will she manage to take revenge from that setback with this entry?

The song Du med dig (You with You) is Bryant's first single released from her first Swedish language album, and can be described stylistically as a form of contemporary Vispop , which is a genre that blends Swedish traditional type of lyrical ballads with Pop. Lyrically, the song refers to Bryant's relationship with the Swedish capital Stockholm and the difficulty for an outsider moving into the capital and/-or largest city of a country to really find her place and feel at home there, which is relatable to many people out there who did such a move. The title and the meaning of the song isn't so easy to translate to English, as it plays with the distinction in the Swedish language between the informal version of You (= Du) (used mostly between family members and friends) and the more formal Ni (= Thee) (traditionally used in more formal settings and when there has been a hierarchical ranking), and in the past in Sweden you only used Du to those that were closer to you, which Bryant hints in her lyrics she never managed to become with her new adopted hometown.

LYRICS:

LYRICS [ENGLISH TRANSLATION]:

A-lister

Veteran
As for the Swedish results this edition, I am slightly surprised (or even a bit shocked!) to see it flopping this hard (Sweden's third worse results to date!), I didn't expect some major success really (as that rarely happens to the Swedish language entries I send), but this bad? It's unfortunate that almost every time I try to send something in Swedish it's flopping... oh well... nevertheless...

Thank you to everyone that supported the Swedish entry in the FSC#132 - February 2020 edition ! xhug

21 pts

:8: :dk: :il:
:3: :ch:
:2: :ie:

... and a recap of (my) Sweden's votes this edition:

:12: :pl:
:10: :ua:
:8: :no:
:7: :dk:
:6: :it:
:5: :tr:
:4: :fr:
:3: :il:
:2: :ch:
:1: :br:

A-lister

Veteran
:se: FSC#133 - March 2020 :se:

Winona Oak

Let Me Know

p0OVvG8.jpg

PRESENTATION:

For this edition, Sweden is sending the 25-year old newcomer Johanna Ekmark, known under her stage name Winona Oak and the entry Let Me Know , taken from the singer's debut EP titled Closure , which was released earlier this year. Ekmark debuted in 2018 and was featured on the American DJ and Production duo The Chainsmoker's single Hope followed up by solo singles such as He Don't Love Me and Break My Broken Heart .

This edition's entry draws inspiration from acts such as Marina & The Diamonds and Florence & The Machine , and is a melodic indie-Pop song with a nice build-up that eventually ends up in a big, almost anthemic-like, Pop chorus.

LYRICS:

A-lister

Veteran
It's nice to rebound after last edition's flop, and it's also really nice to find ourselves within the top. 3 for the first time in nearly a year! :D

Thank you to everyone that supported the Swedish entry in the FSC#133 - March 2020 edition ! xhug

114 pts

:12: :at:
:10: :id: :ro:
:8: :de: :pt:
:7: :cz: :za: :uk:
:5: :hr: :cy: :dk:
:4: :bg: :ca: :no: :es:
:3: :nl:
:2: :my: :ph:
:1: :tr:

:12: :be:
:10: :il:
:8: :ua:
:7: :ru:
:6: :bg:
:5: :ca:
:4: :nl:
:3: :za:
:2: :it:
:1: :cy:

A-lister

Veteran
:se:FSC#134 - April 2020 :se:

Klara & Jag

Måste jag dö?

iS4VAAj.jpg

PRESENTATION:

For this edition, Sweden is sending the female Pop-duo Klara & Jag consisting of 25-year olds Klara Wörmann and Johanna Frostling. The duo debuted back in 2017 with the single Samma gamla nätter [Same Old Nights] and released their debut EP Storyn of My Life the following year. The duo blends Pop with indie-Pop and sometimes also Swedish-styled Schlager-Pop and 80's Pop, the latter influences can be heard in this edition's entry Måste jag dö? [Do I Have to Die?], the duo's sixth single to date which was released in 2019. The catchy Pop song has traces of both Swedish Schlager-Pop as well as 1980's synth-Pop, and like so many other songs, talks about a relationship that is about break down.

LYRICS:

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Now I would lie if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed with the result for Sweden this edition however, especially after seeing so many adding it to their "top. 20s" in here. I didn't know what to expect though, but a top.15 maybe? I am really trying to balance the Swedish entries with also showcasing our language and style that is more "in line" with our local Pop scene here, but unfortunately most of the times I pick a native language entry (in that style) it tends to flop. Maybe I'm hearing something others don't?, I really hope it's not a linguistic thing though?, because I find our language quite fine sounding (I know hearing your own language is something else but I always thought of Swedish as a melodic language). Anyways, I will continue to showcase our language in this contest every now and then and be true to my own taste! (y):), I think some of the songs might need a bit of warming up to but that's why we got a month ;) So with that being said...

Thank you to everyone that supported the Swedish entry in the FSC#134 - April 2020 edition ! xhug

44 pts

:10: :rs:
:7: :ru:
:6: :dk:
:5: :il:
:3: :lv: :ph::uk:
:2: :it:
:1: :az::br::bg: :pt::tr:

:12: :ua:
:10: :ph:
:8: :ru:
:7: :uk:
:5: :pl:
:4: :za:
:3: :at:
:2: :ca:
:1: :no:

Last edited:

theditz83

Veteran
Personally I love the Swedish language @A-lister and it certainly doesn't turn me off at all. I guess it's about finding the right song that people can still connect to even if they don't understand the lyrics. Melody and production/vocals will be more important than ever ;)

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Personally I love the Swedish language @A-lister and it certainly doesn't turn me off at all. I guess it's about finding the right song that people can still connect to ever if they don't understand the lyrics. Melody and production/vocals will be more important than ever ;)

Cool to hear! :), I'm just out there speculating on things and thought maybe the language is the "issue" here, I don't find what's so wrong with the melody, production and vocals either though haha :LOL::unsure: , we'll see how the next Swedish language entry will do... my crystal ball tells me it won't do well but we'll see ;)

Marite

Definitely agreed with the above comment!^^ I've joined the FSC just before voting was done, so I only got to listen to all the songs once. The Swedish entry was one of the few ones that I remember now, though I would say that since it was so early in the running order this time, it just got a bit forgotten while in the process of listening to the rest of the songs. I'm listening to it at the moment and it definitely would have gone up a bit more in my ranking after multiple listens as I find it catchy (in a positive way). When it comes to the language itself, it was actually the English lines that pretty much everyone knows that took me a bit out of the moment, I guess. xthink

Zorjan

FSC Mod
Staff member
Before 2020 I didn't really like most of the Swedish entries, no matter whether they were in English or Swedish, but it seems most of my favorites are in fact in Swedish :eek: I don't know whether it's because I understand it..? But I guess it's mostly about the genre and melody of the song..
That being said, nearly all of my top 10 rankings have been in English, and only one of the four Danish entries finishing up 30th or below has been in English

A-lister

Veteran
Definitely agreed with the above comment!^^ I've joined the FSC just before voting was done, so I only got to listen to all the songs once. The Swedish entry was one of the few ones that I remember now, though I would say that since it was so early in the running order this time, it just got a bit forgotten while in the process of listening to the rest of the songs. I'm listening to it at the moment and it definitely would have gone up a bit more in my ranking after multiple listens as I find it catchy (in a positive way). When it comes to the language itself, it was actually the English lines that pretty much everyone knows that took me a bit out of the moment, I guess. xthink

Before 2020 I didn't really like most of the Swedish entries, no matter whether they were in English or Swedish, but it seems most of my favorites are in fact in Swedish :eek: I don't know whether it's because I understand it..? But I guess it's mostly about the genre and melody of the song..
That being said, nearly all of my top 10 rankings have been in English, and only one of the four Danish entries finishing up 30th or below has been in English

It's really interesting to hear your feedback and comments guys! I mean ultimately I am in this contest to discover new music from around the world, alot of which I would have never heard of if it wasn't for this contest, in a similar fashion that I was originally drawn to the Eurovision Song Contest to discover European music. Also, sharing music from Sweden is another aspect that is one of the main reasons I am in this. Now Sweden is a big player on the global music scene, but for me it has always been important to stay true to my own taste and also use this as a platform to every now and then showcase local music, as well as our language, which is unknown to the masses outside of Sweden (and sometimes even within Sweden). As for the competition part of it all, it's just a bonus, and for me it's not so much about winning or getting into the top. positions every month, but it's an indicator if people appreciate the music I pick or not (not that it should be read too much into that).

A-lister

Veteran
:se: FSC#135 - May 2020 :se:

Måns Zelmerlöw
One

JKSL8zZ.jpg

PRESENTATION:

May usually means Eurovision month, but due to the circumstances we currently face, as every Eurovision fan out there is aware of, we need to wait until next year to (hopefully) have that same annual feeling again. However, in celebration of the Eurovision spirit, in timing with the month, Sweden is sending our latest winner of the contest Måns Zelmerlöw and the catchy and timeless, almost Eurovision-esque, mid-tempo Pop entry One , taken from the singer's sixth standard studio album released in the autumn of 2019.

Zelmerlöw's career started back in 2005 at the age of 19 when he entered, and ultimately ended up fifth, in the Swedish Idol -TV talent show. It wasn't until two years later however that he would release his first single Cara Mia, which was also his first entry to the Swedish selection Melodifestivalen for the Eurovision Song Contest, where he ended up third in the final. The single also gave Måns his first number 1 single on the official Swedish Singles charts, followed by his debut album titled Stand by For... which also topped the Swedish Album charts as well as included the top. 10 single Brother Oh Brother.

In 2009, Zelmerlöw would once again try his luck at representing Sweden at the Eurovision Song Contest, this time with the entry Hope & Glory, which ended up fourth in the final of the national selection and gave Zelmerlöw his second top. 3 single in the charts, followed by his second chart topping album MZW. Skipping past two Christmas album releases and his third standard studio album, Zelmerlöw would have his 'third time the charm'- moment in 2015 when he ultimately won the ticket to represent Sweden in Eurovision Song Contest that year with the entry Heroes which also went on to win the whole European final, giving Sweden its sixth victory in the contest since the country's debut in 1958.

Apart from his career as a recording artist, Zelmerlöw has also starred in various musicals and had a quite successful career as a TV-host, co-hosting Melodifestivalen 2010 , Eurovision Song Contest 2016 and the British national selection to the Eurovision Song Contest in 2018 as well as being the the sole host of the popular annual Swedish music sing-a-long TV summer show Allsång på Skansen between the years 2011-12.

LYRICS:

A-lister

Veteran
The result this edition was certainly a step up from last month so that's nice and it was something around what I think was expected for that particular entry, although I must say I personally like some of our previous entries (that did much worse result-wise) better than this entry so oddly bittersweet to be back in the top. 10 again, although it's of course always nice to end up in the top. 10 !

Thank you to everyone that supported the Swedish entry in the FSC#135 - May 2020 edition ! xhug

83 pts

:10: :ba: :ru: :uk:
:8: :rs: :ua:
:7: :ro:
:6: :es:
:5: :ie:
:4: :id: :il: :ma:
:3: :no:
:2: :cz: :za:

:12: :es:
:10: :il:
:8: :ca:
:7: :hu:
:6: :cy:
:4: :uk:
:3: :az:
:2: :za:
:1: :pl:

A-lister

Veteran
:se: FSC#136 - June 2020 :se:

Anna Bergendahl

Home

LcP1E8P.jpg

PRESENTATION:

From one former Swedish Idol participant and Melodifestivalen winner to another, this month's entrant is 28-year old Anna Bergendahl with the catchy, yet mature, warm, yet with a touch of Scandinavian melancholy, and melodic timeless mid-tempo Pop song Home which combined with Anna's unique, slightly Tracy Chapman-like, vocals and a bit of a singer-songwriter campfire mood gives the song some extra flavor setting it apart from other Pop songs out there.

Anna started her career in music with entering the 2008 edition of the TV talent-reality show Swedish Idol , where she eventually ended up fifth. Two years later she would debut her first single This is My Life in that year's edition of the Swedish national selection to Eurovision Song Contest ; Melodifestivalen, which she also won and and thus got the ticket to represent Sweden in the international contest. The single, as well as her following debut album titled Yours Sincerely, both topped the official singles chart and album chart in Sweden respectively. In Eurovision, the song would eventually end up 9th in the televoting results of her semifinal, however due to juries "only" ranking the entry at 11th, she just lost out qualifying to the final by one position, becoming the only Swedish entrant so far not to have qualified to a grand final of the contest.

Anna would enroll to studies to become a medical doctor parallel to continue doing music on the side, and eventually in 2019 she would be back in Melodifestivalen yet again with the entry Ashes to Ashes , which ended 10th in the grand final. Earlier this year, she tried her luck a third time to represent Sweden once again at Eurovision, entering the song Kingdom Come in this year's edition of Melodifestivalen, where she ended up 3rd in the final, this also gave her her second top. 10 charting single in Sweden.
Who knows, maybe she will be luckier representing Sweden in this edition of the FSC?

LYRICS:

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Happy to see a great result for :se: this edition xcheer, especially to see support from many jurors that not often vote for our entries :love:

Thank you to everyone that supported the Swedish entry in the FSC#136 - June 2020 edition ! xhug

141 pts

:12: :cy:
:10: :il: :es:
:8: :ca: :ua:
:7: :az: :hr: :de: :id: :lv: :lt: :ru:
:6: :ph: :ro:
:5: :at: :hu: :ch: :tr:
:4: :uk:
:3: :cz:
:2: :ma: :no:
:1: :pl:

:12: :us:
:10: :za:
:8: :de:
:7: :nl:
:6: :rs:
:5: :lt:
:4: :mx:
:3: :it:
:2: :pl:
:1: :no:

A-lister

Veteran
:se: FSC#137 - July 2020 :se:

Dotter

Backfire

ux8qLtF.jpg

PRESENTATION:

So, the northern hemisphere is in the midst of the summer season, and while summer this year won't be as we're used to due to the ongoing pandemic, let us all try to dream us away from that for a moment with a proper summer-vibey bop. This edition's entry for Sweden is the catchy, slightly dancehall-inspired, Pop track Backfire performed by Dotter , a song that fits perfect into the summer season.

Now, just like previous editions, Sweden is sending an artist that got her breakthrough taking part in the Swedish selection for the Eurovision Song Contest; Melodifestivalen. Dotter (meaning "Daughter" in Swedish) is the stage name of 33-year old Johanna Maria Jansson, who released her debut single My Flower back in 2014, which was later on followed by singles like Dive [2015] and Evolution [2017].

In 2017, Dotter was one of the co-writers of the Melodifestivalen entry A Million Years which was performed by singer Mariette and ended up fourth in the final. The year after, Dotter would debut in the selection as an act herself with the entry Cry , which unfortunately wouldn't make it to the final but at least would introduce Dotter to a larger audience. In 2019, Dotter featured on former Eurovision winner Måns Zelmerlöw's single Walk With Me, Måns who just recently saw representing Sweden in the FSC.

Dotter got her main breakthrough earlier this year however when she entered Melodifestivalen for a second time as a main act with the entry Bulletproof , a song that nearly won the whole selection, ending up as a runner-up in the final with just 1 point difference to the winner, beating the entry of former Eurovision entrant and Melodifestivalen winner Anna Bergendahl who ended up as a runner-up in the previous FSC edition.

LYRICS:

A-lister

Veteran
Great with yet another top. 3 xcheer , still so close but not really there yet...

Thank you to everyone that supported the Swedish entry in FSC#137 - July 2020 ! xhug

122 pts

:12: :ca: :pl: :rs:
:10: :it: :my:
:8: :id: :ch:
:6: :cy: :lv: :ro: :tr:
:5: :il: :uk:
:3: :az: :bg: :ee: :hu:
:2: :ba: :cz:

:12: :pl:
:10: :it:
:8: :cy:
:7: :ua:
:6: :at:
:4: :il:
:3: :hu:
:2: :ca:
:1: :tr:

A-lister

Veteran
:se:FSC#138 - August 2020 :se:

Hemliga Klubben

Vi har inte mycket kvar

yKzRwKE.jpg

PRESENTATION:

After some editions with more "mainstream" type of Pop entries in English for Sweden, it's time again for a Swedish language indie-Pop entry, this time around with the up-and-coming indie-Pop group Hemliga Klubben (The Secret Club).

The group started out as a four-piece back in 2018, and debuted in early 2019, with founding members Adéle Cechal, Mattias Jonsson, Gustav Gällhagen and Edvin Linderoth, with Linderoth eventually departing from the group in late 2019. Examples of singles previously released by the group are Dina föräldrar (Your Parents) and Gå rå (Leave Then).

This edition's entry Vi har inte mycket kvar (We Don't Have Much Left) is taken from the band's debut EP titled Vem bryr sig om Hemliga Klubben? (Who Cares About the Secret Club?) released in October 2019. The song is a catchy indie-Pop song that tells a story of a relationship that is on the brink of a break-up due to the couple's indifference to each other and different priorities and it is also composed in a clever way to match the point of the story with the song sonically progressing throughout and Cechal's singing becoming more intense as the song goes on, making the listener feel that the relationship sung about is coming to an end, not only through the lyrics, but also from the song itself as it progress.

LYRICS:

Top Bottom