Contact us

FSC Norway

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - August 2020 - The Ella Sisters - Cars

DJnId4D.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC August 2020, making their debut in FSC for Norway, are the talented Norwegian twins The Ella Sisters. Here is some more information about them.

They are Maren and Charlotte Wallevik Hansen, two Norwegian twins and sisters with flame-red hair from Kristiansand on the southern coast of Norway. They have been singing for a while and doing some local gigs, but their first proper debut-single was the song “Cars” which they released in May 2020.

This was a catchy and melodic piece of Power-pop, with energy and harmonies and perhaps also some cool 90s vibes, and it was accompanied by a fresh energetic music video. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC August 2020.

The song is lifted from the duo’s forthcoming debut EP ‘Queens’ due out on 28th August this year.

The Ella Sisters have said in interviews about “Cars” that ”.. this song describes someone who leaves you to pursue happiness elsewhere, without thinking of the possible regrets for the loss.”

On the upcoming EP, from which they recently also released a second single, the Norwegian twins stated: “This EP is representing the feelings that made us want to start a pop band. It was written through experiences we wanted to talk about, with some subjects that we could not let go of: sisterhood, empowerment, friendship, love, underestimation, and self-worth. It was after we had written the songs, that we realized it is all about undressing any behaviour that is no good for you. It is about following your heart. And it is about real friendship. How important it is to have each others back.”

The single has been playlisted on Norwegian radio and has received good reviews from several music review sites on the internet also elsewhere in Europe.

The sisters will promote their new EP-album later this year. We will for sure hear more about this talented Norwegian sister pop-duo in the future.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #138 August 2020, called “Cars”, is a catchy and melodic Power-pop style song co-written and performed strongly and energetically by The Ella Sisters. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter The Ella Sisters in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics for the song in English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for August!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

The Ella Sisters - Cars

I remember vividly the silhouette
Talking about leaving me with no regrets
And you did, and you did

I remember asking where you’re headed to
And you said that a girl like me won’t do
‘Cause I feel, everything

You remember me when the cars run by
You could need somebody by your side
You’re driving in the fast lane all alone
You’re driving in the fast lanes, dangerous

And you’ll see me when the cars run by
You can meet somebody by your side

We’re just like cars (like cars), driving too fast (too fast)
But you take it too far (too far), we’re just like cars

I remember asking daddy if you could stay
Honey, it’s ok not to be ok, all the time (all the time)
You’re figthing like a knight in an armoured suit

But you’re running away when you’re close to the truth
You’re just right, you’re just right

I wonder how you got so cold, are you blurring your sight
Are you losing your senses now
I wonder how you think about the things that made you
Cut me out somehow

I’m moving on, I’m moving on
I don’t really want you to come along

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - September 2020 - Maria Mena - Not OK

sxTsGA3.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC September 2020, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 6 years (and many years hiatus from music), is the very talented Norwegian singer-songwriter Maria Mena. Here is some more information about her.

Maria Viktoria Mena (born in 1986), artist name Maria Mena, is a talented and very popular Norwegian songwriter and pop artist. She was born into an artistic family, her mother, a playwright and her father, a drummer. Both Maria and her brother, Tony, are named after characters from Leonard Bernstein's ’West Side Story’. Her mother is Norwegian and her father is Nicaraguan (Afro-Nicaraguan).

Her father played in several bands in Oslo, Norway which influenced Maria to write and record her own music. When she was 9 years old her parents divorced and she went through a very tough time afterwards. When she was 13 years old she moved to live with her father. She sang and wrote lyrics as a form of ’personal therapy’. "My Lullaby", a song from her diary, expresses her pain from her parents' divorce. She made her father help her make a demo of the song which subsequently, with his help, led to her being signed by Sony Music.

In 2002 she released her debut-album called “Another Phase”. The aforementioned song "My Lullaby" was released as the 2nd single from the album (the 1st single was the song “Free”) and the song reached nr 5 on the Norwegian Singles Chart as well as gaining much radio-play. A successful musical career had begun.

A second album, “Mellow”, came in 2004. Her next major project was the 20058-album “Cause and Effect”. The 1st single from the album was the song “Belly Up” which became very popular in Norway and elsewhere. The 2nd single was the song “All This Time”, another very popular hit, which subsequently represented Norway in FSC April 2009. For this album she received the Spellemannspris (Norwegian Grammy) for Best Female Artist.

Maria Mena: Album Discography

2002 Another Phase
2004 Mellow
2004 White Turns Blue (USA compilation release)
2005 Apparently Unaffected
2008 Cause and Effect
2011 Viktoria
2013 Weapon in Mind
2020 (forthcoming) They Never Leave Their Wives

In late 2010 she released a Christmas-song (cd-single) called “Home For Christmas” which gained much radio-play and then in 2011 she released a new album, “Viktoria”. Several singles were released to critical and fan praise. The final track on this new album was called “Am I Supposed To Apologize” and this was the song chosen as the Norwegian entry in FSC January 2012.

In 2013 Maria released another album called “Weapon in Mind”. Songs on this album were in Maria’s more mainstream R&B pop-style (she has several styles in her music, ranging from this variety to more dramatic, melodic pop songs) and reflected an album that was more joyful, ‘bouncy’ and up-beat in style. The critics were positive in their reviews. The last song on the album, fittingly called “The End”, was - however - more dramatic, melodic pop in style and reflected to a greater degree some of her earlier work. This was the song which represented Norway in FSC April 2014.

After this Maria took a long break from the music business, focusing on other projects in her life. In 2019, however, she began work on new songs for a planned 2020-album. The first single from this new album-project is the critically acclaimed beautiful melodic Pop-ballad “Not OK” which she released in late April 2020. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC September 2020.

She also released a second single in early summer and her forthcoming 2020-album is expected to be released later this autumn. Maria Mena is without doubt a very successful Norwegian singer-songwriter and pop-artist. She writes the lyrics to most of her own songs and the message in the lyrics is very important to her, often telling a personal story. She has much creative talent and many of her songs have interesting arrangements. She is by many in Norway considered one of our best female pop-artists of the past 15 years and has achieved both critical acclaim through the years as well as good commercial sales and a dedicated fan base. Hers is a musical success-story that will surely continue in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #139 September 2020, called “Not OK”, is a beautiful emotional Pop-ballad with melodic harmonies and meaningful lyrics performed by the talented Norwegian singer-songwriter Maria Mena. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Maria Mena again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for September!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Maria Mena - Not OK

It's not like I chose this
I was not given a choice
In a room full of stories
Mine was just another voice

How does she do it?
Without making any sound?
I cry after hours
And scream when no one is around

Here comes a battle
Here's another uphill climb
So strap on some courage
You should be well prepared this time

Just because I'm still standing
Just because I have survived
Doesn't mean I don't get scared
Or wanna give up every time

Cause I don't feel like being strong today
I wanna fall apart sometimes
I wanna break
Next time they ask I'll tell the truth and I'll say
That I'm not OK
That I'm not OK

I don't feel like carrying all this weight
Or being broken around those who can't relate
That I'm not OK
That I'm not...

After he left us
After everything went dark
She's all that matters
She's my only little spark

It's not like I don't want to
Stay in bed, never leave home
But if I don't do it
Chances are it won't get done

Cause I don't feel like being strong today
I wanna fall apart sometimes
I wanna break
That I'm not OK
That I'm not OK

I don't feel like carrying all this weight
Or being broken around those who can't relate
That I'm not OK
That I'm not OK...

God gives his toughest
Battles to the strongest ones
Built out of courage
In the image of his only son

And I am a soldier
I can take the whole world on
So watch as I fight this
And give your praise once I have won

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - October 2020 - Alan Walker ft. Ava Max - Alone, Pt. II

pHlygiK.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC October 2020, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 10 months, is the talented young, very popular British-Norwegian Electronic Dance Music (EDM) -Producer and artist Alan Walker, this time featuring American singer-songwriter Ava Max on vocals. Here is some more information about them.

Alan Walker (born 24th August 1997) is a British-born Norwegian Record Producer and artist in the Electronic Dance Music (EDM)-genre. Born in Northampton, England of an English father and Norwegian mother, he and his family moved to Norway in 1999 at the age of two. He has since (for 17 years) lived in Bergen, Norway and has made his music career here.

His worldwide digital song and EDM-hit "Fade" gained attention after its release on YouTube via the label NoCopyrightSounds (NCS). The tracks "Spectre" and "Force" followed in 2015. He then signed with MER Musikk under Sony Music Sweden and his first single under that label was "Faded", a remastered vocal version of "Fade", released in December 2015.

Alan Walker gained worldwide attention. As of June 2016, "Faded" had over 356 million views on YouTube, an incredible feat. His new EDM-song "Sing Me To Sleep" (featuring Iselin Solheim again on vocals) came in 2016. This was the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry in FSC July 2016. In December 2016 Alan Walker released a new single, called “Alone”. It featured the Swedish singer Noonie Bao on vocals. It was another melodic song in his typical musical style which gained huge popularity. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC February 2017.

At the beginning of the new year 2017, Alan Walker's YouTube channel became the most subscribed channel registered in Norway, after passing about 4.5 million subscribers. In May 2017 he released the single “Tired” featuring vocals by Gavin James while the song “Spectre” (based on one of his earlier songs) followed in September 2017. Then in October 2017 he released a new original EDM-single “All Falls Down” featuring Noah Cyrus and Digital Farm Animals on vocals. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC December 2017.

In 2018 Alan Walker featured on a song by Norwegian producer X-391 called “Ignite” released in May 2018 (the Norwegian entry in FSC July 2018) and also released 2 new singles: “Darkside” in July 2018, and “Diamond Heart” (see more info below) in September 2018. “Diamond Heart”, which featured Swedish Sophia Somajo on vocals, was the Norwegian entry in FSC January 2019. In spring 2019 he released a new single called “On My Way” which had some Spanish parts and which featured Sabrina Carpenter & Farruko on vocals. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC August 2019. Alan Walker released a full album called “Different World” in December 2018 which included most of his singles as well as many new songs. One of these new songs was the melodic EDM-style ballad “Lily” which was the Norwegian entry in FSC December 2019.

In December 2019 he released his sequel to his 2016-single “Alone”, this one called “Alone, Pt. II”, and it featured American singer-songwriter Ava Max on vocals. The song became very popular among his many fans worldwide, on Youtube and other streaming platforms. This the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC October 2020.

In 2020 Alan Walker has released several more singles (incl. “End of Time” and “Heading Home”); a very productive and successful music producer- and artist, we will without doubt hear more from him in the future.

Amanda Ava Koci, known professionally as Ava Max, is an American singer-songwriter born in Wisconsin, USA. After moving across several states to pursue a music career in her childhood, Ava Max signed with Atlantic Records in 2016, where she released the song "Sweet but Psycho" in August 2018. It became her breakthrough single after peaking at number one in 22 countries, including the United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, and New Zealand. The song also peaked at number two in Australia, and number 10 on the US Billboard Hot 100.

Ava Max released her debut studio album "Heaven & Hell" in September 2020 and it included several of her previously released singles. She also collaborated with Alan Walker singing vocals on his single “Alone, Pt. II” which was released in December 2019. She is a talented singer and artist, with stage presence and an exuberant ‘presentation’ and image from whom we will without doubt hear more in the future.

The Norwegian entry for FSC October 2020, “Alone, Pt. II”, is a popular melodic EDM-style song by British-Norwegian EDM-Producer and artist Alan Walker ft. Ava Max on vocals. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Alan Walker again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the English lyrics for the song. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for October!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Alan Walker ft. Ava Max - Alone, Pt. II

We were young, posters on the wall
Praying we're the ones that the teacher wouldn't call
We would stare at each other
'Cause we were always in trouble

And all the cool kids did their own thing
I was on the outside always looking in
Yeah, I was there but I wasn't
They never really cared if I wasn't

We all need that someone who gets you like no one else
Right when you need it the most
We all need a soul to rely on, a shoulder to cry on
A friend through the highs and the lows

I'm not gonna make it a-la, la-la-la-la-la, la, la-la-la-la-la, 'lone ( x 2 )

Then I saw your face, your forgiving eyes
Looking back at me from the other side
Like you understood me
And I'm never letting you go

We all need that someone who gets you like no one else
Right when you need it the most
We all need a soul to rely on, a shoulder to cry on

I'm not gonna make it a-la, la-la-la-la-la, la, la-la-la-la-la, 'lone ( x 4 )

I'm not gonna make it alone

'Cause you are that someone that gets me like no one else
Right when I need it the most
And I'll be the one you rely on, a shoulder to cry on

I'm not gonna make it a-la, la-la-la-la-la, la, la-la-la-la-la, 'lone ( x 4 )

I'm not gonna make it alone

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - November 2020 - Thomas Bergersen - Mountain Call

hw1UXAe.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC November 2020 is a new artist for Norway in FSC, the super-talented Norwegian cinematic music composer Thomas Bergersen. Here is some more information about him.

Thomas Jacob Bergersen (born 4th July 1980, Trondheim, Norway), professionally known as Thomas Bergersen, is a well known Norwegian music composer, multi-instrumentalist, and also the co-founder of the production music company and music project Two Steps From Hell. Bergersen's compositions have featured in many motion picture campaigns, such as Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Twilight Saga, The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Da Vinci Code, The Mummy, The Dark Knight, Tron: Legacy and hundreds more. Bergersen has scored over one thousand soundtracks and film trailers.

He started his musical career as a demoscener, writing tracked modules under the name Lioz in the group Index. The release of a 2007 trance-style single titled "Remember September" saw Bergersen team with fellow Norwegian artist Boom Jinx.

In May 2010, Bergersen and his business partner, Nick Phoenix, released a debut public Epic Music Two Steps From Hell album titled ‘Invincible’, featuring some of their most popular tracks, including "Freedom Fighters", "Moving Mountains", and "Heart of Courage". This release did not go unnoticed, far from it. Several additional commercial album releases have since followed, including ‘Archangel’ and ‘SkyWorld’.

2011 saw the release of a solo-produced album/soundtrack from Thomas Bergersen, titled ‘Illusions’. His second solo public album called ‘Sun’ was released in September 2014 and had many popular tracks including the epic song ‘Empire of Angels’. With his epic cinematic style he was gaining a following around the world, both with his solo-work, his many motion picture/movie-compositions, and also with his Two Steps From Hell collaboration.

He has also released several commercial singles since 2011, including "Heart" and "The Hero in Your Heart," which were intended to provide disaster relief in the wake of the Tōhoku earthquake and Typhoon Haiyan, respectively. He has also composed music which has not been commercially released. In the past few years (2017-2019) he has planned his huge ‘Humanity’-project (see more details below) and has begun composing new music.

In March of 2020 the 7 part album series ‘Humanity’ was announced. ‘Humanity’ is indeed intended to be a 7 part album series exploring all aspects of human emotion. On 1st July 2020 the album ‘Humanity - Chapter I’ was released to acclaim from fans and followers alike. One of the epic and beautiful songs on this new album was the song ‘Mountain Call’, an instrumental song with beautiful angelic ‘choir’ (Audrey Callahan) in the background of the mix and Scottish/Irish folk-vibes in parts of the instrumentation. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC November 2020.

Thomas Bergersen is a multi-talented composer and artist - and will without doubt go on to compose more epic and wonderful music in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #141 November 2020, called “Mountain Call”, is an Epic Cinematic piece of instrumental music composed by the accomplished Norwegian music composer Thomas Bergersen. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Thomas Bergersen in the FSC for Norway.

Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for November!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Thomas Bergersen - Mountain Call

zPVmVIH.jpg

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - December 2020 - Annie - American Cars

b3eDqKt.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC December 2020, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 7 years (and many years hiatus from music), is the talented and popular Norwegian Electro-pop artist, songwriter and DJ Annie. Here is some more information about her.

Annie, or Anne Lilia Berge Strand as is her real name, is a Norwegian Electro-Pop artist, songwriter and DJ from Bergen, Norway. In 1999, Annie released the single "The Greatest Hit", which became popular in Norwegian and British underground nightclubs. Annie went on to sign a record deal with UK ”679 Recordings” in 2003, releasing her debut album ”Anniemal” in 2004, an innovative and catchy Electro-Pop album (with influences also from disco, Hip Hop, bubblegum pop, 80s-music, Dance-Pop as well as R&B) for which she received widespread critical acclaim and several Norwegian music awards. The album included her popular club-and-radio-hits ”Chewing Gum” and ”Heartbeat”.

In 2005, Annie released a DJ Mix Album as part of !K7’s DJ-Kicks series and then in 2007 she signed a record deal with UK’s Island Records. She started work on the ”Don’t Stop”-album, an album which was preceeded by the single ”I Know UR Girlfriend Hates Me”. The album was delayed several times, however - and Annie finally parted company with Island Records and went on to release the album - including some new tracks - in the autumn of 2009 on an independent record label called Smalltown Supersound. The song “Don’t Stop” from the album subsequently was chosen as the Norwegian entry in FSC January 2010.

At this point Annie took a break from the music scene, focusing on other projects in her life, but she returned to music in April 2013 with two new songs: her club-single “Tube Stops and Lonely Hearts”, as well as her Electro-Pop collaboration with fellow Norwegian DJ Ralph Myerz on the song “Take A Look At The World” which was chosen as the Norwegian entry in FSC July 2013.

Later in 2013 she released an EP called ‘The A&R EP’ which featured another single ‘Back Together’. In 2014 she released a song called ‘Russian Kiss’ and in 2015 another EP was released, called ‘Endless Vacation’. After this Annie took a many year break from music, for the second time in her career, and focused on other projects in her life incl. family life.

In late 2019 and early 2020 she worked on a forthcoming album, her 3rd studio album, which was to be named ‘Dark Hearts’ with a planned release in autumn of 2020. The first single from the album was released in June 2020, the cinematic-style cool and chill Synthwave single ‘American Cars’ which received acclaim and became popular among old and new fans. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC December 2020.

Some more singles were released in early autumn and the album itself came in October 2020 to the joy of her many fans and followers. Annie is without doubt a very talented Electro-pop artist, songwriter and DJ from whom we will hear more in the future.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #142 December 2020, called “American Cars”, is a cool and chill Synthwave song by the talented Norwegian Electro-pop artist, songwriter and DJ Annie. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Annie again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for December!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Annie - American Cars

Lose control
Metallic dreaming
Chrome and gold
White leather seating

Going into the light
Like a flash in the dark
See the tears in our eyes
Full of glittering stars
In American cars

I'll let go of the wheel
And take hold of my heart
So before we crash
Kiss me under the stars
In American cars

Four by four
Take our dreaming
Warmth and cold
Oh, what a feeling (come with me)

Going into the light
Like a flash in the dark
Full of glittering stars
In American cars

I'll let go of the wheel
So before we crash
Kiss me under the stars
In American cars

And we just go on
Traveling in the headlights' direction
When love is getting too complicated
And you don't wanna think about that
Because words can be so overrated

Break free and then never look back.. (no)

Going into the light
Like a flash in the dark
Full of glittering stars
In American cars

I'll let go of the wheel
So before we crash
Kiss me under the stars
In American cars

Going into the light
Like a flash in the dark
Full of glittering stars
In American cars

I'll let go of the wheel
So before we crash
Kiss me under the stars
In American cars

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member

fpMgo09.gif

INTERMEZZO

On behalf of :no: FSC Norway I wish everyone in our FSC Community

xrose -GOD JUL og GODT NYTT ÅR 2021- xrose
Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year 2021

The Christmas-spirit is embodied in the 3 beautiful , sacred Norwegian
Christmas-hymns posted below which I want to share here with you all.

- - - - - 1. Maria Arredondo - Jeg er så glad hver julekveld
2. Sissel Kyrkjebø - Nå tennes tusen julelys
3. Maria H Mittet w / OGC - Deilig er jorden

Enjoy - and Happy Holidays!!
tqcd9Op.gif

fpMgo09.gif

INTERMEZZO

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
MYENboe.jpg

XtRPEqz.jpg

MYENboe.jpg

:no: FSC Norway 2020: End of Year Reflections

Some reflections when I look back at the Norwegian FSC Year 2020 and all the songs I have sent to the FSC from Norway.

1. Which Norwegian FSC 2020 entry do I love the most?

I love all the songs I enter in FSC for Norway to some extent and I think I entered many great songs this past year and had an exceptional FSC-year result wise. I do though think I would select my entry for FSC November, Thomas Bergersen and his Epic Cinematic Instrumental song ‘Mountain Call’. I simply adore this melody and for me this is a Masterpiece in the genre. It is epic and grand and it has so many different layers of instrumentation and intricacies (merging orchestra with pop, rock and Celtic in a brilliant way), it builds and builds and erupts in a crescendo of beautiful sound. I am awestruck by this musical composition and never tire of listening to it. It is my 2nd favourite FSC-song (all countries entries included) of 2020, only beaten by a hairsbreadth by the gorgeous Croatian entry ‘Nina Badric - Ratujem s tugom’ (see further below).

2. What is the strangest/most unconventional Norwegian FSC 2020 entry?

I guess I would have to say my 2 instrumental entries this FSC-year, Secret Garden in April and Thomas Bergersen in November. Perhaps Wardruna with their Old Norse Folk in March can be added to those 2. None of these are very odd per se, but they are not your typical FSC mainstream songs and I like to add some ‘different’ / non-typical FSC-songs to this contest besides my more conventional entries.

3. What Norwegian 2020 entry was the biggest (positive) surprise?

It is not really easy to say, many entries did better than I expected (Secret Garden, Wardruna to name a few), but perhaps I’d say Shining in January 2020. It got 3rd place which was far better than I expected. It’s a kind of Dark Synth meets Pop-Rock song which I thought was cool and wanted to enter, but I was unsure how much others would like it. I was hoping for top 15 so to get in the top 3 was a joyful surprise.

4. What Norwegian 2020 entry was the biggest disappointment result wise?

2020 has been an excellent FSC-year and result wise on the whole possibly the best in Norway’s 11.5 year old FSC history. This also means that I have had no really poor placings this year and no big disappointments. If I had to pick a song, however, it would be Thomas Bergersen and ‘Mountain Call’ in FSC November. As I mentioned above, I adore that entry and I think it is unique in many ways, special and full of quality and though it scraped into the top 10, coming 10th in the end, I think it deserved an even better placing/ranking. It was very close between 10th and 5th place that month it must be said, but hypothetically speaking if I could have selected which Norwegian entry in 2020 to win with, it would have been that song (I love my Alan Walker winning entry as well but Thomas Bergersen’s imo Masterpiece is even more precious to me).

5. Which new Norwegian artist/band was it especially fun to enter in FSC for Norway in 2020?

I can’t narrow it down to one artist this year either. So I would say Wardruna (in March 2020) and Thomas Bergersen (November 2020), both these artists have been around for several years but since they have not released albums regularly, this year 2020 was my first chance to enter them in FSC and with songs I loved.

6. Best result for Norway in FSC 2020?

My October 2020 entry by Alan Walker ft. Ava Max, ‘Alone, Pt. II’. It won FSC giving Norway our 10th victory in the contest. Alan Walker has been popular in FSC for many years but his results have varied a little past couple years. This was a strong FSC-edition (with another fan favourite The Hardkiss from Ukraine) and so I was hoping for top 6 but I did not think it would soar to victory, so that was a joyful surprise and a cherished FSC-victory (Norway’s first victory in 21 months, almost 2 years).

7. Anything special with regards to Norway’s entries in 2020?

I entered 2 songs in the Norwegian language in 2020 (March with Warduna and July with Gåte). As I have mentioned before, I try to enter a minimum of 2 songs in my mother tongue each FSC-year, some years I manage more entries, some years less. Norwegian artists still release most music in English language these days and some of those who do release in Norwegian are not that suitable for the contest as I see it. As always I choose the best songs I find whatever language and style, the ones I love the most, and I will continue to do so.

With regards to genre, as before I try also to mix genres to get some variety in the entries. In 2020 Norway sent Electronic Dance Music (EDM), Dark Synth-pop rock, Old Norse Folk, Folk-rock, Pop-ballad, Power-pop, Neo-classical instrumental music, Epic Cinematic instrumental music and chill Synthwave.

8. My favourite non-Norwegian FSC-song of 2020?

Nina Badric - Ratujem s tugom, :hr: Croatia. A truly gorgeous Balkan-ballad in a style I love which I adored from the first listen. It is often in rotation on my personal playlist on my mobile smartphone. This is in my opinion for my music taste the best FSC-song of 2020.

9. My favourite FSC-countries of 2020 (ref. 12 points given)?

With regards to my (Norway’s) 12 points given in 2020, they were given as follows (from month 1 January 2020 to month 12 December 2020):

:it::ba::cy::az::rs::hr::ba::lt::az::rs::bg::mx:

So Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia and Azerbaijan got my 12 points twice, while Italy, Cyprus, Croatia, Lithuania, Bulgaria and Mexico got my 12 points once.

10. My favourite FSC-countries (most voted for) over the years as of December 2020?

Like last year, :ro: Romania (nr 1) and :ru: Russia (nr 2) are my top 2 countries in the FSC with :rs: Serbia running a close 3rd, a list that has been compiled with results from all my 11 years in the FSC. I want to give a special mention to :ba: Bosnia & Herzegovina. They are 14th on my list but this past year they have been one of my favourite FSC-countries with lots of wonderful songs and have steadily climbed my ranking list. Had they not been absent for long periods in the past years, they would certainly have been higher on my list.

11. Any particular Norwegian artist/band I miss not being able to send to the FSC?

I have in the past years mentioned Christine Guldbrandsen and Sissel (Kyrkjebø) and this still stands. Neither of these artists have released original music in quite a while (Christine still focuses on musical theatre and concerts while Sissel released several albums past couple years but with cover songs) but I hope they will one day so I can enter them. It would be fun also if the Norwegian Gothic Metal band Tristania released new music again. I entered them once in FSC back in the day but they have been semi-retired the past years, though recent news indicate they plan new concerts in 2021. With luck perhaps they will release some new music as well.

12. Final reflections

It has been an excellent FSC year for Norway, perhaps our best in FSC history overall. Result wise we have 12 top 10-placings (top 10 every month) including 1 victory and continue to stay at the top of the FSC country rankings over time ('FSC League Table') which pleases me much and fills me with some pride.

However, as I keep saying, I get the greatest pleasure from sharing great Norwegian songs with you all no matter how they place in the end. When someone loves your song, that means the most. I love this contest which I have been a part of for so many years now, which is also why I put so much time and effort into leading the FSC Mod team as we work hard to run and keep this great online music-contest of ours alive and thriving with fun quality organization and professional management.

This year, 2020, I celebrated my 11th Anniversary in FSC in October, and as I said last year, I never thought I would stay so many years when I joined FSC in October 2009. I have taken part every month for 135 FSC-editions (I know, I know.. I should indeed get a life LOL), it is incredible where the time has gone to be honest. 2020 has been a difficult year for most people around the world due to the horrible corona-pandemic and the FSC has been a small valuable cherished light in the darkness. Hopefully next year will be better for everyone.

Looking forward to the FSC Year 2021 with Norway - thank you to you all for all your great songs, for supporting the Norwegian entries and for sharing in / being part of this valuable online FSC Community of ours! Happy New Year, everyone! xcheer xhug

Regards,

Malagant
FSC Admin / Head of FSC Norway
:no:

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - January 2021 - Secret Garden ft. Cathrine Iversen - Sagnet om julerosen

w4Z000Y.jpg

Representing Norway in January 2021, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 9 months, is the Norwegian-Irish Neo-Classical ESC-winners from 1995 Secret Garden, this time featuring Norwegian singer Cathrine Iversen on vocals. Here is some more information about them.

Secret Garden consists of Rolf Løvland (the Norwegian composer/pianist and Nexus of the duo) and Fionnuala Sherry (Irish violinist) on violin. The duo is based in Norway and has been so from the beginning. With 3-4 million albums sold worldwide they are considered one of the most successful and influential Norwegian groups/musical projects of all time.

Rolf Løvland - born in Kristiansand, Norway in 1955 - was Norway’s perhaps most successful commercial pop-music composer in the 1980s. He wrote many MGP-songs for other artists, including the Norwegian 1985 Eurovision Song Contest (ESC) winner “La Det Swinge” performed by Bobbysocks. In the early 1990s he decided to try something different, and so he started the musical project called Secret Garden, together with the Irish violinist Fionnuala Sherry.

Fionnuala’s violin-playing started at an early age. She graduated with honours from the Music of Trinity College in Dublin. Her professional career started with a 10-year stint as a member of the RTÉ Concert Orchestra. She has worked with many musicians. She has also recorded Hollywood movie scores with the Irish Film Orchestra.

With Secret Garden Rolf Løvland wished to make music that was close to his heart: Neo-Classical, Celtic-inspired instrumental music. And so the story of Secret Garden had begun.

Secret Garden made history by winning the ESC in 1995 with "Nocturne", an instrumental melody stylistically unique for ESC which had 24 words added to the beginning of the song. In the 40-year history of the ESC an instrumental piece had never previously won.

This surprise victory at the ESC was the ultimate showcase that successfully launched their first album “Songs from a Secret Garden”. It was released around the globe. This was an historic event for a Norwegian artist/group and record company. In the years that followed Secret Garden released several popular albums, among them “White Stones” (1997), “Dawn of a New Century” (1999) and “Once in a Red Moon” (2002) which contained their huge hit “You Raise Me Up” (ft. Irish Brian Kennedy on vocals) which went on to be recorded in over 40 versions worldwide.

The following albums were “Inside I'm Singing” (2007), which differed in that all songs were with vocals, and “Winter Poem” (2011), which included the song “The Dream” (ft. Irish Clannad-singer Moya Brennan on vocals), which was the Norwegian FSC-entry in December 2011, and “Lament For A Frozen Flower”, which was the Norwegian FSC-entry in May 2012. In 2013 they released the album “Just The Two Of Us” which included the beautiful song “En Passant” which was the Norwegian FSC-entry in May 2014.

In the next years Secret Garden focused on side-projects and tours/concerts around the world, including several visits to Asia and China, but in 2018 they began to work on new songs for an album planned for release in 2019. This album was released in April 2019, called “Storyteller”. It included many beautiful songs, among them “The Voyage”, which was the Norwegian entry in FSC May 2019, and “The Pilot” which was the Norwegian entry in FSC April 2020.

Rolf Løvland kept working on a parallel music project creating a musical which was planned to premiere in Norway in 2021. He also wrote some new Norwegian songs collaborating with the Norwegian singer Cathrine Iversen on a planned Christmas album to be released in late 2020. This new album “Sacred Night” was finally released on 11th November 2020. The album included a newly written beautiful song in Norwegian Christmas hymn tradition called “Sagnet om julerosen” with Cathrine Iversen on vocals in Norwegian language. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC January 2021.

Secret Garden will for sure continue to mesmerize their many fans all over the world in the years to come with their beautiful Neo-Classical instrumental music and other cherished melodies.

Cathrine Iversen is a talented Norwegian singer and vocalist, known for her crystal-clear angelic beautiful voice, from Fredrikstad in south-eastern Norway. She has had extensive experience from various concert and theater stages at home and abroad through the years including many Christmas concerts. She has been a guest-vocalist with Secret Garden since 2010 with several concert tours in Europe, Asia and the USA. She has also participated in several TV productions such as Norwegian Melodi Grand Prix and various popular Norwegian tv-shows. Cathrine Iversen has also participated in several of Secret Garden's international record releases. She also writes music and has co-written several of the songs on Secret Garden’s new 2020 “Sacred Night” album. She is a music talent from whom we will without doubt hear more in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #143 January 2021, called “Sagnet om julerosen” (“The Legend of the Christmas Rose”) is a beautiful new Christmas song in Norwegian Christmas hymn tradition by Secret Garden ft. Cathrine Iversen on vocals. The song was written in 2020 by Rolf Løvland and Cathrine Iversen and is a fitting entry to start the New FSC Year. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Secret Garden again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in Norwegian with a translation into English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for January 2021 - and Happy New FSC Year, everyone!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Secret Garden ft. Cathrine Iversen - Sagnet om julerosen

I natten under himmelens stjerner / At nightfall under heaven’s stars
En fattig gjeterjente går / A poor little shepherdess wanders around
Hun leter etter vinterroser / She looks for winter roses
Maria’s barn skal få / To give to Mary’s Child

Når ingen blomster finns i snøen / When blossoms are nowhere to be found
En tåre faller ned på jord / Her tear drops onto the frozen ground
Da står en engel der på marken / An angel then appears before her
Og lover disse ord / And comforts her with these words

I vinternatten, skal rosen spire / In the winter night a rose will blossom
I frossent jordlag vokse frem / Rising from the frozen ground
Så hvit som snøen, så ren som himmelen / As white as snow, as pure as heaven
Skal rosen finne liv igjen / The rose will spring to life again

Der gjeterjentas tårer faller / Where the sheperdess’ tear falls
En vakker rose springer ut / A beautiful rose springs forth
Som denne marken er ditt hjerte / Like this frozen ground, your heart
I natt berørt av Gud / Is touched by God tonight

I vinternatten, skal rosen spire / In the winter night a rose will blossom
I frossent jordlag vokse frem / Rising from the frozen ground

Din største gave er en rose / Your greatest gift is a rose
Som springer frem av kjærlighet / Springing forth from your love

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - February 2021 - Dagny - Somebody

LrKWZet.jpg

Representing Norway in February 2021 is a New Artist for Norway in FSC, the talented and popular Norwegian singer-songwriter Dagny. Here is some more information about her.

Dagny Norvoll Sandvik (born 1990 in Tromsø, northern Norway), best known for her artist name Dagny, is a Norwegian singer-songwriter who has gotten both national and international acclaim.

She is the daughter of the vocalist Marit Sandvik and the jazz musician Øystein Norvoll. She started performing locally in Tromsø following a songwriting assignment at school and, after moving to the UK in 2012, performed on the small club circuit there for a while. After University studies she recorded the song “Backbeat”, which caught the attention of Zane Lowe at Apple Music's Beats 1 station and appeared on Spotify's New Music playlist, achieving 300.000 plays in a few days.

She had big success on Spotify and signed with Republic Records. Rob Stevenson said of her, "’Backbeat’ immediately aroused our attention, and after a showcase in New York, our entire company fell in love with her. We look forward to further convey her vision to the world". “Backbeat” in an acoustic version was subsequently included in an episode of the famous tv-show ‘Grey’s Anatomy’. She was also credited as a songwriter on Katy Perry's 2019 song "Never Really Over", which also interpolated Dagny's song "Love You Like That". After a series of singles (incl. “Used To You” and “Hit Your Heart”), the agreement with Republic Records ended and her first album, “Strangers / Lovers”, was released in October 2020 on her own label, Little Daggers.

Before this, in May 2020, she released an EP with the first 6 songs from the album which included her first single, the popular “Come Over”, and also the even more successful second single, the Nordic Electro-pop banger and hit “Somebody”. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC February 2021.

Dagny has been guest artist on several songs incl. Seeb’s popular “Drink About” and has also recently branched out with some acting, she starred in Season 2 of the Netflix Original Series ‘Home for Christmas’ as “Nurse Lisa”. The acoustic version of her hit single “Somebody” and the song “Bye Bye Baby” from her debut album also made appearances in the show. She has furthermore been nominated for Norwegian Grammies (‘Spellemannsprisen’) several times in the past years and also won an award presented by Norwegian Radio (NRK P3) for best song of the year with “Somebody”.

She is a talented artist, singer and songwriter from whom we will without doubt hear more in the coming years.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #144 February 2021, called “Somebody”, is a melodic and catchy Nordic Electro-pop banger performed by the talented and popular Norwegian singer called Dagny. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Dagny in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for February 2021!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Dagny - Somebody

When you called up my phone
I was all alone
Voice close to my ear
Like the sound of a song

You said let's take a ride
This was late July
We got lost in the night
(We got lost in the night)

So we drove around town
In your beat up car
Soft sounds of your breath
And the sound of my heart

Don’t remember the words
I know how I felt
Is this trouble again?

I never felt like this with somebody
I never thought I'd feel like I do
I never felt this close with somebody
Somebody, somebody but you

I never had this rush in my body
I never thought I'd feel something new

Something ’about you and the way we fit
Like the stars in the night
Heat of you on my skin

Hadn't know you for long but it felt like years
From the second we met, I knew things would change

Everything would change
Everything would change

Don't remember the words
I know how I felt
Is this trouble again?

I never thought I'd feel like I do

I never had this rush in my body

(With, with, with somebody)

With somebody like you
With somebody like you

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - March 2021 - Sirenia - This Curse of Mine

fgNcwQ9.jpg

Representing Norway in March 2021, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 1.5 years, is the famous Norwegian Symphonic Metal band Sirenia. Here is some more information about them.

Sirenia, named after the Sirens of Greek mythology, was founded in 2001 by the Norwegian musician Morten Veland, after he left the Norwegian Gothic Metal band Tristania due to musical disagreements and differences. The band is from Stavanger and has been based in Norway from the start.

The band has had several changes in members over the years (including several different female vocalists of which the current one is Emmanuelle Zoldan), but Morten Veland (guitar, bass, keyboards and vocals), nexus and founder of the Norwegian band, has been at the center of it all for 20 years.

Their 1st album was “At Sixes and Sevens” in 2002. Sirenia’s 2nd album “An Elixir For Existence” came in 2004 plus one EP “Sirenian Shores” also in 2004. Sirenia sounded on their first albums like a mix of hard Goth Metal/Rock with Symphonic and also Black/Death metal elements.

Their album “Nine Destinies and a Downfall” was released in February 2007. In 2009 they released an album called “The 13th Floor”.

In 2011 Sirenia released a new album “The Enigma of Life”. It included “All My Dreams”, the Norwegian entry in FSC March 2011, and “Fading Star”, the Norwegian entry in FSC August 2011. In May 2013 a powerful and epic Symphonic Metal song called “Seven Widows Weep” was released as a new single. It became the Norwegian entry in FSC August 2013. The new album “Perils of the Deep Blue” was released in June 2013. It included also the melodic Metal-song “My Destiny Coming To Pass” which became the Norwegian entry in FSC February 2014.

The 2015-album “The Seventh Life Path” was released in May 2015. It included the Symphonic ‘Gothic’ Metal song “Serpent” which was the Norwegian entry in FSC June 2015.

Sirenia worked on a new album in 2016 and a first single ,“The 12th Hour”, was released in October 2016. It was followed in early November 2016 by the title-track “Dim Days of Dolor”. This became the Norwegian entry in FSC October 2017. The album “Dim Days of Dolor” was released in November 2016 and also included the powerful epic song “Goddess of the Sea” which was the Norwegian entry in FSC December 2016.

The first single from a forthcoming album, the song ‘Love Like Cyanide’, was released in September 2018. The new album itself, named ‘Arcane Astral Aeons’, was finally released on 26th October 2018. It included the melodic Symphonic Metal-song ‘Into The Night’, which was the Norwegian entry in FSC November 2018, as well as the aforementioned ‘Love Like Cyanide’ which became the Norwegian entry in FSC June 2019. Another song from the 2018-album was the epic Symphonic Gothic Metal-song “Glowing Embers”. It was the fan-popular grand finale of the album. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC September 2019.

In 2020 Sirenia worked on tracks for a new album, there was a delay due to the covid-19 pandemic but a single “Addiction no 1” was released in late 2020 and the new album was finally released in February 2021. It included 11 tracks, with a shift to a more electronic sound, and one of these new songs was the melodic Symphonic Metal song “This Curse of Mine”. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC March 2021.

Sirenia will without doubt continue to make music and dominate the Norwegian Symphonic Metal scene in the years to come to all their fans’ delight all over the world.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #145 March 2021, called “This Curse of Mine”, is another great epic and melodic Symphonic Metal song by Norwegian Metal band Sirenia. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Sirenia again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for March 2021!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Sirenia - This Curse of Mine

I walked through our time
With my head held high
I faced all my demons head on
I faltered and failed
But always prevailed
Manifold battles have won

I’ve sinned through the darkness
I’ve conquered the night
I follow the path of my choice
When life takes me on
I am driven and strong
And poised for the battles to come

I battle addiction to be out of time
There’s no benediction for this curse of mine
Hell-drawn affliction is my inner war
The warfare rages on and on and on

I walked through each night
With my head held down
I faced all my demons alone
Every time I have failed
And never prevailed
Each and every battle was lost

I fell in the darkness
Was mazed, I was blind
Never felt the power for my choice
When life takes me on
I barely held on
All hope is now long since gone

-A burden of time
Which gather on your mind
In search of a sign
You cannot seem to find-

I’m losing this battle, it’s out of control
For years it’s been taking its toll on my soul
Broken in body, I’m broken in mind
The end drawing near, life pass me by

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - April 2021 - KEiiNO - Unbreakable

UWXrRym.jpg

Representing Norway in April 2021, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 11 months, is the Eurovision-famous Norwegian/Sami group KEiiNO who won the popular televote in ESC 2019. Here is some more information about them.

KEiiNO is a Norwegian/Sami Folk-pop group consisting of Norwegian singers Tom Hugo and Alexandra Rotan, and Norwegian Sámi rapper/joiker Fred Buljo.

The group was established in the late summer of 2018 when Tom Hugo (songwriter) and partner Alex Olsson began writing "Spirit in the Sky", a Norwegian/Sami Folk-pop song inspired by historical struggles for equality. Later the singer Alexandra Rotan and Sámi rapper/joiker Fred Buljo (also member of the Norwegian-Sami group Duolva Duottar) joined the project which became a Norwegian-Sami co-project.

The group name KEiiNO was inspired by the name of Fred Buljo's home town Kautokeino (Sami: Guovdageaidnu). The last part -geaidnu translates to the "way" or "road" which Buljo stated "represents the road that brought us together".

Although the three singers had had some success as solo artists, their dreams were truly realised after joining forces - a force the Sámi (the indigenous people of Norway) believe you can find connecting with nature. The northern lights, dancing colourful and free, serve as a symbol of how KEiiNO believes everyone should be allowed to feel - regardless of who they love, how they look or where they are from. KEiiNO dares to dream that their music will inspire people all over the world to rise above differences and work together.

“Spirit in the Sky” was entered in Melodi Grand Prix (MGP) 2019, quickly became a fan favourite, and it ended up winning the national final. In the ESC-final the entry received the highest points from the European public’s televoting, winning the televote with an impressive 291 points, ending 6th in the end (including jury-votes).

“Spirit in the Sky” became a huge and popular hit around Europe entering the charts in many countries. After ESC, KEiiNO released several other songs, a cover-version of the US-song “Shallow”, the single “Praying”, another cover in Swedish “Vill Ha Dig”, and finally a new original single “Dancing in the Smoke” released in October 2019. This single was the Norwegian entry in FSC November 2019.

In 2020 KEiiNO released several singles incl. “Black Leather” and “Would I Lie”. They also released the single “Colours”, performed in both Sami language and English. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC May 2020. That same month KEiiNO released their debut album “Okta” which included all their hits and some other new songs.

In February 2021 they competed in Norwegian MGP again, this time with a song called “Monument”. It came 2nd in the Norwegian final but was popular among their fans worldwide. Following MGP, they released a new single called “Unbreakable” in mid-March 2021. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC April 2021.

KEiiNO plan to release more singles later this spring and is a talented group we will without doubt hear more from in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #146 April 2021, called “Unbreakable”, is another melodic Nordic Schlager Folk-pop song by the popular ESC-famous Norwegian/Sami group KEiiNO. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter KEiiNO again in the FSC for Norway.

Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for April!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

KEiiNO - Unbreakable

I was born in the winter
When the day was dark as the night
Pale blue lips of the morning
‘Cause the darkness follow the light

Found a northern boy in the summer
When he told me not to be shy
I kissed him down by the river
And I left him down there to die

‘Cause my mother told me, Girl
To make someone like you
Someone stronger than the ice
That kings would bow down to

I had to find the northern star
A boy would never do
Unbreakable

Let me tell it to you now
You’re stronger than the wind
If they ever let you down
Then winter would set in

Back then my mother showed me all
My frozen heart could do
Unbreakable

Girl, let me tell it to you now
Unbreakable

She left home in the winter
When her heart was deep in the snow
Lost her way in the mountains
Made it down the valley below

Found a handsome man in the summer
But his violent ways made me cry
I held him down by the river
And a single tear made him die

Cause my mother told me, Girl
To make someone like you
Someone stronger than the ice
That kings would bow down to

I had to find the northern star
A boy would never do
Unbreakable

If they ever let you down
Then winter would set in

My frozen heart could do
Unbreakable

Girl, let me tell it to you now
Unbreakable

Someone stronger, stronger
Someone strong like you

My frozen heart could do
Unbreakable

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - May 2021 - Annie - Dark Hearts

6N2FI0X.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC May 2021, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 5 months, is the talented and popular Norwegian Electro-pop artist, songwriter and DJ Annie. Here is some more information about her.

Annie, or Anne Lilia Berge Strand as is her real name, is a Norwegian Electro-Pop artist, songwriter and DJ from Bergen, Norway. In 1999, Annie released the single "The Greatest Hit", which became popular in Norwegian and British underground nightclubs. Annie went on to sign a record deal with UK ”679 Recordings” in 2003, releasing her debut album ”Anniemal” in 2004, an innovative and catchy Electro-Pop album (with influences also from disco, Hip Hop, bubblegum pop, 80s-music, Dance-Pop as well as R&B) for which she received widespread critical acclaim and several Norwegian music awards. The album included her popular club-and-radio-hits ”Chewing Gum” and ”Heartbeat”.

In 2005, Annie released a DJ Mix Album as part of !K7’s DJ-Kicks series and then in 2007 she signed a record deal with UK’s Island Records. She started work on the ”Don’t Stop”-album, an album which was preceeded by the single ”I Know UR Girlfriend Hates Me”. The album was delayed several times, however - and Annie finally parted company with Island Records and went on to release the album - including some new tracks - in the autumn of 2009 on an independent record label called Smalltown Supersound. The song “Don’t Stop” from the album subsequently was chosen as the Norwegian entry in FSC January 2010.

At this point Annie took a break from the music scene, focusing on other projects in her life, but she returned to music in April 2013 with two new songs: her club-single “Tube Stops and Lonely Hearts”, as well as her Electro-Pop collaboration with fellow Norwegian DJ Ralph Myerz on the song “Take A Look At The World” which was chosen as the Norwegian entry in FSC July 2013.

Later in 2013 she released an EP called ‘The A&R EP’ which featured another single ‘Back Together’. In 2014 she released a song called ‘Russian Kiss’ and in 2015 another EP was released, called ‘Endless Vacation’. After this Annie took a many year break from music, for the second time in her career, and focused on other projects in her life incl. family life.

In late 2019 and early 2020 she worked on a forthcoming album, her 3rd studio album, which was to be named ‘Dark Hearts’. It was finally released in October 2020 to much critical/fan acclaim. The first single from the album was however released in June 2020, the cool and chill Synthwave single ‘American Cars’. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC December 2020. She released a second single called “The Bomb” in July 2020, and then in August 2020 came a third single, the cool Synthwave-song and title track “Dark Hearts”. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC May 2021.

Annie is without doubt a very talented Electro-pop artist, songwriter and DJ from whom we will hear more in the future.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #147 May 2021, called “Dark Hearts”, is another cool Synthwave song by the talented Norwegian Electro-pop artist, songwriter and DJ Annie. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Annie again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for May!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Annie - Dark Hearts

Daddy left the family when I was only two
Later I found out he was abandoned too
Mama said to me, to never trust a man
But I'm my father's daughter, now you understand

So I said, we can't escape who are
Story repeating, circles are meeting
And now it's taking us back to the start
We try to fight it, but can't live without it

The games (The games) we play (We play)
Are written by our dark, dark hearts

Our dark, dark hearts

We met at the fairground, saw it in your eyes
Twisted love, attraction, you were just my type
Dangerous desire, the legacy we keep
Give in to seduction, there's no guarantee

So I said, we can't escape who are
Story repeating, circles are meeting
And now it's taking us back to the start
We try to fight it, but can't drift without it

Our dark, dark hearts

Playing out the frequence to the sequence of its drum
Gotta be strong, gotta play on
And don't keep it a secret, just believe and get it done
Gotta be strong, gotta play on

And when those games we play are feeling so passé
Know that we're slaves that move to the beating of
Our dark, dark hearts

Our dark, dark hearts
The games we play are written by our dark, dark hearts

Our dark, dark hearts
The games we play are feeling so passé
Know that we're slaves that move to the beating of
Our dark, dark hearts

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - June 2021 - Thomas Bergersen - Red

irXSxa8.jpg

Representing Norway in June 2021, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 7 months, is the talented and famous Norwegian Cinematic Music Composer Thomas Bergersen. Here is some more information about him.

Thomas Jacob Bergersen (born 4th July 1980, Trondheim, Norway), professionally known as Thomas Bergersen, is a well known Norwegian music composer, multi-instrumentalist, and also the co-founder of the production music company and music project Two Steps From Hell. Bergersen's compositions have featured in many motion picture campaigns, such as Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Twilight Saga, The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code, The Mummy, The Dark Knight, Tron: Legacy and hundreds more. Bergersen has scored over one thousand soundtracks and film trailers.

He started his musical career as a demoscener, writing tracked modules under the name Lioz in the group Index. The release of a 2007 trance-style single titled "Remember September" saw Bergersen team with fellow Norwegian artist Boom Jinx.

In May 2010, Bergersen and his business partner, Nick Phoenix, released a debut public Epic Music Two Steps From Hell album titled ‘Invincible’, featuring some of their most popular tracks, including "Freedom Fighters", "Moving Mountains", and "Heart of Courage". This release did not go unnoticed, far from it. Several additional commercial album releases have since followed, including ‘Archangel’ and ‘SkyWorld’.

2011 saw the release of a solo-produced album/soundtrack from Thomas Bergersen, titled ‘Illusions’. His second solo public album called ‘Sun’ was released in September 2014 and had many popular tracks including the epic song ‘Empire of Angels’. With his epic cinematic style he was gaining a following around the world, both with his solo-work, his many motion picture/movie-compositions, and also with his Two Steps From Hell collaboration.

He has also released several commercial singles since 2011, including "Heart" and "The Hero in Your Heart," which were intended to provide disaster relief in the wake of the Tōhoku earthquake and Typhoon Haiyan, respectively. He has also composed music which has not been commercially released.

In March of 2020 the 7 part album series ‘Humanity’ was announced. ‘Humanity’ is intended to be a 7 part album series exploring all aspects of human emotion. In July 2020 the album ‘Humanity - Chapter I’ was released to acclaim from fans and followers alike. One of the epic and beautiful songs on this new album was the song ‘Mountain Call”. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC November 2020. In November 2020 he released the 2nd album in his series, called “Humanity - Chapter 2”. It included many new songs including an epic musical piece called “We Are Legends”.

He recently in May 2021 released the 3rd album in his series, called “Humanity - Chapter 3”. One of the beautiful epic cinematic songs on this new album is called “Red” which was released as a single in April 2021. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC June 2021.

Thomas Bergersen will continue to work on his monumental “Humanity” project in the coming few years and his 4th album in the series is expected in late 2021. We will without doubt be able to enjoy many new beautiful compositions of his in the time to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #148 June 2021, called “Red”, is another beautiful epic cinematic melody composed by the highly accomplished Norwegian music composer Thomas Bergersen. Norwegian singer Merethe Soltvedt provides the haunting “vocals” on the track. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Thomas Bergersen again in the FSC for Norway.

Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for June!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Thomas Bergersen - Red

fi14nVz.jpg

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - July 2021 - Adelén - Obsessed

vYc9Jkl.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC July 2021 is a new Artist for Norway in FSC, the popular Norwegian-Spanish singer Adelén known from MGP and other pop-releases the past years. Here is some more information about her.

Adelén Rusillo Steen (born 1996 in Tønsberg, Norway), known professionally as Adelén, is a Norwegian-Spanish singer. Born to a Spanish mother and Norwegian father she was raised in the smal town of Horten in south-eastern Norway.

She came to the Norwegian public’s attention when she participated in the Norwegian MGP (national selection for ESC) in Oslo in 2013 with the Spanish-influenced song "Bombo". It came second in the national final but became very popular and a big hit in Norway going straight to number 2 on the Norwegian iTunes chart. It also appeared in the official Norwegian Singles Chart. The song also won the OGAE Second Chance Contest 2013, becoming Norway's third win, and first since 1993. It also won the 2013 Eurodanceweb Award with the highest score ever achieved in the history of the Award (284 points).

In the following years she tried to build a career in music, releasing several songs like "Baila Conmigo" and the very popular "Olé", recorded for the 2014 FIFA World Cup's album “One Love, One Rhythm - The 2014 FIFA World Cup Official Album”, which went straight to number 1 on the Norwegian iTunes chart. Other singles in the years that followed were "Spell On Me", "Wild Like Me", "Go Home" and "Big Bad Bitter".

In 2018 she signed with Sony Music Norway and released "What's Next", which features an ode to her partial Spanish roots. A Reggaeton-collaboration featuring Colombian duo Kapla y Miky called "Beat" and the catchy Latin beat-influenced "Somewhere We Can Talk" followed in 2019.

After this she took a break from the music business but returned in 2021 with several new singles. "Jaded" was followed by "Safety Light", and finally the catchy and melodic Scandipop Summer-bop single "Obssesed" released in June 2021. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC July 2021.

Adelén is a popular pop-singer with talent and energy from whom we will without doubt hear more in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #149 July 2021, called “Obsessed”, is a catchy melodic Scandipop song and Summer-bop co-written by Adelén herself and performed by her, a great choice for the hot dancefloors this Summer. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Adelén in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for July 2021!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Adelén - Obsessed

See stardust in my bed
Oh my eyes keep rolling back
Angels singing like.. ohhh

Always preferred doing all alone just by myself
So chilled, enjoyed the Summers in my head
Life’s a threat and you’re serious cause I’m all for fight
I couldn’t lose but I didn’t have in the first place

I used to leave them all unread
Lucky numbers here and now and then
But you made it look so damn easy

I can’t get you out of my my head
I don’t shout anymore, what’s happening now
I’ve never been so close today

I am borderline so obsessed
Hmm Hmm

Sweetheart, dirty mind, so rare to find
I am hypnotized, mesmerized
Zip zip, read my lips, you shot me down
I am hypnotized, mesmerized

But you made it look so damn easy

Hmm Hmm

See stardust in my bed

Hmm Hmm
But you made it look sooo

Hmm Hmm

See stardust in my bed

Hmm Hmm

Hmm Hmm

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - August 2021 - K-391 ft. RØRY - Aurora (Remix)

xgIut4q.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC August 2021 is the popular Norwegian DJ & EDM-artist/producer K-391 who returns to FSC for Norway after a long absence. This time his EDM-song has the singer RØRY on vocals. Here is some more information about them.

K-391 is a Norwegian DJ & EDM-artist/producer called Kenneth Nilsen. He is 26 years old and very secretive, there is little personal information about him. He created the K-391 music project and often uses a ‘headset’ as a figure or logo which is meant to ‘conceptualize’ himself. He has made music for many years, his songs have been played millions of times on YouTube and he has a large following in the EDM-community.

However, his official debut-single was the EDM-song “Ignite”, presented together with Alan Walker, a fellow famous EDM-artist/producer from Norway, and with Julie Bergan & Seungri on vocals. It was released in May 2018 and was the Norwegian entry in FSC July 2018.

K-391 also collaborated on the popular song “Lily” which was by Alan Walker with vocals by Emelie Hollow. It was released in December 2018 and was the Norwegian entry in FSC December 2019.

In October 2020 he released a new EDM-song called “Aurora” with the singer RØRY on vocals and the song became very popular on the internet. It was subsequently Remixed in several versions and one of these Remixed versions was posted on Youtube in November 2020. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC August 2021.

Roxanne Emery, known also by her stage name RØRY, is a British singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and producer. London-based, she is the sister of the DJ and producer Gareth Emery. Her music has been featured in episodes of several popular tv-shows, incl. ‘Cougar Town’, ‘Awkward’, and ‘Keeping Up with the Kardashians’. She also runs her own record label called Late Records, which manages other independent artists. In 2020 she collaborated with Norwegian DJ & EDM-artist/producer K-391 on his song “Aurora” singing the vocals.

K-391 is a talented and successful Norwegian DJ & EDM-artist/producer from whom we will without doubt hear more in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #150 August 2021, called “Aurora (Remix)”, is a melodic EDM-song by Norwegian DJ & EDM-artist/producer K-391 with RØRY on vocals. It is a tribute to Aurora Borealis, the Northern Lights that are often seen in northern Norway. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter K-391 again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for August 2021!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

K-391 ft. RØRY - Aurora (Remix)

I've been looking through my memories
I've been try’na see your face
But you're moving like a mystery
And you look the other way

If you found me in the pouring rain
Would you let me in
Would you look into your memories
Tell me where you've been

When the sun is going down
I feel you coming closer
Counting in the dark, I feel at home

I see you light up the sky
A dance in the night, Aurora
I see the stars in your eyes
Believe in your lies, Aurora

Mine for a moment and then you're gone
And I'm still holding on
To a light in the sky

Feeling almost like a secret
Hidden in an emerald sea
And I'm drowning in your green eyes
Got that power over me

If I told you how I really feel
Would you let me in
Would you tell me all your secrets
Tell me where you've been

When the sun is going down
I feel you coming closer
Counting in the dark, I feel at home

And I'm still holding on
To a light in the sky

And I'm still holding on
To a light in the sky

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - September 2021 - Kalandra - Borders

hyM5Lgc.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC September 2021 is a New Artist for Norway in FSC, the talented Norwegian Alternative Folk-rock band Kalandra. Here is some more information about them.

Kalandra is a Norwegian Alternative Folk-rock band consisting of the members Katrine Stenbekk, Jogeir Daae Mæland, Oskar Johnsen Rydh and Florian Bernhard Winter. The band was created 9 years ago, was based in England for a while, and they have toured both in Norway and internationally over the years. They have been warm-up band for familiar bands such as Wardruna and Gåte in Norway. They have several million views on Youtube but have only recently, in October 2020, released their debut album called “The Line”.

The band name comes from the Calandra Lark, a bird known for its beautiful song. Their sound is a blend of Alternative Folk-rock and Alternative Pop where they weave ethereal melodies into raw and eerie musical landscapes. This can be heard on their debut album which they worked on for several years before the release. In interviews they have mentioned that their songs describe feelings of wonder, anger, longing and accept as one’s life unfolds.

They were a 7-piece band at the start of their career but then some members chose other paths and only 3 members were left. This made them experiment with their sound and focus on becoming good songwriters. Trial and errors followed and they decided in the end to open their own recording studio where they could have complete creative control. A 4th members joined the band and they released an EP in 2017. They continued creating music for a future album which was as finally mentioned released in October 2020.

One of the new songs on their October 2020-album was the Alternative Folk-rock ballad “Borders” which was a hauntingly beautiful hymn to the ocean and the natural elements. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC September 2021.

Kalandra is a talented Norwegian Alternative Folk-rock band and there is little doubt that we will hear more from them in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #151 September 2021, called “Borders”, written by the band’s vocalist Katrine Stenbekk, is a powerful and hauntingly beautiful song and Alternative Nordic Folk-rock ballad. A hymn to the ocean and the natural elements, it reflects the vulnerability one feels coming face to face with the massive forces that move the world. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Kalandra in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for September 2021!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Kalandra - Borders

On the borders of safety
That's where I find peace
Where the black sand
Meets the raging seas

I see the forces
For what they truly are
Yet I'm reminded
Of my beating heart

Ohh..

Among the lonely rocks
Is where I lay my head
I hear the ocean calling
"Come with me instead"

She sings me songs
Of ungrateful souls
Who once thought Gods
Could bring them home

On the borders of safety
That's where I find peace
Where the black sand
Meets the raging seas

I see the forces
For what they truly are
Yet I'm reminded
Of my beating heart

Ohh..

And I could swear
That the ocean sings and the mountains talk to me
I could swear
That I hear her breath and her heartbeat in the air

I could swear
I could swear

On the edge of comfort
That's where I find love
And the ocean
Already knows

But she can't love you
Like you love her
There's no mercy
From Mother Earth

Ohh..

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - October 2021 - Secret Garden ft. Cathrine Iversen - I dette stille øyeblikk

iAhBkWn.jpg

Representing Norway in October 2021, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 9 months, is the Norwegian-Irish Neo-Classical ESC-winners from 1995 Secret Garden, this time featuring Norwegian singer Cathrine Iversen on vocals. Here is some more information about them.

Secret Garden consists of Rolf Løvland (the Norwegian composer/pianist and Nexus of the duo) and Fionnuala Sherry (Irish violinist) on violin. The duo is based in Norway and has been so from the beginning. With 3-4 million albums sold worldwide they are considered one of the most successful and influential Norwegian groups/musical projects of all time.

Rolf Løvland - born in Kristiansand, Norway in 1955 - was Norway’s perhaps most successful commercial pop-music composer in the 1980s. He wrote many MGP-songs for other artists, including the Norwegian 1985 ESC winner “La Det Swinge” performed by Bobbysocks. In the early 1990s he decided to try something different, and so he started the musical project called Secret Garden, together with the Irish violinist Fionnuala Sherry.

Fionnuala’s violin-playing started at an early age. She graduated with honours from the Music of Trinity College in Dublin. Her professional career started with a 10-year stint as a member of the RTÉ Concert Orchestra. She has worked with many musicians. She has also recorded Hollywood movie scores with the Irish Film Orchestra.

With Secret Garden Rolf Løvland wished to make music that was close to his heart: Neo-Classical, Celtic-inspired instrumental music. And so the story of Secret Garden had begun. Secret Garden made history by winning the ESC in 1995 with "Nocturne", an instrumental melody stylistically unique for ESC which had 24 words added to the beginning of the song. In the 40-year history of the ESC an instrumental piece had never previously won.

This surprise victory at the ESC was the ultimate showcase that successfully launched their first album “Songs from a Secret Garden” worldwide. In the years that followed Secret Garden released several popular albums, among them “White Stones” (1997), “Dawn of a New Century” (1999) and “Once in a Red Moon” (2002) which contained their huge hit “You Raise Me Up” (ft. Irish Brian Kennedy on vocals) which went on to be recorded in over 40 versions worldwide.

The following albums were “Inside I'm Singing” (2007), which differed in that all songs were with vocals, and “Winter Poem” (2011), which included the song “The Dream” (ft. Irish Clannad-singer Moya Brennan on vocals), which was the Norwegian FSC-entry in December 2011, and “Lament For A Frozen Flower”, which was the Norwegian FSC-entry in May 2012. In 2013 they released the album “Just The Two Of Us” which included the beautiful song “En Passant” which was the Norwegian FSC-entry in May 2014.

In the next years Secret Garden focused on side-projects and tours/concerts around the world, including several visits to Asia/China, but in 2018 they began to work on new songs for an album planned for release in 2019. This album was released in April 2019, called “Storyteller”. It included many beautiful songs, among them “The Voyage”, which was the Norwegian entry in FSC May 2019, and “The Pilot” which was the Norwegian entry in FSC April 2020.

Rolf Løvland kept working on a parallel music project creating a new musical. He also wrote some new Norwegian songs collaborating with the Norwegian singer Cathrine Iversen on a planned Christmas album. This new album “Sacred Night” was finally released on 11th November 2020. The album included several new beautiful songs in Norwegian Christmas hymn tradition with Cathrine Iversen on vocals in Norwegian language. One of the songs was “Sagnet om julerosen” which was the Norwegian entry in FSC January 2021. Another was the beautiful Nordic Folk-ballad “I dette stille øyeblikk”. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC October 2021.

Secret Garden will for sure continue to mesmerize their fans all over the world in the years to come with their beautiful Neo-Classical instrumental music and other cherished melodies.

Cathrine Iversen is a talented Norwegian singer and vocalist, known for her crystal-clear angelic beautiful voice, from Fredrikstad in south-eastern Norway. She has had extensive experience from various concert and theater stages at home and abroad through the years including many Christmas concerts. She has been a guest-vocalist with Secret Garden since 2010 with several concert tours in Europe, Asia and the USA. She has also participated in several TV productions such as Norwegian Melodi Grand Prix and various popular Norwegian tv-shows. Cathrine Iversen has also participated in several of Secret Garden's international record releases. She also writes music and contributed on Secret Garden’s 2020 “Sacred Night” album. She is a music talent from whom we will without doubt hear more in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #152 October 2021, called “I dette stille øyeblikk” (“In this silent moment”) is another beautiful Nordic Folk-ballad in Norwegian Christmas hymn tradition by Secret Garden ft. Cathrine Iversen on vocals. The song was written in 2020 by Cathrine Iversen with melody by Rolv Løvland. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Secret Garden again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in Norwegian with a translation into English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for October 2021!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Secret Garden ft. Cathrine Iversen - I dette stille øyeblikk

I dette stille øyeblikk / In this silent moment
Møtes jord og himmel / The earth is one with heaven
Stjernen i det fjerne / The star in the distance
Er så nær oss nå i natt / Is so near us tonight

Den lyser opp så klar og sterk / It shines so clear and brightly
I nattens stjernevrimmel / Illuminates the sky
Og viser oss hvor vi / And leads us to
Kan finne julens store skatt / The greatest gift of Christmas ever found

Finner vi det tapte / We find what we have lost
Vår hvileløse ventetid / Our restless waiting period
Er endt i denne stund / Is ending here tonight

Nå sendes våre bønner / We’re sending all our prayers
Til han som allting skapte / To He who all created
Ordet bærer håp og frelse / The Word bears hope and salvation
Gjennom barnets munn / Spoken by the Child

Stanser selve tiden / Time does stop
Vi stopper opp og lytter / We halt and we listen
Til at julen ringes inn / To church bells ringing for Christmas

Vi tar hverandres hender / We join our hands together
Og legger strid til siden / And put all strife aside
Og stilner all vår hjertetrang / As we yearn for peace of heart
Til julefred i sinn / And Christmas joy inside

Åpner vi vårt hjerte / We open our hearts
For alle vi har mistet / To everyone we’ve lost
Og for alle vi er nær / And everyone close to us

Denne stunden rommer / This very moment holds
All vår glede og vår smerte / All our joy and sorrow
Det lille barnet viser oss / The little Child will show us
Hva kjærligheten er / What true love really is

Denne stunden rommer / This very moment holds
All vår glede og vår smerte / All our joy and sorrow
Det lille barnet viser oss / The little Child will show us
Hva kjærligheten er / What true love really is

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - November 2021 - Ina Wroldsen - More

43N9EhD.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC November 2021 is the multi-talented Norwegian singer-songwriter Ina Wroldsen who returns to the FSC for Norway after a long absence. Here is some more information about her.

Ina (Christine) Wroldsen (born in Oslo, Norway in 1984) is a Norwegian singer and songwriter who has for many years lived in London, England (with frequent work-visits to Los Angeles, USA). She lived most of her childhood years in the town of Sandefjord south of the Norwegian capital. Early in her career she got a record contract and released some music on her own, but has for many years focused on writing songs for other international artists.

She has written popular and successful songs for famous artists like Britney Spears, Shakira, One Direction, Shontelle, The Saturdays and The Pussycat Dolls to name a few. In the 2013 Norwegian MGP she also wrote (together with Quiz & Larossi) the popular song “Bombo“ which was performed by Adelèn and which came 2nd in the final. In mid-2011 she started a successful collaboration with the Icelandic songwriter and music producer Arnthor Birgisson - and the Ask Embla music project was born.

They released several popular songs in the years 2012-2014 (‘Father’s Eyes’, their biggest hit, ‘Cry Baby’, ‘I Fell In Love’, ‘Legion’ and the FSC-winner ‘Lay It On Me’) as well as an album ‘Northern Light’ (2013). They began work on a 2nd album but it was indefinitely delayed as they started to focus on solo-projects. The Ask Embla-project was ‘put on ice’ for the forseeable future and all Ina’s attention was now on her solo-career.

Ina Wroldsen countiued her solo-career in the next few years, releasing several singles including a new version (with Broiler) of “Lay It On Me”. She also spent time on other projects, including being one of the judges on the Norwegian pop-IDOL tv-show in 2016.

In December 2016, after a visit to Africa, she released the gripping ballad “St. Peter”. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC November 2017.

The EP “HEX” (inspired by Norwegian Folklore-tales) was released in June 2018. It consisted of 4 new songs (“Sea”, “Remember Me”, “Mine” and “Mother”). “Mother” was the Norwegian entry in FSC September 2018. The first single from the EP, released in April 2018, was the beautiful ocean-ballad “Sea”. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC March 2019.

That same month she released a new song together with the Lithuanian DJ/Producer Dynoro called ‘Obsessed’. It was a melodic groovy Dance-pop song that quickly became popular many places in Europe. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC February 2020.

In the past year Ina Wroldsen has been working on new music for an EP-release in late May 2021. The EP consists of 4 songs and she released one after another in April and May 2021. One of the new songs on the EP was the powerful Nordic Pop-ballad “More” (which she co-wrote). This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC November 2021.

Ina Wroldsen is a multi-talented singer and songwriter and there is little doubt that we will hear more from her in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #153 November 2021, called “More”, is a powerful Nordic Pop-ballad co-written and performed by Ina Wroldsen. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Ina Wroldsen again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for November 2021!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Ina Wroldsen - More

I smell you on my sheets when my bed is fresh
I don't know what's happening to me, I don't second guess
All I know is that I can't see when you're gone
Can't breathe when you're gone, can't be when you're gone

You're underneath my skin, I feel you places
Nobody else has ever been, I'm going crazy
This could be grace or just sin
I don't care, say when I'll be there
Your hands in my hair, big bangs don't compare to this

I can't stop and I won't stop, this is serious
You touch me with just one touch, I'm delirious
All I want is you to give me more

I lay alone at night and feel you in my bones
I focus and I find, I've lost all self control
I'm swimming in oceans I've never been lost in before
Everything that you do got me begging for more

And now we're head over heels and I think I know
This is how serenity feels and the tension grows
You pull me in I become you, and you're in me true like beginnings
Do what you want, I choose to belong right here

I can't stop and I won't stop, this is serious
And you turn me with just one touch, I'm delirious
All I want is you to give me more

Your touch lingers like air, your presence all around
I see you everywhere, I might be lost or found
I'm feeling emotions like little explosions, and ah

More, more
More

We're going deeper with crazy, crazy love
I follow lead when we're making, making love
You got me speechless with crazy, crazy love
Crazy love
And now I lay alone at night

Your touch lingers like air, your presence all around
I see you everywhere, I might be lost or found
I'm feeling emotions like little explosions, and ah

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - December 2021 - Sirenia - December Snow

c7GmQtz.jpg

Representing Norway in December 2021, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 9 months, is the famous Norwegian Symphonic Metal band Sirenia. Here is some more information about them.

Sirenia, named after the Sirens of Greek mythology, was founded in 2001 by the Norwegian musician Morten Veland, after he left the Norwegian Gothic Metal band Tristania due to musical disagreements and differences. The band is from Stavanger and has been based in Norway from the start.

The band has had several changes in members over the years (including several different female vocalists of which the current one is Emmanuelle Zoldan), but Morten Veland (guitar, bass, keyboards and vocals), nexus and founder of the Norwegian band, has been at the center of it all for 20 years.

Albums: Discography

At Sixes and Sevens (2002)
An Elixir For Existence (2004)
Nine Destinies and a Downfall (2007)
The 13th Floor (2009)
The Enigma of Life (2011)
Perils of the Deep Blue (2013)
The Seventh Life Path (2015)
Dim Days of Dolor (2016)
Arcane Astral Aeons (2018)
Riddles, Ruins & Revelations (2021)

Sirenia in FSC for Norway

All My Dreams (March 2011)
Fading Star (August 2011)
Seven Widows Weep (August 2013)
My Destiny Coming To Pass (February 2014)
Serpent (June 2015)
Goddess of the Sea (December 2016)
Dim Days of Dolor (October 2017)
Into The Night (November 2018)
Love Like Cyanide (June 2019)
Glowing Embers (September 2019)
This Curse of Mine (March 2021)
December Snow (December 2021)

In 2020 Sirenia worked on tracks for their latest album, there was a delay due to the covid-19 pandemic but a single “Addiction no 1” was released in late 2020 and the new album “Riddles, Ruins & Revelations” was finally released in February 2021. It included 11 tracks, with a slight shift to a more electronic, industrial sound. Their music style has evolved over the years from a heavier death-metal gothic style at the start to more Symphonic Metal with choirs and commercial undertones in later years. But they keep showing variety and dynamics in their music on every album released, with a mix of clean vocals and growls and heavy use of guitars and drums. They have for a long time been the defining band of Norwegian Symphonic Metal music.

From this newest 2021-album the song “This Curse of Mine” was selected as the Norwegian entry in FSC March 2021. And another song from the album, “December Snow”, has now been chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC December 2021.

Sirenia will without doubt continue to make music and dominate the Norwegian Symphonic Metal scene in the years to come to all their fans’ delight all over the world.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #154 December 2021, called “December Snow”, is another great epic and melodic Symphonic Metal song by Norwegian Metal band Sirenia. It fits perfectly in this FSC-month of December with its December/winter-lyrics. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Sirenia again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for December 2021!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Sirenia - December Snow

Winter night and starlit skies
A velvet light adorned your eyes
That twinkle then somehow let go
Now too far gone, like last year’s snow

Somewhere in the distance
I saw you turn away
Your eyes were cold, they had lost their glow
Cold as December Snow

And the morning light
Will never come to life
I close my eyes for one last time
In the dead of night
Under the pale star light
I'll lay to rest until all stars alight

Closing doors, a faded dream
These inner wars eternally
You speak to me from a waning star
These arcane words from so afar

Far beyond existence
Where darkness rules each day
You closed the door on what was before
Then returned here nevermore

And the morning light
Will never come to life
In the dead of night

Ton regard d'or et d'ambre
Alors que tu partais, s'est détourné de moi
L'ont alors remlplacé, des yeux vides et froids
Glaçés comme tombait la neige de Décembre

And the morning light
Will never come to life
In the dead of night

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member

fpMgo09.gif

INTERMEZZO

On behalf of :no: FSC Norway (Malagant & Kimrt) I wish everyone in our FSC Community

xrose -GOD JUL og GODT NYTT ÅR 2022- xrose
Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year 2022

The Christmas-spirit is embodied in this beautiful Norwegian
title song by AURORA , from a children’s Christmas tv-series

Enjoy - and Happy Holidays!!
tqcd9Op.gif

fpMgo09.gif

INTERMEZZO

Top Bottom