8 4.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Zerocalcare

I want a song like that xpray

ory26

As we will probably finish bottom 5 today, i think for 2023 no more risk will be take and we will return with a NF full of uninspiring ballad in french. :rolleyes:

FRFanESC

I found EF2022's level better than 2021 overall but a gem like "Voilà" was still missing. I still hope that our HoD will finally learn and stop recruiting amateurs artists like "Hélène in Paris" and other middle-of-the-road songs like so many in EF2021+2022, and above all, stop with quota (the HoD openly admitted there were quotas when they select the song during the EF conference where they revealed the song live for the first time), we don't necessarily need an afro-pop song, a pop song in regional language, 5 females, 5 males, 2 groups etc, we just need good songs sung by professional and experimented artists.

I don't even want to give the name of some artists like lots of fans do because I actually don't care about it. Obviously, a known artist would be good for the image of the contest in France but the criteria number one should be to bring a winning song (or at least top 10 songs).

I'll still believe that "Fulenn" had the potential for the top 10, but it was a risk, sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't, it actually didn't but it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

esc87fan

Sammy

Veteran
C'est vous qui décidez will be back to choose next year's French representative. So it's highly likely that Stéphane and Laurence will also be back as hosts (and the commentary team for France)
Good news! Frances National finals have become one if my personal highlights in the NF-Season if not THE highlight.

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
Glad to have the NF back of course, this will be really interesting to follow, regarding the two recent scores.
At this point i don't just hope us to be bold for once, we tried, we did our best and... well you saw it.

I especially hope that ARA's team will sit and look back to what do they have to improve, like changing the casting process, the whole selection process, maybe other people working in the casting... We need some fresh air. Please bring us genuine good songs ! Yup let's just be honest, 70% of the songs were crap.
If they didn't change any of this, let's just assume they just didn't get it.

Plus i have some worries about one thing : if you didn't know, french government are planning to cancel public television royalty fee even starting this very summer, making the french public broadcaster under the surveillance of the state only. FTV's editorial staff already did some strikes, fearing pressure from the government for their freedom of speech and potential cuts in the budget. I don't know how that would translate to ESC but it doesn't smell good anyway.

A-lister

Veteran
2022 was a great entry, one of the best of the edition and clearly deserved a better outcome, the problem though was the complete amateur staging that looked like a parody of mid 00's Eurovision entries...

So don't stop taking risks France, just put a bit of better thought into the staging aspect of things.

Last edited:

Looren

Veteran
Just randomly remembered that dude :

Having him doing Eurovision would be iconic :lol: :lol:

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
Plus i have some worries about one thing : if you didn't know, french government are planning to cancel public television royalty fee even starting this very summer, making the french public broadcaster under the surveillance of the state only. FTV's editorial staff already did some strikes, fearing pressure from the government for their freedom of speech and potential cuts in the budget. I don't know how that would translate to ESC but it doesn't smell good anyway.

Little update about this : royalty fee has been cancelled, voted by the politic majority, helped by extreme right-wing who starts to take a frightening big place here. Dark days ahead for french public broadcaster, since that royalty fee helped the broadcaster to keep its financial and redactional independance.
As i told earlier, don't know exactly how that would translate to ESC but the future does look quite grim... For example, there should be cuts in the budget. Another example : there are people saying that secretly, Macron would like to privatize FTV.

Or, for another example, we all know here that Macron likes ESC (he even sent messages to Stéphane Bern during Pravi's 2nd place), so maybe we have no worries for the moment... But, imagine that in five years, extreme right-wing reaches the Elysée (which would be likely to happen sadly, this country keeps on disappointing me each day), i'm quite sure they would totally like France to get off the ESC, then we would be in a Hungary-like situation.

FRFanESC

Little update about this : royalty fee has been cancelled, voted by the politic majority, helped by extreme right-wing who starts to take a frightening big place here. Dark days ahead for french public broadcaster, since that royalty fee helped the broadcaster to keep its financial and redactional independance.
As i told earlier, don't know exactly how that would translate to ESC but the future does look quite grim... For example, there should be cuts in the budget. Another example : there are people saying that secretly, Macron would like to privatize FTV.

Or, for another example, we all know here that Macron likes ESC (he even sent messages to Stéphane Bern during Pravi's 2nd place), so maybe we have no worries for the moment... But, imagine that in five years, extreme right-wing reaches the Elysée (which would be likely to happen sadly, this country keeps on disappointing me each day), i'm quite sure they would totally like France to get off the ESC, then we would be in a Hungary-like situation.
You're exagerating a bit, I think. there are some countries in Europe like Poland or Italy where "extreme right" has an even bigger place and they didn't withdrew. Plus, Macron's party and also the traditional right party voted for the cancellation. And most ov the NUPES allaince (extreme left alliance) didn't even vote or were. Anyway I'm still curious to see where France Televisions will find the money.

harey

Lol, nupes (the left alliance, against the vote) is only 1/3 of the parliament. 2/3 are far-right, right or right-centrist, who voted for.

You probably missed the RN députée saying that "a great democracy doesn't need a public broadcasting service" or all the online attacks by the far-right against eurovision, drag race or culturebox for having tv shows and series which show gay people. They are against public broadcaster because they describe them as far left (it is globally more left-centrist imo) : for them everything outside cnews, fadesouche, medias owned by Bolloré and some right newspapers are far left and they want to make them shut. Plus shutting public broadcaster is one voice less able to investigate on them (tbh I'm sure that every politician wish ti have less chances of being caught). But with a far right majority and all their work making public opinion think that public broadcaster are far left propagandist taking their money, there are way more chances to see censure or privatisation happening.

FRFanESC

Lol, nupes (the left alliance, against the vote) is only 1/3 of the parliament. 2/3 are far-right, right or right-centrist, who voted for.

You probably missed the RN députée saying that "a great democracy doesn't need a public broadcasting service" or all the online attacks by the far-right against eurovision, drag race or culturebox for having tv shows and series which show gay people.
I must admit that I didn't read that, indeed, have you a link for that part, please ?

harey

I must admit that I didn't read that, indeed, have you a link for that part, please ?

"Au contraire, les élus du Rassemblement national ont soutenu la suppression de la redevance, tout en regrettant que l'exécutif n'aille pas plus loin en privatisant France Télévisions et Radio France. "Une grande démocratie comme la nôtre n'a plus besoin d'un service public", a plaidé Caroline Parmentier. Plus tard, Alexandre Loubet a fustigé des médias publics coupables, selon lui, d'avoir "discriminé" le RN au cours de la campagne des élections législatives, et d'avoir contribué au bon score de la Nupes, au mépris de leur devoir de neutralité."

FRFanESC

"Au contraire, les élus du Rassemblement national ont soutenu la suppression de la redevance, tout en regrettant que l'exécutif n'aille pas plus loin en privatisant France Télévisions et Radio France. "Une grande démocratie comme la nôtre n'a plus besoin d'un service public", a plaidé Caroline Parmentier. Plus tard, Alexandre Loubet a fustigé des médias publics coupables, selon lui, d'avoir "discriminé" le RN au cours de la campagne des élections législatives, et d'avoir contribué au bon score de la Nupes, au mépris de leur devoir de neutralité."
Ok, thank you.

Top Bottom