Dañsal a ran gant an diaoul ha para ?

Entan ha taras, entan jabadao ha taras
Trid' a ra ar c’hoad ouzh stok' ar fulenn a-bilpaz
He hud dudius a bign betek penn ar qwez bras

Oc'h ober fae deus ar fall loened e tañsan
Me bak an tan en o lagad leun a droukc’hoant
Ha da dreiñ 'n'añ en ur c'han da gan' a-unvan

Dispont 'kreiz an digoadell e tans ar fulenn
Trein ha distreiñ en-dro de'i eneoù dichedenn (bis)

Lalalalalalaleno lalelalo

Dañsal a ran gant an diaoul ha para ?
Ga' 'n diaoul e tañsan
Dañsal a ra gant an diaoul ha para ?

Dispont 'kreiz an digoadenn e tañs ar fulenn

Last edited by a moderator:

nofuxCZ

Very disappointing result. But I saw it coming after today's performance. France was my #1-#2 most of the season but the performance they gave tonight was not good - lack of the right energy and shaky vocals in parts where it mattered. In the end I just couldn't vote for it. The performance they did in the national final also wasn't perfect but so much better than last night.
It's a pity because the song is great and I loved that France tried something more daring + showing a minority language. I hope it doesn't discourage them in the future.

Sararl

I still don't get what happened - was it the position?
The song is good, is different, it was a fan favorite. The stating was good...
What happened?

ArmpitOfEurope

Im seriously shocked at how badly it did. I thought he was hypnotizing, I voted for this. Sincerely believed it was a very televote-friendly song. Poor handsome Alvan

mauve

Veteran
This was to me the most shocking result. I have absolutely no idea what happened. Some say that the performance wasn't so good, but I didn't feel so. The song wasn't in my top 10, but I suspected it would finish around 10-15.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
You know, I agree with most of our recent placements, except maybe last year when I thought it was a bit too much. This, though ? Man, it's painful. I actually liked last night's performance more than the others, it seems their singing was more fast-paced, it gave them more energy, and the vocals were less shaky than in the semi for example.
I just hope this result won't have too much of an impact on our future selections.

Here's a translation of their interview :
Alvan : "We're proud to have accomplished what we intended to. We did it, we embodied it with heart. We take a step back : it's cool to have lived this experience, we received so much support, we worked on the show..."
Sterenn : "We came with a song in Breton language, we didn't think we would pass the NF and we won Eurvovision France. We played in front of 180M of people. We had a lot of fun, we hope you could see it."
Marine : "Despite the result, our magic word is 'pride'. We stayed ourselves despite the criticism, despite the pressure, despite the polemics because of the language of our song. We're proud of the message we brought with this song. We still believe we were heard, that our participation with a Breton song was legitimate. We were the only minority language in this contest."
Sterenn : "It's a special year, and the whole Europe decided to support Ukraine, which is a great thing. We are glad Ukraine won. They deserved it. Because of the support they need currently and because they had a marvelous song, that we supported in our interviews because we love it. That's why we sang it with them in Turin. It's a good thing juries and televoters agreed on it."
Alvan : "Waiting for the results was painful. We kinda lived it as if we were spectators. We were together, there was a good atmosphere."
Sterenn : "The show was really beautiful, with a lot of efficient songs, with incredible artists. It was an incredible experience, we were grateful to be accompanied by a wonderful delegation.

Yazy

Got overshadowed by too many other televote acts :cry:

I honestly don't see that much objectively incorrect things about this entry.

The only thing I can think is that it was not the right year to send this song.

heke1988

At least my 3x votes for France didn't go waste, because Finland gave 1 televote point to France. Still poor televote result for France. I kinda expected poor jury result, but poor televote result surprised me.

Zerocalcare

This was to me the most shocking result. I have absolutely no idea what happened. Some say that the performance wasn't so good, but I didn't feel so. The song wasn't in my top 10, but I suspected it would finish around 10-15.
Mauve, I'll try to explain what happened. I was among the few who had predicted the flop of both Albania and France.

Last night when Alvan & Ahez started performing I said to my mother "France is going to be a bang" and she asked me "You say they will get a lot of success?" ("making a bang" in Italy, I don't know if it also applies to the rest of the world, it has both a positive and a negative sense). I replied to my mother "No, it will be a flop".

France must be proud of the desire for innovation, the desire to dare after the success of Pravi and a part of their culture but there were three problems upstream:

1. "Fulenn" was not a music for everyone. The Breton language mixed with the dance sound with elements of military march, esoteric climate and Navajo squaw screams confused many people. The French themselves, not admitting it openly to themselves, had felt this weakness. After the success of Pravi with the public, this year in fact there has been a drop in ratings for the NF (if I'm not mistaken, dear Harey said it).
  2. After the elimination of Albania it was obvious that Alvan & Ahez would not benefit from the votes of the "BOP! Oligarchy". The most extreme part of the bubble and those who love musical experimentation had already declared their winner: Serbia. In fact, this cohesive group has furiously voted "In Corpore Sano" for a big fifth place finish. These are all points taken from France because the strength of "Fulenn" should have been more in televoting rather than the jury.
  3. Same thing as point 2 but at higher levels is the presence of "Stefania" (a similar Etno Pop). It was clear that the public would vote for Ukraine. Other points, very many, taken from France.
If we add to all this that "Fulenn" is not a commercial song but a competition song that lives only on show (will any of you sing "Fulenn" in the future? I think it is more sung and from radio broadcast "Rockstars" by Malik Harris) and that this year the general level was balanced (no super songs like in 2020/2021 but all good songs) the prediction was obvious. The mistake, for me, was not focusing on SOA and "Seule".

Perhaps the Netherlands should be more disappointed than France. S10 out of the Top 10!!!

I wish France not to close the door on innovation because one misstep means nothing. Good luck in 2023, dear France.

LoveHate

It’s a real shame France was punished for being daring. Was the problem that it wasn’t French enough? Last year they were very successful with an overly stereotypical French song (well, at least she didn’t swing a baguette around).

As I speculated before, this also had a similar target audience as Stephania. Unlucky to send this entry in a year like this.

Last edited:

mauve

Veteran
Mauve, I'll try to explain what happened. I was among the few who had predicted the flop of both Albania and France.

Last night when Alvan & Ahez started performing I said to my mother "France is going to be a bang" and she asked me "You say they will get a lot of success?" ("making a bang" in Italy, I don't know if it also applies to the rest of the world, it has both a positive and a negative sense). I replied to my mother "No, it will be a flop".

France must be proud of the desire for innovation, the desire to dare after the success of Pravi and a part of their culture but there were three problems upstream:

1. "Fulenn" was not a music for everyone. The Breton language mixed with the dance sound with elements of military march, esoteric climate and Navajo squaw screams confused many people. The French themselves, not admitting it openly to themselves, had felt this weakness. After the success of Pravi with the public, this year in fact there has been a drop in ratings for the NF (if I'm not mistaken, dear Harey said it).
  2. After the elimination of Albania it was obvious that Alvan & Ahez would not benefit from the votes of the "BOP! Oligarchy". The most extreme part of the bubble and those who love musical experimentation had already declared their winner: Serbia. In fact, this cohesive group has furiously voted "In Corpore Sano" for a big fifth place finish. These are all points taken from France because the strength of "Fulenn" should have been more in televoting rather than the jury.
  3. Same thing as point 2 but at higher levels is the presence of "Stefania" (a similar Etno Pop). It was clear that the public would vote for Ukraine. Other points, very many, taken from France.
If we add to all this that "Fulenn" is not a commercial song but a competition song that lives only on show (will any of you sing "Fulenn" in the future? I think it is more sung and from radio broadcast "Rockstars" by Malik Harris) and that this year the general level was balanced (no super songs like in 2020/2021 but all good songs) the prediction was obvious. The mistake, for me, was not focusing on SOA and "Seule".

Perhaps the Netherlands should be more disappointed than France. S10 out of the Top 10!!!

I wish France not to close the door on innovation because one misstep means nothing. Good luck in 2023, dear France.
When you analyze it so rational, then of course, I understand - but how on earth were songs from Belgium or Romania better? I still don't get it in my head - but then again, it is ESC. How many times did we experience surprises and disappointments? Sometimes it's hard to foresee what happens. Guess that's what ESC is all about! ;)

Kaz

I think that Fulenn will forever be remembered fondly as an entry which was under-appreciated at the time but becomes a bit of a cult favourite, a bit like Taken by a Stranger or Igranka.

Datura

totally did not deserve to score so badly imo :/
i agree maybe that it was a bit overshadowed by the early draw and acts like norway performing so close, and it did not connect as much as it could... but still.
it was not my favourite in the (awesome!) french preselection but i was so happy that france decided to send something so different (i do NOT wanna hear any barbara-pravi'esque chanson, i hated that). i really hope they will keep sending more daring songs

harey

It really helps me to read your nice words. When I don't like our song I laugh at France finishing bottom 5 but this time... I even cried. I know that it's on a certain extend because I have Breton roots and used to live in Brittany, still have my friends and my heart there so I had too strong hopes. I was so happy that France was sending a song in breton, but also a modern one, for me it just checks everything to love it.

But my taste is not everyone's and I just have to accept it. I think I will stay away from social media because of some comments and I am glad that in here, even people who don't like the song are not insulting and just give their opinion without hate.

I think that my biggest surprise is that we received no votes from countries with celtic roots? I don't say they HAD to vote for France but I expected that in an extend they would be happy to have part of a shared culture showcased.

PolarFoxxie.

Hahahahahaha is this the country France voted the most points out of all countries on this forum. Hahahahaha. 8 points in real life. Any thoughts those who gave France every week 12 points on this forum?

Top Bottom