22 12.8%

16 9.3%

54 31.4%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
France-scaled.jpg

FRFanESC

His song is #7 on iTunes Sweden. Probably his swedish cousin who bought the song 10 times, there's absolutely no other possibility.

Joking, the song is just appreciated.

Ezio

Veteran
Ulrikke from Norway wants to give 12 points to him now and 69 later

#metoo

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Seems like I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely love this song. It's so pleasant and enjoyable. I didn't know it was written by Swedes when I first heard it and ranked it, so it must have been calling my Swedish soul. :lol:

FRFanESC

Tom Leeb released a Deluxe version of his album, with a new version of "The best in me" :
- full english lyrics.
- No more dated arrangement.
- No more choirs or cheap violins.

It finally sounds like a song he could've written himself, a real folk ballad. The best version for me (it was recored on february 18th evening, 2 days after the Eiffel Tower reveal).

Ezio

Veteran
Seems like I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely love this song. It's so pleasant and enjoyable. I didn't know it was written by Swedes when I first heard it and ranked it, so it must have been calling my Swedish soul. :lol:

Some call it minority. Others call it the elite. xqueenbitch

crashworld

Veteran
Tom Leeb released a Deluxe version of his album, with a new version of "The best in me" :
- full english lyrics.
- No more dated arrangement.
- No more choirs or cheap violins.

It finally sounds like a song he could've written himself, a real folk ballad. The best version for me (it was recored on february 18th evening, 2 days after the Eiffel Tower reveal).

LOL! Why is he still flogging this song? Is he trying to squeeze every penny worth of the song.
This is like the 4th version (including the 2nd version which is the original version with more French lyrics before the revamp - 3rd version).

tuorem

@crashworld It seems like they want to get their money's worth, but I highly doubt any revamp could make their ill-advised investment profitable :LOL: By the way, you go gurl with your comments!

Comparing eurofans' rankings to real televoting results is like comparing pears and apples, but instead of getting the nul-points award we could have pulled a Manel Navarro instead with five points. #Goals #SmashHit.Com

tuorem

My review:

FRANCE 2020 - Tom Leeb - The Best in Me: "oh Lord..."

Well, I didn't remember I was the last member to post in this thread, but that does make sense. If someone is still wondering if I personally think the existence of this entry was needed and legitimate... please find my answer from 2'24 to 3'12 in the video below. I can't be any clearer.

Seriously though, I guess I have scattered enough clues about my opinion since "Mon Alliée" came out. To keep it short, it's so wrong on every level that there's nothing salvageable in that effort. I was among the ones who applauded the end of Destination Eurovision to finally take a risk through internal selection after two mid entries, but I meant taking risks to present something memorable - a love or hate song - not a universally-disliked one. :LOL:

I always am more critical towards my own country, I may nitpick at times that's true, but this time our team just dug our own grave with a pile of shovels and pickaxes. Musically, it's an absolute sugary rubbish no one would ever dare to dream of in 2020, there is nothing composition-wise that is noteworthy in a positive way: it's contrived, ininspired, formulaic. Regarding the arrangements, it's the kind of Swedish faux folk-ish aseptic ballad that is straight up cringe: even the guitar and cello scream saccharine, the drums are basic af, the hook in English can't get any tired, and the icing on the cake is that atrocious climax with the "high note" and the choir. Atrocious is the word, I can't stand this. Easily one of the worst songs of this edition.

Vocally and performance-wise, Leeb is indeed a perfect match with the song since he's got those old-fashioned boyband-like gestures and that tone that makes me roll my eyes to the back of my head. If our new head of delegation did something right, it's definitely finding the right singer for the song. Corniness to the max. Yuk! I won't repeat all the events that occurred, but it's clear we stirred the Lord's ire with that choice. And on top of that, we had to keep some English lines on that import... I mean not only do we persist in ruining our lyrics with English (because you know, people definitely shouldn't miss the deepness of "youareyouareyouare") but we didn't even write this turd. If we are to send something bad, I say let's do it ourselves, that'll be cheaper.

Good thing the Swiss ridiculed us with their entry that became a hot favourite and proved our team was wrong.

Prediction-wise, my only question mark is about whether we would have got zero points from the public (that would have been fun) or the Swedes would have sent us a couple of points to make people believe G:son actually did something worth our time here. Apart from that, the last place was ours, that goes without saying. Tom Leeb should be thankful for the cancellation because we can all forget about this disaster waiting to happen and his career won't be marred by a spectacular failure in front of millions of Europeans.

I will be honest and say that, while it's a pity some 2020 contestants won't be there in 2021 just because they deserve to have their time, in our case it might not be that sad. That choice was clearly unpopular and our HoD probably didn't want the outbreak of negativity to last one more year. We'll see what that one-night selection will be all about next year, if they could pick songs that aren't ashamedly bad, that would be nice. No imports and no English would be a good restart too imo. Wait and see.

Neo

Fun scathing review Tuorem. Interestingly, this song was selected among the 12 Norwegian TV viewers could vote on in the alternative final, based on betting lists, stream counts, video views and fan groups. It was said they were quite sure these would have done well in the real contest.

tuorem

Fun scathing review Tuorem. Interestingly, this song was selected among the 12 Norwegian TV viewers could vote on in the alternative final, based on betting lists, stream counts, video views and fan groups. It was said they were quite sure these would have done well in the real contest.

Thank you Neo! Thanks for reading! :) Scathing is my middle-name this year.

Yes, I do remember the Norwegian alternative final, but featuring France was a bit of a scandal: if I remember correctly it was the only country that wasn't on top in the betting odds. :LOL: I think the project was fun, but since the selection was arbitrary and not based on live performances, I doubt this was really telling about what would have happened for real in Rotterdam. People would have seen the stagings, they could have voted for all the countries, etc.

Of course, we'll never know. I just can't help but remember where the Brits landed the year before with their G:son entry. :p

Neo

I should add that the song has gone up in my estimation, but that's from 3. I now give it a 5.

FRFanESC

Tom Leeb will appear in "Infidèle"'s second season in prime-time on TF1 from thursday, the trailer for those who want to see him :

Last edited:

Milos-BC

It sounds like a Disney ballad but way too sweet for my taste. Overall, it's nice, but I'm not sure it would've stood out in the final.

4 points.

Ezio

Veteran
Still love it!

Top Bottom