6 2.1%

8 2.7%

2 0.7%

19 6.5%

• Total voters

John1

GWTW1939

Re: FRANCE 2018

I just hope they have songs that can match "J'ai cherché" and "Requiem" and the quality doesn't dip because no artist wants to risk going on a national final xcrossed

Having your name/song quietly leaked as a "potential entry" is a completely different game then actually participating in a national final for everybody to see :oops:

tuorem

I just hope they have songs that can match "J'ai cherché" and "Requiem" and the quality doesn't dip because no artist wants to risk going on a national final xcrossed

Having your name/song quietly leaked as a "potential entry" is a completely different game then actually participating in a national final for everybody to see :oops:

Exactly my thoughts and worries. Honestly, I would have liked them to wait for a few more years before organizing something like that; it's only been two years since we started getting good results and I doubt the hype is strong enough for good artists to enter a national competition at the moment. Besides, all our past attempts at making a selection show have sucked monkey balls because it was cheap and there wasn't any worthy song to vote for. We'll probably have 90% of talent show rejects with pretty disposable songs, I wish we could send an actual artist one day.

Let's wait and see, but I'm not thrilled at the moment. A show means live vocals and presentation might be taken into account right from the start, to the detriment of musical merit (given our current music scene, I wouldn't trust French televoters either :lol:).

blue00eyes

I have high hopes, I believe first NF after a long break may be very good because there are acts that always wanted to go to ESC but never were asked by broadcaster to go and they will all submit songs in one year :)

DanielLuis

I didn't follow French NF's in the past as I wasn't a close Eurovision fan back in those times, but what people usually say is that French televoters can't be trusted :lol: We'll see how it goes, I hope the best for the French NF!

Stiven

Okay for me the problem isn't the French televoters becuase the last time :fr: had a NF(2014) they made the right decision (also for now no one said that it's going to be 100% televoting), what worries me more is, if France Télévisions can find good wiling candidates with good songs for a NF. Because last time they had a NF the songs were the main problem.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned

I hope Joanna Lagrave tries to take part again, she should've won the French NF in 2014!

DanielLuis

Okay for me the problem isn't the French televoters becuase the last time :fr: had a NF(2014) they made the right decision (also for now no one said that it's going to be 100% televoting), what worries me more is, if France Télévisions can find good wiling candidates with good songs for a NF. Because last time they had a NF the songs were the main problem.

2014 can't really serve as a basis for anything though, given how there were only 3 choices anyway (and in a much less advertised show than the new NF will be, I guess). Still, I hope everything will be fine! France 2 is doing a great job with internal selections so I'm hopeful they'll find good entries for the NF, even if the singers are newcomers. I mean, if they don't allow any joke entry in the NF they won't give the option of troll voting to the French public!

ESCKerli

France could do really well with a song like this imo xheya
You have a beautiful language. Continue singing in it!

Deleted member 15618

Unfortunately Stromae doesn't seem to be releasing any new music... I don't count on him being a part of Eurovision next year. Would love to proved wrong though!

Deleted member 15618

Stromae is Belgian.

I knew that one... but didn't realise that I went off a bit too much in the France thread rather than the Belgium thread XD
Anyways, it's good to be back discussing more Eurovision :)
Looking forward to any updates about France's national final!

ESCKerli

Stromae is Belgian.

"Even though he was raised as a Belgian, he has stated that he did not always feel that he was from Belgium."
Just messing with you :lol:

I just think considering that this song peaked number 1 in both Belgium and France, that he also could participate for a bigger country like France.

tuorem

http://www.ouest-france.fr/medias/e...ou-pour-les-trois-primes-de-selection-5232396

According to a local French newspaper, this national final will be held through three shows: two semi-finals and one grand final. Does it imply that France 2 got a lot of submissions? I do hope that the French televote won't mess the whole thing up...xcookie

They seem so confident... At least fifteen acts will mean more options for us than just three, like in 2014).

Personally, I think it's far too early to have semis and stuff - one show would have been enough for a start. If they think Eurovision has become big after Amir, they just lie to themselves. Although I like the fact they want people to connect more with the contest by selecting their representative, I fear we'll end up picking someone with very little potential given our poor taste at the moment. :? We've had the bad habit of doing that in the past already.

I'm highly sceptical about our brand new NF anyway, I'll wait for the names of the participants and the alleged "jury" before holding my breath (or not).

The additional difficulty for our acts is that live vocals and presentation will matter to some extent I suppose.

PS: The article says people will vote in the final only... what's the point of organising semis then? :lol: They could do a show with the preselected songs. By the way, it'll be Melfest 2.0 with a European jury in the final... I can smell a bland winning entry from here.

John1

They seem so confident... At least fifteen acts will mean more options for us than just three, like in 2014).

Personally, I think it's far too early to have semis and stuff - one show would have been enough for a start. If they think Eurovision has become big after Amir, they just lie to themselves. Although I like the fact they want people to connect more with the contest by selecting their representative, I fear we'll end up picking someone with very little potential given our poor taste at the moment. :? We've had the bad habit of doing that in the past already.

I'm highly sceptical about our brand new NF anyway, I'll wait for the names of the participants and the alleged "jury" before holding my breath (or not).

The additional difficulty for our acts is that live vocals and presentation will matter to some extent I suppose.

PS: The article says people will vote in the final only... what's the point of organising semis then? :lol: They could do a show with the preselected songs. By the way, it'll be Melfest 2.0 with a European jury in the final... I can smell a bland winning entry from here.

There's no way to worry, as France TV didn't even confirm that this selection process would be organised like the way which has been evoked by Ouest-France. To my mind, I do agree with you on the fact that -first of all- they should host only one show instead of three.
On the other hand, I do reckon that it might be some rumours which are being reported by this local newspaper, don't get anxious about that! :)

By the way, either Wiktoria or Nano or Jon Henrik should've won the whole thing instead of this vaunting artist. The whole show has been broken down by the European jury for sure!

GWTW1939

Judging from the national final they seem to be planning, and their past history, one would have thought France won last year and Paris will be hosting in 2018. Their going from 0 to 10 just like that :lol:

They did so well the last two years picking and packaging the entries. All they need to do is make a few adjustments here and there to take it to the next level, nothing major required. It sounds like from the current developments their getting too confident too fast. I mean they had a top 10 and a top 15 (a HUGE improvement after years in the bottom 5) but have still yet to really challenge for a top 5 or win. :oops:

I really think they should have just continued the method of the last two years and get more consistency results wise before getting so ambitious with the national final their supposedly planning. It can backfire and go down the drain in a heartbeat. I mean look at Germany! A win and two top 10s all in a row, and now they can barely escape 0 points! :eek:

As for a jury I hope its not Bjorkman influenced in any shape or form (too much to ask for I suppose). The last two French entries were so much better the Sweden's they don't need him xsnooty

NickWilde

It's true that France don't shine a lot when it's national selection especially in 2007 and 2014.
But, since we have Edoardo Grassi, the recent French Head of Delegation, i'm confident. He takes really Eurovision seriously and so much the better. The hardest, it's improve in image. It's understable when we did the bottom 5 between 2012-2015.

I'm sure he takes great songs and not "troll" songs. Plus, european juries can vote, it avoid to send a bad song

Top Bottom