You lick your lips as you walk away
Your final kiss is to leave a scar
On a heart
Jezebel

At night you turn into a tiger
A girl who looks like she's a boy
The world's most ultimate survivor

Jеzebel (Jezеbel)
I don't know how you got in my blood (Jezebel)
Was it the dangerous things you do? (Jezebel)
You always wanted to be a star
Jezebel (Jezebel)
If you're the hunter then I'm the prey (Jezebel)
You lick your lips as you walk away (Jezebel)
On a heart

Sunrise, you crawl under the covers
Sleep tight until the dying sun
Tonight you'll catch another lover
Jezebel

Jezebel (Jezebel)
I don't know how you got in my blood (Jezebel)
Was it the dangerous things you do? (Jezebel)
You always wanted to be a star
Jezebel (Jezebel)
If you're the hunter then I'm the prey (Jezebel)
You lick your lips as you walk away (Jezebel)
On a heart

Jezebel (Jezebel)
Jezebel (Jezebel)
Jezebel

DanielLuis

Unsurprisingly, "Thank god I'm an atheist" has fantastic lyrics. Actually that's a thing I'm noticing in recent years on the Eurovision bubble, the standard of the lyrics and messages of the songs is growing a lot and we've seen quite a few different topics being discussed that usually don't appear in typical pop music. "Growing up is getting old" was a great example of that too

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I'm conflicted on the 'thank god I'm an atheist'. I actually really like the song, it has a certain charm to it and its kind of easy listening. However, that voice is an instant turn off. It has to be truly something spectacular to overcome that type of vocal and this does not. Also the title makes me eye roll.

harey

To me Thank god I'm an atheist is way better than Death of us. :ROFLMAO:

My current umk top5:

1. BESS – Ram pam pam
2. Olivera - Thank God I'm an Atheist
3. Cyan Kicks – Hurricane
4. Younghearted – Sun numero
4. The Rasmus – Jezebel

MooseShoes

Surely, people will soon get tired of female singers who change their voice so that they sound like school girls.
You think that's bad? In the 90s any average singer tonight they would sound like Mariah Carey if they just stretched words out as much as possible, for example "truth" became "turoo-oo-ooth." it was horrible!xfacepalm

To me Thank god I'm an atheist is way better than Death of us. :ROFLMAO:
Me too. I can't put my finger on why I don't like Death of Us more, but thus is way better.

heke1988

Olivera has interesting voice. Song is nice, but wau-factor is missing. 3/5 again:D.

Last edited:

harey

Me too. I can't put my finger on why I don't like Death of Us more, but thus is way better.
Sometimes, songs just don't "work" for some people while everyone seems to love it. It was the same thing for me with arcade, so I don't think that my taste fit with public favourites. 🤓 But for me both songs are "cold", I can get that they are well made, I enjoy Thank god I'm an atheist more, but I'm not entirely sold. (I'm not really a ballad lover...)

Ajeje Brazorf

I don't know if Death of Us is better than Thank God I'm an atheist, but I think Elsie's song could be the best option for Norway while Thank God I'm an atheist is not the best option for Finland. MGP is kinda weak this year, while UMK is serving. I find Death of Us less polarizing than Thank God I'm atheist, but if both win their NF's they will suffer both because of the comparisons made between the two, so I hope it never happens.

Mainshow

Veteran
I have to share my anger a bit.

In the last few days, I noticed a couple of comments made by Eurovisionfans that they "expected something better from The Rasmus and that the song is not as good as their breakthrough hit "In The Shadows"" on many platforms and socials.

Of course, everyone has the right to have their own opinion but such comments make me annoyed because knowing some of these people who came up with such comments, I also know which music they usually like. They wouldn´t have supported or voted for The Rasmus anyway. I think it´s also very telling that they basically just remember that one song by them ("In The Shadows") and don´t stop comparing "Jezebel" to that single. - Although I have to agree with the comment that "Jezebel" is not as great as "In The Shadows" or not as "heavy" as that song, I can totally see that these people don´t know their other songs or hits because "Jezebel" is indeed as "strong, heavy, catchy or pop - whatever you wanna call it" as their hit singles like "No Fear", "Guilty", "First Day Of Your Life" or my personal favorite "Shot" (in which you can find some bell sounds as well).

Such comparisons to "In The Shadows" as well as such comments (expected more, this will not do well in Eurovision because it is not as good as "In The Shadows") are just proof to me that these Eurovision fans have no clue what The Rasmus´s sound has been like or which songs they have created throughout their long career, anyway, and thus, wouldn´t have expected anything at all because they simply have no clue about them.

You don´t have to like "Jezebel". You don´t have to like or support The Rasmus but "Jezebel" is as heavy/good as most of their bigger hits. If you don´t like "Jezebel", you didn´t like 99% of their discography besides "In The Shadows", anyway, and thus, I really don´t know what you wanted to expect from them when you read that they would be competing in UMK because apparently, you have no fundament/base to build your expection(s) anyway.

Ajeje Brazorf

In the last few days, I noticed a couple of comments made by Eurovisionfans that they "expected something better from The Rasmus and that the song is not as good as their breakthrough hit "In The Shadows"" on many platforms and socials.

Of course, everyone has the right to have their own opinion but such comments make me annoyed because knowing some of these people who came up with such comments, I also know which music they usually like. They wouldn´t have supported or voted for The Rasmus anyway. I think it´s also very telling that they basically just remember that one song by them ("In The Shadows") and don´t stop comparing "Jezebel" to that single. - Although I have to agree with the comment that "Jezebel" is not as great as "In The Shadows" or not as "heavy" as that song, I can totally see that these people don´t know their other songs or hits because "Jezebel" is indeed as "strong, heavy, catchy or pop - whatever you wanna call it" as their hit singles like "No Fear", "Guilty", "First Day Of Your Life" or my personal favorite "Shot" (in which you can find some bell sounds as well).

Such comparisons to "In The Shadows" as well as such comments (expected more, this will not do well in Eurovision because it is not as good as "In The Shadows") are just proof to me that these Eurovision fans have no clue what The Rasmus´s sound has been like or which songs they have created throughout their long career, anyway, and thus, wouldn´t have expected anything at all because they simply have no clue about them.

You don´t have to like "Jezebel". You don´t have to like or support The Rasmus but "Jezebel" is as heavy/good as most of their bigger hits. If you don´t like "Jezebel", you didn´t like 99% of their discography besides "In The Shadows", anyway, and thus, I really don´t know what you wanted to expect from them when you read that they would be competing in UMK because apparently, you have no fundament/base to build your expection(s) anyway.

In the Shadows is not even in my top5 of The Rasmus songs. It's right when you say everybody remembers them because of that song and think they only do that kind of sound, when they produced songs like "Don't let go", "Last Waltz", "Funeral Song", "Justify" which are all very different things which I really enjoyed back in the past. But it's ok not knowing these titles. What it is not ok is comparing a song released two days ago with something released 18 years ago with 90 million views on YouTube.

Eurovision fans didn't know no more how to evaluate a song without making comparisons: under every single song in every single NF you see a lot of comments making comparisons, which is the worst thing you can do when you evaluate a song. For evaluating a song, three things are crucial: vocals, lyrics, musicality of the song and arrangement. Full stop. If you value songs based on comparisons, nobody of the artists which performed in Eurovision in the last 10 years hasn't invented nothing, so why would you follow the contest? Only for the "Slay Queen" factor? How boring! This is the question I will make to those Eurovision "fans".

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
In the Shadows is not even in my top5 of The Rasmus song. It's right when you say everybody remembers them because of that song and think they only do that kind of sound, when they produced songs like "Don't let go", "Last Waltz", "Funeral Song", "Justify" which are all very different things which I really enjoyed back in the past. But it's ok not knowing these titles. What it is not ok is comparing a song released two days ago with something released 18 years ago with 90 million views on YouTube.

Eurovision fans didn't know no more how to evaluate a song without making comparisons: under every single song in every single NF you see a lot of comments making comparisons, which is the worst thing you can do when you evaluate a song. For evaluating a song, three things are crucial: vocals, lyrics, musicality of the song and arrangement. Full stop. If you value songs based on comparisons, nobody of the artists which performed in Eurovision in the last 10 years hasn't invented nothing, so why would you follow the contest? This is the question I will make to those Eurovision "fans".

I fully agree and of course, this evualtion can be (or even should be) based on your personal likings and taste because music is still a subjective matter but I´m so tired of some Eurovision fans comparing new entries to "Fuego", "Billie Eilish" or now, to the one and only The Rasmus song they know.

Comparing things helps the human brain to rank entities and there´s nothing wrong about that but I hate it that some do it without taking many factors into account.
I´ve also witnessed that these comparisons have become harsher and wilder in recent years.

I don´t think it is wrong to compare songs to things you know or like but I´m just annoyed by these Eurovision fans claiming that "Jezebel" doesn´t sound like "The Rasmus" because they know a single song by them released - like you said - 18 years ago...whilst "Jezebel" really got the same sound/style of arrangement and melody like some other previous hits released by that group...and they use that pseudo-argument to make other people believe that this will be the reason why The Rasmus will not win the national final or perform well in Eurovision :D

I bims

Veteran
You can never win with those people. If "Jezebel" was like "In The Shadows" the same people would say it sounds dated or is just a copy of their former hit. People can't dislike stuff anymore without looking for stupid reasons to justify it, as if you have to justify not liking a song. You just don't, that's fine. But don't be dumb about it. (coming from someone that doesn't even like Jezebel but the comments are annoying).

I fully agree and of course, this evualtion can be (or even should be) based on your personal likings and taste because music is still a subjective matter but I´m so tired of some Eurovision fans comparing new entries to "Fuego", "Billie Eilish" or now, to the one and only The Rasmus song they know.
Don't get me started with the Billie Eilish comparisons. When it comes to Bulgaria 2020 and 2021 yes, the comparisons are valid because Victoria literally imitated Billie's way to sing, you know, basically whispering.
But now every young singer with a moody song is a Billie Eilish copy, even if they sound nothing alike and sing completely different. "Oh, a moody song?! BILLIE EILISH?!" because apparently Billie invented "being a young woman singing a sad song" so no one else can do it :(

Last edited:

Morpheus

Yes! Exactly what's been going through my mind. Have these people ever HEARD The Rasmus?

We need to turn up the volume on your post for the people in the back.

mauve

Veteran

I can completely understand your anger, but honestly - I care less about the people who write this because as you said perfectly, many of them hardly followed The Rasmus over the years (and some only know "In the Shadows"). I have to admit that I don't know all their albums either, just a few. And I might swim against the stream, but I like "Jezebel" just as much as their other songs. To compare their songs makes no sense to me. A band changes within time or doesn't. In the first case people moan "Oh, Jezebel doesn't sound like "In the shadows" at all". In the second case people moan: "Oh, The Rasmus didn't grow musically at all." You can do no one any justice. xshrug

Top Bottom