• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Put your middle fingers up
Take a shot, throw it up and don't stop
I'm, I'm, I'm living that life on the dark side

Every psycho in the scene
Hands up and follow me saying (hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo)
Empire of the freaks, all drinks on me

Just another night in my pitch black paradise
Don't wanna cry, so I gotta get paralyzed
My body is my weapon, so I keep it loaded
'Til I'm all over the place like my head exploded
Don't waste your prayers, they can't save us
Lifestyles of the sick and dangerous

Likе the 27 Club, headshot
We don't wanna grow up
I'm, I'm, I'm living that lifе on the dark side
Life on the dark side

Empire of the freaks, all drinks on me

I'm in a cave of man-made misery
Digging a grave for myself and my enemies
Of all the dark things that keep me wasted
You're the sweetest I've ever tasted

Like the 27 Club, headshot
We don't wanna grow up
Life on the dark side

Just another night in my pitch black paradise
Don't wanna cry so I gotta get paralyzed
Don't waste your prayers, they can't save us
Lifestyles of the sick and dangerous

Like the 27 Club, headshot
We don't wanna grow up
Life on the dark side

Empire of the freaks, all drinks on me​

Last edited by a moderator:

Sammy

Veteran
All I have to say to Dark side is:

I

LIKE LOVE (2nd listening)

THAT!

I really hope, Finland is going for this. In a depressing year like this one I need these guys to scream out my frustration on the stage in Rotterdam.

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Thank you Kai for pointing out the 27 club reference in the lyrics.

To be completely honest, although I know what it is about, I didn’t pay too much attention on it on my first listening, as perhaps I was more focused in the melody, rythm, structure and-or- style of the song.

I think they could sing about picking berries or the deepest poetical essay of the meaning of life and I’d have still paid more attention on the surface rather the substance, if any really. This is probably because of my, some would say, and I’d shamelessly admit, snobbish approach to actual rock genre. As I treated this entry as a plastic pop from the very beginning (it really didn’t take too long to recognise this wasn’t rock, let alone metal, as later it was confirmed by someone quoting the very self-definition from the band as a “violent” ? pop) I overlooked that bit, as I couldn’t care less of their lyrics.

I’m with you 100% when you admit looking different things from different genres, and I this is extensive to different artists in the same genre even, because we finally appreciate or judge a song on its own , individually. This gives us also freedom, and peace of mind when liking a song regardless, as we don’t really care about the so called “guilty pleasures”.

I'd have to admit having a snobbish approach too when it comes to rock, although it actually makes me feel a bit embarrassed as I don't like that characteristic in others. I try to at least keep it to myself as much as I can and to be respectful of what people dig, because lord knows, people have had to be patient with me over the years. I do consistently try with everything though, and as a result it becomes rewarding when I come across or are introduced to enjoyable songs from sub genres I usually find no common ground with. Me and symphonic metal have had the most ghastly of relationships over the years (not quite like my relationship with the genre called Sam Smith but very close), however, recently I've found myself humming along to a song or two, being able to appreciate the craft and what goes into these dramatic lumps of cheddar. If one thing ESC has done over the years it's that it's taught me to be a bit more open minded. I wouldn't usually be listening to a band like AWS for instance but I thought they were great. The following year I loved Fatal Error even more in Hungary's NF. I've opened up 🙌 (a bit).

And guilty pleasures are simply the worst concept. Shows you care what other people make of your listening habits. That's not how to enjoy music. Be free and feel no shame from whatever is making you vibe. I say this as someone who literally couldn't have afforded to have done guilty pleasures in the first place anyway. I'd have been made to die from shame at this point several times over.

hijirio

Veteran
I am blinded by the darkness here, so many rockheads.
I need to add some pink, glitter and basic trash taste to this page.

1- Teflon Brothers feat Pandora - I Love You (8/10)
This is the only song here that I will bother to stream in my daily life. Instantly catchy. It even has slight Erika Vikman vibes? The synths etc. If the toxic male vocals weren't there, it could even be one of my faves in Eurovision.

2- Laura - Play (5/10)
It started very promising, but the chorus is a big letdown. Sorry Laura sis, don't come back again if you don't have anything better to offer. #bye #wontmiss

3- Blind Channel - Dark Side (3/10)
The only positivity i see in this act: at least it's not a guitar/piano ballad.

4- Aksel - Hurt (1/10)
tenor.gif

(But I think he should go to ESC for the sole reason that he was robbed of his chance to perform last year. Let's not forget that no matter how savage we can be while criticizing songs, we are all humanbeings and we all have feelings. So does he. Go Aksel!)

5- Oskr - Lie (1/10)
Kill it before it lays eggs!

6- Danny - Sinä päivänä kun kaikki rakastaa mua (1/10)
i-

BorisBubbles

Veteran
bloody WORD @ ESCTurkey by giving OSKR and Aksel blisteringly low scores. The Salvaduncans of the Euroverse (you know the type: claims to be 'a sad boi'', thrive on your collective pity and guilt, but can sustain a musical career due to their upper middle class privilege, dilute music to mere 'emotions' as if it's an 'art' when in reality that's music in its most basic, unevolved form) must be D E S T R O Y E D.

can't wait for Monument to win esc and cast them all down :-)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
@EscTurkey Wow, our ranking is pretty much identical apart from how you accidentally put Danny at the very bottom. He should be sitting just below the lovely Teflon Brothers and their Pandora friend. As the popular saying I just invented goes: If sugar daddy don't, who gonna do?

I think his song is lovely xheart

Morpheus

And I'm sorry for being a little sassy back to you. I know I can be full on sometimes when sharing opinions. I tell myself not to but I always end up writing a mini novel.

I haven't been looking elsewhere for opinions on the song. I just decided to give it another chance whilst focusing a bit better, paying closer attention to the lyrics. I listen to a shit tonne of dark stuff outside of the contest. I'm unphased. It's just for me the dodgy reference used in Dark Side doesn't nestle in well with its surroundings, and it lessons the positive message I'm being told is there.

But anyway, regardless of my feelings for Dark Side, I think it's probably the most solid song on offer from the six we've heard. Providing it's performed well live, it will have its audience both in and outside the ESC bubble. It could do very (perhaps extremely) well. Out of fairness, I still think that Aksel should win but I'm starting to get a feeling it won't happen, especially with 75% televoting *cough* which I wish you would have had last year.

Sassy is good :D
Things can get a little tense when it's NF season, it's cool.

heke1988

And of course let's see live versions of the songs first, until declare a winner;).

NNR

bloody WORD @ ESCTurkey by giving OSKR and Aksel blisteringly low scores. The Salvaduncans of the Euroverse (you know the type: claims to be 'a sad boi'', thrive on your collective pity and guilt, but can sustain a musical career due to their upper middle class privilege, dilute music to mere 'emotions' as if it's an 'art' when in reality that's music in its most basic, unevolved form) must be D E S T R O Y E D.

can't wait for Monument to win esc and cast them all down :-)
can I ask what you're basing your assumption that either of these finnish artists are "upper middle class" on?

BorisBubbles

Veteran
can I ask what you're basing your assumption that either of these finnish artists are "upper middle class" on?
Common sense? You can't make a living out of music like that. (in fact Salvador's entire bitterness towards ESC is grounded in the fact that he didn't find success on his own). It's commonly found among anyone who considers themselves 'a professional artist'. Be it a painter, author or composer, you can only make a living out of it if you very talented, or if you already have the social security to not worry about what others think.

Or maybe I just hate men. Who knows these days. xshrug

Not wanting to dance anymore, but I must dance
And guilty pleasures are simply the worst concept. Shows you care what other people make of your listening habits. That's not how to enjoy music. Be free and feel no shame from whatever is making you vibe. I say this as someone who literally couldn't have afforded to have done guilty pleasures in the first place anyway. I'd have been made to die from shame at this point several times over.

giphy.gif

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Finally got around to listening to these Finnish NF songs and must say I am not much impressed. Finland should of course have invited Erika Vikman back to participate for Finland now in 2021 with another Schlager-ish Eurodance bop after she was robbed last year.

As for this year's entries, 'Dark Side' has elements I like (kinda The Rasmus-ish in parts) but for me the rapping weakens it. Remove the rap-part and I would have embraced it further. 'Hurt' is a better ballad than last year's effort for me but still only average. The other songs were kinda poor imo. My guess is that Blind Channel will win with 'Dark Side' because it stands out, brings some power and energy, the only other song I think can best it is 'Hurt'.

Myself I will instead keep listening to the gorgeous 'Cicciolina' from last year, an audio-visual blast that I never tire of xcheer

elanyvx

Ok I'm in love with Ilta's song. Amazing voice, and I love the language, power ballad 100%.

1° Ilta
2° Blind Channel
3° Aksel (only for a second chance to see him to Rotterdam)
4° Teflon Brothers

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
okkkk "Kelle mä soitan" is really easily the best. Its rather lovely and the fact its in Finnish is a pleasant extra actually, if it were English I don't think it would work as well. It also builds nicely, if she delivers well live then this should be the 1 to win the NF tbh.

mauve

Veteran
Okay, the song is definitely on my second place of this NF. I still would prefer BC though since there will be enough ballads to follow and we could need some rock entry.

Mainshow

Veteran
Absolutely stunning. I didn't expect this song to have such a huge impact on me. Beautiful voice, great built-up, it blows me away... Seriously, I need "Kelle mä soitan" in Eurovision!

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Like Ashley said, I don't think I would give it much attention if it was in English. But I love hearing Finish language and it suits this ballad well. I actually like it a lot, I caught myself putting it on repeat 3 times already. And like mauve said, it sits definitely at a solid second place in this nf.

Not wanting to dance anymore, but I must dance
giphy.gif

Dark Side performed by Blind Channel
I Love You performed by Teflon Brothers x Pandora
Kelle mä soitan performed by Ilta
Sinä päivänä kun kaikki rakastaa mua perfomed by Danny

Play performed by Laura

Lie performed by Oskr
Hurt performed by Aksel

Top Bottom