13 4.7%

11 4.0%

12 4.4%

7 2.5%

4 1.5%

13 4.7%

• Total voters

cegs5

This song wasn't less beautiful, deep and intimate than Salvador's... so why did he (deservedly) won and they didn't even reach the final? Have the juries been drinking?

Amar pelos dois is easier to digest, while Blackbird is a bit darker and depressive somehow. I think the jury also thought that it was enough to pick only one between Portugal and Finland, that may explain why it was placed low by many of them, unlike the televote which placed them almost in every top 10 of each country.

The draw wasn't either favorable to them, just three minutes separeted them both. I bet, if it was placed in semifinal 2 it would probably have done better with the juries. In any case, most of Finns are proud of their performance and there is nothing to complain about. There are ways to lose, Norma John lost the game delievering a quality product and it'll be remembered as one of the most underrated entries, that's in the end much better than being a top 10 with only 2 points from the televote.

yulichka

I don't know what makes me more sad, the song or the fact they ended up 12th in the semi :( It is firm Top 5 of the whole Eurovision. So sad ESC crowd does not appreciate something as beautiful as Blackbird...

P.S It was the only song that I remembered from the two semifinals.

Realest

Thanks to the Juries for eliminating this overhyped song. Finland should have sent Emma, then they would have reached the Final.

sharkan

Emma would have never reached the final either. It was the essence of eurovision stereotypes and wet dream of eurofan boys.

Disposable, repetitive melody with arrangement and visuals which pretends to be somehow ethnic. Mid 2000s are over.

LoveHate

We probably would have sent Emma had she been able to sing the song live.

Overall UMK had maybe three songs that were not complete disasters. Blackbird was one of them, and had by far the best live performance. It was the best choice. Not spectacular in any way (if you ask me), but nothing to be ashamed of either. We failed with style.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Emma would have never reached the final either. It was the essence of eurovision stereotypes and wet dream of eurofan boys.

Disposable, repetitive melody with arrangement and visuals which pretends to be somehow ethnic. Mid 2000s are over.

Blackbird was everything Circle Of Light wasn't and it still didn't make it. Mainly because the song wasn't strong enough. Circle Of Light was a far better song with a worse performance, but it would have stood out more. I honestly think it would have qualified.

Realest

At least Juries proved that they dont always push slow ballads high. I dont see it undeserved being ranked under :cy: and :gr:. And thank God the Televoters thought the same. Good Voices dont justify such boring Songs in my opinion. I only agree that it would be a better choice than :au:.

blue00eyes

At least Juries proved that they dont always push slow ballads high. I dont see it undeserved being ranked under :cy: and :gr:. And thank God the Televoters thought the same. Good Voices dont justify such boring Songs in my opinion. I only agree that it would be a better choice than :au:.
Sorry to be in the opposite to you once again :D
Cyprus and Greece were both boring songs heard million times before, sung pretty mediocre live. What kind of Quality did juries see in this I don't know. Greece is too 00's to be considered quality.
I disagree with Finland being boring, it's maybe not your cup of tea, it's atmospheric. I heard Blackbird for the first time in semi and I fell in love... it was so sad, well staged and well sung live.
Viewers were right to put this in their top10

Ezio

Veteran
Emma would have crashed and burned in the semis. Even Greta Salome's hypetrain crashed last year, which I think was totally deserved, so Emma with an even more generic copycat song would have gone nowhere near the borderline.

The result for Norma John is the saddest story of this year's ESC. I don't know why juries did not appreciate the song and why fans did neither. It was atmospheric, modern, edgy and very out of the bubble.

Realest

Well no, in the Opposite of Greta, Emma hasnt got a thin voice which is overtuned by her background-singer half of the song and a copied stage performance.

Laepo1

Sorry to be in the opposite to you once again :D
Cyprus and Greece were both boring songs heard million times before, sung pretty mediocre live. What kind of Quality did juries see in this I don't know. Greece is too 00's to be considered quality.
I disagree with Finland being boring, it's maybe not your cup of tea, it's atmospheric. I heard Blackbird for the first time in semi and I fell in love... it was so sad, well staged and well sung live.
Viewers were right to put this in their top10

YES

Cyprus and Greece were more of the same, boring pop songs more focused on the performance than the music... with hot guys/girls showing more of their sexiness than their vocal talent.

Finland was a powerhouse ballad, with amazing vocals. although I understand it might not be everyone's cup of tea has you said, it definitely deserved a place in the final.

Well no, in the Opposite of Greta, Emma hasnt got a thin voice which is overtuned by her background-singer half of the song and a copied stage performance.

what? :confused:

Realest

whom did Greta copy? buddy, you need to explain that stuff, my heart can't handle that.

Well, there was very much similar to Mans Performance in 2015. Copy is maybe eaggerated, but there a some similarities. But her biggest Problem was of course her low vocal capacity.

ESCada

Well, there was very much similar to Mans Performance in 2015. Copy is maybe eaggerated, but there a some similarities. But her biggest Problem was of course her low vocal capacity.

C'mon
Greta sounded exactly the same as the studio version.
No need to hate.
She may not be a Mariah or a Celine but she did quite a good job vocally.

Ezio

Veteran
Greta looked like Loreen doing Mans. And her song was from the "How to do Eurovision" cookbook. Like Emma's.

Realest

C'mon
Greta sounded exactly the same as the studio version.
No need to hate.
She may not be a Mariah or a Celine but she did quite a good job vocally.

But i hear most of the time her male backgroundsinger. If she had at least a female her thin voice would not stand out that much.

tuorem

My review of "Blackbird":

-Finland is an interesting nation in ESC because one can never be sure of what they'll send, it could be anything. It's been a long time since I've rooted for one of their entries though (2010). This year, they decided to send an atmospheric and non-Eurovisiony ballad, sung by a group that happened to be the most convincing and professional act of their NF. It's a very slow and almost acoustic song, there's something in it that makes it sound Scandinavian somehow but I'm not sure what, maybe the melody itself. As someone pointed it out, the main interest and amazing feat here is that Norma John have succeeded in composing a song with a sad mood by using major chord progressions, which isn't easy to do. As a ballad lover, "Blackbird" should have been a no-brainer for me, but no. The first time I heard it - while admitting this entry had a clear mood and some musical merit - I didn't really understood the hype surrounding it. Now that I'm accustomed to it, I can see why people may love it and be moved by it. Still, I've personally failed to connect with it, there isn't anything particular in the song for me to like it. Even the piano bridge didn't really impress me. But then again, I recognise the song has some musical merit, it was different from the usual Eurovision ballad format, and that alone made it worthy in the semi final lineup. Pros: the atmosphere and silences of the song. Cons: I find it slightly dull at times, due to me not being able to get into the song.

To me, the obvious highlight is the chorus which has a cinematic and - dare I say - "heavenly" quality to it.

-Vocally, there is nothing to say in particular: it was well sung and quite emotional. The live performance elevated the song definitely. The singer seemed genuinely moved and I admit she could almost sell the song to my unblinking heart.

-Visually, it was fairly simple and similar to their NF presentation: some smoke, a piano, a large white spotlight, a dark blue water-like graphic design in the background, and hints of red light. This might not have been revolutionary, but who cares? This was beautiful and exactly what the song needed: nothing less, nothing more. I really liked the "wall" of lights appearing right before the last chorus, and choosing to make the led screen turn red was oddly a good idea, even though - as far as synesthesia is concerned - I feel like "Blackbird" is a blue and white song. Outfit-wise, I really liked the impressive black dress and the lace-like motifs on it: yes, it was funeral-looking somehow, but it's not like the song conveys a happy message, so... I approve of it!

-Results-wise, I truly thought juries would get behind this one and it appeared that people supported it more... So thank you to these music expects for preferring masterpieces like "This Is Love" and "Gravity" over "Blackbird" (sarcasm mode on). I'm not sure about whether I felt this would qualify or not, I guess I had no clue. I'm not super sad Finland missed the final because the song leaves me cold for the most part, but given some of the qualifiers, they would have deserved to get through. Thank you to the Finnish for sending a classy and different act, keep up the good work, your ballads really tend to be unfairly underrated (never forget "När Jag Blundar").

Top Bottom