11 2.9%

12 3.2%

24 6.3%

38 10.0%

193 50.8%

• Total voters

Sammy

Veteran
Ok lets go again.. down syndrome is called a syndrome because it has some symptoms. They have big tongues and small noses and ears , small hands and they have difficulty holding things because their muscles weak.. think yourself trying to sing with a huge tungue in your small mouth. No they can not sing so well as we do. And accepting it is not patronizing . It is just the reality and it means that we should love them and applause them for what they do. As for being children or not.. they are children. if you see their personality the most of them are quiet sweet not creating problems . As for the olympics , eurovision is not the olympics ,it is not just a voice or singing competition because if it was many of the winners i will not say names should not even be in the finals..

me to, once again ;)
eurovision song contest is called a contest because it is a competition. Putting somebody in a final because he tries to do something that others do better is the opposite of a competition.
Of course there are limitations for people with down syndrome, I'm pretty aware of that. But as these people have limitations, others also have limitations that take chances away from them in a competition. There is no reason to think the battle against difficulties of someone with down syndrome is more impressive than the battle of say the polish singer against her paralysis. But nobody would say: put her in the final, because she made it to the semi and fought for it. That is an issue nobody would even think to address. PKN did the best they could do and the audience cheered for them and applauded them for their efforts and their presentation. Nobody booed, nobody excluded them. But you can be impressed by someone and still think he is not the best in a competition.
What I wrote about patronizing was directed to the lyrics of their song.
I do not consider them as children. They may behave childish sometimes (I personally know a few people with down syndrome, not too close, but still), but they are grown-ups and I think they deserve to have the respect adults get. Even if sometimes you have to make compromises in your behavior towards them. But I do not see them as children nor do I think they should be lied to, especially when they WANT to be taken seriously.
As for olympics. If you don't like the comparison with olympic games, compare it to any other sportive competition. Perhaps with a more artistic sport. But either way - if you agree with the finalists or not - its at least the european championship of singing, and in my humble opinion it should stay a competition (with all the issues, irregularities and so on, we discuss). If people with special needs take part in it - fantastic! It should not matter. But a handicap should also not become the reason to put someone in the final automatically, or worse (which in this case I don't think it was) a Unique Selling Proposition for a song.

Iuris

A lesson for Finland. Definitely, they can do it much better, and the amazing UMK is an example of it.

Fluke

Was this the best-oddsed entry ever not to make the finals? I remember "DJ, Take Me Away" from a couple of years ago being something like 4th, then not making the finals..... are there any more examples?

cegs5

Not surprised about last place in SF1 ...but PKN reached a place in the televoting top 10 in several countries, even won it in Estonia.
Nothing else to say.

Terence

Deserved.
Tuneless noise which thankfully lasted well less than three minutes.

Jounah

no surprise at all. just exactly what i thought would happen when they won the NF

Mattan

Not surprised about last place in SF1 ...but PKN reached a place in the televoting top 10 in several countries, even won it in Estonia.
Nothing else to say.

While I don't have the exact numbers, PKN may very well have been top 10 in the televoting overall. Pretty decent ranks throughout.

nofuxCZ

Finland was top 10 in televoting in 16 countries, only France, Moldova and Spain had them lower (but not last place!)

On the other hand, only Serbian jury had them in top 10, all other juries placed them lower.

OVFtOrs.png

musicfan

The Polish singer was handicapped as well, but she had a far better song. Actually she deserved to do much better, the stupid jury system cost her I believe.

Joni

The Polish singer was handicapped as well, but she had a far better song. Actually she deserved to do much better, the stupid jury system cost her I believe.

You should remember though that the handicaps are totally different here, she was physically injured in an accident and the guys have been mentally disabled from birth.

Milos-BC

To them privately I wish all the best and to keep the enthusiasm alive and rolling.

The song itself got what it deserved. Even more than that actually, as this one deserved to end with a 0 much more than :at: and :de:. It was beyond terrible in practically every possible way.

I hope we won't see any more experiments like this in the future.

Joni

Couldn't agree more. I wish the band well etc but ESC-wise this was a totally wasted year for us imo. I still feel it difficult to even believe that this was chosen to represent us. The first (and last?) hardcore punk song ever in ESC performed by disabled people, that will be remembered about this entry. Well, hopefully it did some good to someone somewhere in Europe, gave hope to disabled people etc.

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island

I disagree with this. If we don't have songs like this, that go their own way, Eurovision will become very boring. Maybe it's because I kinda like punk rock, but I feel this song deserved a better result. I'm not surprised tho, I wouldn't expect most punk rockers watches Eurovision... But I hope they had fun. :)

Joni

I disagree with this. If we don't have songs like this, that go their own way, Eurovision will become very boring.

It might be fun - as long as it is not your own country that has such a song in the contest... ;) Because then after the NF result you have 2-3 depressing months with no expectations, knowing that your entry will score about 0 points..

cegs5

I disagree with this. If we don't have songs like this, that go their own way, Eurovision will become very boring.

The best proof of it is that this year many countries went for a "safe entry", let's say plastic pop or dull ballads. I found kind of refreshing to have an entry like "Aina mun pitää" ... wishing that only entries that fit in our own music taste could take part of ESC is fascist.

Top Bottom