Contact us

FIFA World Cup 2022

Zerocalcare

But you do know that Italy is ... absent? :ROFLMAO:
Yes, I know 😁 The great effort to win the European Championship (where we faced all the strongest teams in sequence) cost us dearly. Later, a sense of contentment mixed with a little bad luck, repeated injuries that deprived us of the best interpreters, two missed penalties and a mistake in the coverage phase by Florenzi against Bulgaria threw us into hell. Too much pressure and nervousness and we fell for a North Macedonia goal (a shot that if taken 100 times you miss for 98). We could have been dangerous in this World Cup as well as the one in 2018 (which saw poor Sweden advance to the quarterfinals and France win with the Italian catenaccio). Since the failure to qualify, everything has been called into question but we managed, only with the young players, to access the Nations League Final Four by overcoming the toughest group (making England relegate in B). However, Italy has the highest percentage of victories at the World Cup (fewer participations than Brazil and Germany). Let's not forget that we have lifted four World Cups and together with Brazil we are the only team to have won two in a row. Latest statistical data: Italy in 1934-1938 (the strongest team in the world at the beginning of the century) did not participate in the 1930 World Cup (boycotted) and did not compete in the 1942 and 1946 World Cups due to the war. Then the "Superga Massacre" deprived us of all the strongest internationals and we had to start over. In 1962 (perhaps we would not have won) the refereeing of the English referee gave life to the famous "Battle of Santiago" against Chile and we were unjustly eliminated. In 1966 (we may not have won - however, England didn't deserve to win) we underestimated North Korea and were eliminated. In 1970 Brazil were too strong but we wouldn't have lost 4-1 if we hadn't faced Germany in the "Challenge of the Century" a few days earlier. Too much effort mixed with a world championship played at high altitude (difficulty breathing and more fatigue) made us collapse. In 1990, 1994 and 1998 with our golden generation where we were the strongest in the world we won nothing stopped by fatal penalty kicks. In 2002 Blatter and Moreno robbed us of a world championship won and only in 2006, when our interpreters were at the end of their careers, did we triumph (Blatter didn't even want to give us the prize). We are now coming out of our dark period and at the European Championships we showed once again that we are capable of winning without champions (Italy has never been as brilliant as Brazil and Argentina but has always been more cynical and solid team). As I predicted the victory of Euro 2020, Italy will triumph in 2026 in the USA where a cursed penalty took away the joy of beating a Brazil that was not invincible. Ah... then Italy is a team that historically fails easy challenges but when it manages to overcome the highest obstacle (many times it was the group stage) it almost totally won and did it in an epic way (like 1982 where we beat Zico's Brazil, Maradona's Argentina, Lato and Boniek's Poland and strong West Germany). Final 2026: Italy-Germany. Be careful Mauve that when Italy sees Germany in the World Cup it becomes more furious than a bull 🐂😄

Zerocalcare

Crazy odds: after the great history and football tradition that sees only 6 participations in the World Cup (reaching the round of 16 only in 1986) and only one African Cup (which relegates it to being the least successful African national team), Morocco will win the Qatar 2022 World Cup xheyaxlove

mauve

Veteran
Yes, I know 😁 The great effort to win the European Championship (where we faced all the strongest teams in sequence) cost us dearly. Later, a sense of contentment mixed with a little bad luck, repeated injuries that deprived us of the best interpreters, two missed penalties and a mistake in the coverage phase by Florenzi against Bulgaria threw us into hell. Too much pressure and nervousness and we fell for a North Macedonia goal (a shot that if taken 100 times you miss for 98). We could have been dangerous in this World Cup as well as the one in 2018 (which saw poor Sweden advance to the quarterfinals and France win with the Italian catenaccio). Since the failure to qualify, everything has been called into question but we managed, only with the young players, to access the Nations League Final Four by overcoming the toughest group (making England relegate in B). However, Italy has the highest percentage of victories at the World Cup (fewer participations than Brazil and Germany). Let's not forget that we have lifted four World Cups and together with Brazil we are the only team to have won two in a row. Latest statistical data: Italy in 1934-1938 (the strongest team in the world at the beginning of the century) did not participate in the 1930 World Cup (boycotted) and did not compete in the 1942 and 1946 World Cups due to the war. Then the "Superga Massacre" deprived us of all the strongest internationals and we had to start over. In 1962 (perhaps we would not have won) the refereeing of the English referee gave life to the famous "Battle of Santiago" against Chile and we were unjustly eliminated. In 1966 (we may not have won - however, England didn't deserve to win) we underestimated North Korea and were eliminated. In 1970 Brazil were too strong but we wouldn't have lost 4-1 if we hadn't faced Germany in the "Challenge of the Century" a few days earlier. Too much effort mixed with a world championship played at high altitude (difficulty breathing and more fatigue) made us collapse. In 1990, 1994 and 1998 with our golden generation where we were the strongest in the world we won nothing stopped by fatal penalty kicks. In 2002 Blatter and Moreno robbed us of a world championship won and only in 2006, when our interpreters were at the end of their careers, did we triumph (Blatter didn't even want to give us the prize). We are now coming out of our dark period and at the European Championships we showed once again that we are capable of winning without champions (Italy has never been as brilliant as Brazil and Argentina but has always been more cynical and solid team). As I predicted the victory of Euro 2020, Italy will triumph in 2026 in the USA where a cursed penalty took away the joy of beating a Brazil that was not invincible. Ah... then Italy is a team that historically fails easy challenges but when it manages to overcome the highest obstacle (many times it was the group stage) it almost totally won and did it in an epic way (like 1982 where we beat Zico's Brazil, Maradona's Argentina, Lato and Boniek's Poland and strong West Germany). Final 2026: Italy-Germany. Be careful Mauve that when Italy sees Germany in the World Cup it becomes more furious than a bull 🐂😄
I really would love to see Italy-Germany in a Final again! :) But first we have to fight in this WC. I think we won't make it far, but we have some new youngsters (as Musiala ect.) that need some experience, so this WC is hopefully a start to something bigger in 2024. :)

Looren

Veteran
Supporting Polen there, my favourite player ever Lewandowski is there, I hope he makes a great WC

hijirio

Veteran
Saudi Arabia probably rigged the match against Argentina, I don’t have any proof but I have trust issues.

Grinch

Saudi Arabia probably rigged the match against Argentina, I don’t have any proof but I have trust issues.
Nah, their goalkeeper was incredible

By the way I love seeing westerners (especially europeans) pressed when they realize their their values aren't universal and they should respect other cultures.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
I just have one thing to say, fuck FIFA!

The amount of greed, corruption and cynicism and its current leadership is astonishing. Infantilo (yes that should be his correct name) and his gang needs to go. I hope people boycott this.

They would sell their own mothers.

Realest

:dk: is not the Topfavourite I thought they were.

Zeus

Nah, their goalkeeper was incredible

By the way I love seeing westerners (especially europeans) pressed when they realize their their values aren't universal and they should respect other cultures.
Cultures? Most of the criticism is about human rights. 'Respect' is also quite the ironic choice of words here. The One Love-armband for example is all about respect and anti-racism, even religion is included. But because the LQTBQ+ community is included too and the Qatari doesn't 'respect' (speaking of it) them at all, FIFA plays the manipulative dictator-role they are good at.

Looren

Veteran
Australia was quite weak, and their coach was absolutely horrendous, his choices were 💀

France/Denmark and France/Tunisia will be good games

Also I don't get Polish coach, Zielinski shouldn't play that high, they should play in some 4-4-2 with Lewa/Milik upfront

When Milik got in they suddenly became good, this coach is wasting the team's potential imo

By not winning this they maybe condemned themselves, it'll be hard for them to make it now

mauve

Veteran
I won't be predicting anymore, I simply suck at it. :rolleyes: But here is my wish-list for today:
Marocco, Germany (Wouldn't mind seeing my second home country Japan win though), Costa Rica, Canada.

As we talked before, I am afraid of our defense, but hope that our offensive will be strong enough to make up for the mistakes that the defense does. I think I will be happy enough if our team will survive the group stage.:oops:

Zerocalcare

After just eight games, here is the ranking of points acquired by partecipant federations:

1. UEFA: 12 points (3 wins - 3 draws - 0 losses / 13 goals scored and 4 conceded / +9 goal difference).
  2. COMNEBOL: 3 points (1 win - 0 draws - 1 loss / 3 goals scored and 2 conceded).
  3. AFC: 3 points (1 win - 0 draws - 3 losses / 5 goals scored and 13 conceded / -8 goal difference).
  4. CONCACAF: 2 point (0 wins - 2 draws - 0 losses / 1 goal scored and 1 conceded / =0 goal difference).
  5. CAF: 1 points (0 wins - 1 draws - 1 loss / 0 goals scored and 2 conceded / -2 goal difference).
Zerocalcare's Opinions:

Evaluating the last three matches, I'm surprised by Tunisia's performance (I wish them to win against Australia and make their group more complicated), a draw of convenience between Mexico and Poland (after Argentina's defeat it was the best choice) and complete victory for France but which wins more for the demerits of a poor Australia than for anything else (unlike many whose eyes light up when they see the goleades, I say that the World Cup is almost always won by "playing badly" or "surprise mode" - I await for France more serious tests which put their defense in difficulty which is not watertight).

ShoeFlo

Today I definitely cross my fingers for Costa Rica and Canada

The two earlier matches though... I just hope Morocco vs Croatia to be a entertaining match with a deserved winner or maybe a lovely draw. I don't really want to take a side here, even though I usually support Croatia in tournaments

and yeah, I guess I will support Germany as usual but since I am a fan of Japanese football I kinda hope they will have their moments and still gain some confidence for the following matches despite losing

Looren

Veteran
I'll make some heart attacks today for sure :lol:

Of course supporting Morocco and Belgium

As for the others am fine with both Germany and Japan and let's go Costa Rica for the other

Top Bottom