Contact us

Feedbacks + Announcements

Orient Matsuri

This started off as a single topic about a specific feedback. Now it's turned into a general feedback and announcements board. Feel free to post your suggestions, critiques and questions!

--------

Hello. We are here today to discuss a bit about the contest.

First of all, we successfully reached 10 editions! This contest started as a wish from a group of friends who wanted to share music from other countries outside the western part of the world. Our wish gladly came true, but that wouldn't have been possible hadn't you all joined and shared your discoveries. Orient Matsuri wouldn't be what it is today without such a loyal and active community. We thank all of you for believing in us and we hope there are more and more editions of OM to come and that you will still be with us.

We want to grow even more as a contest and a community. Therefore, we would like to receive some feedback from the participants. What is your input on the contest so far? Do you have any suggestions regarding rules, entries, format that you would like to give? What can we do to make OM even better? We will gladly listen to all of your comments.

We also have an important announcement to make.

As some of you might already know, Flo left the forum and, consequently, the OM mod team. The current team discussed and we decide to open his spot to whoever is interested to.

If you wish to be a mod of Orient Matsuri, all you have to do is to send us a private message and explain why we should pick you.

This thread will be updated with more details in the upcoming days.

Thank you for reading and much love to all of you.

Ana, Deniz and Lauii.

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I think the main problem is that OM's roster is half the size of the other contests. In my head I can just envision there being very small editions, if we go by say for instance WV on average pulling in about a third of its players for spin-offs each month. It would depend on overall how interested the playerbase here would be in having them.

I have a suggestion for the contest. Could we expand the numbers of associate members to even include countries outside Africa (Australia, New Zealand, and even European countries)? Therefore we can increase the total number of participants to about 40 allowing more forum users to compete. However, these western countries HAVE to compete with artists of Asian origin, have 70% of their popularity in the ABU area, and having songs suited for the nature of Orient Matsuri.

What do you all think of this suggestion?

Last edited:

Grinch

200.gif

The whole idea of creating OM was appreciating Asian music & having no semi finals so every song can be listened by every single participant (unlike NSC & WV). 40 songs = 2 semi finals since it's not fair to pick top 10 out of 40 songs (even 32 songs are too much for me sometimes) and I don't support that. And we can already send European/Australian artists with Asian origins if they fit the criteria.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Extending the eligible area would kinda miss the point of this contest + as Grinch said, if these artists have Asian origins then they theoretically can already be sent.
And about the number, right now we have 1 person in the WL, that can participate when someone fails to confirm (which happens almost every edition), for me there's no need to extend it, especially as we all agreed we didn't want SF.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
The idea behind Orient Matsuri wasn't exclusively about Asia, despite its name. The contest was created for regions of the world which are usually underrepresented and often underrated and it initially included a good chunk of Europe (basically the Balkans, half of Eastern Europe and the eastern half of Central Europe).

I think it is time to make all African nations full members because I noticed that there's certainly an increased interest in the continent, especially in the last five editions or so.

Instead of having African associate members, I would like to see a limited number of spots (something like three for starters) for the Caribbean region, maybe Central America as well. Despite their geographical position, I don't feel like they suffer from overrepresentation and they are definitely not as popular as countries that are already allowed to take part in OM such as Turkey, South Korea or Japan. I would like to know what you think of this :D

hawadharma

@Grinch @Edweis

Well, I get your arguments against my proposal and this does break the spirit of OM to include semis. I think competing with western artists of Asian origin under the flag of let's say Malaysia does solve this.

Alright then, case closed.
Yuna representing :us: I just can't xshock

Orient Matsuri

Hey there.

As it was mentioned here, we are planning to update the rules soon (we are at the final touches). It's nothing so groundbreaking; we are mostly adding details that were not present before (regarding tie-breaking, NFs, etc). However, we would like to hear from you about the rules of song eligibility.

In the present day, they are as it follows below:

ENTRIES

1. Each country can select their entries internally or through a National Matsuri (National Final).
  2. The entrant is eligible when they are (partially) from that country or live(d) there and have gained the majority of their success in the broadcasting area.
  3. Features/groups are allowed if the main vocalist is eligible for their country (rule 2) and at least 50% of the artists are from the broadcasting area.
  4. An artist can only participate for one country in each edition, this includes being featured/being part of a group.
  5. Entries can be of any duration and from any year.
  6. Cover songs are allowed to be sent in the contest.
  7. Cover songs can ‘re-enter’ the contest after 30 editions.
  8. Eurovison songs and songs which competed in national finals, as well as their covers, are not allowed to compete.
  9. You can start promoting your entry after it had been played in the first listening party organized on plug.dj. Before that, you are not allowed to share it fully or its title.
    • You are, however, allowed and encouraged to pre-promote your entry in a form of a teaser, which can be: revealing the artist's name, gifs from the video, riddles or video teasers of the song with a duration of up to 18 seconds and similar, as long as it does not reveal the title.

What do you think of them? Do they satisfy your demands? Would you add or remove any detail? Also, any feedbacks regarding our verdict and vetoes? Do you believe a song that was formerly accepted shouldn't be here? Do you think there is a song that was vetoed that should have been accepted? Should we make artist elegibility more specific? Every input matters!

Furthermore, there is a question where we can't reach a consensus and we would like to hear your opinion: what's your say in sending artists from disputed areas? Should we accept them? If so, from all nations that are disputing said territory? Eg: should we accept an artist from Crimea as a Russian entry? Should we accept singers from Artsakh as both Armenia and Azerbaijan? Should we accept Taiwanese singers as a Chinese entry?

Thank you for your feedback and for being part of this community. We love you.

Amir

Veteran
For the last question: Should artists of disputed areas be accepted? Yes, definitely, but I would go for the self-identification of the singers to determin which country they will actually represent.
Otherwise you could just send any Israeli for Palestine or any Taiwanese for China. And I think that would be weird and not authentic.
Example: I sent Noel Kharman for Palestine, though she lives somewhere near Haifa. But you can see on her social media, that she clearly identifies herself as Palestinian.
Other example: For singers such as Mira Awad, who is Arab-Israeli of Palestinian decent, she should be eligible for both countries.
Last example: An Armenian singer from Arstakh singing about how great Armenia is, should not be eligible for Azerbaijan

Uto

Veteran
Furthermore, there is a question where we can't reach a consensus and we would like to hear your opinion: what's your say in sending artists from disputed areas? Should we accept them? If so, from all nations that are disputing said territory? Eg: should we accept an artist from Crimea as a Russian entry? Should we accept singers from Artsakh as both Armenia and Azerbaijan? Should we accept Taiwanese singers as a Chinese entry?
I feel that we should take a point of view that is in line with reality and not with butthurt politicians. So yeah Crimea is Russian now, Donbas is Ukrainian. Artsakh is totally unclear as it's de facto independent so it should be eligible for both Azerbaijan and Armenia as long as it's clear what side the artist is leaning. Taiwan is clearly just its own country.

Of course some shit will always be borderline in the end. The UN can't nail these issues, it's utopian to think that we would be able to. Just let the mods decide then, it's just a game.

pras

Why do we not share some spinoff ideas?

-Eulovision: Eurovision Covers by OM Area Artists.

-Siamese Twins: Each participant sends 2 different versions/covers/remixes of one song. The voters have to choose only one of the pairs when they vote. Of course they can ignore both.

-Miss congeniality/Genrocide: Each voter eliminates one entry in the first round. In the second round participants nominates others to eliminate but only half of them can get eliminated. It continues like that until only one nation stays.

-Türkvijn: Cause why not...

Orient Matsuri

On account of the Russian-Ukrainian war, no sanctions will be given to our current and upcoming Russian and Ukrainian participants in case they fail to send an entry or to vote.

This will also apply to any citizens having to face wars in their countries. We wish you nothing but safety.

Fierro

I was a part of Orient Matsuri team for nearly a year. But time has come to say 'good bye' to my mod status🤚

Unfortunately, I have a lot of stuff going in my life, partly because of reasons you all know, which makes me unable to perform mod functions anymore.

I just want to say thank you to all different mod members who I had a great opportunity to work with during this period: @SaladBreak, Deniz, @Ana Raquel @MiraShadowMan @SwedishFailurez 💕 I'll miss you in a way, but we are still here.

Sorry to leave you so suddenly, but hopefully you find a new worthy forum member to make it to mod team 🤗

Orient Matsuri

We have some big announcements to make!

You can as a Wild Card country in OM 40, you can send entries from all over the world. For more information and sharing your own opinions for eventual rule changes, you can chick here.

We are also going to celebrate the 2nd anniversary of OM in June. Please, share your options about what we can improve, change or keep for the upcoming anniversary in the celebration thread.

Rules changes in the “Entries” section rule no.2, you can read it here.

Orient Matsuri

Hey there!

As the past OM edition has faced issues regarding the hosting rules and how people within the community have interacted with each other. We have read your complaints and we will make several points below on how we should deal with these in the future.

1. Hosting guideline​

The hosting guideline PM sent to the winner will be more directly connected to the hosting rules with the addition of having every banner available at once if you choose to do banners for the show thread to make the host better prepared and to prevent the problems we faced in the previous edition.

Here's what we are going to change.

OLD

NEW

More specifically...

Every host has to communicate about the hosting plans + theme in both the schedule thread and hosting PM. We recently added this update in the green text which might be edited once again to be strictly connected to the hosting guideline.

The mod team will be stricter to make sure the OM editions from now on are going to be held smoothly and be sure to follow these rules below.

2. Every host will have to prepare a show with f.e. (but not limited to) banners that are linked with the song URLs and a results show. The hosts receive full creative freedom.
If you try to experiment/invent in your hosting, please state what you are going to do beforehand. Post your ideas on the schedule thread. The participant that somehow disagrees with your ideas has the right to skip the edition if they want to. (this part might be edited to be more specific).
3. One edition consists of the entry submission period (7 days) and the voting period (10 days).
5. The results show should be held in the following two days after the voting deadline.

We need to follow the hosting rules more precisely as not following those has now proven to have a negative effect on the contest.

We could also rewrite the hosting rules altogether depending on your feedback regarding this. Since we can discuss and have polls on if we agree with an added rule or not.

As this can be developed even further.

And please...

We do highly recommend you ask the mods for help when needed which also is stated in the rules.

6. The host can ask for help from the moderators and/or can choose a co-host to help them out.

Now next up...

2. Terms of Service

After the recent events that have happened in both the OM 41 threads and the eligibility of separatist states thread. We will remind everyone once again to follow the Terms of Service. Even if the forum rules weren't technically broken, bickering on each other's disagreement and attacking each other however did ruin the serenity of the contest.

This contest should be all about music. Discussions should be about music or contest-related topics without no one feeling attacked or having their participation rights violated.

Further fights like this will result in warnings being issued to those causing it.

Also, do not abuse the Terms of Service or any of the rules for your own gain. The mods will take this into account and judge upon that.

We take the Terms of Service very seriously, and we will take action to make the OM community less toxic and a more welcoming environment for everyone.

We are working together to make sure OM remains a platform everyone can share music and have fun while having a more clear structure to make OM work in the long run.

Take care everyone

Mod Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom