Contact us

Live EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2022 FINAL DISCUSSION

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Please use this thread to discuss rehearsals in general and also to follow along with all of the live shows in Turin.

Matt, Melanie and Roy from the ESC United team will be LIVE in Turin over the coming days, with yours truly joining them on the ground in the coming days.

Make sure to join Matt for the round up of Eurovision 2022 rehearsals from 10:00 CET, LIVE on Youtube. Links to all live streams are below;

DAY 1

DAY 2

DAY 3

DAY 4

DAY 5

DAY 6

DAY 7

For individual countries' reactions and interviews, please check out the specific country thread.

Make sure to also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch and our new TikTok account for all of the latest behind the scenes and reaction from Turin!

>>> Click HERE for the Eurovision 2022 rehearsal schedule <<<

Last edited:

ArmpitOfEurope

Choreo and staging are good as always, vocals not so much to be a contender, imo... But I think the second rehearsal will be better.

I think Spain will be a flop with the juries and that outfit will be mostly to blame

Mainshow

Veteran
I don´t think that Spain will flop with the juries - of course, they will not rank it very high but I can totally see her getting a lower Top 15 finish in the jury vote (which is quite good for a meaningless song, mediocre vocals) - I really like the entry, though - but honestly, the choreography lifts the entry to another level and I guess that it´s more appealing to televoters in the end.

crashworld

Veteran
Slovenian delegation explaining the original staging plan for their act this year.

The delegation had hoped that the ball would descend from the roof of the arena slowly spinning before ending in the middle of the stage.

In addition had been hoped that the kinetic sun and its associated lighting would light up the disco ball and as a result light up the entire arena. However due to the fact the kinetic sun will not move during any of the performance this is no longer possible.

Source:

Zeus

Big 5 stagings:

France: Looks good. The green and black colour pattern works on this stage, even with the light-side of the sun. I don't really get the rocks and all the girls moving around could be kinda distracting, but still, it's a good staging.

Italy: Classy, as expected. I like all the smoke. But at the same time, we already seen some ballads with dark stagings when Italy will perform in the GF. Would like a bit more silver/white, but maybe that's just me.

UK: I don't know. Don't want to be a partypooper, but on the pictures it's just a lonely guy, standing in that big silvery prop and a lot of lights. I hope there will be some special effects or something on screen. I guess we need to see this on camera to really be able to say something about it.

Spain: Nothing special. Just that big LED-screen and the dance routine. I guess it's not a performance for me, but yeah, for people who like this kind of songs, staging doesn't matter that much. Some dancing, shaking with your booty etc and they are like yeaaa yasss queen ohmygod!!

Germany: I like the instruments on stage, but he seems lonely, and it's pretty dark as well. Not a bad staging, but a bit depressing. And so will his final result be.

1. France
2. Italy
3. UK/Germany
5. Spain

Limone

Big 5 stagings:

France: Looks good. The green and black colour pattern works on this stage, even with the light-side of the sun. I don't really get the rocks and all the girls moving around could be kinda distracting, but still, it's a good staging.

Italy: Classy, as expected. I like all the smoke. But at the same time, we already seen some ballads with dark stagings when Italy will perform in the GF. Would like a bit more silver/white, but maybe that's just me.

UK: I don't know. Don't want to be a partypooper, but on the pictures it's just a lonely guy, standing in that big silvery prop and a lot of lights. I hope there will be some special effects or something on screen. I guess we need to see this on camera to really be able to say something about it.

Spain: Nothing special. Just that big LED-screen and the dance routine. I guess it's not a performance for me, but yeah, for people who like this kind of songs, staging doesn't matter that much. Some dancing, shaking with your booty etc and they are like yeaaa yasss queen ohmygod!!

Germany: I like the instruments on stage, but he seems lonely, and it's pretty dark as well. Not a bad staging, but a bit depressing. And so will his final result be.

1. France
2. Italy
3. UK/Germany
5. Spain
"Sorry Germany, 0 points" :D That's what you get, when you neglect public opinion (German fans etc) and refuse to give a chance to compete in national final for a band like Electric Callboy and song PUMP IT...

crashworld

Veteran
Germany's First Rehearsal Clip
https://www.tiktok.com/video/7094328280911809797
And that conclude the end of day 6 of rehearsal.

My general thoughts of the big 5 based of the pictures and TikTok clips:
  • France
    The black sun is an added advantage to their staging, due to the dark mysterious vibes they are going for. I hope the ESC performance will not be as messy and chaotic as the NF one. They need to nail their group dynamics well in order to look cohesive. Otherwise, looks pretty good!

• Italy
    I hope the glasses is just for rehearsals and not for the actual performance. We need to see the handsome face of Mahmood emoting. Other than that, there is nothing much to say from the pictures and clip. Looks like it's the most simplistic staging ever for this year's contest.

• Spain
    So Spain used the LED panel like Israel and Cyprus did. I am sure they are going to rely on floor LED too. Look likes the NF performance, which requires NO changes at all. She is basically ready to go at the get-go. Seems like they are toying with different stagings. There is a picture where the background is the light side of the kinetic sun. I am rooting for Spain out of the big 5.
    FSAlOauWUAEicHt

• United Kingdom
    We can always trust UK either giving us nothing for staging or giving all out for their staging. There is no middleground. It kind of looks good, very futuristic. But I feel if Sam is all alone, it will be much better, rather than having the band.

• Germany
    The staging sort of reminded me slightly of Germany 2012 but darker? I guess the staging is just very much true to Malik's artistry. Same as Italy, should be one of the simplest stagings this year.
Will look forward to tomorrow's rehearsals solely for my boyfriend Ochman.

Ajeje Brazorf

Slovenian delegation explaining the original staging plan for their act this year.

Source:

Sorry but did they really said "due to the fact the kinetic sun will not moving DURING any of the performance..."? Because, if so, there is actually no way their staging would have worked in any case! It was said the sun would have being static during the performance, led side or static lights... The arches in any case would have been turn only between two performances. If they had planned to turn the arches in during their performance they couldn't have done it in any case... 🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:

ESC_FAN

That may be because of the quality of the video, Chanel is perfect live:

ESC_FAN

Can you recommend me another one of her songs
I don't know, if you mean it ironically or not, however I will tell you that Chanel doesn't have any more songs, she is a nobel artist, despite her experience in musicals.

ag89

I liked Chanel's styling at Benidorm, everything worked there. But let's wait and see how this looks on screens. this Tiktok bullshit shows nothing.

midnightsun

Veteran
My résumé on the rehearsals yesterday:

Yesterday's rehearsals were quite weak I have to say. Unlike the day before I was rather negatively surprised. The only performances that stuck in my mind as good were Iceland, Norway and Serbia.
I love the flower dress in Iceland which stresses the 70's vibe of the song. The voices were louder and richer than in the NF so big improvement here. Norway & Serbia were solid like in their NFs.

Georgia, Italy, Spain, UK and France were ok but left me with no "wow" moment.

Flop of the day:

1. Azerbaijan.
This song is my #1 of all songs, together with Poland. Nadir is an incredible singer! Why did they choose a 2013 remake performance without the interesting glass cube and more lacklustre clothing? Very disappointed! The whole staging feels disconnected from the song and right now I can’t see this qualifying, unfortunately.

2. Armenia
White in white on beige in an asylum? God, no! This is probably the worst of all stagings. It leaves me with questions and I really dislike the visuals, starting with the walls of paper, her unflattering outfit and ending with the font of the words.

3. Malta
You simply can’t re-invent a Belgium 2016 performance for a mid tempo song like this. When she should stay there and clap, going around smiling, maybe hugging people, doing some uplifting stuff she‘s striking some cheerleader poses in a sparkling silver dress??? This feels so wrong in so many ways. Totally not matching the song.

4. San Marino
I can’t share the same enthusiasm for this performance. And to be honest I am really put off by his outfit. Everything on stage screams NO. It’s such a big mess.

5. Germany
I was hoping we would surprise anyone with something out of this world. Only to find out Malik's squeezed in between some very big old wooden instruments but drumming on an 80s plastic drum kit? It’s such a mess, nothing in it feels in the right place. Very disappointed.

———————————

My (performance) ranking so far:

1. The Netherlands

2. Norway

3. Latvia

4. Bulgaria

5. Greece

6. Iceland

7. Serbia

8. Lithuania

9. Switzerland

10. Israel