Contact us

Eurovision in North America

Quent91

I think this year's winner, Loreen from Sweden and her song Euphoria, could bring more fans to the contest and a wider recognition in the world, especially in North America (US and Canada). I also read on Wikipedia that the contest was broadcast on the US television (if someone can confirm this). Sunday, I saw the information on CNN. And when you see the statistics on YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfo-8z86x80, you can see that the video is watched a lot in Europe as well as in N.A. with the same popularity (I don't mention Australia because that's normal from them). Just compare those statistics to the ones from last year : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2yLykdjvA&feature=plcp... Pretty blatant.

And as Eurphoria is number 9 worldwide on iTunes, people can just be curious to know where it comes from, and they'll learn about our contest...

So maybe Eurovision has reached a popularity in America that won't go down next year ? Maybe they are going to broadcast it as Australia do and send commentators on-site ?

Mozz

It would be really cool if the USA would actually participate at Eurovision.

I'm sure it would cause an "Oh I'm in heaven, I'm in heaven now" experience for many of the US members on this forum (Matt, R3gg13, dezbee, sannerz) I assume :lol:

rajo

Well, we should wait for the polar shift first, so we know then if North America aligns with our time zone then or not. Otherwise it's useless :D

Sim

^^

i think we'll need to wait for that when our continents come together again in 1000000000 years:p

Quent91

I didn't say I want them to participate (of course, it would be amazing), but I was asking about how is Eurovision recognized over there and will it be improved by this year's winning song ?

Yamarus

I'd so love to see an Americavision.

California, 3 points.

LOL

Fluke

No, i don't think they should participate, i think it's good that it's being broadcasted there though. US fans have always been complaining about a lack of ways to view it, of course there are now streams that let you view it live online.... i THINK? :confused: Anyway, i think it's definitely a large enough event nowadays that the US media should cover it, wether the contest itself is broadcasted or not :p

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Obviously North America isn't in the broadcasting area of the EBU therefore not eligible. So it makes sense that there is little to no interest in the contest. I mean just think Italy, they sat out for 14 years and by now most younger people haven't even heard of the contest. Though it is my dream to introduce Eurovision to the music lovers over here and I have been contemplating starting a website or fanclub but wouldn't even know where to begin. But I think there may be a market here, I mean there are over 300 freakin' people in this country and that doesn't even include Canada and Mexico.

Franco

It would be really cool if the USA would actually participate at Eurovision.

Why not? That would surely grant UK some neighbourhood, at last. :)

Mozz

It would maybe be a nice idea to invite a non-EBU country to participate in Eurovision every year,
using a random draw among those non-EBU countries that want to participate.

Mozz

When you look at it this way, North-America and Europe are not so far away from each other. And the historical ties are strong and numerous.

arctic.gif

rajo

When you look at it this way, North-America and Europe are not so far away from each other. And the historical ties are strong and numerous.

Sure Northwestern Europe may be closer to North America than to Azerbaijan....

So we have to wait for the Pole shift, maybe we are in the same time zone then :)

FallenAngelII

Obviously North America isn't in the broadcasting area of the EBU therefore not eligible.
Apparently, Egypt is within that "broadcasting area". I don't think it's a question of whether or not the signal will reach the U.S., just that the U.S. isn't a member (yet).

doctormalisimo

I'd like to see a Rest of the World sort of thing. Where non-participating countries with large ESC fanbases (such as Australia) being given the opportunity to vote. I know time zones are an issue, but surely a die hard fan wouldnt mind being awake at 6am to watch it!

Mozz

Or they could use "flying ships" to visit Eurovision!

MyHeartIsYours

I have much more in common with the Americans and Canadians than I will ever do Azerbaijanis, for instance!
I think Eurovision should stay European, but 2-sets of douze points coming to the UK wouldnt hurt if Im honest! ;)

Yamarus

Are you guys serious?

rajo

I have much more in common with the Americans and Canadians than I will ever do Azerbaijanis, for instance!
I think Eurovision should stay European, but 2-sets of douze points coming to the UK wouldnt hurt if Im honest! ;)

Sure but we would have to cut the points by 75% because of the block voting ;)

Top Bottom