Contact us

Eurovision Confessions

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
hated by the fandom? I constantly see it in 'underrated' lists. I despise it though.
Yep. I see many people putting it at their bottom rankings of 2013/of bulgarian entries and many people straight up say that they hate it. Though I believe there are many people who find it underrated as well. Both of their entries, actually (but water is a case of entry that did well at the contest yet it is still forgotten/overlooked by many fans)

Looren

Veteran
I hated and still hate :bg: 2010 but there were even worse entries that year like UK (the ultimate horror). Serhat's 'Say nanana' also had a lazy chorus but it never aspired to be something it wasn't ... I mean its title is very honest.

I loved UK 2010 :lol:

I LOVE SAMO SHAMPIONI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still can't accept that it is massively hated by the fandom to this day. I prefer their first attempt (which is my 2nd favorite ESC song of all time), but it was fantastic. Should have qualified.

Love "Samo Shampioni" too xheart

Remisan

My biggest ESC guilty pleasure is 'I Love Belarus'.

And mine.
And Say Na Na Na :mrgreen:
(This song sounds like a grandfather sings karaoke at the dacha. But with all his heart and so pleased with himself, that it is impossible not to sing with him xrofl )

tomos2019

The thing for me is, I'm genuinely not embarassed to like I love Belarus, I think it's only right that if you do actually like a song then that should still be the most important factor as opposed to something like staging or performance and things like that!

Iker

Veteran
The thing for me is, I'm genuinely not embarassed to like I love Belarus, I think it's only right that if you do actually like a song then that should still be the most important factor as opposed to something like staging or performance and things like that!
The lyrics remain problematic though. 'I love Belarus ... got it deep inside' - lol.

The song is a classic guilty pleasure aka something I would rather not play in the vicinity of my pals or family.

Iker

Veteran
And mine.
And Say Na Na Na :mrgreen:
(This song sounds like a grandfather sings karaoke at the dacha. But with all his heart and so pleased with himself, that it is impossible not to sing with him xrofl )
I do hate 'Say Na Na Na' though, I find it lame! What about 'Beautiful Song' by Anmary? It is also a guilty pleasure of mine.

Remisan

I do hate 'Say Na Na Na' though, I find it lame! What about 'Beautiful Song' by Anmary? It is also a guilty pleasure of mine.
Haha, I knew that you hate Say Na Na Na))) For me Say Na Na Na is so bad, that even good. xcrazy

"Beautiful Song" sounds really good. I like it!

tomos2019

I suppose I'm rarely in the mood to play Eurovision to people anyway lol! As for Say Na Na Na though I actually found it a big improvement over I Didn't Know and thought I may have been initially harsh so make of that what you will!

Zonne147

Don't kill me for this (disclaimer: I kind of have an aversion for punk rock and rap-rock)

I don't understand how people call fresh to "Zitti e buoni".

:al: 2013: a melodic folk-rock song that might have been cheesy and (I disagree with the following statement but I'm just trying to see both sides) Adrian & Bledar might not have been that charismatic (like what everyone claims about Damiano David) and I often see people saying it is bad because it's repetitive, cheesy, and dated (doesn't :it: 2021 fit very well in this category as well??).

In 2016, we've had some pop-rock songs that were kind of ignored by everyone back then, finishing in the bottom 10 in the final and (the most shocking thing to me) :ge: 2016 was always seen as a non-qualifier, it was always one of the least favorites in the community and at the end, it got to the final thanks to juries. Well, at least that one had some modern/electro elements and they gave us a great stage show.

And in 2021, we now have a punk rock song (a genre that has been dead for ~20 years) and a lot of people call it quality, winner, fresh, innovative, and they are bringing something new to the contest, and I'm like :oops: and I have a weird feeling that it will indeed fight for the trophy :lol:

Iker

Veteran
Don't kill me for this (disclaimer: I kind of have an aversion for punk rock and rap-rock)

I don't understand how people call fresh to "Zitti e buoni".

:al: 2013: a melodic folk-rock song that might have been cheesy and (I disagree with the following statement but I'm just trying to see both sides) Adrian & Bledar might not have been that charismatic (like what everyone claims about Damiano David) and I often see people saying it is bad because it's repetitive, cheesy, and dated (doesn't :it: 2021 fit very well in this category as well??).

In 2016, we've had some pop-rock songs that were kind of ignored by everyone back then, finishing in the bottom 10 in the final and (the most shocking thing to me) :ge: 2016 was always seen as a non-qualifier, it was always one of the least favorites in the community and at the end, it got to the final thanks to juries. Well, at least that one had some modern/electro elements and they gave us a great stage show.

And in 2021, we now have a punk rock song (a genre that has been dead for ~20 years) and a lot of people call it quality, winner, fresh, innovative, and they are bringing something new to the contest, and I'm like :oops: and I have a weird feeling that it will indeed fight for the trophy :lol:
:it: is neither cheesy or dated, and neither is a punk rock. It is not innovative, but hardly anything is.

Zeus

Zonne147

:it: is neither cheesy or dated, and neither is a punk rock. It is not innovative, but hardly anything is.

You are right when it comes to innovation, My personal favorites are everything but innovative and original :lol:

I don't really give a damn about subgenres outside of my comfort zone, but I personally hear some punk-ish elements to me. I personally don't know/care if it's dated or not, the thing that makes me think - what am I missing? - is the fact that some people use the word "dated" as a reason to hate rock songs and now I suddenly see everyone loving this one.

But honestly sometimes it's hard for me to understand the hype around "Zitti e buoni", there are entries that are not my cup of tea (like Russia, Lithuania and Finland) but I can quite of understand why they are liked but sadly that doesn't happen with Italy.

For me it just sounds like a bland rock entry but (once again) I'm not the right person to talk about that. But I know there are definitely good things about this act, the lyrics' of their songs are all great (I actually like some of their indie stuff)

Remisan

I know what a "hated genre" is, I also have genres that I simply cannot listen to, genres in which I cannot distinguish songs from each other, and voices that hurt my ears. But if people found something in this, it doesn't matter if I understand it or not.

it would be weird to be angry that you just don't like a song that I like. Nobody will eat you because of your tastes (well, I hope there are no cannibals on the forum xrofl)
But I cannot agree with the definitions. Cheesy? Seriously? :lol:
I'm an old rock fan, but at Eurovision only Mor ve Otesi and Maneskin got into my playlist for a long time.

Is music of Zitte e buoni innovative? No. In rock music as such, nothing new has appeared for a long time. But it is good and recognizable music. And the vocals, the manner of singing the verses clearly stand out. Alas, some people turn off the video at the moment when the cockroach appears. But in this moment the best part of their song begins (Parla la gente purtroppo Parla non sa di che cosa parla) Have I heard a similar sound, a similar rhythm? Definitely not.

In fact, my first reaction to Maneskin was also "too fast, this is not exactly the rock that I like", but after listening to the song two or three times I got used to his manner, listened and I really liked xheart ... I read the translation of the song and the message in it is exactly what I was missing. In recent years, so much irritation has accumulated due to human stupidity and attempts to bend everyone to the same standards that I want to kick the door down and shout this "Sono fuori di testa ma diverso da loro" :mrgreen:

Then I listened to their other songs and love them all. And if at first I liked indie compositions and ballads more, now I even more often listen to songs from subgenres which I didn't like much before. xshrug When you understand what and with what feelings it was said, you also understand the choice of the form (more sharp, aggressive, fast, so that words hit like a blow in the stomach or a slap in the face)

I do not feel negative about Albania 2013, but it is too flat in emotions. It is pleasant, melodic, but not memorable. You shouldn't underestimate the charisma.
Georgia 2016 is good old rock, a bit similar in spirit to the Russian rock of my youth. Finland 2021 is a rock like Linkin Park, mid-2000s. I like both of them, my top-5, but as a groups they are less interesting to me, they have good songs, but they do not sound as interesting and new to me as Vent'anni or La pauro del buio. xshrugManeskin didn't invent a new genre or something, but they obviously experimented with the sound, with genres, their songs sound unusual for me.

Last edited:

Zonne147

I know what a "hated genre" is, I also have genres that I simply cannot listen to, genres in which I cannot distinguish songs from each other, and voices that hurt my ears. But if people found something in this, it doesn't matter if I understand it or not.

it would be weird to be angry that you just don't like a song that I like. Nobody will eat you because of your tastes (well, I hope there are no cannibals on the forum xrofl)
But I cannot agree with the definitions. Cheesy? Seriously? :lol:
I'm an old rock fan, but at Eurovision only Mor ve Otesi and Maneskin got into my playlist for a long time.

Is music of Zitte e buoni innovative? No. In rock music as such, nothing new has appeared for a long time. But the vocals, the manner of singing the verses clearly stand out. Alas, some people turn off the video at the moment when the cockroach appears. But in this moment the best part of their song begins (Parla la gente purtroppo Parla non sa di che cosa parla) Have I heard a similar sound, a similar rhythm? Definitely not.

In fact, my first reaction to Maneskin was also "too fast, this is not exactly the rock that I like", but after listening to the song two or three times I got used to his manner, listened and I really liked xheart ... I read the translation of the song and the message in it is exactly what I was missing. In recent years, so much irritation has accumulated due to human stupidity and attempts to bend everyone to the same standards that I want to kick the door down and shout this "Sono fuori di testa ma diverso da loro" :mrgreen:

Then I listened to their other songs and love them all. And if at first I liked indie compositions and ballads more, now I even more often listen to songs from subgenres which I didn't like much before. xshrug When you understand what and with what feelings it was said, you also understand the choice of the form (more sharp, aggressive, fast, so that words hit like a blow in the stomach or a slap in the face)

I do not feel negative about Albania 2013, but it is too flat in emotions. It is pleasant, melodic, but not memorable. You shouldn't underestimate the charisma.
Georgia 2016 is good old rock, a bit similar in spirit to the Russian rock of my youth. Finland 2021 is a rock like Linkin Park, mid-2000s. I like both of them, my top-5, but as a groups they are less interesting to me, they have good songs, but they do not sound as interesting and new to me as Vent'anni or La pauro del buio. xshrugManeskin didn't invent a new genre or something, but they obviously experimented with the sound, with genres, their songs sound unusual for me.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :D

I just wanted to understand why does the same fandom that think Zitti e buoni is so good and fresh sees other rock entries in a very negative way. I didn't make it clear, I didn't mean it is cheesy and dated, it's more like I couldn't understand how can the same fans that say rock is "dated", also say Zitti e buoni is fresh and out of this world.

There are more appealing and less appealing entries in every genre and since I'm not into this specific genre it gets difficult to judge which songs is better or worse and that is probably my case here. And well it's all about connection as you said, that's why I have some ballads in my top 15 and others in my bottom places. That's why I'm moved by France and find Spain boring.

I think "Torna a casa" is a masterpiece xlove

Last edited:

Remisan

I think "Torna a casa" is a masterpiece xlove
:love: I agree.

I think you might also like Coraline...

I just wanted to understand why does the same fandom that think Zitti e buoni is so good and fresh sees other rock entries in a very negative way.
I don't know. I am incompetent, and in all songs I hear the voice much better than the music. xrofl But if I was asked to determine by the manner of singing which song is the oldest, I would call Albania 2013. It's intuitive.
By the way, my memory failed me. I think I was wrong when I compared Georgia2016 to Russian rock, rather resembles some American group, but I can't remember exactly

That's why I'm moved by France and find Spain boring.
Same here. xcheers And I don't like his voice (although Blas is undoubtedly a strong vocalist, just not my cup of tea)

Last edited:

burrito

By the way, my memory failed me. I think I was wrong when I compared Georgia2016 to Russian rock, rather resembles some American group, but I can't remember exactly
I'd say it has a certain British taste to it, I can't pinpoint why, it just kind of sounds like it was made by some top British indie rock band of 2009

I just wanted to understand why does the same fandom that think Zitti e buoni is so good and fresh sees other rock entries in a very negative way. I didn't make it clear, I didn't mean it is cheesy and dated, it's more like I couldn't understand how can the same fans that say rock is "dated", also say Zitti e buoni is fresh and out of this world.

Magic of comparison maybe? It's kind of like Finland 2006. No way everyone in 2006 was a hard-rock/metal fan out of sudden, I guess it was so outstanding that people liked it for the sake of being different. It's similar with Italy this year. I don't say that it isn't a great song (it is, fresh or not) but I'm thinking that it will appeal to many because it doesn't blend in.

Top Bottom