Contact us

EUROVISION 2023 - General Discussion thread

Looren

Veteran
Last year was already amazing for me and I feel like I like this one as much, or maybe a bit less but really amazing year for my taste

Also the diversity and variety is amazing this year

midnightsun

Veteran
This year turned out not too bad in the end. But it doesn’t have the same quality like 2019-2022. These years were outstanding so far. 2023 falls a bit flat compared to them. It will definitely be not my favourite year because many songs are mediocre and the big epic glitter and boom factor is missing. Most songs are a bit lacklustre in that regard. But it’s a good year, nonetheless. It’s also definitely not my least favourite year. So, yes, I‘m looking forward to May. Actually, the thing I‘m most happy about this year is my country - of all things.
I‘m looking forward to cheering for LOTL!

MAD20

Now that all songs are out, I think this year is not weak at all. The key issue I see here is the semis are a bit unbalanced, meaning good enough songs from Semi 1 will stay there and some not so good songs will advance from Semi 2.

There are just a few songs I strongly hate, but most of them are pleasant to listen and some others I completely adore.

Looking forward to May already!

shameless

This year turned out not too bad in the end. But it doesn’t have the same quality like 2019-2022. These years were outstanding so far. 2023 falls a bit flat compared to them. It will definitely be not my favourite year because many songs are mediocre and the big epic glitter and boom factor is missing. Most songs are a bit lacklustre in that regard. But it’s a good year, nonetheless. It’s also definitely not my least favourite year. So, yes, I‘m looking forward to May. Actually, the thing I‘m most happy about this year is my country - of all things.
I‘m looking forward to cheering for LOTL!
Yes, rooting for the lackluster german entry is quite telling about the quality this year. There's not one song that I completely enjoy whereas in the last year there have mostly been several. I don't know but it seems like everyone was running out of ideas and the geniality was used too much the last years. To me, only Käärija is the one that I an see as having the X-Factor.

vavera4ka

I don't think it's necessarily a much worse year. Actually, when i looked at what countries sent last year i have more ticks to the 23 side, that 22. I guess those I liked the most in 22 were just brighter and more memorable...
But here are the ones i liked better in 22:
:ua::no::se::ro::ge::es::am::uk::pl::il::nl::ee::ie::is::be::lt::pt:
And at least half of these are not necessarily bad this year, I just prefer last year, that's all. (Some are, I'm looking at you Portugal, you went from my #1 in 22 to last in 23 lol)
And the ones I prefer this year are:
:lv::cz::fi::at::au::it::md::hr::gr::az::ch::sl::rs::cy::mt::de::al::sm::dk:
SM didn't improve by much lol, but it's easy to be better than last year. Yulia Samoylova would be better for SM than last year lmao

The only one I can't make a decision is France. I love last year's song, even though the live was atrocious... and this year is so different, it's hard for me to compare... My preference changes on my mood, what i listened right before, if my cat is on my lap or yelling at me to feed him... it's just not a firm decision one way or another lol
so depending on that it's 17(or 18) to 2022 vs 19 (or 20) to 2023....

not the worst year by a long shot.

yuki_vamp.esc

For me most of those people who thinks this year is weak compared to last year(ballad year) was because majority of the entries were rock / band. Most of the time I think someone who loves ballads wouldn't like the rock / band genres and to think that most entries sent early were in that demographic makes them think it's a bad year when it's not. :censored: Whoever disagree tell me otherwise

rock entries:
:sl::lv::ro::au::sm::de::az:

bands:
:ie::cz::hr::mt:

Last edited:

AlienSoul

I did a quiz today on which 10 songs I'd pick to qualify for Semi-Final 1. Many people are saying that SF1 is a bloodbath, but I was struggling to find 5 songs that I liked, let alone 10. Most of my favourites are in Semi-Final 2 and the Big Five+Host.

empo21

Veteran
I did a quiz today on which 10 songs I'd pick to qualify for Semi-Final 1. Many people are saying that SF1 is a bloodbath, but I was struggling to find 5 songs that I liked, let alone 10. Most of my favourites are in Semi-Final 2 and the Big Five+Host.

I agree. Semi 1 might be stronger than semi 2, but it's no where near being a bloodbath like people keep saying.

Ezio

Veteran
Semi 1 is a bloodbath of terrible songs

HarryUK

I do wonder how long it’ll be before the host broadcaster decides who’s in what semi final - in order to prevent unwatchable semi finals

FilipFromSweden

I do wonder how long it’ll be before the host broadcaster decides who’s in what semi final - in order to prevent unwatchable semi finals
I don’t think it’s that bad lol

yuki_vamp.esc

disagree but somewhat agree. In a way that I also can't fill my top 10 faves in this semi but the potential of all the entries are up there. Like they could easily overtake one another by a little mistake like perhaps the staging thus the bloodbath. I don't know you but I'm bewildered by how you think it's not a bloodbath, I mean compared to semi-2 this semi have no clear NQ at least for me.

edit: can you even imagine one of your favorites in your semi 2 be overtaken a spot by san marino entry because of shock staging or performance? if you're answer is no then ....

like I could even see that ireland with impactful staging will overtake the spot of czechia if the performance is giving the same energy in their NF.

last point: to be fair I have 3 sure qualifiers in the 1st semi, the nordic trio (despite I only like finland) that being said 12 countries with strong potentials fighting for 7 spots is a bit of a bloodbath for me

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
The only good thing about Semi 1 is that I don’t care about the faves (FI, SE, NO etc.) so I can help some of the underdogs there qualifying with my votes since we get to vote in Semi 1.

simori95

Will there be another Classic Elimination Game this year, now that we know all the songs?

Btw a little fun fact: this year we might summon the devil while playing, if my math is correct, there will be 666 „saves“ xcrazy

If I have missed anything and that issue was already discussed, I hereby apologize for not paying attention

Mainshow

Veteran
:me: just announced that they will take part in semi 1 and this is their entry!!:

Podgorica2024!

Mainshow

Veteran
Ya know, I believed the first sentence

Then saw the video you linked

And realised

He was born in Montenegro! EBU should make this happen, pls!
16 participants each semi final would be so much "fairer" as well! :D

Looren

Veteran
He was born in Montenegro! EBU should make this happen, pls!
16 participants each semi final would be so much "fairer" as well! :D

Yeah okay but remember Sven, it's ENISA who was actually supposed to represent Montenegro before they withdrew :lol:

Savo will have to wait :lol:

Top Bottom