Contact us

EUROVISION 2021 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

ESC94

I agree
I think 2020 is the year to financially help e.g. Slovakia & Bosnia for once and make sure they can enter.
Also just allow Kazachstan & Kosovo, like for f*cks sake...

Well, :sk: isn´t coming back because of the very low public interest for Eurovision and not because of financial issues.

Mimmon

Veteran
Yeah, I don't think the line-up will stay the same. I don't expect any withdrawals but I could definitely imagine a :me: or a :hu: returning.
I can see Hungary defently returning...

LastDreamer

Banned
Just launch online voting and give a ESC 2021 wild cards for top 5 (maybe top 10) 2020 acts with the most votes.
Please, don't ruin 2021 contest and national season too for somebody who dislike the current line-up like me.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned

Sammy

Veteran
Yeah, I don't think the line-up will stay the same. I don't expect any withdrawals but I could definitely imagine a :me: or a :hu: returning.
With the current political situation in :hu: - no way! If you heard the news, Orban is currently erecting a full dictatorship.
Following the economic aftermath of the corona crisis, financially weak countries will definitely not return as for example Bosnia and also Montenegro. They will have to solve far more important issues than the ESC. I think it will be more likely that other countries will not be able to afford ESC 2021 and will withdraw, which will even be harsher for their artists that could have been in Rotterdam this year - a lifetime chance gone...

Loindici

Veteran
Can we just boycott the entire Nordic block next year?

SERIOUSLY.

MalagaToledo

Banned
It's so weird. Will you guys also be bored by the fact that even though we already have 10 confirmed acts out of 40, we won't be able to hear the songs untill February/March of 2021 cause they all love to wait till the last moment.

Exception is Albania because we will hear their song in December.

Some of them like Russia I believe released their song after official deadline.

Even though the official deadline was made clear, some of the countries revamped and changed their songs after the official deadline. Like czechia which after public release changed several times their version of the song.

Is this bizzare only to me or im not the only one??

Ezio

Veteran
I don't expect ESC 2021 to be great neither. Maybe the hosts, the interval acts and stuff, but the songs will be all about perseverance after loss, insincere sadness wrapped around a generic piece of plastic. The best songwriter Boris Milanov is already discouraged, and some countries might struggle to participate after an economic disaster. And after all, we don't know for sure that the virus is gone by then.

MalagaToledo

Banned
I don't expect ESC 2021 to be great neither.

Maybe the hosts, the interval acts and stuff, but the songs will be all about perseverance after loss, insincere sadness wrapped around a generic piece of plastic.

The best songwriter Boris Milanov is already discouraged, and some countries might struggle to participate after an economic disaster. And after all, we don't know for sure that the virus is gone by then.
Yeah, the best Eurovision years were from 2004 to 2009 (2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 especially).

The hosts, interval acts is something that isnt occupying my attention. I wanna see results before midnight. Also Dutch hosts struggles with English.

I don't expect any country to withdraw. Im sure 41 is the number for 2021 as well.

Loindici

Veteran

Loindici

Veteran
Some fans over Wiwi said this could be the start of the death of Eurovision because of the economic impact Corona has done on the world.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: It's also related to the now-estimated 32.95M euro total budget of the show, already including the extra 6.7 Rotterdam requested.

anto475

Some fans over Wiwi said this could be the start of the death of Eurovision because of the economic impact Corona has done on the world.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: It's also related to the now-estimated 32.95M euro total budget of the show, already including the extra 6.7 Rotterdam requested.
Absolute and utter nonsense

EscUKFan

Something like Eurovision would be the perfect thing in an economic crisis. A large TV event with loads of participating broadcasters, thousands of attendees and millions of euros put into a country’s tourism. It’s the perfect event to get the economy running again.

anto475

Something like Eurovision would be the perfect thing in an economic crisis. A large TV event with loads of participating broadcasters, thousands of attendees and millions of euros put into a country’s tourism. It’s the perfect event to get the economy running again.
As much as I love the contest and think it's such a brilliant thing, the eurovision is definitely not the kind of thing that would get an economy running again during a crisis, it wouldn't even make a dent.

EscUKFan

As much as I love the contest and think it's such a brilliant thing, the eurovision is definitely not the kind of thing that would get an economy running again during a crisis, it wouldn't even make a dent.
I didn’t word it too well but I meant the tourism sector of an economy, not necessarily a country’s economy itself. The sector is going to see huge losses with it being unlikely mass travel will be back running as normal by the summer, so thousands of fans/delegations heading to another country and spending plenty will certainly be a good thing in the long run. Eg. a struggling hotel in Rotterdam on its last legs getting booked by a number of delegations for a two week period etc.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Rotterdam's mayor said that if they end up hosting Eurovision in 2021, they expect an additional 6.7 Million Euros to be spent on the event. There is going to be a council vote on the 24th of April to see if hosting will be an option so more to come on that.

There are so many other uncertainties here as we don't know what the world will look like in one year and if big open events like Eurovision are feasible at that point in time. But I sure hope so.

Loindici

Veteran
I still feel Eurovision 2021 MUST be commenced. Artists returning -- disappointing them twice is too much of a risk, TBH.

Plus, it's not only fans that got an impact on the cancellation. NPO, Rotterdam, Ahoy, Wieder Designs, the lighting comps, props comps, the LED comp, stage builders, and well... basically a lot.

Top Bottom