Contact us

Eurovision 2016 - Your Résumé

GermanBango

"Flames to dust, lovers to friends, why do all good things come to an end?"

Eurovision 2016 is over, PED is about to kick in! Now it's time to take a step back and to think about all that stuff that happend throughout those intense two weeks. What where your highlights? What didn't you like that much? What made you cry, laugh or rage? What long lasting memories did you make? Share your thoughts!

Jacketh

Aside from Ukraine, Petra and Mans will define this contest for me I think. Fantastic in the Semi Finals and the Final. It'll probably be "the year we got our first A list performer at the interval", as well. As well as our new voting system.

So despite how much criticism Sweden have received over them things, I'd say they've left a long lasting impact on ESC this year. We've got a new voting system which everyone seems to love now, and, it seems as though the "half time show" will become a regular thing.

It was a very contemporary pop year - who knows if that'll continue onto next year? I would have liked more variety though, and a bit more wacky/camp. I'm all for quality songs... but I need my camp/wacky songs as well. :D

There wasn't much I disliked really. I would have liked to at least heard the 10's with the 12's, instead of just the 12's.

Both of them were just fantastic together.

EDIT: Oh, and how can I forget the start of the Semi Finals?

Perfect way to introduce.

Gordon_Shumway

What I liked
- Jamala won the contest. I am happy with that because no other ESC song from the past touched me emotionally in the way that "1944" did.
- Russia did not win after all. So "buying" the victory failed this time. Soul and substance won over gimmicks and cheesyness.
- Austria and Belgium doing well. Both entries have developed very nicely since the beginning of the rehearsals, good job! And Zoe from Austria will stay my personal winner from 2016.

What surprised me
- The new voting system worked way better than I had expected. I still have some suggestions for improvement but it didn't ruin my ESC evening as I had feared.
- Altogether the jury results were much more balanced and "diverse" than I had expected. Not every "traditional neighbour connection" was reflected in the jury votes.
- Big differences between jury and televote results for some countries: Poland (7 vs 222), Malta (137 vs 16), Israel (124 vs 11), UK (54 vs 8), Czech Republic (41 vs 0)

The overrated
- Australia (good song, but not that good to earn such a high jury vote)
- Sweden (5th place? for this? that was more mumbling than singing, if this were sent by another country, it wouldn't even have qualified for the final, I am sure)
- Poland (not bad, but 3rd in televote?? completely unexplainable)
- Lithuania (why was this so successful and many similar entries failed, like Ireland or Denmark; dated boyband crap from 1990's imho)

The underrated
- Norway failing in the semifinal, but Georgia and Lithuania moving on? hard to accept
- Italy (16th place? Francesca deserves better, the song was growing on me all the time)
- Spain (22nd place, way too low; song was fresh, performance was good; I suppose it would have ranked higher if it was not a big 5 song)
- Croatia (23rd place, was a top 10 candidate in many many predictions and polls; Nina is a fine artist, she deserves better!)
- Czech Republic (zero points in televote, 25th place overall? that shocked me most of all; Gabriela made not a single mistake in all those weeks, delivered one remarkable performance after another; why was she not rewarded? the song was at least as good as "Million Voices" from last year)

The unavoidable
My own country Germany finishing last; with the new voting system, Ann-Sophie would have gotten 29 points last year (instead of zero), now we have 11; all the critics were right about saying the song is flat, unremarkable, forgettable. On the other hand, Jamie-Lee did nothing wrong, she made the best out of the situation under the given circumstances. We Germans have lots of work ahead of us to get rid of the loser image that we aquired over the last years.

All just my humble opinion.
Every kind of feedback and criticism is very welcome!

EscGeek

Veteran

midnightsun

Veteran
Tops:
- The Hosts! Definitely did a VERY good job.
- The new voting system: exciting to the maximum

Flops:
- The staging. It was not my cup of tea. I didn't like the screens, the lights, the cameras and all that stuff.
- The postcards. Totally boring.

My personal flop: Ukraine winning. Worst winner ever for me. But I respect the descision. Europe has voted. Kinda political votes so I'm mad the hard working artits who tried to entertain people (Russia, France etc) were robbed. But anyway, that's just my personal view.

Salmon

What I liked
- Jamala won the contest. I am happy with that because no other ESC song from the past touched me emotionally in the way that "1944" did.
- Russia did not win after all. So "buying" the victory failed this time. Soul and substance won over gimmicks and cheesyness.

Yeah, that’s exactly how I’d summarise this year too. (:

hungo

what i liked:
the hosts - did their job really well
new voting system - voting never has been that exciting before (except 1988)
the stage - first i did not like it, but in the final remained some acts that had real cool staging, but i liked copenhagen and vienna more

what i did not like:
i liked the theme music in copenhagen and vienna, in stockholm that was weak
the openings of all shows were quite poor and actually exactly the same concept as in 2013 (winner song with childrens choir, presentation of participants with avicii music), the openings in vienna were much more exciting
justin timberlake performing - i just dont understand why an american act as interval act, esc makes itself smaller than it is, sweden has enough popstars
the postcards were really boring

in total that esc was ok but will not remain as a highlight, i still watch parts of esc in malmö, copenhagen and vienna (esp. opening), i dont think that will be the same with stockholm

Sammy

Veteran
xyaayxcheer
- the new voting system. I was skeptical in the beginning, but it really created a lot of suspense at many moments and rebuilt it, when we thought everything was already clear.
- the hosts! Professional, funny, self ironic without appearing fake. I was especially surprised my Mans. (I mean I knew that Petra is great, but he did far better, than I expected)
- the musical shows in the semi-final and in the final (what eurovision was and how to win). That was sooooo funny
- Linda Woodrof! I know, one should not bring too much of a joke, but this was a good final act (I suppose this was the last time we saw her)
- the stage! So many ways to use it. Was really entertaining.

xshock
Germany again being dead last in the final. I had hoped at least top 20 for our neighbors. It might not have been the strongerst song, but there were worse ones. But it proves, standing out visually is not a guarantee for a good result.

xlove
Zoe! You did a great job!

xslap
Juries! How could you rate Zoe that low! (of course I'm not objective here :mrgreen:)
Justin Timberlake - I didn't need him to be there

x0s
The postcards were very boring and there was no clear idea to be seen behind them.

GlamSIMorous

Top:
- The stage was absolutely incredible, great LED's, awesome performances (except Albania actually) and very nice crisp quality. Loved it! :D
- The voting procedure was the best ever, super exciting. They better keep it.
- Very high quality songs. People might miss the diversity but I enjoyed this year a lot and my famiyl slowly begins to say that Eurovision is not anymore crap. :lol:
- Awesome presenters, Petra and Mans are simply professional.
- Amazing designs, from fonts to transitions etc. As a mediamanagement student, I pay attention to that a lot and I loved what I saw! :eek:

Ok:
- The winner was not what I expected, maybe .. I dont know. I wanted Australia. Damn it :lol:

Flop:
- I didnt like what they've done on the YouTube channel this year. Too much promotion for several countries whereas others didnt get any. As well, who on earth does their thumbnails? God, they are SOOOOOO bad! And yeah, wasn't so convinced with the offer on there to be honest.
- Didn't like the Red Carpet ceremony this year. Too much chaos on there.

All in all a great year with an unexpected winner. What bothers me the most now though are the huge amounts of dislikes that are on YouTube. I dont know why but it bothers the heck out of me. :oops: This year was so great but it leaves a bitter taste for me.

ScarlettGirl

Thank you Sweden for a funny interval act with all eurovision-cliches on a plate! There was loads of laughs in my living room :lol:

ZoboCamel

So we're finally done for another year! That was a ride. So many thoughts and opinions to summarise, but I'll only give my main ones or I'll be here until next NF season starts.

Firstly - Jamala won! A unique, heartfelt ethnic entry rose up as an underdog to barely take first place, breaking all kinds of records and trends. It's the kind of music I love, and I'm hoping it'll inspire some great stuff next year (though I do give my condolences to those who weren't a fan. I get that it's very much a divisive song).

The voting was... better than I'd expected the new system to be, really. The new method of combining jury and televote let my favourite take the win, which was nice, plus it also rewarded some other controversial entries (most notably Poland), which I'm always happy with regardless of my personal views on the song. It wasn't perfect - I'd have preferred it if they'd kept the reveal of the 8s and 10s, and perhaps if they'd swapped the ways of revealing the jury and televote - but it certainly made for some of the most dramatic voting since I started watching the contest. Hats off to Sweden, I'll admit that they made it work better than I thought they could have. I wouldn't mind extending the trial of the new system for another year!

I still have no idea how to feel about how things went down - I was sitting there in my loungeroom, watching three great songs battle it out, each of which I loved for different reasons. In a way I'd have absolutely loved to see Dami get the win, take home the medal for some patriotic joy, give us the chaotic spectacle of seeing how we'd try to host... but it wasn't to be, I suppose. I was never going to get both the patriotic win and the 'best song' win, and I'm entirely happy with only getting the latter.

The stage ended up being average, I think - and I mean that in the literal sense, not 'it was boring'. Better than some, worse than others. A slight shame, considering how amazing it looked in the initial promo pictures, but combined with stage direction it did its job - we got plenty of spectacular stage acts, and I like that countries were putting a lot more effort into staging for this year. Sure, there was a bit of an obsession with projections and the colour blue, but we also had some really cool props, screen effects and dance routines, so I think the end result came out ahead of last year's tree-fest. If nothing else, it was an improvement on Sweden's last stage from 2013!

The non-stage parts of the hosting were great - probably the best I've seen since I started watching in 2007. The hosts were both fantastic, they played off each other well, and the jokes in their scripts were actually pretty good for once. For once I actually loved the majority of interval acts - despite the rather forgettable and out-of-place Justin Timberlake cameo, pretty much everything else was great and memorable, with 'Love Love Peace Peace' being a particular highlight of mine. It's certainly a step above the usual level of '20 minute drum solo, advertisements for tourism in the host country, and a local rapper you've never heard of'.

My only big negatives were, perhaps, the relative glut of same-ish mainstream pop, and the fact that a lot of my favourites (Hungary, Latvia, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Belarus, Iceland) ended up far lower on the scoreboard than I'd have liked them to. You can't win 'em all, though, and I think having my big underdog favourite take the win, with my own country second, negates any other complaints I could have had about the scoring and songs.

A pretty good year overall, I'd say. Bring on Ukraine 2017!

A-lister

Veteran
Well, I'll keep it short.

Stage-wise and visuals it was THE best ESC to date, great production xclap

The hosts were good, but Petra was better back in 2013 though... Måns was ok as a side-kick host. Petra is still the best ESC hostess to date though xclap

The entries though is an issue on its own since this was the weakest ESC in many years :(

The new voting system is good, I like it in fact and hope it'll be kept, but they should still announce the top. 3 in the first part and each points given in the second part, it wouldn't last much longer but would keep up the suspense a bit more and a bit fairer treatment of the entries aswell.

The juries were blatantly pushing western countries and safe pop in English (except for a couple of exceptions) as they always did and in particular it's ugly the special treatment Australia gets, when in fact they shouldn't even be in the contest after what EBU "promised" in 2015... oh well it was expected but it was so blatantly made though...

The middle acts were so-so, the fact that SVT was allowed to push the pro-"refugee"-agenda was a breach of EBU rules and quite disturbing, atleast the dancing was good and it wasn't TOO pushy but still... Justin Timberlake was a complete waste of time imo... didn't fit.

All in all I hope for a stronger year next year as far as music goes, but as far as show goes 2016 was visually the best so far...

Swedenvision

First of all congratulations to Ukraine, it was not my favorite to be honest, i liked Australia but at the same time i think the victory was well deserved.

As for the whole ESC 2016 i must say SVT and Stockholm did amazing, i´m very impressed and proud. To be honest i think this 3 shows have been the best ever.
Petra and Måns was really good, the interval acts was amazing and funny, and the new voting was exciting.

We (Sweden) also in the end came in 5th place which is very good and our good record in ESC continues. :)

Good luck to Ukraine next year to organize, but it will be very hard to top this. ;)

aef

Do we already have a full voting grid somewhere?

EDIT: I just found it!

Jasi

I loved loved loved Sweden as a host. The openings and intervals acts were simply amazing. (Love Love Peace Peaaace. Nothing but absolute perfection xheart)

Songwise... Not my favourite year. We had sooo many decent songs, but not as much "Woooow I love it"-songs as last year, in my opinion.
And the songs have been of such a high quality. I miss the joke entries we had some years ago. I support shows like San Marino and Belarus this year :lol: Those were the only "fun" entries this year. And sadly both of them got eliminated.
It's pure entertainment. But in the final... everything was genuinely good? (ok of course not every song, but you know what I mean)

The results... First of all my favourite got eliminated in semifinal 1. In the final my favourites have been Russia, The Netherlands, Armenia and Austria. In this order.
And aaaahhh, I am so sick of the juries. For the second year in a row the public had a song in first place, I'd have loved to see winning. And both times the juries totally ruined it. I'd be fine with Ukraine winning, if it was the public favourite as well. But it's just not fair that 5 people have the same right as a whole nation. Sorry, I really don't think this is fair at all...

All in all: I had a great time during NF-season, and Sweden did a great job with hosting, but it wasn't my favourite year songwise, and I really really want to get rid off the juries (or at least reduce their power to 25% or something).

Johnn

Definitely a good year in terms of songs and NFs, probably my favourite of the last 3. The issue this year was the results, they were simply dreadful and so many songs deserved so much more whilst so many songs deserved A LOT less. Otherwise, Sweden were good hosts apart from the changes made, whilst the new system makes voting more exciting on the night, watching it back now loses any buzz; and we got a little lucky that the results were so split which lead to the increased tension. I preferred the old system so much more as it slowly revealed the winner (like with Conchita) as they began to trail away from the rest and become revealed, rather than an all in one boom here's the winner. Petra and Mans were great hosts, especially Petra, but I don't like how scripted the events were, it didn't come across as genuine.

Most overrated songs:
Belgium - This did not deserve to win the selection, not to mention get 10th in the final. She stole a place from a more deserving country.
Poland - I was expecting this to do well considering all the love it was getting, but coming 3rd in the televote surprised me a lot.
Lithuania - It was surprising to see this do so much better than the songs that were surrounding it, I was expecting it to be forgotten, shouldn't have beat the 2012 effort at least.
Sweden - Dreadful song, dreadful performer, I don't get how anyone can like this.

Most underrated songs:
Serbia - Lost as to what the juries missed in this song, it was perfect.
Estonia - Last in the semifinal is such an awful result for this, it did not deserve this placing at all given it was the only good song Estonia had to offer.
FYR Macedonia - Juries killed off this song, deserved to qualify over Belgium.
Norway - I'm surprised this failed to qualify given Norway's success over the past few years (and given the fact Tooji qualified).

Overall, I've decided juries need to go or have their power reduced. Last year they were good apart from Czech Republic, but this year they've really pulled down entries that should've done really well. Under this new system, if an entry does REALLY well with the juries, like Malta or Belgium, a low televote result will still give that country a high result overall, and vice versa with Poland. The system more or less cancels out any changes to entries that do undeservingly well with one side or the other, and so will favour jury-hypes, like Malta and Sweden, aswell as televote-hypes, like Poland, Lithuania and Russia. Honestly, the previous 2013-2015 system was the best way at combatting this, but I guess Ukraine wont bother changing it.

aef

The ex-yugo-block really disappointed me last night! :lol: At least the jury results were extraordinary, with one country giving none or only a few points to the other ones...

CaspianMortis

Overall presentation:9
Hosts:8
Comedy:7
Songs:6
Final result:0
Notes:
+Lynda Woodruff
+Petra Mede
+Nice graphics
+Nice background music
-Diaspora voting
-Bad new voting system
-Poland qualified
-Iceland didn't qualify
-Hungary got screwed and deserved so much more
-Dami Im and Australia didn't win
-Annoying national commentators
-Not enough Lynda Woodruff

Conclusion: A gigantic fiasco of legendary sillyness. Australia should have won. Songs like Germany, Croatia and Hungary got screwed and deserved so much more. And the diaspora voting which ruins everything tops the cake.

Meaning: Unless I get over this rubbish, I won't watch next year

Brandt

I watch the contest nonstop since 2009 and 2016 gave me the least joy ever since. I think it is because of both songs & my mood.

- Almost none of my favourites made it to final and furthermore my n1 ended up last in semi
- The song I supported in final was only because of their stage performance, and around 20th songs I wanted the song presentation part to be over already
- There are not much of songs I felt in love with passion
- Too many politics in the contest and I'm sick of it
- My general mood

But Sweden hosted amazing unlike 2013. After songs, all those interval act stuffs (excluding Justin T.) were better than first 26 songs themselves. I wouldn't mind if they will be host once again.

Top Bottom