Contact us

EuroBasket 2011, Lithuania

Interrail

137px-EuroBasket_2011_logo.jpg
EuroBasket 2011 will be the 37th regional championship held by FIBA Europe. The competition will be hosted by Lithuania.
The top two teams are guaranteed spots at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
There will be 24 teams in the tournament, Lithuania automatically received a place as the hosts, and two more qualifiers will be decided in an additional qualifying tournament scheduled for August 2011.

Group Draw
The draw was held today, divided the qualified teams into four groups of six, groups A, B, C, and D. +2 additional qualifiers.
--------------------------------------------------
So, here we go:

GROUP A
:es: Spain
:tr: Turkey
:uk: United Kingdom
:pl: Poland
:lt: Lithuania
:?: - Qualifier
---------------

GROUP B
:rs: Serbia
:fr: France
:de: Germany
:il: Israel
:it: Italy
:lv: Latvia
---------------

GROUP C
:gr: Greece
:hr: Croatia
:me: Montenegro
:mk: Macedonia
:ba: Bosnia & Herzegovina
:?: - Qualifier
---------------

GROUP D
:sl: Slovenia
:ru: Russia
:be: Belgium
:ge: Georgia
:bg: Bulgaria
:ua: Ukraine
---------------

Here we can discuss everything related to EuroBasket 2011. Feel free to write your opinions, favorites, predictions, expectations, comment the draw, everything related to subject and under the board rules;)
So, c-ya in Lithuania later this year!
:lt:
xjump​

No Name

Wow, group C is quite a Balcan-group. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I've always enjoyed playing and watching basketball and remains one of my favourite sports so I will keep an eye on this tournament. Unfortunately basketball isn't that big here so it will probably be through some crappy internet-stream. :/

I believe Spain, Lithuania, Serbia, Greece, and maybe Russia are gonna grab the trophy. In the end it might be Lithuania. They have home advantage and they have some class players with careers in NBA.

Interrail

As about me - I'm really excited and looking forward to it, cause I love basketball, it's like a national sport:lol:
I'm glad Serbia avoided Spain, Greece, Turkey and Slovenia in group stage. But obviously if we want a direct qualification for the Olympics (and/or a medal) we'll have to meet some of those teams in later stages.
Hopefully we'll be able to get some medal in this EuroBasket (bronze, silver, gold, I don't care), I think we have good chance, we're defending silver medal (won in last EuroBasket 2009), after all. Also there is high possibility we'll have Dusan Ivkovic as a coach which would be just great!xcrossed

About draw - I'm happy with Serbia's draw, I think it's very OK for us.
And group C is so funny and crazy...it can be easily called 'EX-YU' group:lol:
I think it's amazing that all 6 EX-YU qualified for the EuroBasket 2011, lol.
And equally amazing - not even 1 Nordic team!:? (at least for now)
Group A is toughest IMO - Spain, Lithuania, Turkey:shock: Poor other guys in their group...

No Name

And equally amazing - not even 1 Nordic team!:? (at least for now)

I wouldn't say it's that surprising. The Nordic countries have no basket-culture at all and can't at any rate be compared to the Balcan-area and the likes of. We only play handball and icehockey up here. :mrgreen:

Interrail

I wouldn't say it's that surprising. The Nordic countries have no basket-culture at all and can't at any rate be compared to the Balcan-area and the likes of. We only play handball and icehockey up here. :mrgreen:

Yeah...but nowdays there r no such strict boundaries for 'national sports' and such thing. See..countries like Georgia, Macedonia, Belgium...in EuroBasket...I'm sure it's just matter of time when Scandinavia will appear. Maybe even these 2 teams to qualify will come from Denmark, Sweden, etc. Who knows.
And even ice hockey becomes more and more popular everywhere, even in Balkan, now we have 5 teams (Serbia) and although we're far far far from being good, it doesn't matter. It's important to take part, u must start with somewhere;) I hope Scandinavian teams will qualify for Basketball!;)

goktengri

Banned
I think our matches with spain and lithuania will be very hard, but uk and poland are not so strong for us imo. Hope we'll do well :)

aletem

I'm happy with our group. :D :D We are better than Bosnia and probably better than Montenegro. With Croatia we are even, they were kinda lucky 2 years ago. Now it is time for revenge. :twisted: Greece is definitely the favourite and from our guys I expect a solid and motivating representation. As far as the 6th qualifier, I don't care. :mrgreen:
I think Group B is the hardest with Serbia, France, Germany and Italy all in one group. :shock: And group A looks very tough. D seems the easiest. I think we can do better than our 10th place on the last Euro. :)

Isabella

:lol: :lol: Group C :shock:

I won't watch this for sure, because it drives me crazy seeing our sucky team :lol:
So yes aletem, Macedonia can win ;)

Milos-BC

I am pretty satisfied with the outcome of the draw for :rs: I think :fr: will be our biggest rival, and :de: is dangerous as well, they defeated us on the world cup (but we didn't have the main play maker - Milos Teodosic, and center - Nenad Krstic). :it: is not what it used to be, I think it will be fairly easy with the. :lv: and :il: are obviously weaker than us, but we shouldn't underestimate them. All in all, should be exciting :D

Last edited:

Scooby

:pt: :hu: and :fi: will play an Additional Qualifying Round for the last two places in the EuroBasket 2011.

:rs: has very strong opponents in Group B and for sure derby match will be against :fr: (and winner will probably be first in our group). I expect a tough fight for passage in the second round between the remaining 4 teams.

I believe that :uk: or :pl: can surprise in Group A! We'll see what the :tr: team is capable to do without the help of judges!

:gr: :me: and :hr: are the absolute favorites in Group C
Group D is definitely the weakest in the whole tournament

Scooby

No we can forget that :lol:
And I'm not envious or malicious, it is reality :D

VictoriaLT

Yes, baby. Lithuanian basketball this year! :D Can't wait to get tickets (I hope I'll get them because everybody is talking there are much more less tickets than people who want to buy them so I hope I'll be that lucky person who will get them). It's great that Lithuania's chance finally came for such a big event. Excited about upcoming summer. ^^ Oh, and about group A there Lithuania is. I think I should become a clairvoyant in the future. :D My dad asked me about what I think wich teams will be in the same group as Lithuania last Sunday before the draw and I said: "Well, at first Spain. That's for sure. Both countries always are in same group (:D). I think Poland and Turkey will be with us too. But I'm not sure about other teams. Maybe United Kingdom or Ukraine... "And yes, there is a United Kingdom. :D I think it's going to be physically hard for Lithuanians to play with those teams but I'm sure it will be much more easier in psyhological way because the championship will be in their home-country. :)

Top Bottom