Euro 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauve

Veteran
Yessssssssss!

ShoeFlo

What a terrible, terrible day

Sad especially for Forsberg, one of the best players of this tournament. He should have scored 1, 2 more goals. The post was his big enemy tonight. Unlucky night for Sweden. They would have challenged England a bit more than Ukraine could.

And so there are only Italy and Denmark left of my favorites

JamieBrown

My prediction
Wales vs Denmark: Penalty shoot-out *
Italy vs Austria: 3-0
Netherlands vs Czechia: 4-1
Belgium vs Portugal: 2-0
Croatia vs Spain: Penalty shoot-out *
France vs Switzerland: 2-1
England vs Germany: Dunno the winner, but it will score 4 goals and it's opponent will score 2 or 3 goals also
Sweden vs Ukraine: Penalty shoot-out *

* A beer for everyone who can predict me the winner of these shoot-outs, I could flip a coin to make a decision, but why...

Football knowledge: 0/8 xyes

ekzuu

Wowzie, what a game! I was kinda waiting for penalties but then Dovbyk in his 3rd! national team game managed to kick in goal of his life. Good playing from both sides, they deserved each other, it was pretty much equal, but in the end Ukraine was more sharper. Ukraine is a good team, but they just need to get into the game, like they did today. England may be happy, but they shouldn't underestimate, Ukraine is quite unpredictable so it might be a challenge. They also got emotional boost and confidence from this game for sure!

ShoeFlo

Fun fact: Three 3rd ranked teams of the group stage made it to the quarter final... there are also only three group winners who made it.

So we can conclude the group results aren't that meaningful after all.

Predictions for the quarter final:

Switzerland vs Spain --> Spain.
Spain is gonna win. Switzerland will be tired from their incredible match against France. It's not like Spain didn't have an incredible match either, but it was a tad more relaxed for them in the exta trime as they had an early lead. Spain will win this by two goals

Belgium vs Italy --> Italy.
They will take the lead right in the beginning of the second half. Belgium will attack rashly and concede a second goal by an Italian counter attack. In the end Belgium will get one back and some excitement comes up but Italy will confidently protect the lead until the final whistle

Czech Republic vs Denmark --> Denmark.
My Penalty Shoot-out contender! It will be 2:2 after extra time, both teams will lead once. In the penalty shoot-out Denmark will win (no idea why, it's just my wish I guess)

England vs Ukraine --> England.
Boring match. England will take the lead after 20th minute and overall control the match. They might extend their lead in the second half, no idea.

Sweden proposed their usual compact team but with some offensive variants that surprised me: Kulusevski, Forsberg and Isak. Ukraine, on the other hand, what I thought before the kick-off, would they have taken advantage of the previous defeats suffered by the Netherlands and Austria?

The game begins with the usual score: Sweden in their half and Ukraine trying to make play and take advantage of the few counter-attacks offered by Sweden when trying to attack the Ukrainian area. Then ... Zincenko's sudden goal! I rejoiced because Sweden should finally have started to attack. What I saw below shocked me ... when Sweden attacks, even if it lacks a little fluidity, it attacks well! Ekdal was precise in his passages, Kulusevski and Isak tried to make good insertions and Forsberg ... he is the talent of Sweden. In fact, the Swedish attack shortly thereafter would have finalized with Forberg (also thanks to a rebound by the Ukrainian defender who displaces his goalkeeper). The game from now on has two directions:

-) Until the end of the 90 minutes it was so boring that I thought several times about cutting the veins in my wrists. I also wanted to use a non-edged knife to be more cruel to myself.

-) In the extra time ... the game turns into a battle. it seems to witness the clash between the Vikings and the army of Ivan "The Terrible". Hard blows, various injuries and even an expulsion!

The game ends with a mockery for the Swedes who suffer goals within seconds of the penalty kicks! I must say that this Euro 2020 is not without surprises.

Tonight I saw a more compact Ukraine in defense (even if a goal has always granted), combative, patient and razor sharp. I was speculating this afternoon that Sweden would be the worst opponent for England but first ...

Let's analyze English football, its qualities are:

-) Physical prowess of the defenders (of the miners who hit hard)
-) Solidity between midfield and defense
-) Run and intensity
-) Fast verticalizations
-) Head shot
-) When Beckham was there also free kicks

His weaknesses are:

-) Poor propensity to score (this is why the phrase "English victory" was coined - the most common results are 1-0, 2-1 or 2-0)
-) Little mobility in the strait (only improved with the entry of Grealish)
-) Extreme suffering at the tactics

If Sheva and Tassotti manage to reinforce the defense game and work out excellent tactics, they can be even more lethal than they were tonight. It is possible that Ukraine's "counterattack game" could be a winning weapon if resting on solid foundations. Sweden would probably have been too wait-and-see and would have clashed with a game almost similar to hers in terms of solidity and physical prowess.

Forward Ukraine! Continue your dream! Come to Rome and win the semifinal!

@ElinaUA: I hope this time you like my words :lol:

AlekS

Veteran
:nl: and :at: be like:
ce551b4e-49f5-4c3f-994d-814f52996384_text.gif

5-1.jpg

hikb958.gif
Jokes aside, I was totally expecting such game from :se: I hope everything is ok with Besedin.

Edit: The wife of the Russian FC Spartak owner has just delivered THE most epic dig at her husband: "Ukraine's got prettier girls, more skillful players and the coaching staff".
T7WSGKm.png

I'm super sceptic about our next game against :en: but I'm still cheering hard.

Edit #2: The biggest ESC publics & OGAE actively watched the game.

Last edited:
Football knowledge: 0/8 xyes
These are my predictions:

Wales - Denmark = Denmark win (YES)
Italy - Austria = Italy victory (YES)
Netherlands - Czech Republic = Netherlands win (NO) *
Belgium - Portugal = Belgium win (YES)
Croatia - Spain = Croatia win (NO) *
France - Switzerland = victory France (NO)
England - Germany = Germany win (NO) *
Sweden - Ukraine = Sweden win (NO) *

* The asterics:

-) I imagined that the Netherlands would lose but only in the quarterfinals (their defensive gaps were obvious).

-) I imagined Spain would win but romantically I bet on Croatia. I thought the slightly more solid and incisive game of the Croats could put Spain in difficulty. It is sad to think that if Vrsaljko had been included and used a defensive approach in the extra time ... maybe Croatia would have reached the penalty kicks.

-) I knew that England would make life difficult for Germany. Germany in 2020 is an almost lost team. Too many uncertainties in defense, too much confusion in attack. I still believed in the German mentality but this was not enough to stop England (also due to a huge mistake by Muller).

-) I wrote days ago that if Ukraine had strengthened the tactical and defensive side it could have bothered Sweden a lot. I did not believe in this miracle and I indicated the victory of Sweden. Glad I was wrong.

The score achieved, without the excuses of the asterisks, is: 3/8. But ... I can say that I almost got it right which teams would go to extra time and penalty kicks.

I think the winner of the round of 16 is ... MAUVE! xbow

My predictions for the quarter-finals xpolice:

Belgium - Italy = Italy
Ukraine - England = Ukraine (I want to believe it!)
Spain - Switzerland = Spain
Denmark - Czech Republic = Denmark

Looren

Veteran
YES CONGRATS UKRAINE !

Well I got a 4/8 in my guesses for the round of 16 so I guess it's okay :lol:

Predictions for the quarter-finals :

Belgium - Italy : Will be tight but I think Belgium will win 1 - 0
Spain - Switzerland : Switzerland
Ukraine - England : England
Denmark - Czech Republic : Denmark

Ekholmia

Belgium - Italy = Italy
Ukraine - England = Ukraine (I want to believe it!)

I think it will be:

Belgium - Italy = Belgium
Ukraine - England = England
Denmark - Czech Republic = Czech Republic

And I hope England or Belgium takes it all.

mauve

Veteran
I think the winner of the round of 16 is ... MAUVE! xbow
I guessed 6 from 8 right. :D Just messed up with Germany and France actually. Actually digested Germany's defeat better than I thought, maybe I just knew that the team has its weaknesses and that I didn't agree with the tactics and the players that Löw brought. And ... I have the hope that Flick might bring changes in the future.

Predictions for the quarter finals:

Belgium - Italy = Belgium
Ukraine - England = England
Spain - Switzerland = Switzerland

Yes, once again my gut feeling tells me that Italy won't make it unfortunately. I hope I am wrong.
I also hope that Ukraine will make it, but I think it will be England winning.
No matter how tired Switzerland is after the long match, I think they will win over Spain.
And Denmark will take this. I love both teams, so I will be happy no matter who wins.

I hope we will see some exciting matches! xcheer

Milos-BC

Unfortinately, because :rs: played basketball against the Dominican Republic in the qualifications for the Olympic Games, I missed most of :ua: - :se:e , so can't comment much. I will watch it on rerun.

But looking at the highlights, I think everyone expected the match to look like this. Congratulations :ua: . Personally, I think :en: will have a much harder job in the quarter-finals than many people believe. :ua: is a team that can beat everyone and I expect an exciting match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom