12 4.5%

10 3.8%

17 6.4%

3 1.1%

29 10.9%

• Total voters

laululind

Re: ESTONIA 2018

Well, Estonian televoters often love their safe and cliched songs. :rolleyes: So I'm guessing Stig will do pretty well. Hope it's not too schmaltzy, and his vocals have improved.

We still don't even know if there will be a superfinal this year! La Forza sounds like something juries might rank down, based on description. :confused: But maybe it's more 'classy' than it seems, if they're playing it straight. If the superfinal is still there, it won't matter anyway.

eerik

Metsakutsu will release his entry on Friday.

koplifornia.jpg

Alaska49

so i was perusing the list of contestants thinking "hmm how interesting that stig is the only big returnee" and THEN

16. «Täna otsuseid ei tee», esitaja: Marju Länik, muusika: Liina Saar, Herman Gardarfve, Axel Ehnström, sõnad: Marju Länik, Liina Saar, Herman Gardarfve, Axel Ehnström

THIS IS PARADISE OSKAR

LIKE *MY* #1 EUROVISION CRUSH PARADISE OSKAR

HE IS ALIVE MY PARADISE OSKAR IS ALIVE

bIMzw3D.gif

and marju lanik is an old fierce-looking lady and the thought of paradise oskar composing a song for such a person is infinitely fascinating to me. i NEED this song yesterday. i hope it's amazing.

FilipFromSweden

Paradise Oskar - the Eurovision winner who still hasn't recieved his victory

eerik

We still don't even know if there will be a superfinal this year! La Forza sounds like something juries might rank down, based on description. :confused: But maybe it's more 'classy' than it seems, if they're playing it straight. If the superfinal is still there, it won't matter anyway.

I think you misunderstood my description. It is "classy", dramatic, vocal showcase. It is not a light novelty entry like the Swedish and Romanian songs were. The more I think about it, the more I see it as the winner. But that's just my initial impression...

PS! It was announced yesterday that Elina will use a "westernised" version of her surname, Nechayeva instead of Netšajeva, I guess she's already thinking two steps ahead.

wtf

I think you misunderstood my description. It is "classy", dramatic, vocal showcase. It is not a light novelty entry like the Swedish and Romanian songs were. The more I think about it, the more I see it as the winner. But that's just my initial impression...

PS! It was announced yesterday that Elina will use a "westernised" version of her surname, Nechayeva instead of Netšajeva, I guess she's already thinking two steps ahead.

I'm so excited for the song now. I always assumed it to be an ultimate cheesefest, but I'm glad if it's the other way around. The idea is cool. This way, it could actually be a serious contender in Lisbon.

laululind

Yeah, from the initial info after it was chosen, it sounded like some sort of an oddball entry, a la Croatia last year. Not necessarily a 'joke' as such, but some weird mishmash of genres, which juries generally don't much like. I'm glad to hear it's not overly cheesy tho'. I had a feeling it could do pretty well even as a 'funny' entry, but if juries can get behind it as well, it might be in the running to win.

Out of curiosity tho', what genre would you really call it? It's not a straight ballad, is it? From some articles I read, I think Elina herself called it a mix of opera and electronic music. But in another article, some juror was talking about a song which mixed opera and country music? :confused: Which I'm guessing is the same song, how many half-opera songs could there have been. :lol:

I guess this year, we could be sending Stig again.. or Elina again. :mrgreen: Just not the same Elina. Wonder who else will be a possible contender!

eerik

Out of curiosity tho', what genre would you really call it? It's not a straight ballad, is it? From some articles I read, I think Elina herself called it a mix of opera and electronic music. But in another article, some juror was talking about a song which mixed opera and country music? :confused: Which I'm guessing is the same song, how many half-opera songs could there have been. :lol:

I don't know, dramatic opera aria with modern beat and bassline? Elina's description fits well I think. I've also heard/read the comments Siim Nestor made in Muusikanõukogu, and "La forza" definitely isn't a mix of country and opera. He must be mixing up something. The only country song as far as I can tell is Marju Länik's, and that has nothing to do with opera.

laululind

I don't know, dramatic opera aria with modern beat and bassline? Elina's description fits well I think. I've also heard/read the comments Siim Nestor made in Muusikanõukogu, and "La forza" definitely isn't a mix of country and opera. He must be mixing up something. The only country song as far as I can tell is Marju Länik's, and that has nothing to do with opera.

Mmkay, thanks! :) Glad to hear it's not some weird country-opera mix, electro-opera sounds like a better combination. Who knows what Nestor was talking about. Well, after hearing 250+ songs, I guess it's understandable you might mix something up.

So in the end, would you say the overall quality is better than last year? Or just about the same, just with more variety? I didn't think last year was too horrible, but many of the songs were pretty samey & generic.

eerik

So in the end, would you say the overall quality is better than last year? Or just about the same, just with more variety? I didn't think last year was too horrible, but many of the songs were pretty samey & generic.

At the moment I would say it is better, or at least much more acceptable. Almost no directionless Eesti Laulu Akadeemia products, no foreign songwriters that have no previous connection with the performers of the songs. Definitely much more varied selection.

eerik

The songs are not public yet. ERR will publish them next Monday and Tuesday (semifinal 1 and 2 respectively).

I should correct myself as I just noticed the songs will be published a day later than I thought: on Tuesday and Wednesday.

eerik

Uh, I must also add that my previous comments/descriptions were apparently based on mostly demo/unfinished versions of the songs. "La forza" in its final form sounds very different, less intensive, the electronic/modern aspect has been scaled back, probably better for live performance.

laululind

Hope the new version isn't (much) worse than the old one. Sometimes the more tooled up 'final' versions end up sounding bland and toothless. :rolleyes: All the fun edges get sanded off, leaving it more polished but less interesting.

Of the 7 songs published so far, I quite like 4 (Misty, Külm, Young, Knock Knock), and the other 3 aren't terrible either. If the rest keep this up, it could be a pretty decent year for me.
Giving the jurors more time to listen to the entries was probably a good idea! Especially if the amount of songs keeps growing. Trying to get through them all in a few days would have been murder. I usually start tuning out after hearing 10+ new songs in a row. :lol: I can't imagine having much brain power left after 100. I hope they keep this system in the future, especially if it pays off. Only downside is it will let in more songs that take several listens to work, which might not be great in ESC context.

blein

What about the juries? They always hate opera ... :(
anyways, great song and WHAT A VOICE :eek:

sometimes an exception must happen. if she will nail it... she can win eesti laul and mby top 10 eurovision.

Top Bottom