• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
estonia_640.png

Estonia 2018 news:

Estonia: Get ready for Eesti Laul 2018

eerik

Re: ESTONIA 2018

Can't wait to see what terrible changes Mart Normet has planned for next year!

randajad

Veteran

I would not minde seeing another Jüri Pootsmann victory with a song he would have on his album, like Silmades or Aga siis. xheat

eerik

What changes are you referring to, something to Eesti Laul?

You know, like the stuff he did to Eesti Laul this year: allowing foreign songwriters, increasing the number of foreign jury members, adding an additional round of voting to semi-finals that served no purpose other than raking in more televoting money, attempting to make it look bigger and more important than it actually is, emphasising the importance of ESC for Eesti Laul in general, etc. Eesti Laul 2017 was Eesti Laul in name only.

estonia

I think we should actually get fully international jury.

eerik

Yeah, why not make being a foreigner mandatory?! Estonians should be banned all together.Those filthy peasants!!!

eerik

Uhh, they're advertising it as Eesti Laul's 10th birthday, when it really isn't. It's the 10th edition, yes, but the inaugural Eesti Laul 2009 wasn't it's 1st birthday. Oh well, close enough...

ellie

They've already revealed the shape of the stage for 2018:

IMG_0895.jpg

Fluke

Anything that's not a bitter divorce duet would be a good idea....

henhu

I hope we sent something different next year... Like "Have You Now" or "Seis".

eerik

Nah, it will be a contestant that's on a popular talent/game show this fall, with another turd specifically fabricated for ESC.

On a positive note, ERR recently got a new chairman an council, maybe they'll get rid of Mart Normet.

popavapeur

I really want Kerli to come back because she deserves it : she has a unique "brand" and with all recent failures what Estonia has to loose more ? I'd rather send a song more constructed than Spirit Animal though, like a real good Kerli Song. It's her chance to try something different for Estonia

Kairit

Mart Normet recently expressed how Portugal's win shows that the route we took with our entry wasn't right. "It gave us a clear sign that to force something in the direction of Eurovision, the same route that we cut off with Eesti Laul's arrival, is not needed anymore. We're still doing Eesti Laul. "Verona" was the most Eurovision-y song we have ever had to send to Eurovision. Dear people, let's not focus too much on Eurovision, but rather on what we have here that's beautiful, important and cool"... Now I agree w/ this completely, but it's still hypocritical coming from him after the most commercial pop-centered Melfest-ified Eesti Laul final we have ever had. Granted, he clearly never exactly endorsed Verona, was salty about it and tried to stop it winning from the start, so there's nothing new here. I think his problem was w/ how old-fashioned it was whilst he seems to think that as modern as possible is always the best way to go (it isn't). But it's also clear that there's nothing else to expect from the Estonian public (who would never go for someone like Mick Pedaja sadly) as ultimately we mostly do end up opting for the most popular artist w/ the most accessible song. But I do sincerely hope Portugal's win did open some eyes and perhaps we'll have more Estonian entries and a lot more originality in the next edition. This statement should indicate that he at least gets the original concept of Eesti Laul lmao, but it's kind of derailed in the meanwhile, especially with the foreign writers allowance. In the end, let's hope for the best...

In terms of Eurovision, the staging still seems to mess a lot of things up for us. They really need to realise that maybe spending 0 euros on staging, then failing and blaming everything on the Eurovision team or literally anything or anyone else isn't the way to go. I really sincerely dislike our delegation as their egos seem to be super high. I still can't forget that 2015 mess when they tried to manipulate the team there to pay more time and attention to us since we were the favourites. xthink

GianlucaTomoe

Banned

Estonia should go back to their roots and sending something like their 2013 entry again.

eerik

^^ I saw that Mart Normet interview and I have to agree, the guy is a fucking hypocrite. He's been hard at work destroying what Eesti Laul was when Heidy Purga started it, and is trying to replace it with some freak ESC-Melodifestivalen hybrid. In 2009, mentioning Eurovision was a taboo, the prize was "a holiday in Moscow", interval acts and jurors were all from Estonia etc. It got looser as time went on but in the last two years it's been only Eurovision this, Eurovision that. Let's have foreign ESC participants as interval acts, let's put them in the jury, let's get rid of local songwriters, let's have suits from EBU as honorary guests, etc. And now that he has failed miserably, he puting the blame on people who voted for an "Eurovisiony" song to win. Damn fool...

Top Bottom