17 6.4%

3 1.1%

29 10.9%

• Total voters

EXECHope

Re: ESTONIA 2018

Here are my two tops for SF1 and SF2 :

•SF1 :
1) Elena Netsayeva - "La Forza" : by far my favorite in this national selection. 10/10
2) Etnopatsy - "Külm" : A nice folk song. Have the merit to be a break from your usual routine. [COLOR="#0008000"]7/10[/COLOR]
3) Stig Rästa - "Home" 6/10
4) Desiree - "On My Mind" 6/10
5) Aden Ray - "Everybody's dressed" 6/10
6) Sybil Vane - "Thousand Words" 5,5/10
7) Vajé - "Laura (Walk With Me)" 5/10
8) Iris & Agoh - "Drop That Boogie" 4,5/10
9) Miljardid - "Pseudoprobleem" 4/10
10) Tiiu X Okym X Semy – “Naita Oma Energiat” 3/10

•SF2 :
1) Eliis Pärna & Gerli Padar – “Sky” 7/10
2) Marju Länik – “Täna Otsuseid Ei Tee” 6,5/10
3) Girls In Pearls – “Spellbound” 6/10
4) Indrek Ventmann - "Tempel" 6/10
5) Karl Kristjan & Karl Killing Ft. Wateva – “Young” 5/10
6) Frankie Animal - "(Can't Keep Calling) Misty" 4,5/10
7) Rolf Roosalu - "Show A Little Love" 4/10
8) Evestus - "Welcome To My World" 3/10
9) Nikka - "Knock Knock" 3/10
10) Metsakutsu - "Koplifornia" 2/10

SF2 is just a mess. Even the outdated song of Marju Länik figures as a favorite with "Sky".

SF1 is better. "La Forza" is a magnificent entry and could do very well in ESC. It remembers me some songs of the japanese musical unit Love Solfege. Here are some samples :

It has been 3 years that I was hoping for a song like that.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

Thank you for your votes. The results are in, here is the official ranking of the ESC United members:

Realest

The only Right Winner. No surprise at all.

Kaz

This is an extremely weak NF imo. Some only stand outs for me are:

Iiris & Agoh - Drop That Boogie - Would probably come last in the semi at ESC but it's a fun lil bop. Kinda expected bigger things from Iiris though.
Elina Netsajeva - La Forza - The only song here that really stands a chance of making top 10. Really depends on live performance.
Stig Rasta - Home - Pleasant, but the lyric "watch a bit of G.O.T." absolutely kills me.
Desiree - On My Mind - Radio-friendly and well produced but unoriginal and repetitive. She also looks like my sister, which is weird.
Frankie Animal - Can't Keep Calling Misty - Nice, easy listening, but doesn't really go anywhere at all and is definitely going to be boring live.

Sorry Estonia. Maybe next year.

pavarotti

You have to hope the Estonian EL viewers and voters have some sense and vote La Forza for the win. The concern would be Stig's big profile which might allow him to win. The EL fans voted for that terrible Juri song 2 years ago purely cos Stig was the writer & we have seen a lot of poor choices at EL over the years.

tuorem

You have to hope the Estonian EL viewers and voters have some sense and vote La Forza for the win. The concern would be Stig's big profile which might allow him to win. The EL fans voted for that terrible Juri song 2 years ago purely cos Stig was the writer & we have seen a lot of poor choices at EL over the years.

Elina kind of flopped with "In Or Out" last year though... So I don't think Stig is necessarily a threat or something: he may do well, yes, but it remains to be seen whether it'll be enough to take the trophy.

laululind

I don't think Play won only because Stig wrote it. If anything, it won because Jüri was singing it. :rolleyes: But how many people really care that much about the songwriter? "This song really sucks and I hate it, but hey, Stig wrote it!" *vote vote vote* :lol: Maybe there are a few people like that, but definitely not enough to make a song win. And considering Stig's last year's song flopped, I don't think his 'fame' is enough to carry him through. I do expect Home to do well tho'.. there aren't many strong pop songs this year so he'll get some votes by default. Whether that will be enough to defeat Elina will depend on the live shows & juries.

I've no idea who will round out the top 5 this year. Going to guess Stig, Elina and Vaje will be 3 of them.. but the other two? Etnopatsy? Karl & Karl? Something pushed up by juries? :confused: I guess we'll see soon enough.

kamc

Vajé are the only winners here for me.
Their song needs a little tweaking though as it just kind of ends too anti-climatically, but it has a lovely vibe to it.

laululind

That's kind of a problem with many Eesti Laul entries this year. Pleasant enough to listen to while they last, but lacking that punch or wow-effect it takes to really stand out. Not many peaks and valleys, they just trot along at a steady pace and then randomly stop. :rolleyes: Maybe live on stage some of them will stand out more.

Vaje is nice, altho' I didn't find it very instant. Took me a few listens to start liking it.

EXECHope

No surprises for me in the ESC United top. "La Forza" could clearly be one of the favorites this year. I got two friends of mine (not eurofans) to listen to the song and they were really amazed. I'm not scared for the live performance. Here is Elina performing the "Queen of Night Aria" from The Magic Flute of Mozart.

laululind

Stig's song is absolutely unremarkable... I think it will flop even on Eesti Laul

Hmm.. I'd be surprised it it completely flopped. Maybe placing third or fourth rather than top 2, but I can't see it not making the final or placing bottom 3 or something. It seems to be liked among Estonians much more than In Or Out ever was, so unless he shows up dressed like Elina Born last year... :lol: I think he's a pretty sure bet for top 5 at least. Time will tell I guess.

wtf

I think most people are underestimating the juries about Elina's song. Even Estonian professionals can always appreciate great ass vocals. Remember how Birgit got all the high points from these hipsters in 2013? And Ott in 2012?

I can defo see them bringing down Vaje and Stig before Elina tbh.

Also, I think the new system without superfinal makes it easier for Elina, not harder, because Estonian televoters can often be surprisingly unpredictable.

laululind

Predicting Eesti Laul juries is almost impossible anyway. Birgit is a good example, being second to last with semi juries and second with final juries. :lol: Maybe we'd have some idea if we knew who was in the jury, but since we don't.. it's anyone's guess.

If it happens to be a very hipster jury this year, I could see them rating both Elina and Stig down. They'd probably try to push up the likes of Miljardid, Nika, Iiris & Agoh, Frankie Animal, Girls in Pearls. I hope they won't be too 'edgy' and slap all the favourites with 1s and 2s, just because.

Wonder who Normet is stanning for this year. :rolleyes: It would be rather ironic if juries killed his favourite now. Last year, televote flops Kerli -> increase jury power -> jury flops Elina/Stig/whoever he likes. :lol: But I'd rather none of the favourites got flopped. It's not like we've got that many great options anyway.

wtf

Predicting Eesti Laul juries is almost impossible anyway. Birgit is a good example, being second to last with semi juries and second with final juries. :lol: Maybe we'd have some idea if we knew who was in the jury, but since we don't.. it's anyone's guess.

If it happens to be a very hipster jury this year, I could see them rating both Elina and Stig down. They'd probably try to push up the likes of Miljardid, Nika, Iiris & Agoh, Frankie Animal, Girls in Pearls. I hope they won't be too 'edgy' and slap all the favourites with 1s and 2s, just because.

Wonder who Normet is stanning for this year. :rolleyes: It would be rather ironic if juries killed his favourite now. Last year, televote flops Kerli -> increase jury power -> jury flops Elina/Stig/whoever he likes. :lol: But I'd rather none of the favourites got flopped. It's not like we've got that many great options anyway.

True, but you also have to keep in mind that semis are way more hipster-orientated than the final shows. And in the final, they are seeing the songs live, not watch them through a screen, which make vocals a very important factor. I personally have changed my mind about certain artists/songs after seeing them performed live. Also, with Normet in the lead, the juries are more diverse every year. Elina's vocals are something I see all kinds of jurors rating high. Also, Verona got way more points from the juries than I ever expected them to get. Therefore Elina should have no trouble.

And I think Normet is stanning whoever the international fans are stanning. He seems to be the type that follows the hype.

hunty73

I think most people are underestimating the juries about Elina's song. Even Estonian professionals can always appreciate great ass vocals. Remember how Birgit got all the high points from these hipsters in 2013? And Ott in 2012?

I can defo see them bringing down Vaje and Stig before Elina tbh.

Also, I think the new system without superfinal makes it easier for Elina, not harder, because Estonian televoters can often be surprisingly unpredictable.

Is that confirmed that there is no super final?
Wikipedia is showing a 2 round vote for the final that includes a last 3 televote.If there isnt it increases Elina's chances probably.

laululind

Is that confirmed that there is no super final?
Wikipedia is showing a 2 round vote for the final that includes a last 3 televote.If there isnt it increases Elina's chances probably.

There used to be info about the superfinal in Eesti Laul rules, which is conspicuously absent this year. Also someone asked them about this back in September and they apparently confirmed it, and said they will reveal new voting system later. Whether that means just regular 50/50 with no superfinal, or something more complicated, who knows. :rolleyes: I hope they won't go overboard with their fancy new ideas. Just dropping the superfinal should be enough to balance out jury/televote a little more. What else could they even have in mind? Full 'international jury'? :confused: I could see Normet going for that, since ESC jury hasn't much liked us three years in a row now.

I wonder what ESC juries would make of Elina. They weren't fans of Cezar or Malene or Jacques, altho' all of them had adequate vocals. Then again, their songs were much more campy than La Forza is. I just hope if Elina wins, she won't get dogpiled by the juries. Well, can't get much worse than last year. And year before that. :lol: But it would be nice to catch a break.

wtf

I wonder what ESC juries would make of Elina. They weren't fans of Cezar or Malene or Jacques, altho' all of them had adequate vocals. Then again, their songs were much more campy than La Forza is. I just hope if Elina wins, she won't get dogpiled by the juries. Well, can't get much worse than last year. And year before that. :lol: But it would be nice to catch a break.

I think La Forza is the safest song for the ESC juries. They always love good vocal performances, even if the song itself is bland. Lithuania 2011 is the first thing that comes to my mind. The song was #1 with the juries in the semi, but 11th in the overall televoting. And the juries are the reason Birgit qualified in 2013 (we got 10 points from the UK jury in the FINAL, how crazy is that?). And Ott would have not made it to top 10 in 2012 without juries either.

So, La Forza is the only safe option for me. Heck, they didn't even like GTY, so all other options are worse imo.

laululind

I think La Forza is the safest song for the ESC juries. They always love good vocal performances, even if the song itself is bland. Lithuania 2011 is the first thing that comes to my mind. The song was #1 with the juries in the semi, but 11th in the overall televoting. And the juries are the reason Birgit qualified in 2013 (we got 10 points from the UK jury in the FINAL, how crazy is that?). And Ott would have not made it to top 10 in 2012 without juries either.

So, La Forza is the only safe option for me. Heck, they didn't even like GTY, so all other options are worse imo.

I guess my worry is that the fact it's a popera song will have them rate it down, despite her good vocals. All those others were more traditional ballads, which juries generally like. But popera seems to not go down as well with them. It would certainly be unfair if they didn't reward her vocals at all while fawning over generic pop ballads. :? But yeah, even if this is a bit of a risk, I guess our options are rather limited this year. Stig's vocals are a sore spot, even if his song might appeal to juries more. Most of the stuff we have on offer would flop with televoters. Külm might be an interesting option, but it has a hint of Blackbird about it, and we know how that went.. nor is it likely to win Eesti Laul. Maybe Laura or Young could reach the final, but neither seems like top 10 material. :rolleyes: Eh.

Let's wait and see what live performances bring. Hopefully something nice! And whoever ends up winning, could they please not muck up the performance again? Seriously. No card tricks or creepy twitching, no 'smouldering' serial killer stares or awkward hair cradling. :lol: Hire some new people or something.

wtf

Iiris praised La Forza in a radio interview. She says that if Elina will actually manage to sing the high ending note, she can imagine the audience standing up for the applause. Also, she said she'd send it directly to the final and that if it wouldn't do well at ESC then she doesn't know what would. She described the song as movie-like and said she visualises oceans in her mind when listening to it.

100% agree with the queen.

edit: The music critiques hosting the show also praised it. One of them said it's by miles the best song of Eesti Laul, and the other said he's proud he voted for the song in the Eesti Laul jury. xheya

Top Bottom