29 10.9%

• Total voters

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: ESTONIA 2018

[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION]

OMG OMG OMG!

Elina Nechayeva - "La forza" go to Lisbon!! xyaaayxyaaayxheartxheart

It's certainly extremely impressive, but actually i'm unsure how much I like the song. I prefer the mysterious verses over the chorus. I think I will enjoy this but I probably need more time with it. If she can pull it off live then it will be stunning I imagine. There's a song by an opera singer (although most of the song is performed in her pop voice) in the Albanian selection i'm in love with called "I njëjti qiell".

eerik

When i think of the superb artists in Estonia and some of the world class singers i have my head in my hands over this selection.Very very poor for me.We have a saying in the Uk ,you dont throw the baby out with the bathwater.It seems to me ERR have done just that.To ensure a "safe" act doesnt win they have kept out all the quality artists.That would be fine if it was because the entries had great songs,but that isnt the case here at all.I find La Forza painful.Il have to see these live to try to figure things out,but this looks like a very very poor EL unless a couple come alive once on stage.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think this year the "safe entries" had the biggest chance of getting throught the pre-selection for the following reasons:

1) Pre-selection process was moved online so each jury member can listen to the songs at home at their own time, and they also changed the voting system for that process. It used to be a binary yay or nay system, where the songs that got most yays were selected, with re-listenings and tiebreakers for the last available spots. This year the voting was done in a five-point scale (if I remember correclty, might have been less or more points) and songs were selected on based on their average score. For a simplified example, this means divisive and polarising songs that get mostly 1s or 5s will be on the same level as lukewarm entries that get mostly 2s and 3s.

2) In previous years, all semi-finalists were chosen by the pre-selection jury, without the Eesti Laul production team inserting themselves into the process. This year, the pre--selection jury chose only 15 of the 20 entries, with the other 5 being selected by a committee made up of Eesti Laul production team (+ one "foreign consultant"). The committee made their selections as a reaction to the pre-selection jury, taking into consideration the TV show aspect of the competition, filling the voids they thought needed filling etc. This also means that if a "big name artist" did not get past the jury, the committee could still let them in because they would be beneficial for the popularity/viewership of Eesti Laul.

laululind

I half-wish they would put all the songs online and let people listen/vote. :rolleyes: I know it probably wouldn't work out. There'd be people buying votes and cheating, and even without cheating, established artists with bigger fanbases could get their fans to vote and have their mediocre songs make it, whereas some unknown with a great song would be left behind. And how many people would really have the patience to properly listen through all the 280 songs.. they'd just pick the big names and vote on them. But still.. there's always that nagging feeling or suspicion everyone has that the jury has, for whatever reason, thrown out all the gems and potential Eurovision winners. :lol: If the lineup isn't the best thing ever, surely there had to be something great in there somewhere.. right? Surely? Maybe if jury picked like 15 entries, and then top 5 from public vote could also get in? Then again, if those songs had very little jury support, they wouldn't get anywhere in Eesti Laul anyway.

Eh, I just wish I could get my hands on all the songs, just once.. to see what the jury had to work with. :rolleyes: And judge their taste, heh. Need to get myself a job at ERR or something.

Mrm

Veteran

It's certainly extremely impressive, but actually i'm unsure how much I like the song. I prefer the mysterious verses over the chorus. I think I will enjoy this but I probably need more time with it. If she can pull it off live then it will be stunning I imagine. There's a song by an opera singer (although most of the song is performed in her pop voice) in the Albanian selection i'm in love with called "I njëjti qiell".

And what about this nostalgic tune from the second semi??

https://menu.err.ee/649632/kuula-laulu-marju-lanik-olen-suure-vastutuse-ja-koormusega-elus-treenitud

Mrm

Veteran

Eliis Pärna & Gerli Padar - "Sky" is AWESOME as well..

It reminds me of Irleand in ESC in 90s..

It's extremely nostalgic and fantastic..

Eesti Laul never disappoints.. xbow :)

Mrm

Veteran

I really like these entries (no particular order):

1. Desiree - "On My Mind"
2. Elina Netšajeva - "La Forza"
3. Etnopatsy - "Külm"
4. Stig Rästa - "Home"
5. Marju Länik - "Täna otsuseid ei tee"
6. Eliis Pärna & Gerli Padar - "Sky"

Only Iiris Vesik has disappointed me quite a lot.. :(

carl1

I hope we send Elina, just because it's something different. Stig is well and fine and safe and probably would be a banker finalist in Lisbon, maybe getting Austria 2017 result.
With Elina, I see the potential for a really good result in Lisbon, or it will all end in tears, but I'd like to take the risk.

hunty73

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think this year the "safe entries" had the biggest chance of getting throught the pre-selection for the following reasons:

1) Pre-selection process was moved online so each jury member can listen to the songs at home at their own time, and they also changed the voting system for that process. It used to be a binary yay or nay system, where the songs that got most yays were selected, with re-listenings and tiebreakers for the last available spots. This year the voting was done in a five-point scale (if I remember correclty, might have been less or more points) and songs were selected on based on their average score. For a simplified example, this means divisive and polarising songs that get mostly 1s or 5s will be on the same level as lukewarm entries that get mostly 2s and 3s.

2) In previous years, all semi-finalists were chosen by the pre-selection jury, without the Eesti Laul production team inserting themselves into the process. This year, the pre--selection jury chose only 15 of the 20 entries, with the other 5 being selected by a committee made up of Eesti Laul production team (+ one "foreign consultant"). The committee made their selections as a reaction to the pre-selection jury, taking into consideration the TV show aspect of the competition, filling the voids they thought needed filling etc. This also means that if a "big name artist" did not get past the jury, the committee could still let them in because they would be beneficial for the popularity/viewership of Eesti Laul.

Maybe the entries were simply poor,but this seems so weak to me something seems wrong.There is a chance many will be much better live of course.Given the music scene in Estonia i just expected a much stronger selection.Others might really enjoy the songs and this seasons EL though.My personal thought is this is a very weak EL.

Mrm

Veteran

Maybe the entries were simply poor,but this seems so weak to me something seems wrong.There is a chance many will be much better live of course.Given the music scene in Estonia i just expected a much stronger selection.Others might really enjoy the songs and this seasons EL though.My personal thought is this is a very weak EL.

Do you like Eliis Pärna & Gerli Padar - "Sky"? :)

SwissKung

My ranking for the 2nd semi-final:

01. Frankie Animal - Misty
02. Metsakutsu - Kolifornia
03. Girls in Pealrs - Spellbound

04. Nika - Knock Knock
05. Karl-Kristjan & Karl Killing - Young

And I don't like/care for the other 5, it really is the weakest semi-final.

Overwall a weird seletion for Eesti Laul but there are still great songs that would do well at Eurovision but I fully expect Estonians to fuck it up for a 3rd year in a row and go with La Forza....

Embrace your indie and/or ethnic music scene Eesti if you want to do well again.

DaFlo

Banned

Listened to short recap. Super dissapointing selection... meh :/ Nothing I rly care about, last year was so much better.

Kairit

My second semi ranking...

1. Evestus - Welcome To My World ... I dig it. It's the only song in the semi for me that's different and enjoyable enough.
2. Girls In Pearls - Spellbound ... Not really impressed. It's literally like background music, a monotone song you hear in a mall. But it's the kind of music I enjoy more or less, so I prefer it over most of these. And it's quite nice to listen to, plus it has a distinct style at least, it's just not outstanding at all. I'd listen to it more than once though, so...
3. Marju Länik - Täna Otsuseid Ei Tee ... Queen. I'd love this, if I was at a village party on Midsummer.
4. Rolf Roosalu - Show A Little Love ... It's just sickly cheesy cr*p, isn't it. That's why I enjoy it, though. :lol: It's quite adorable and energetic and stands out in the line-up. Whoo.
5. Eliis Pärna & Gerli Padar - Sky... It's pretty, and in a way something refreshing in the midst of all these bland radio tunes. Yet it turns out to be just a bland Disney tune.
6. Karl-Kristjan & Karl Killing (ft. WATEVA) - Young ... It's okay, I suppose. Prefer "Have You Now" from last year by a mile though. Also they're really mediocre singers w/ really unrecognisable voices. In the end it's just a bland chill radio filler. Not bad, again pretty enjoyable, but you wouldn't die to hear it twice.
7. Indrek Ventmann - Tempel ... I don't know where they were going with this song, really. It's awfully repetitive, with nothing in it to captivate me fully. Just gets stuck in my head and I might want to bop my head along to it, but it's really not going to be exciting on stage at all lmao.
8. Frankie Animal - (Can't Keep Calling) Misty ... Didn't like this at all before. Still not a fan.
9. Nika - Knock Knock ... No thanks?
10. Metsakutsu - Koplifornia ... The worst kind of Estonian rap.

This semi is just... horrid compared to the first one, where I genuinely loved 7-8 songs and I literally prefer all of them over any of these. Maybe even all 10 songs, now that I'm listening to them again :lol: Makes me question if I prefer this year or last year in the end. Starting to strongly lean towards last year, I think... :?

Elina Nechayeva for the win xcheer Or Sibyl Vane, if we're going by how much I've listened to their song.

EscGeek

Veteran

I think the lineup is pretty good xup

I just changed my favorite..Song "Drop That Boogie" by Iiris & Agoh now takes the cake and the rapping trio is now close second.
1000 words, Pseudoprobleem and On My Mind are alll very nice
There's also Koplifornia, and Karl Kristjan who is back again with another modern banger
I like Stig Rasta's song too...(it took me a long time to start tolerating his 2015 song...i started liking it after eurovision. "Home" sounds more like old-school rock and that's why i prefer it over gty)
I need to hear the live version of Evestus... it could go either way...so far, i'm not a fan

henhu

I also think it's ok selection of songs (2010, 2011 and 2014 were worse imo), there are some songs that could potentially (if we don't ruin staging again) qualify in Eurovision.

hunty73

Is the voting 50/50 jury televote in the semi's?.Im starting to warm to a couple of these who might do well,they are in the first semi though and it looks brutal to get out of that one.Semi 2 looks much less competitive.

hijirio

Veteran

PLEASE ESTONIA PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE !

Send Elina and my 12 points is ready for you!

Didn't expect to find my number 1 for this year so early, but I really doubt any country can send sth better than this, if she gets chosen.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

We will have our own voting and Ranking for Eesti Laul this year. Please vote for your favorite songs Eurovision style by using the link below. Results will be posted as soon as we have received 60 votes so don't waste time and vote now!!!

Top Bottom