Contact us

ESC 2018 News & Updates

Fluke

I'm sure there won't be any for a while....

jimijoop

Banned
It's true that Kosovo will debut if a country who will win today recognises Kosovo?

DanielLuis

I'm hoping for a year with more national languages and simples staging. But still with many different genres being represented!

Floreen

I want to know the dates of Esc 2018 very soon!I don't know why but I can't wait!Hope for the first week of May! :)

DanielLuis

RTP will have the first meeting to start preparing the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest tomorrow! The team has already decided that they want MEO Arena to host, it seems, and they want to confirm things with EBU so the arena will be selected,
They also said that RTP will already start working with sponsors to help carry the costs for the organization, which they say averages 30 million euros for the past few years.

DanielLuis

I want to know the dates of Esc 2018 very soon!I don't know why but I can't wait!Hope for the first week of May! :)

On the first week of May there'll be the semi-finals of the Champions League and the Europa League, so things will probably be scheduled for the week after.

EscUKFan

RTP will have the first meeting to start preparing the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest tomorrow! The team has already decided that they want MEO Arena to host, it seems, and they want to confirm things with EBU so the arena will be selected,
They also said that RTP will already start working with sponsors to help carry the costs for the organization, which they say averages 30 million euros for the past few years.

I like how last year it took four months to choose a venue, whilst this year it's only been one day since the final and a venue already seems to be chosen.:lol:

DanielLuis

I like how last year it took four months to choose a venue, whilst this year it's only been one day since the final and a venue already seems to be chosen.:lol:

We porbably won't have any City Battles going on this year :D
It's not like either method of selecting the venue is wrong or right though. But here in Portugal MEO Arena really is the perfect venue for an event like Eurovision, that whole are just screams the Eurovision spirit :D So other possible venues wouldn't even be able to put on a fight, really.

AlekS

Veteran
I assume this is the only suitable indoor arena in Portugal so the choice is quite obvious :lol:

DanielLuis

I assume this is the only suitable indoor arena in Portugal so the choice is quite obvious :lol:

At least another venue in Lisbon could host it, in terms of capacity, Campo Pequeno. But they don't stand a chance against MEO Arena.
On other cities I don't think there are indoor arenas big enough for Eurovision, but there could be stadiums with temporary roofs put over, like Lviv suggested this year, that could compete with MEO Arena, or maybe some sort of alternative type of venue that isn't primarily used as an arena for concerts, like B&W Hallerne. However, they would stand no chance against MEO Arena, so I don't think there is any point in making a competition this year, as long as MEO Arena is available!

JonnyWest

MEO Arena is the only obvious choice, it's the 3rd biggest indoor arena in Europe, RTP should announce it already tomorrow morning

AlekS

Veteran
At least another venue in Lisbon could host it, in terms of capacity, Campo Pequeno. But they don't stand a chance against MEO Arena.
On other cities I don't think there are indoor arenas big enough for Eurovision, but there could be stadiums with temporary roofs put over, like Lviv suggested this year, that could compete with MEO Arena, or maybe some sort of alternative type of venue that isn't primarily used as an arena for concerts, like B&W Hallerne. However, they would stand no chance against MEO Arena, so I don't think there is any point in making a competition this year, as long as MEO Arena is available!

Campo Pequeno - the EBU's minimal capacity was 6 000 in 2017. Considering it's round I have no idea how many seats would be "eaten" by the stage. + its roof should carry at least 100 additional tons.
Stadiums - ESC techies said they prefer indoor arenas because their equipment is meant for indoor arenas, not to mention empty grandstands to the sides of the stage.
In other words all the options except MEO require additional costs. To the MEO we go xyaay

tvfan

RTP just confirmed that the contest will be held in Lisbon in 2018.

DanielLuis

RTP's director, Gonçalo Reis, said that he is delighted with the opportunity of hosting the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest, as it is a chance to showcase Portugal, the Portuguese entertainment and RTP itself. He said RTP is analyzing the dossier the EBU handed them last saturday, that has all the technical requirements for the hosting of the contest. He also said that the team that will focus on the organization of the event is currently being built.

The first meeting with the EBU will be on June 13th. He also said the estimations that some media in Portugal said that the contest would cost 30-50 million euros are not correct, because Portugal already has all the infrastructure ready for hosting this event unlike some of the previous hosts, like Azerbaijan who had to build their venue in a year. However, he said that the venue is not yet chosen and that it is premature to say how much it will cost, even though he hopes RTP will have all the conditions to do a great show, that checks all the requirements, without wasting money in excess.

He already said that since saturday, a lot of big Portuguese brands have been offering to be sponsors for the contest.
The secretary of state of the energy also stated that he hopes the production of the contes will be supported fully with green energy.

Top Bottom