Contact us

EBU Statement: Irregular voting patterns during Second Semi-Final 2022

DanielLuis

The audacity of these broadcasters to still play the victim after those ridiculous SF votes were published by the EBU.
Every single one of them should be fined and banned from the 2023 contest

Brandt

The audacity of these broadcasters to still play the victim after those ridiculous SF votes were published by the EBU.
Nah, I doubt EBU would suddenly want to lose 6 participants at once.
Neither would I.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

They're not gonna it seems although they should. It's wild how they're all doubling down on it so hard.

mitch67

both sides lost their face in this procedure
the EBU should have appointed other jurors to cast their vote..

Last edited:

lilka

Then we should abolish the televotes to stop countries from voting for their neighbours
It just goes round in a circle
Then we should abolish the ESC.

HayashiM

Veteran
@EBU finding replacement juries -> utter nonsense in this situation.

1. The jury members are always picked by the broadcasters pre-contest, the only say EBU has in this is when allowing for exceptions (as was the case with Tonya Graves being part of the Czech jury last year).
It is not EBU's job to search for a backup jury. Deciding on jurymembers is the job of the broadcasters, and these broadcasters have already failed once.
2. Quite problematic to achieve in the first place because of the logistics. Try finding 5 different people with the expected credentials in that short timespan. In 6 different countries. When this is not your job to do so.
3. I don't see how it would have solved anything - the broadcasters would have still complained that someone decided on their points in their stead.

mitch67

no finding replacement jurors -either by the EBU or the broadcasters is not nonsense.

in most countries there surely will be people who meet the expectations -whatever they actually are- and be lucky to fill the gap. Why not for such a scenario or the likeliness that one juror is unable to do so , are there not any back up people anyway?

SAYAY

I mean, I am not going to defend these broadcasters, cause all 6 of them having each other ranked in the top spots is indeed sus. But what I am curious about is why it seems that the broadcasters from Romania and Azerbaijan doesn't seem to have been notified properly. I am thinking about the video with the spokesperson from Romania who was dressed up and ready to announce the votes, and instead they just cut straight to Martin. She seemed just as confused as I was.

We saw the spokespersons from San Marino, Montenegro and Poland as usual, and that is obviously because EBU had notified them and gave them the corrected manipulated result from them. But what happened with the communication to Romania and Azerbaijan? (I am not including Georgia here because I have not seen any statement from them yet I think).

Again, not defending cheaters. Never have and never will. But if there is even a slight chance EBU has not notified them properly somehow then that's a bit of a clumsy approach.

Edit:
I also hope that this is a lesson learned for the future. Thank god these results would not have made any major difference in the scoreboard either way and it was not in a bigger scale. Aka, cheating is not worth it.

Gitte

I had read somewhere that EBU did notify them, and if they agreed to announce the changed 12 points they went to the spokespersons, the countries that didn't agree were changed to Martin announcing it. It's all weird for sure.

Bobjan FR

We saw the spokespersons from San Marino, Montenegro and Poland as usual, and that is obviously because EBU had notified them and gave them the corrected manipulated result from them.

The "12 points" the juries of san marino, montenegro and poland intended to give in final were the same as the "12 points" the "algorithm" put. So there was no problem to let the spokeperson announce it.
For The 3 others, the 12 points of their juries and the 12 points of the algorithm were different.

Last edited:

SAYAY

The "12 points" the juries of san marino, montenegro and poland intended to give in final were the same as the "12 points" the "algorithm" put. So there was no problem to let the spokeperson announce it.
For The 3 others, the 12 points of their juries and the 12 points of the algorithm were different.
Aaah I did not know this. But then it makes sense yes!

SAYAY

I had read somewhere that EBU did notify them, and if they agreed to announce the changed 12 points they went to the spokespersons, the countries that didn't agree were changed to Martin announcing it. It's all weird for sure.
If this is true than that's terrible of the broadcasters that did not agree.
I feel bad for the poor spokespersons though, they were probably an innocent party here and its all because the broadcasters ducked up. Really properly ducked up.

FilipFromSweden

TVR didn't withdraw in 2016 when they arranged a whole NF and the EBU pulled the rug with telling them no due to the debt, so why would this be a more ''insulting'' reason to withdraw?

FilipFromSweden

HayashiM

Veteran
no finding replacement jurors -either by the EBU or the broadcasters is not nonsense.

in most countries there surely will be people who meet the expectations -whatever they actually are- and be lucky to fill the gap. Why not for such a scenario or the likeliness that one juror is unable to do so , are there not any back up people anyway?
It might not be nonsense in the future when embedded into the rules and planned for, but it would have been nonsense in this situation.

And once again, it is not EBU's job.

Bobjan FR

Hum.... i didn't saw the statement of SMRTV, but they say they didn't wanted to give spain 12 points, but to italy....oh ? Maybe i was wrong so ? But poland giving to ukraine and montenegro giving to serbia looks quite normal.

midnightsun

Veteran
Ofcourse the EBU didn't say that, that's just ridiculous. It's so easy for the San Marino team to just take the easy Sweden-hate road

I doubt the EBU said something like that, but it's strange Sweden got so many extra points due the replaced votes. Not everything is based on Sweden-hate.

Also, why are the EBU substitute jury votes the same as the Malta jury vote? Does that mean the EBU is corrupt too and and coordinated their votes with the Maltese jury? :ROFLMAO: See - the same results can happen by accident!

I don’t think all 6 accused juries voted for the same countries by accident, it’s pretty obvious they cheated. BUT thinking Romania giving their 12 points to Moldova is a fraud and planned is ridiculous. Come on, the lyrics are "from Chișinău to Bucharest“, the song is about two brotherly countries… in which world would Romania NOT give the 12 to their neighbour country who sang a song about them?! I see why they are pissed since this one was probably the only sincere vote out of all of them… :LOL:

Loindici

Veteran

EBU losing appr. €1.800.000 just because they enforce fairness? I don't think they would let it slip away...

HarryUK

So do we know how these juries voted in the final? That would surely determine if there was a voting pact just for SF2...

Kaz

If a country’s jury scores are invalid, they should just double their televote points rather than try and formulate fake hypothetical situations. And I don’t think many people would complain about the televote having slightly more power.

I guess the only downside is that juries might try and deliberately make their scores look suspicious if they want their vote to become invalid and instead push a televote favourite. Meta asf

Top Bottom