Contact us

EBU Statement: Irregular voting patterns during Second Semi-Final 2022

Navn Navnes

Weren't Azerbaijan caught buying the Maltese televotes before
If the televotes can be rigged, the juries obviously can be.

I don't have an issue with 'neighbourly' voting as much as most in the UK, because it's a cultural thing. I was just trying to emphasise my point.
I think the problem is that the juries are only five people for each country, which makes it way easier to rig them than buying enough televotes for it to change the result.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I don't think the 6 countries should be banned - these dodgy deals could have (and most likely) happened without delegation or broadcaster knowledge

One or more broadcaster had to be involved somewhere, to be able to pull this off. Especially when the juries are supposed to be secret.

Personally i think an example should be made, this is clearly a systematic and intentional effort to manipulate the votes. Then the jury system and rules need overhauled. Voter manipulation cannot be allowed to become a continuous thing, especially on this scale.

FilipFromSweden

Maybe there should be a rule that if EBU finds out your country’s jury cheated before the final then the country as a whole is disqualified and won’t get to perform

midnightsun

Veteran
I don't know what is more embarassing, that these six countries cheated or that some users here directly blamed the EBU when their jury scores were deemed invalid

Sorry, I forgot the EBU is inerrant.

I think as someone loving the contest and spending a lot of money on votes I‘m at least entitled to question some things that appear unusual to me.

And neither did my country have anything to do with THIS scandal nor I am defending certain countries because I wanted them to win (well, I wished some of them a good place that’s why I voted but… the point is clear I think).

All I do is scrutinizing the EBU's methods. But that was the last post of me on this matter because the EBU would never admit if they allocated their substitute points (which was the right thing to do, I‘m fully with you) not completely fair or unbiased.

[Yeah, I know, the math, the algorithm, the voting pots, I get all that and still I think improvements could be made in the future.]

Nuff said.

mitch67

yes, i did not get the algorhytm thing as well. would it not have been possible to appoint 5 new jury members before the grand fina for each of the country and save oneself this charade with "broken satellite connection"?

this whole manipulation stuff just ads to the public attitude that ESC is "rigged" and should be abolished..

Last edited:

FilipFromSweden

yes, i did not grt the algprhytm thing as well. would it not have been possible to appoint 5 new jury members before the grand fina for each of the country and save oneself this charade with "broken satellite connection"

this whole manipulation stuff just ads to the public attitude that ESC is "rigged" and should be abolished..
Or maybe the cheating juries are what adds to it ... the hateboner for EBU

Bobjan FR

San Marino have obviously been dodgy for awhile there is no other explanation for them giving rafal 12 last year and receiving 12 back

And we can add the exchange of 10 points with montenegro in 2019 as well...!

empo21

Veteran
It's clear that they manipulated the votes, but...EBU really doesn't have anything else except "we noticed some irregularities" - unless they're hiding actual evidence that vote shenanigans happened.

At this point it's basically EBU's words against them and TVR will play innocent and threaten with withrawal and maybe the other countries will, too. Unless EBU can whip out footage or some evidence that delegations communicated, or someone blows the whistle on them, these 6 countries will play the innocent 'oops what a coincidence' card and nothing will happen.

This is the same EBU that had to be blown up with complaints for nearly a month before removing Belarus and for nearly a week before removing Russia, they aren't going to sanction these six anytime soon, if at all.

mitch67

@empo

yes, I agree.. I guess if one really digs deeper , one would find out more irregularities.
Maybe this time though it was too obvious and so the EBU had to react in some way, whih imo made it worse.

Jruies were reintroduced for a reason. Obviously they made it worse...

Brandt

Also a part of :az: statement that I personally find... interesting

It should be noted that we have not been informed about this “strangeness” from Thursday to the end of the final on Saturday, and no “evidence” has been provided so far.

Despite the fact that the representative of the Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company was ready to announce the results of the jury voting in Azerbaijan during the broadcast, the organizers of the competition were not closed to Baku, but announced their results on our behalf. The failure to carry out this process in Baku is due to technical problems.

However, we did not have any technical problems to announce the votes live. We emphasize once again that we have not given the organizers any right to announce the votes on behalf of Public Television.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Also a part of :az: statement that I personally find... interesting

It should be noted that we have not been informed about this “strangeness” from Thursday to the end of the final on Saturday, and no “evidence” has been provided so far.

Despite the fact that the representative of the Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company was ready to announce the results of the jury voting in Azerbaijan during the broadcast, the organizers of the competition were not closed to Baku, but announced their results on our behalf. The failure to carry out this process in Baku is due to technical problems.

However, we did not have any technical problems to announce the votes live. We emphasize once again that we have not given the organizers any right to announce the votes on behalf of Public Television.

As it's been said by others, that would be better than letting them announce 12 to another country only for Martin Österdahl to cut in and tell everyone live on TV that their jury votes were disqualified and their 12 is something else. If anything, i'd say they were done a favour being spared the humiliation on national TV.

Quite frankly if TVR wanna withdraw, go for it. It's obvious that some form of manipulation in the jury votes happened, whether they knew about it or not. Coincidences happen, but not on that scale.

Top Bottom