5 4.1%

4 3.3%

5 4.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Mrlazzyjazzy

Such a random choice, to go to the effort to import this guy considering his disastrous result at Australia Decides. They don't have any cute Cypriot or Greek artists with a decent voice? Because that all this guy has going, he has no experience. Each to their own. He could surprise you never.

CypriotGirl

Veteran
Hovig - Armenia
Eleni Foureira - Albania
Tamta - Georgia
Sandro - Germany
Elena Tsagrinou - Greece
Andromache - Greece
Andrew Lambrou - Australia

Well, one could see somehow a pattern here. :D
Hovig is Cypriot born and raised, he's more Cypriot than Armenian tbh. For the rest, I agree and I had been saying that I was frustrated about this all over the years, but at least Andrew Lambrou is 100% Cypriot in origins, I would feel that at last a Cypriot artist is representing Cyprus. I mentioned before that 2nd place with Fuego says nothing to me as a Cypriot, I viewed it as another country's entry no matter how much I liked it as a song.

Mrlazzyjazzy

Hovig is Cypriot born and raised, he's more Cypriot than Armenian tbh. For the rest, I agree and I had been saying that I was frustrated about this all over the years, but at least Andrew Lambrou is 100% Cypriot in origins, I would feel that at last a Cypriot artist is representing Cyprus. I mentioned before that 2nd place with Fuego says nothing to me as a Cypriot, I viewed it as another country's entry no matter how much I liked it as a song.
All I can find about his origin is that his grandfather is from Paphos and he has family in Lemnos, Greece. The guy can't speak greek. My Dad is Greek Cypriot, but I don't speak greek and I've only gone to Cyprus like 3-4 times, I'm Australian too maybe I should apply for Cyprus 2024.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

For me Cyprus has been on hot very long super hot streak since Eleni and one of my favourite Eurovision countries (lets forget Sandro was a thing), however I think if we kept importing singers for our entries i'd probably get a bit irked by it as well, even if I was a fan of the entry. At least for 2024 with a NF you might get a chance at something a bit more... Cypriot. It's a shame Andromache fell so flat and lifeless during the verses this year, because the song was super good imo.

CypriotGirl

Veteran
All I can find about his origin is that his grandfather is from Paphos and he has family in Lemnos, Greece. The guy can't speak greek. My Dad is Greek Cypriot, but I don't speak greek and I've only gone to Cyprus like 3-4 times, I'm Australian too maybe I should apply for Cyprus 2024.
I had the impression that both of his parents were Greek Cypriots but anyway, even with this background he's more acceptable than Tamta, Andromache etc for me, and you would've been more acceptable as well. :lol:

lilka

I had the impression that both of his parents were Greek Cypriots but anyway, even with this background he's more acceptable than Tamta, Andromache etc for me, and you would've been more acceptable as well. :lol:
If we judge by ethnic background, unfortunately the most iconic and "clear" Greek Cypriot is a forever-lost case, and I don't want to repeat myself anyways, so I'll keep my "mouth" shut. :cool:

If we start selecting from among us, forum members (like @Mrlazzyjazzy suggested), I want to represent Cyprus. :p Or, wait, if I speak Greek, am I eligible or not? I'm, however, saved by the fact that I don't speak the Cypriot dialect, I only understand some of its more characteristic features :ROFLMAO: Because, you know, there are several options: one could be non-Greek Cypriot(or not Greek at all) and speak Greek, the second option is ethnically Greek Cypriot but not able to speak Greek, and third option is Greek Cypriot able to speak Greek...

All jokes aside now, let's just not create drama yet. What if the song is actually good and the performance decent?

JohnArg

Mainshow

Veteran
Last edited:

MooseShoes

Remember the days when people used to get excited about what :cy: were getting up to?

bazinga

I am expecting a cheese fest like :
"This is love
Reaching out for the stars
You and me as one
Everywhere, this is love"

A-lister

Veteran

Well, when Luxembourg was in the contest they almost exclusively sent foreign artists. Switzerland won with a French-Canadian that had nothing to do with Switzerland.

But yeah, I can sorta get the frustration but I guess it's related to Cyprus being small, but very integrated with Greece for obvious reasons and also have a proportionally big diaspora?

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Top Bottom