Stin ankaliá mou, páme mazí pio péra
Sta óneirá mou, valé fterá kai péta
You can be my only one
Na-na-na-na-ni-aman

Ela, ela, ela
Ela, ela, ela​

CypriotGirl

Veteran
I'm honestly thinking to write to CyBC and call myself a Eurovision expert (in Cyprus you are what you call yourself :lol:) and ask them to stop this formula of imported song/singer/songwriter/dancers/choreographers etc. And I'll suggest them few things.

One is to open a song submission, everyone can submit songs and then have a jury to choose a number of entries for a national final. We haven't got any NF for so many years, we've got so many new talents who are just in the beginning of their careers and I'm sure many would be interested. I think acts like these could try ESC:

Another thing is to select internally a CYPRIOT singer/songwriter who is talented, fresh and respected and ask him to make a song for ESC. My suggestion would be Metaxas:
After Duncan Lawrence won, I thought they would turn into this direction but instead, they insisted in the same formula with Fuego and Replay.
Metaxas did ESC once, when he wrote the song for his not so talented sister who was out of tune in all song in 2009. And in 2008, he had two songs in Cyprus NF, so I wouldn't call this impossible.

And the last thing would be to select a musician, Cypriot again, and ask him to write a song, or a list of songs for a mini-NF. My wish is something folk-sy in Cypriot dialect or at least in Greek, but even if the song is in English with folk influences would be OK from me. And my suggestion would be Costas Cacoyannis.

And if they want to mix my #2 and #3 options, it would be acceptable as well:

Last edited:

Mrm

Veteran
I hope they change approach a bit for 2022...

A-lister

Veteran
Unpopular opinion: I don't mind :cy: sending "the same song every year". It's cool when a country has a trademark style, as long as there's variety in the contest overall.

I actually agree here, if the formula works and if they try to find some variety within that formula, then why not?

However, the variety shouldn't mean to dig up reductive Gaga demos though :lol:

Shadowfuxcs

An actual Cypriot person and something that actually sounds like Greek/Cypriot instead of Mediterranean Sweden essentially.
I find the issue with the nationality of the Cypriot entrants slightly inflated. Greece and Cyprus share the same music market and all of Foureira, Tamta, Tsagrinou had to one extend or another established careers in both countries prior to representing Cyprus. Cypriot singers have represented Greece several times (most recently in 2007, 2011, 2012, 2015 and notably the Cypriot Anna Vissi sang the host entry for Greece in 2006). It is in the recent years that the Cypriot ticket has become more attractive for Greek pop acts and this is why we see an influx towards the opposite direction.

As for the Greek/Cypriot sound, I simply do not think that such a thing exists. I don't like the idea that eastern and southern countries need to be limited to what outsiders perceive as their traditional music whereas central and northern Europe can send Americanized factory pop without scrutiny. A Greek/Cypriot song does not need to include bouzouki and opa's to be Greek. The only requirement is to be written by Greek people. Fuego and Replay were composed by Alex P, a diaspora Greek from Sweden, which makes him as much Greek as Paparizou, Stephania, Kalomoira and Duska.

Add to that the fact that Cyprus has just slightly higher population than Luxembourg, which got 5 wins all by non-Luxembourgish singers (if I am not mistaken). Estonia has more than two times the population and won with an American singer (2001), then was represented by a Swede in home ground (2002) and sent another Swede with a song initially meant to attempt representing Sweden (2019).

Eventually I find it a bit unfair to criticize Cyprus about the "nationality" (Greek and Cypriot are not mutually exclusive nationalities) of the singer when this phenomenon has been present throughout the history of the contest and there is also the reality that music markets do not operate within closed borders. Of course it would be nice to see something with a bit more of a local flavor. However this should not be used as pressure for Cyprus and Greece to serve the same pseudo-ethno-pop with a bouzouki instrumental break and zeimpekiko dance gimmicks which are massively outdated elements outside of eurovision, do not represent the local music scene and are generally served as cheap entertainement for the eyes of the prospective tourists that watch the contest. Not to say this is the intention of the OP but it is an opportunity of a necessary and interesting discussion about the directions that countries should follow. It always strikes me as unfair when Greece, Cyprus and other countries get criticized about the "Greekness-Cypriotness" of the songs rather than the actual quality of them.

CypriotGirl

Veteran
@Shadowfuxcs nicely said. But I don't think people mean the pseudo-ethno-pop when they ask something actually Cypriot. The song can be from any genre, in any language, but to have either Cypriot creators, or Cypriot performer, or both. There are so many talents in Cyprus, and it's a waste to send someone non-Cypriot year after year. We did it three times in a row, now it's time to explore to something of our own. Every year it's decreasing. Foureira is more popular than Tamta, Tamta is more popular than Elena Tsagrinou. Most people in Cyprus didn't know who Elena Tsagrinou was before "El Diablo". Not to mention the one that thankfully didn't happen, Sandro, who was completely unknown in both Greece and Cyprus.

Next year, I'd prefer something not really pop. Or at least not dance-pop. It could be indie-pop, alternative-pop, ethnic ballad, anything. This year in ESC most pop songs suffered, and only Malta and Greece made it to top 10, because they had something different from typical pop. I understand that having a deal with record companies like Panik Records might be necessary because of the sponsors etc, but something with lower budget might be more successful afterall.

Mimmon

Veteran
@Shadowfuxcs nicely said. But I don't think people mean the pseudo-ethno-pop when they ask something actually Cypriot. The song can be from any genre, in any language, but to have either Cypriot creators, or Cypriot performer, or both. There are so many talents in Cyprus, and it's a waste to send someone non-Cypriot year after year. We did it three times in a row, now it's time to explore to something of our own. Every year it's decreasing. Foureira is more popular than Tamta, Tamta is more popular than Elena Tsagrinou. Most people in Cyprus didn't know who Elena Tsagrinou was before "El Diablo". Not to mention the one that thankfully didn't happen, Sandro, who was completely unknown in both Greece and Cyprus.

Next year, I'd prefer something not really pop. Or at least not dance-pop. It could be indie-pop, alternative-pop, ethnic ballad, anything. This year in ESC most pop songs suffered, and only Malta and Greece made it to top 10, because they had something different from typical pop. I understand that having a deal with record companies like Panik Records might be necessary because of the sponsors etc, but something with lower budget might be more successful afterall.
I agree on 2nd part of the comment....Would be nice breath fresh of air...

EscUKFan

They’ve clearly found a USP that works for them (even if Replay and El Diablo did a little,worse than expected). If they keep going at it the pace they are at the minute then I’m sure the stars will align eventually.

Shadowfuxcs

Yeah sure it would be better if Cyprus had a different approach. Already after Fuego they could have gone for an open selection or proper national final since the interest must have been at its peak. Is it financially so hard for RIK to participate without Panik?

StephenMuckle

I wouldn't mind seeing Maria Kanellis represent either Cyprus or Greece (given that she is of Greek Cypriot origin). Also being a former WWE Superstar (currently with Ring of Honor) she would already be extremely well known. She did record a rock EP around 2009/2010. There was even a rumour around that time linking her to Eurovision and that she would get a mega push on TV where she would be involved in a big storyline and win the Divas Championship, just before heading off for Eurovision (which would have been promoted on WWE programming). Apparently she picked up a minor injury at a live event a few months before she was apparently due to be announced and this forced CYBC's hand as they didn't want to risk her getting a bigger injury.

Mimmon

Veteran
I wouldn't mind seeing Maria Kanellis represent either Cyprus or Greece (given that she is of Greek Cypriot origin). Also being a former WWE Superstar (currently with Ring of Honor) she would already be extremely well known. She did record a rock EP around 2009/2010. There was even a rumour around that time linking her to Eurovision and that she would get a mega push on TV where she would be involved in a big storyline and win the Divas Championship, just before heading off for Eurovision (which would have been promoted on WWE programming). Apparently she picked up a minor injury at a live event a few months before she was apparently due to be announced and this forced CYBC's hand as they didn't want to risk her getting a bigger injury.
As wrestling fan I find this funny
also no way she will do it lol

rasmuslights

Veteran
Maybe something different from Fuego 4.0?

ughh upbeat tempo female banger does not equal fuego tho! And honestly, this type of songs brought them the best results... I'd honestly take a couple of bangers over 2020, 2015, 2013, 2011

Top Bottom