Contact us

Countries who never won the ESC?

tuorem

Wow, can't believe this topic turned into a fight about Yougoslavia inheritance.

Now, we can remove Azerbaijan from the list ;)
Well, in my opinion, some countries will win sooner or later : I could see Armenia, Georgia, Lithuania and Romania as potential winners: they can qualify, they can achieve a top 10, so I don't take a risk mentioning them.

However, some of them seem hopeless to me: Andorra (ok), Belarus (because of politics) and San Marino. Actually, there are lots of relatively recent countries, so it's not surprising there are so many countries that never won.

By the way, I hope that the list will shorten ONLY if there are worthy winners. It would annoy me to see the same countries winning but if the others send crap. Then I don't want to award them the prize just because they never won before.

AdelAdel

I'm cheering for Portugal to win, since it's the only country that didn't win for such a long time (1964)

tuorem

I'm cheering for Portugal to win, since it's the only country that didn't win for such a long time (1964)

Me too. Why did they never win? Because they always stayed true to themselves, sticking to their language and traditional music. Simple as that :(

LakZaNokte

Why isn't Bosnia on the front page list of countries to never win?
didn't even notice :lol:

funny thing is that I believe we could see B&H winning in some not-so-distant future. they are doing a good job there, sending great entries every year...
imo, it is just a matter of time ;)

sannerz

didn't even notice :lol:

funny thing is that I believe we could see B&H winning in some not-so-distant future. they are doing a good job there, sending great entries every year...
imo, it is just a matter of time ;)

Yeah, Bosnia's been sending quality entries for a while now. The juries don't seem to like our songs much though.
If MayaSar had been representing Italy, the juries would've put it in their top 5. :lol:

LakZaNokte

Yeah, Bosnia's been sending quality entries for a while now. The juries don't seem to like our songs much though.
If MayaSar had been representing Italy, the juries would've put it in their top 5. :lol:
doesn't matter. B&H will find a "killer" sooner or later :D

NemesisNick

Wow, can't believe this topic turned into a fight about Yougoslavia inheritance.
Croatia is on the list of countries that nave never won ESC (at least not as an independent nation anyway). I was just trying to explain about Yugoslavia and spin-off nations in the ESC, and that derailed this thread into an argument about Yugoslaiva.

Now, we can remove Azerbaijan from the list ;)
I noticed that too. Last weekend I posted an up-to-date list of countries that have never won the ESC here http://www.escforums.com/t5746-6/#post778985 - notice it includes some countries the OP missed from the opening post (repeated at the top of each page).

By the way, I hope that the list will shorten ONLY if there are worthy winners. It would annoy me to see the same countries winning but if the others send crap. Then I don't want to award them the prize just because they never won before.
Again I agree with you. In my opinion Ukraine shouldn't have won the 2004 ESC, Serbia & Montenegro should (their entry was better as far as I'm concerned). Serbia's 2007 entry was quite unmemorable, I'd rather Ukraine (Verka Serduchka) had won.

tuorem

NemesisNick, sorry! I must have overlooked your up-to-date list :oops:

I wasn't criticizing the fact that you were talking about Yougoslavia, on the contrary, it had to be made clear.

Ianp16

It's sad that we've only crossed 2 countries off the original list over the last 10 years, since this thread was created. At least :pt: got their long-awaited victory like many people in this thread wished for. Now we have:

Albania
Andorra
Armenia
Australia
Belarus
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Georgia
Hungary
Iceland
Lithuania
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Poland
Romania
San Marino
Slovakia
Slovenia

Who will be next off the list?

tomos2019

I'm guessing next is going to be either Malta,Cyprus or Iceland at least based on longest-running or number of appearances, it is quite possible someone a lot newer could do it before them though.

Top Bottom