Contact us

Canada 2024

GRE

Would you like to see Canada as guest country next year ?
They are about to do their own song contest,
so maybe the winner could participate in Eurovision !

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
The winner may be invited as an interval act for a semi final but that's it - I don't need them in Eurovision (especially if they perform another song in English)

This is a joke

Marcos C

Remember this story from 16 months ago?

Up until now, nothing more has happened in that regard. This tells me that no Canadian broadcaster is enthusiastic about the concept of Eurovision. Therefore, Canada's participation in ESC is not going to happen, not even as a guest.

esc87fan

As a Canadian ESC fan, my answer is no. There's little to no excitement in my country over the contest outside the fan bubble, and I bet not a lot of Canadians even know that Celine Dion participated and won before she became a megastar

Another thing: scheduling. CBC/SRC is the Canadian associate member of the EBU, however their schedules are very much set (Toronto is 6 hours behind CET, so we watch here at 3 in the afternoon). Depending on when the contest proper is scheduled, it could conflict with more important programming such as the NHL playoffs

Omni Television, a multicultural channel on basic cable, did air the show in 2019 (on same day delay) and 2021(semis live, final on delay) - it was supposed to air in 2020 but then the cancellation happened due to the pandemic, then they lost the rights in 2022

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
it seems to me they're desperate to make Eurovision a global brand with spin offs all over the place but it's clearly not sticking. Asia version was dead before it started & Americas version is in a coma on life support. I can't see Canadas version taking off at all and while i'm lowkey kinda interested to see how the Latin America one turns out as I feel that was real potential I'm skeptical of its success.

Lance Esgard

Remember this story from 16 months ago?

Up until now, nothing more has happened in that regard. This tells me that no Canadian broadcaster is enthusiastic about the concept of Eurovision. Therefore, Canada's participation in ESC is not going to happen, not even as a guest.
Something did happen, in that in May 2023 it was quietly put on indefinite hiatus per comments made at a Liverpool press conference by Martin Österdahl. So it is for all intents and purposes dead.

Top Bottom