Contact us

Canada 🍁WV 185: Great Big Sea - When I'm Up (I Can't Get Down)

esc87fan

xCAi0i2.png

Team Canada Info
Current Juror: esc87fan (WV46-WV85, WV93-)
Best Finish: 1st place, WV 146, WV 167
Hostings: WV 61 Toronto, WV 137 Vancouver, WV 147 St. John's, WV 168 Winnipeg

hQl6LCv.png

Last edited:

esc87fan

BREAKING NEWS FROM CTV:

Following the conclusion of the 163rd edition of WorldVision in Potsdam, Germany, it was revealed that the host German votes were not submitted in time in both semifinals 24 hours prior to the pre-arranged deadlines, and were not counted. Brazil's entry "Follow Me" and Canada's entry "Lover of Mine" were originally eliminated from the competition when it was revealed that both would have qualified from their respective semifinals - Brazil from semifinal 1 and Canada from semifinal 2.

To compensate for this error, the organizers of WorldVision as well as host broadcaster NBC Western USA have granted both Brazil and Canada prequalified status for the final of the 164th edition in Seattle.

As such, CTV is now on the hunt for the right entry to reflect this news.

esc87fan

80s rock is returning to WV after qualifying in Serbia with Honeymoon Suite. I hope you will like what I chose this time! xpokerface

Amir

Veteran
woah, I only noticed now you sent my suggestion xshifty xshifty

esc87fan

I've made the decision to sit out WV 170 and take a 1-edition break. It's been a great run recently with entries I thought wouldn't qualify actually making it, a scoring error in 163 leading to a PQ and a top 5 in 164, a victory in 167 and a successful hosting in 168.

With all that said, I haven't slept well lately. And with Eurovision just around the corner plus who knows what's going to go on in real life, I think this is the right time to just rest and recharge. I really want to give a huge thank you to everyone in the WV community for your amazing support, it's friends like you that keep me going in this game showing you all sides of music from my country.

I have to start thinking of something special to send in the next little while, as June 27 marks the 10th anniversary of when I started my WorldVision journey.

Of course you'll see a vote from me in the current edition's final, but after that I will see you all again in 171!

Cheers!

Steph :ca:

esc87fan

PERSONAL NOTE:

As a former juror for Switzerland, Tina Turner's death hits hard for me because I sent her to WV just a short time after she became a permanent Swiss resident. I sent this classic to WV 23, which surprisingly finished mid-table. Please enjoy, and let's celebrate her incredible music and legacy for years to come.

RIP Tina :ch:

esc87fan

I'm back, everyone!

As I mentioned before, this month (specifically June 27) marks 10 years since I joined the WV community. Through 3 countries and hundreds of songs, through the ups and downs and all the friendships I've made, it has been an incredible ride thus far. There's so much I want to say in the coming weeks, and I hope you too can share some of your favorite memories

I wanted to find a song that conveyed my thanks and love to all of you for this journey that I've taken, and I believe I've found it. I hope that during the semifinals you'll find out my reasoning behind it.

esc87fan

Memories of a 10-Year Journey: Part 1
:ch::ca::jp:

It all started with a rushed national final, a coin toss, and a running gag...

When I first joined WV in June 2013, I had opted to take Switzerland because I wanted to challenge myself. So after submitting my intention to join, I started looking for my first entry - and quickly because the deadline for WV 15 was not too far off. I had settled on a 2-song national final with an artist named Jackie (whose bandmate was the lead singer of Takasa, the 2013 Swiss representatives), and it ended in a tie after 6 people voted. I then decided to break the tie by flipping a coin: heads for song 1, tails for song 2. It landed on heads, and resulted in me taking this song for my debut:

It didn't fare so well, finishing in 18th place in its semifinal with 18 points, but of course I was just starting out. I gave my first ever 12 points in a WorldVision final to Australia ("What You've Done To Me" by Samantha Jade) and laughed along with everyone else as "Empty" dominated our minds (a result of Dalmatia being disqualified after qualifying from the semi). Who would have thought I'd still remember it after all these years!​

esc87fan

The First Qualification

It was time to decide what I was going to do for WV 16, thankfully Paper7 (who's Swiss himself) pointed me in the right direction by sending me a list of potential suggestions. I took several of them and created a larger-scale national final. It was an exciting voting sequence with one song coming up the middle and winning by 1 point: DJ Antoine's "Sky is the Limit"

It was a surprise to see the song qualify from the second semifinal. And though it finished near the bottom of the pile, it was just fantastic to reach my first final as well as contribute to the highest-scoring WV entry of all time: Queen's "The Show Must Go On"

The First Top 10

After finishing runner-up to DJ Antoine in the WV 16 national final, 2008 Swiss ESC representative Paolo Meneguzzi finally got his chance after winning the "Second Chances" national final: a face-off between the runner-up songs of the last 3 Swiss selections. In my 5th participation as Swiss juror, I took Paolo's song "Sei Amore" into WV 19 Helsinki.

Switzerland had the honor of opening the entire competition as pole position in the first semifinal and earned yet another qualification. While a huge battle was going on between the Fox (Norway) and the Wolf (Svealand) with the latter triumphing, Paolo's song finished 9th - my first WV top 10! In regular voting, it finished tied for 13th with the Faroe Islands, but qualified as a result of winning the semifinal 1 REJU vote​

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary, Steph!

Top Bottom