9 4.3%

8 3.8%

12 5.7%

7 3.3%

8 3.8%

11 5.2%

• Total voters

Franzilein

Seriously? I don't think that your average ESC viewer even watched the semi finals or had any interest in them at all, as it wasn't broadcasted on the big channels and Germany doesn't need to take part in them. Heck, even San Marino managed to get a point from the public voting, pretty sure the SF's were only of interest to the "real fans".
And it's not like there was huge coverage of him anyway, lol. Most of the viewers couldn't care less about it, they only watch the ESC for a night and forget about it the next day. You should probably step outta the ESC bubble for once and ask the casual viewers if they even remember Kristian's name, haha (or any name, really).

Edit: I'd also really like to read one of these omnious articles. Any links?

Realest

https://www.taz.de/Archiv-Suche/!5405722&s=jan+feddersen&SuchRahmen=Print/

Mann oder Frau – oder doch Mann, dem Bartwuchs fehlt? Ist das nicht einerlei? Schwulster Beitrag des Abends

In English: "Man or Woman - or Man without beard? Isnt it the Same? Most Gayest Entry of the evening

http://diepresse.com/home/kultur/so...ulgariens-Kandidat-wuerde-Trophaee-zerstoeren

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellsc...l-bei-sieg-trophaee-zerschlagen-15013965.html

They didnt mentioned that it was a (very unfunny) joke or that he meant metaphorically that he wants to share the trophy with his delegation.

http://www.taz.de/!t5014243/

Again Jan Feddersen, the selfcalled "ESC-Expert". Seems like he forgot to mention that he was only 14 back then and the the law didnt exist yet.

Franzilein

And you really think that thousands and thousands of people read these specific articles and thought: "Yep, that one journalist got it all right. Screw my personal preferences in music and my own opinion, that kid is bad / song is gay / ..." He also disliked Blanche for example, yet she got 10 points from the public.

Sorry, that just seems so delusional :D Were these articles even in the printed edition? That one article about the trophy isn't even offensive in any way.

Realest

I just picked up a few examples, im sure in a few minutes i would find a lot more.
Of Course the impact is not too strong, bit it cant be demented that there is an impact. You see something similar in the Ukraine where he got his worst Jury and Televotes-Results one day after making this bad "joke".

Kashone

Gery-Nikol released the version of the song she took part in the selection with (and was almost choosen)

Realest

Its a good song, but Kristian was defintive the better choice.

Gery-Nikol released the version of the song she took part in the selection with (and was almost choosen)

Oh damn! Imagine the staging that this song could get.
That's what I call ''Beautiful Mess''!

DaFlo

Banned
Bulgarian version >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> English version.

If she gets chosen next year no english pls

John1

Seriously? I don't think that your average ESC viewer even watched the semi finals or had any interest in them at all, as it wasn't broadcasted on the big channels and Germany doesn't need to take part in them. Heck, even San Marino managed to get a point from the public voting, pretty sure the SF's were only of interest to the "real fans".
And it's not like there was huge coverage of him anyway, lol. Most of the viewers couldn't care less about it, they only watch the ESC for a night and forget about it the next day. You should probably step outta the ESC bubble for once and ask the casual viewers if they even remember Kristian's name, haha (or any name, really).

This is so delusional and supernatural at the same time. I think that the German viewers were so desperate that they decided to vote for San Marino and attempt to grant Valentina :12: points (they only achieved ten percent of their purpose... :lol:) in order to help Levina get rid of the strongest contenders of this year's contest and thus making Kristian fail to qualify and prevent her from ending up last. She almost did though by one point. She almost succeeded in reaching last place. :lol: Levina was hugely determined to break an Eurovision record. xrollinglol

Franzilein

I just picked up a few examples, im sure in a few minutes i would find a lot more.
Of Course the impact is not too strong, bit it cant be demented that there is an impact. You see something similar in the Ukraine where he got his worst Jury and Televotes-Results one day after making this bad "joke".

You will also find many, many positive articles about him, even after the semi final, as many considered him a favourite.
I just think he just didn't stand out as much for the average viewer who listened to the songs for the first time (as I've experienced myself with my friends). In a sea full of ballads, entries like Romania's or Moldova's were just way more memorable for the audience.

And just to make it clear, I loved Bulgaria this year. I just don't see how small, minor reports (or rather personal blogs like Feddersen's) that only people who really dig after them can find, could change the opinion of millions of viewers. It's kinda out of proportion :D

Realest

Well, We'll never find out, but its nontheless its very shameful.

Franzilein

Well, We'll never find out, but its nontheless its very shameful.

Why shameful? Nah, it's rather a bit dissapointing, that is something I can agree upon :-) Would've loved to see him winning or receiving our twelve points, kid is insanely gifted. But oh well, I'm actually satisfied with both the jury and the public voting xshrug

Franzilein

[can be deleted, lol]

CaspianMortis

I really liked Bulgaria's entry and would have much more preferred this to win than Portugal's snoozefest.

ESCKerli

Does Kristian do jazz? He was on Jazzport recently. I think it's a genre that actually would fit him more than singing "I want to buy a plane for mom" for a living xrofl2

Realest

In the End many Countries where Many Russians live (except :by: and :az: who gave him 12) gave him underaverage ( below 8.22) Televotescores
like the 7 Points from :lv: :lt: :ee: :am: :ge: ,
the 5 Points from :de: and the 2 Points from :ua: .

On the Other Side Countries who usually not vote much for :ru: like :uk: , :mt: , :dk: and :es: gave him overaverage Televotescores. Especially the 12 Points from :uk: were the biggest surprise, since i thought that :pl: would be unbeatable for anybody. So it seems that he didnt get many Points due to Russian Diasporavotes and that he got all his points due to his skills.

Realest

Still think he should have won.

tuorem

My review of "Beautiful Mess" (better late than never):

-Bulgaria made a u-turn last year when they radically changed their ESC approach and were rewarded for it. Personally, Bulgaria has always been on my map because I've liked most of their unsuccessful/unpopular entries ("Samo Shampioni" was quite decent in its genre, and "Illusion", "Angel Si Ti", "Love Unlimited" are still fresh jams to me). This year, they've of course built on their best placing ever by honouring their newly-found high-end mainstream pop segment. "Beautiful Mess" - a grandiloquent electro-pop ballad that definitely would fit the current radio standards - was born. A piano base and a vocal-distortion loop (or is it a synth? I don't know) are used as an intro, before they are replaced by quiet and sparse arrangements during the first verse, allowing Kristian's voice to shine while setting an oddly intimate atmosphere. The vocal lines are soothing and flowing nicely imo, and the pauses/silences help emphasising them. The first chorus then kicks off with background synths and fading electric guitar, which is a choice I approve of, for many Eurovision entries tend to go loud as quickly as possible or reach a plateau that ends up being quite frustrating. Following the chorus, the transition to the second verse features the vocal loop of the intro, along with trendy electro beats: that part is very efficient imo, at least it left an impact on me. The second verse follows the same melodic structure as the first one, the only difference is that the electric guitar and "dosed out" beats replaced the piano, so that the momentum created doesn't totally go to waste: I really like the percussion work here, a mixture of electro beats and organic ones that thankfully give the second chorus a bit more power. Another musical break (similar to the first one) ensues, with added ad-libs and background vocalises. Finally, we got another part of chorus with a slight vocal variation from Kristian. Overall, as far as the mainstream pop field is concerned, it's a competently-written song with a rather good melody and arrangements that made it sound current and high-end within the Eurovision bubble. However, despite the efforts put into this entry, I feel it lacks a bit of heart and originality: with "If Love Was A Crime", they had succeeded in mixing mass-appeal pop music with elements that gave an identity to the final product, and I don't see that in "Beautiful Mess". A chorus in Bulgarian, a musical twist, an arrangement change... something unexpected would have been welcome imo (hence why, out of the three songs from Borislav Milanov this year, "In Too Deep" and its ear-catching elements has become my favourite). Pros: professional production, 2017-sounding arrangements, nice melody and build up overall. Cons: lacks that spark of originality to really be a banger to me.

My favourite part of the song is definitely the musical break following the first verse, it's full of power, I really like it.

-Vocally, Kristian is a skillful singer, tone-wise he's got a rather mature quality in his voice, even though his voice does sound his age (am I making sense? :lol:). Contrary to his competitors Isaiah and Anja, he didn't merely sang the notes but put a certain amount of emotion in his performance. I'm not saying he was poignant to such an extent that he brought me to tears (that would be exaggerated), but he did perform in an unexpectedly delicate and tasteful way to me. I appreciated both his performances (by the way, the live version knocks the studio version off). On a sidenote, I'm officially giving the "Francesca Michielin Award" (meaning the cutest contestant of the year) to him, like... it should be illegal to look that cute tbh. His Kazakh origins are speaking for themselves I guess :D

-Visually, Bulgarians have done it again! I like how twice in a row they succeeded in staging their song in a way that comes across as expensive, appropriate and eventful without looking too much. Kristian was all alone on stage, yet I felt like he filled it perfectly. I liked the overall sparsity of visuals that fit the relative starkness of the music, the use of black and white with hints of colour (while remaining borderline monochromatic) was just what was needed: less was more. The camera work was on point, there was a good balance of close-ups and wide angles imo. They used the LED chandelier to display clouds in motion, I hope Omar Naber noticed he could have done something cool with it as well. :? During my favourite part (remember the musical break), it's where the whole presentation came to life with flashing lights, digital drawing-like insertions (which I found very tasteful in this case) and the sensation of space (or void?) given by the pared-down visuals on the main background screen. I liked the "camera jolts" a lot, like with Artsvik, I think it gave an edgier varnish to the presentation. The second visual highlight to me was during the bridge when the background screen displayed rain and flashing lights, I also approved of the box (or should I say window?) that strangely and surely structured the whole thing. Choreography-wise, Kristian's gestures and poses were slick and not try-hard-looking (unlike Hovig for instance). Finally, I 100% got behind his outfit, he and I have the same type of morphology and this type of elegant avant-garde-is clothes is right up my alley as well, I would rock this if I had the chance to stumble upon something similar :cool: (especially the jacket xheart). To sum up, thumbs up to the Bulgarian team for staging the song so well, there was something almost poetic going on about this starkness and sparse elements used here and there, the colour scheme was awesome, and everything came together. Well done!

-Results-wise, I couldn't stay away from odds and forum comments, so I knew roughly what to expect from Kristian's fate in Kiev. :p Of course, Bulgaria qualified, then they reached the second place in the competition: not bad at all for a nation that has been slept on for years (the final battle between Bulgaria, Portugal and Moldova was both refreshing and hilarious: who would have imagined that? :lol:). While my opinion on the song has changed a bit over the last couple of months, I objectively think Bulgaria did deserve such a place, for their package was one of the strongest this year imo (I expected Kristian to be the juries' favourite tbh). Musically though, I maintain "If Love Was A Crime" was a stronger effort due to it retaining some kind of originality. But congrats to Bulgarians anyway, you guys must have been thrilled! I for sure wouldn't have been mad had Kristian won (I mean Bulgaria's first victory would have been such a party), yet I'm glad Salvador took the crown, simply because musically and performance-wise it is what the contest needed imo. People may come for me for saying this but in terms of legacy, the best winners to me are the ones who bring something different from the mass, "Beautiful Mess" would have been gratifying as a winning entry because Eurovision would have been (for once) in line with today's current mainstream music, but it wouldn't have held the symbolism "Amar Pelos Dois" has. Anyway, in my personal ranking, "Beautiful Mess" started at 3rd place to eventually be downgraded to 9th place. I still like the song but other entries have grown on me over time, and I'm aware already that that song won't be as evergreen as "If Love Was A Crime", which was my second favourite song last year. I totally support the Bulgarian team since they're doing marvelous work. I hope they'll keep their standards high, I just wish they don't totally "blend in" next time, I'm convinced Bulgaria can win with a song that's got more texture and identity (fingers crossed for Bulgarian language too). Best of luck in Lisbon xkiss

Top Bottom