Contact us

Biggest flops in national contests after flawed live performances?

jatojo

It happens quite often: A song that has been hyped before the live shows fails miserably on stage and doesn't even come close to winning the national final.

For me, these are the most noticeable examples from recent years (and I may have forgotten others):

1. Maria Celin, "Freya", Norway 2023
2. Jasmin Rose feat. RoxorLoops, "Human", Denmark, 2020
3. Gram-Of-Fun, "Lost In A Dance", Estonia, 2021
4. Teflon Bros. & Pandora, "I Love You", Finland, 2021

This is also something that contributes to the suspense and progression of Eurovision - that there are studio versions from which favourites arise while there is still everything to play for when the live shows begin.

Last edited:

Realest

8c85ba7287facc0cee7bccc79da782dc79ae9b51.gif

empo21

Veteran
Off the top of my head:
  • France 2018 June the Girl - Same
  • UK 2018 Asanda - Legends
  • France 2019 Florina - In The Shadow
  • Sweden 2021 Kadiatou - One Touch

simori95

Germany 2014 Madeline Juno - Like Lovers Do

jatojo

Poland - Margaret - Cool me down

Lol. The most positive things to say about this performance: She is pretty, and she doesn't seem nervous. The rest - including her dress - screams amateur.

simori95

Thanks! It's a bit like Roxen, isn't it? Trying to sound unique and ending up sounding like too much at a time. ;)
I wouldn’t say she was desperately trying to sound unique. I think the nerves got to her and she lost control. I mean I think her (studio) Voice WAS unique, but it’s not like she‘s pretending. Her voice is actually quite authentic but the loss of control turned it from a fairy-like voice into at times sea-lion territory. Now that she is a more experienced artist, she sounds much better live though (imo).

HarryUK

Veteran
Definitely Legends by Asanda in 2018 for :uk:

Perhaps this was just me but Rijeka by Nina Kraljić in 2021 for :hr:... I was obsessed and was adamant she'd get top 3 in Rotterdam :ROFLMAO: then I saw the staging...

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I wouldn’t say she was desperately trying to sound unique. I think the nerves got to her and she lost control. I mean I think her (studio) Voice WAS unique, but it’s not like she‘s pretending. Her voice is actually quite authentic but the loss of control turned it from a fairy-like voice into at times sea-lion territory. Now that she is a more experienced artist, she sounds much better live though (imo).

She actually replied to my comment on a youtube video once. It was some years ago, but iirc she said she had some sound issues she couldn't get around and was riddled with nerves that made the performance suffer.

simori95

She actually replied to my comment on a youtube video once. It was some years ago, but iirc she said she had some sound issues she couldn't get around and was riddled with nerves that made the performance suffer.
Yeah she actually also said that in an interview in 2021, but I didn’t want to use it as an excuse

esc87fan

"Seule" by SOA (Eurovision France 2022). The duo won quite a few fan polls on the various sites, but their live on the night was horrible and they flopped hard with the jury (second last) despite finishing 3rd overall in the final behind Alvan & Ahez and Pauline

Jay25

Frozen Silence by Fahrenhaidt. What a trainwreck on stage...

(EDIT: and overall: what a trainwreck of a national final 😅)

Ezio

Veteran
Top Bottom