Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

PolarFoxxie.

Sorry PolarFoxxie, you are utterly disrespectful. Please google it yourself and stay away from me for further comments. I hope you find more joy discussing about Latvia

oh I found it for you

Ohh so you don't have answer or at least a good one how did you get to 40 hypotetical points in the future for makemakes who got 0 point and who would vote for it. What countries??? And how did you get to number 4th overall for Austria. Did you use placement ranking method, 25th, Nathan middle of the road, 3rd, 1st. Or points method. 0, 50, 290, 220 points. By my statistica makemakes would get 0 points. Just like they did and austria is overall 27th, not 4th. I just like you don't have any explanation to how I got to those numbers. But for me 0 points for automatic qualifier isn't a definition of success and "great era of Austria". So what do I know, maybe ezio is right. Hmmm:(:confused:

Last edited:

marty

I think it’s a matter of how confident they feel… I mean with LUM!X they seemed to be pretty sure regarding the qualification (at least at the moment of chossing them
I would not mind sending a song in german to eurovision but I dont see many acts that would work internationally. even bilderbuch or wanda would need a real good song. Obviously Eberhard Forcher and the jury would have chosen "Das Meer". Its a nice song but even with their fans it did not become a hit. so I dont understand why this song was among the final two.

Lindon

Sammy

Veteran
I would not mind sending a song in german to eurovision but I dont see many acts that would work internationally. even bilderbuch or wanda would need a real good song. Obviously Eberhard Forcher and the jury would have chosen "Das Meer". Its a nice song but even with their fans it did not become a hit. so I dont understand why this song was among the final two.
me neither! :lol:

marty

I just now came across the new version of Loin d'ici.

For me this does not work, though Leonardo is a talented singer. I would love to see Zoe back at eurovision with a cooler song.

marty

Perhaps we should look for an artist with a catchy personality and instant appeal. There are a few Austrian acts that stand out of the crowd at first sight but also can deliver good quality.

Oskar Haag

W1ZE

NIQTIN

Lou Asril

Christl

Ezio

Veteran
#1 in yt at the moment

marty

Visions of Atlantis seem to be in the race again for 2023. Their music is very outdated but at least they can sing ....
This was their entry for 2022.

Ezio

Veteran
Their music is so cliché, winners are carved out from a different wood. There is a lack of je-ne-sais-quoi.

If they perform at Eurovision, viewers will feel, okay that was that, what's up next?

marty

Their music is so cliché, winners are carved out from a different wood. There is a lack of je-ne-sais-quoi.

If they perform at Eurovision, viewers will feel, okay that was that, what's up next?
I am a bit disappointed since it seems that ORF did not change the concept for the selection process. Eberhard Forcher again is scouting. Maybe it was just bad luck the last three years.....
There might not be any other act as renown and experienced as Visions of Atlantis in the selection. They have a lot of fans throughout Europe and even overseas. But thats what we said about LUM!X as well. His fans did not help.
The male voice really is brilliant, and they can put up a great show for sure. I think there are enough people who like that kind of rock. So if the have a good song maybe that would be a save choice. But I would rather go for a modern song or something edgy.

Ezio

Veteran
EDM has a much bigger fan base than this kind of outdated rock. Austria should rather choose something more approachable and not occupy the next quirky niche no one cares for.

aef

Visions of Atlantis seem to be in the race again for 2023. Their music is very outdated but at least they can sing ....
This was their entry for 2022.

I could life quite well with this choice… it’s not my music at all but I would enjoy a song like melancholy angel at Eurovision. MA has been one of their stronger songs though, they would need to bring something as good as this next year.

They could do very well with televoters, the audience loves songs with a theme, just look at rhe :dk: vikings for example.

aef

Perhaps we should look for an artist with a catchy personality and instant appeal. There are a few Austrian acts that stand out of the crowd at first sight but also can deliver good quality.

Oskar Haag

W1ZE

NIQTIN

Lou Asril

Christl
I still want Lou Asril. It would be a modern choice with huge potential if he gets a strong song like Friek.

marty

I still want Lou Asril. It would be a modern choice with huge potential if he gets a strong song like Friek.
Lou Asril also would be my first choice. He did not bring out any new songs for a while so maybe..... But I guess he is not interested in ESC.

Mainshow

Veteran
I beg to differ and I heavily disagree with some statements above.

We haven´t had a Symphonic Metal band at Eurovision before and therefore, it´s not even slightly possible to predict how Visions of Atlantis would perform.

Also, "that type of outdated rock" is not "outdated" at all. It´s Symphonic Metal and it should sound like that. Unlike pop music, metal doesn´t really follow any trends or progress that fast. Of course, you have "modern" influences like the current stuff released by Amaranthe, Beyond The Black or Within Temptation but they have been influenced by Nu-Metal and some of their hardcore fanbase claim that it sounds like Linkin Park (and therefore, one could argue that it´s also "outdated"). We simply can´t apply pop music standards to metal - they don´t get outdated that fast - Epica basically releases the same type of style like 20 years ago - the recording techniques simply changed/progressed and their vocals improved but the music/genre stayed the same.
It´s Symphonic Metal - as the name of the genre already implies, it got symphonic/classic/operatic elements (or they even make up more than 50% of that genre) - classic compositions are timeless - Symphonic Metal is not chasing any trends.

I also beg to differ when it comes to the "EDM fans outnumbers fans of this outdated rock" statement. Granted, the total number of people who listen to EDM outnumbers the Symphonic Metal but the latter are more faithful and loyal to their favourite acts. Fanbases of bands such as Within Temptation, Epica, Visions of Atlantis, Delain travel around Europe to queue up for festivals, they still buy physical copies of their albums, box sets, they know all/most of their songs (even non-singles), get their skin inked (by band logos, verses of their songs) - they spent their money on supporting their favourites acts.
Can this be said about Lumix? or most DJ´s? - They usually have one or two big hits and they got even heavily played in clubs or people end up streaming them online (for free). Having many scrobbles on Spotify due to a single hit doesn´t make you have "many fans". - That´s why I strongly believe that ORF should have gone with Visions of Atlantis this year - Symphonic Metal fans are very loyal/dedicated.
Lumix hasn´t even released a single album yet.

Honestly, San Marino could have even flopped with Burak Yeter like Finland did with Darude - people simply know one - maybe two songs by them - millions of people having heard a single song doesn´t turn them into fans - and I can assure you that a well-established band "of that outdated rock genre" would have generated more votes.

Symphonic Metal is meant to be "symphonic, dramatic, bombastic" - the lyrics deal with religion, death, science, the human nature - it may sound "cheesy" to you but honestly, it´s not worse than ordinary pop music or what we´ve heard in Eurovision so far.

What I´m trying to say: Symphonic Metal isn´t outdated, we haven´t heard a band from that genre in Eurovision and there is clearly a demand and their fanbase is big enough to make an impact (Within Temptation just scored their first #1 album in Germany with their latest record) - thus, ORF should give it a try (or any other country). At least, you can be sure that all of their lead vocalists can sing and hit notes.

marty

I beg to differ and I heavily disagree with some statements above.

We haven´t had a Symphonic Metal band at Eurovision before and therefore, it´s not even slightly possible to predict how Visions of Atlantis would perform.

Also, "that type of outdated rock" is not "outdated" at all. It´s Symphonic Metal and it should sound like that. Unlike pop music, metal doesn´t really follow any trends or progress that fast. Of course, you have "modern" influences like the current stuff released by Amaranthe, Beyond The Black or Within Temptation but they have been influenced by Nu-Metal and some of their hardcore fanbase claim that it sounds like Linkin Park (and therefore, one could argue that it´s also "outdated"). We simply can´t apply pop music standards to metal - they don´t get outdated that fast - Epica basically releases the same type of style like 20 years ago - the recording techniques simply changed/progressed and their vocals improved but the music/genre stayed the same.
It´s Symphonic Metal - as the name of the genre already implies, it got symphonic/classic/operatic elements (or they even make up more than 50% of that genre) - classic compositions are timeless - Symphonic Metal is not chasing any trends.

I also beg to differ when it comes to the "EDM fans outnumbers fans of this outdated rock" statement. Granted, the total number of people who listen to EDM outnumbers the Symphonic Metal but the latter are more faithful and loyal to their favourite acts. Fanbases of bands such as Within Temptation, Epica, Visions of Atlantis, Delain travel around Europe to queue up for festivals, they still buy physical copies of their albums, box sets, they know all/most of their songs (even non-singles), get their skin inked (by band logos, verses of their songs) - they spent their money on supporting their favourites acts.
Can this be said about Lumix? or most DJ´s? - They usually have one or two big hits and they got even heavily played in clubs or people end up streaming them online (for free). Having many scrobbles on Spotify due to a single hit doesn´t make you have "many fans". - That´s why I strongly believe that ORF should have gone with Visions of Atlantis this year - Symphonic Metal fans are very loyal/dedicated.
Lumix hasn´t even released a single album yet.

Honestly, San Marino could have even flopped with Burak Yeter like Finland did with Darude - people simply know one - maybe two songs by them - millions of people having heard a single song doesn´t turn them into fans - and I can assure you that a well-established band "of that outdated rock genre" would have generated more votes.

Symphonic Metal is meant to be "symphonic, dramatic, bombastic" - the lyrics deal with religion, death, science, the human nature - it may sound "cheesy" to you but honestly, it´s not worse than ordinary pop music or what we´ve heard in Eurovision so far.

What I´m trying to say: Symphonic Metal isn´t outdated, we haven´t heard a band from that genre in Eurovision and there is clearly a demand and their fanbase is big enough to make an impact (Within Temptation just scored their first #1 album in Germany with their latest record) - thus, ORF should give it a try (or any other country). At least, you can be sure that all of their lead vocalists can sing and hit notes.
If they really want to do eurovision there is not much to think over for ORF. I think that kind of music could do very well at eurovision. For Austria it could start similar to last year with quite a big interest in the song but in the end we would get a perfect live performance of course. hopefully with a huge amount of effort for the staging. that was very poor the last two years.

rasmuslights

Veteran
i find their music cringy, almost childish, unfortunately.

i'm not against this type of music since i like within temptation... visions of atlantics are not it at all for me...

that being said i do think they'd do decently at esc... i mean the juries would hate them, but televote could be decent.

i still think they should've selected anger last year. das meer is such a good song.

hungo

Any news in Austria? Will there be an internal selection again? I thought after three bad years they would change something.

marty

Any news in Austria? Will there be an internal selection again? I thought after three bad years they would change something.
the presentation of the 2023 program will be held on thursday. if ORF should go for a public selection they will mention it. but i dont think so.

Top Bottom