Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezio

Veteran

aef

I mean there is no definition of something like a "safe song". If we talk about nice little songs, mostly pop or ballads, that sound decently enough and that humiliate anyone than I'd say we had this in 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2021. 2013 and 2015 might have also qualified/ done well if we already had the split voting system back then.

2014 - outstanding, yet very risky choice.
2017 - also quite unique choice.
2018 - definitely the biggest high-quality choice of the last 20 years
2019 - more or less a last minute choice, very risky from the beginning on.
2020 - In my opinion this would have done decently with televoters and ended top 15.
2021 - again a choice with no real alternatives, probably the weakest song of the last decade.
2022 - Song with great potential, failed due to vocals and horrible staging.

Realest

Honestly, there´s nothing to worry about: Just take a look at 2011, for example, :rs: was ranked #14 in the televoting and wouldn´t have qualified (in fact, the JURIES saved it!) if the new system had already been applied. Televoters also placed :lt: #11 (again, the country wouldn´t have qualified but it got saved by the JURIES) and :al: #13.
:ch:, :hr: also voted in that semi (= :rs: received 12 pts) and it still wouldn´t have qualified.

In 2013, :rs: didn´t qualify, either and wasn´t part of the TELEVOTING Top 10 despite :mn: :hr: :at: :sl: voting for their entry.
Albania didn´t qualify in that year either and was ranked bottom 3 by the TELEVOTING.

2017: :rs: was ranked #11 by the televoters (= did not qualify) whilst the JURIES placed :rs: inside their Top 10. They didn´t qualify despite :ch: , :at: , :mk: , :hr: being able to vote for them.
:lt:, btw, was ranked bottom 4 by the televoters and didn´t qualify, either.

To cut a long story short.... There´s nothing to be worried about. Countries with a bigger diaspora and some sort of voting bloc might have a tiny/slight advantage to qualify but it´s minimal... in fact, televoting would have even not made them qualify (whilst the juries pushed them) in a few years. It´s balanced, for real.

Thus, the chances to qualify for :at: remain the same.

All of them could have qualified with a better Allocation Draw.

:al: 2022 and :lt: 2019 are good Examples where the Countries qualified (TV only) the Moment the Allocation Draw took place.

Mainshow

Veteran
Maybe they were good songs as well?
I voted for :lt: 2019 amd :al: 2022 was still a fan favourite (somehow like :pt: 2014 which also narrowly missed the final due to the juries).

Realest

Maybe they were good songs as well?
I voted for :lt: 2019 amd :al: 2022 was still a fan favourite (somehow like :pt: 2014 which also narrowly missed the final due to the juries).

At least :al: 2022 wouldnt have come close to qualifying (12th Place in the Average Televoting/ Bottom3 in 9 Countries) without their monstrous Voting Power.

Btw.. :rs: 2017 is another good Example for an Entry which would get 0 Points if represented by a normal Country like :ch::at::cz::mt: etc and came close to qualifying thanks to their Flag.

Ezio

Veteran
Serbia is just the best example of a country that can qualify with being mediocre or worse.

Without Montenegro in their semi, they wouldn't have qualified.

In the final they received 75 points from televoting, which is 4 points more than Cesar Sampson with a better-than-mediocre song

Received 12 points from :ch: :hr: :me: :sl:
Received 10 points from :mk:
Received 8 points from :at:
Received 7 points from :bg:

And that's basically it. Every year. The struggle of Serbia comes with the absence of voting allies.

A song like Nova Deca receiving 4 sets of 12's from the televoting is a big joke.

So, the juries are cast out from the semis, because they are too corrupt to vote apparently, but televotes are also way too corrupt, by demographics and affiliation. And the power of televote will produce lazier songs with freakier stagings going forward, I fear.

Mainshow

Veteran
:rs: 2018 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> :at: jurry-bait

I´ve voted for :rs: and it was in my Top 10 (and I still occassionally listen to it). It was more televoting-friendly than a well-produced and perfectly sung but kinda dated "Americanized" pop-gospel song.

You call it "mediocre" - I think it was incredible.

Realest

Average TV 2018.

1. Israel 4,238095238
2. Cyprus 5,238095238
3. Italy 6,023809524
4. Czech Republic 6,452380952
5. Denmark 7,666666667
6. Germany 8,595238095
7. Estonia 10,14285714
8. Moldova 10,73809524
9. Norway 11,0952381
10. Austria 11,42857143
11. France 12,35714286
12. Ukraine 12,9047619
13. Ireland 13,0952381
14. Hungary 13,21428571
15. Lithuania 13,78571429
16. Bulgaria 13,83333333
17. The Netherlands 15,14285714
18. Sweden 16,19047619
19. Serbia 16,5
20. Albania 16,64285714
21. Australia 16,95238095
22. United Kingdom 17,54761905
23. Finland 18,5952381
24. Slovenia 20,76190476
25. Spain 21,16666667
26. Portugal 22,95238095

Looks like Austria was much more popular than Serbia..
Anyway.. without Montenegro, Russia and Macedonia in the Competition, the Televoting will be much more balanced than usual, so TV only might work pretty well in the Semis.

Mainshow

Veteran
Impressive stats!
Poor Portugal :(

Btw, I have never said that a few countries benefit from neighbours/diaspora - I just think that the chances to qualify somehow remain the same (more or less).

Still curious to find out whether that "Poe" song is still the Austrian entry :D

hungo

Impressive stats!
Poor Portugal :(

Btw, I have never said that a few countries benefit from neighbours/diaspora - I just think that the chances to qualify somehow remain the same (more or less).

Still curious to find out whether that "Poe" song is still the Austrian entry :D
sure it is

Lindon

Whatever it will be, I hope ORF leaves its comfort zone and doesn't let Marvin Dietmann direct again. His stagings are too static and too dark.

simori95

Whatever it will be, I hope ORF leaves its comfort zone and doesn't let Marvin Dietmann direct again. His stagings are too static and too dark.
Well he got booked again by Germany, so if you’re lucky, he‘ll be occupied. At this stage however, your very Poe-poe-poe-sitive Act will either be a positive or negative cringe-fest, there is hardly anything in between, and not even Dietmann could prohibit this garnering attention. We‘ll see if this can work in Austria‘s (and Edgar Allan Poe‘s Memorial‘s) favor. We know too little about the song yet. At this stage, I am horrified and I will make sure to address this during my next therapy session, but it COULD still work out great in the end. We‘ll see.

marty

I hope so too. But like Datura said I dont think that will happen. ORF is Marvin Dietmanns home, he doubtless is very successful, booked by many other countries, thus it would be strange if ORF would choose someone else. Some of his stagings for Austria were quite good, like 2014, 2018 and 2019. Just the last two years were really poor. But I think that is not only his fault but ORFs fault since they obviously had a very low budget for the stagings. I hope this year will be different. It seems to be a special song which needs a special staging.

Datura

I hope so too. But like Datura said I dont think that will happen. ORF is Marvin Dietmanns home, he doubtless is very successful, booked by many other countries, thus it would be strange if ORF would choose someone else. Some of his stagings for Austria were quite good, like 2014, 2018 and 2019. Just the last two years were really poor. But I think that is not only his fault but ORFs fault since they obviously had a very low budget for the stagings. I hope this year will be different. It seems to be a special song which needs a special staging.

i still think the staging in 2014 basically did not have a lot to with him, the background was great but i think the rest was conchita and to focus on her. it's not like that staging invented anything new or did anything creative (and it did not have to).

hm and about being so successful... i mean snap is basically one of the biggest hits of last year and it did very pooly so i dont think that staging did the song any favors tbh. i think some of those typical esc-art directors (like sacha jean baptiste aswell) are completely overrated

marty

i still think the staging in 2014 basically did not have a lot to with him, the background was great but i think the rest was conchita and to focus on her. it's not like that staging invented anything new or did anything creative (and it did not have to).

hm and about being so successful... i mean snap is basically one of the biggest hits of last year and it did very pooly so i dont think that staging did the song any favors tbh. i think some of those typical esc-art directors (like sacha jean baptiste aswell) are completely overrated
I meant successful in an economical way. He is very busy. I found the staging for snap really bad, same for Nathan Trent 2017. But on the other side he had number 1, 2 and 3 entries as well. And always it is difficult to say what the contribution of the staging was for a good or a bad result.

Datura

I meant successful in an economical way. He is very busy. I found the staging for snap really bad, same for Nathan Trent 2017. But on the other side he had number 1, 2 and 3 entries as well. And always it is difficult to say what the contribution of the staging was for a good or a bad result.
ok i get u.
i'm just not a huge fan of his work, there is rarely something i really remember (positively) tbh

Ezio

Veteran
Marvin Dietmann committed several unforgiveable crimes that everyone seems to forget since he won with Conchita.

Conchita’s staging was simple yet effective. However I think she could have won with another stage director also.

Simple is all he does. He completely ruined The Makemakes with this basic and gloomy staging. ORF could have at least shown off the cooler features of the stage with their home entry, and yet they made the most basic show of all, together with Slovenia and Norway that year.

He also turned Germany 2017 in with a show for the ZDF Fernsehgarten audience. Nathan Trent was equally bland.

The staging for Cyprus 2022 was utterly boring and drowsy. Halo a non-event, Amen staged for the funeral although quite tastefully but not effective at all.

snap could have done so much better, just look at the charts. This staging looked like a soaking paper commercial, terrible!

he did a good job with Cesar, although I didn’t like his mic was visible when half of his face was in the dark and Paenda, who got only herself to blame but this staging was mesmerizing. But simple still.

he has a poor record of collecting televotes with only one exception at the very beginning of his career. He is becoming the Ralph Siegel of staging.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Marvin Dietmann committed several unforgiveable crimes that everyone seems to forget since he won with Conchita.

Conchita’s staging was simple yet effective. However I think she could have won with another stage director also.

Simple is all he does. He completely ruined The Makemakes with this basic and gloomy staging. ORF could have at least shown off the cooler features of the stage with their home entry, and yet they made the most basic show of all, together with Slovenia and Norway that year.

He also turned Germany 2017 in with a show for the ZDF Fernsehgarten audience. Nathan Trent was equally bland.

The staging for Cyprus 2022 was utterly boring and drowsy. Halo a non-event, Amen staged for the funeral although quite tastefully but not effective at all.

snap could have done so much better, just look at the charts. This staging looked like a soaking paper commercial, terrible!

he did a good job with Cesar, although I didn’t like his mic was visible when half of his face was in the dark and Paenda, who got only herself to blame but this staging was mesmerizing. But simple still.

he has a poor record of collecting televotes with only one exception at the very beginning of his career. He is becoming the Ralph Siegel of staging.

slovenia, austria and norway were one of the best stagings that year imo. i love simplicity.

Lindon

Last edited:
Top Bottom