Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MopManMoss

Veteran
Why do you think so. I mean only because she has got balkan roots, I don't think she is well known in :rs:?
Stefan managed to get 12 in the televote from Armenia last year just for being ethnically Armenian I think if a commentator mentions it could absolutely influence serbian voting

aef

Stefan managed to get 12 in the televote from Armenia last year just for being ethnically Armenian I think if a commentator mentions it could absolutely influence serbian voting
Well yes, true that, it could happen but I somehow think that this effect would not be so strong in :rs:. But we will see :)

Ezio

Veteran
I think it's crazy how the ESC media is ignoring all the buzz and it's also sad, because they are not independent and cancellable by the EBU.

aef

I think it's crazy how the ESC media is ignoring all the buzz and it's also sad, because they are not independent and cancellable by the EBU.
Why should they write articles about unofficial buzz when we get the official announcement anyway next week?

ChiversLookDivine

The correct answer is that most ESC fansites and media are terrified of losing their accreditation as it is, they're certainly not going to report on leaks and spoilers and risk the EBU striking them from media lists.

That's literally what he said:lol:
Or at least i have interpreted it that way

oops I totally misinterpreted it as a comment about the act Austria are sending and not the media.

Last edited:

Franzilein

The problem is that mountain Germans are only good at PR. We convinced the world that the guy from Braunau was German and Beethoven was Austrian.

Haha, ain't that the truth :lol: Also never forget Christoph Waltz' legendary take:

But to be on-topic; I love the contrast where I talked with a few people about potential Austrian candidates like Visions of Atlantis a few pages prior; and now we're faced with this. ORF's theme this year apparently is go hard or go home :lol:

Ezio

Veteran
Haha, ain't that the truth :lol: Also never forget Christoph Waltz' legendary take:

But to be on-topic; I love the contrast where I talked with a few people about potential Austrian candidates like Visions of Atlantis a few pages prior; and now we're faced with this. ORF's theme this year apparently is go hard or go home :lol:
I think the most similar neighbour to Austria is Slovenia followed by the Czechia.

Vorarlberg is closer to Switzerland, while Tyrol, Salzburg and Upper Austria have similarities to Upper Bavaria.

Austrians always think Bavaria is their closest neighbour, but I would argue that Lower Bavaria, Munich and Franconia are already a stretch too far from Austrian culture.

Although the Bavarian and Austrian dialects are very similar, their accents are brutally different. Bavarian German is very deep-throated, while Austrian German is more high pitched.

And Austrians are very different from Viennese people in itself. Vienna is a subculture, a melting pot of nations from the Habsburg realm that didn't get along with each other well, so the micro-aggressions are in their DNA and part of their culture and attitude.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
the winners since 2010, thanks to juries, are way more decent and relevant, and so Eurovision as a whole.

I heavily disagree with you on this one.

The juries weren´t the reason why most winners won - the winners from 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018 would have won wihtout the juries anway. How did juries had any impact on making the winners "more decent and relevant"?

They didn´t really change the finalists (apart from 1-2 songs max. per semi) and they didn´t change the winners (apart from 2015 and 2019).

Personally, I´m curious about the new voting system because I think that Eurovision - as a whole - has changed and it has become more relevant in Central European/Western countries as well (charts (prior-Spotify-era))... like I said, "funny/joke entries" have become less popular in the late 00´s and even got snubbed by televoters... juries might have voted for some quality entries over the years but they also supported many generic pop songs and neglected songs which were more experimental, progressive and even contemporary.

If :at: submits a stupid/silly track, it´s up to their broadcaster not because of the "new rule". :at: submitted "Woki mit dem Popo" in 2012 (when juries were still around).

rasmuslights

Veteran
I heavily disagree with you on this one.

The juries weren´t the reason why most winners won - the winners from 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018 would have won wihtout the juries anway. How did juries had any impact on making the winners "more decent and relevant"?

They didn´t really change the finalists (apart from 1-2 songs max. per semi) and they didn´t change the winners (apart from 2015 and 2019).

Personally, I´m curious about the new voting system because I think that Eurovision - as a whole - has changed and it has become more relevant in Central European/Western countries as well (charts (prior-Spotify-era))... like I said, "funny/joke entries" have become less popular in the late 00´s and even got snubbed by televoters... juries might have voted for some quality entries over the years but they also supported many generic pop songs and neglected songs which were more experimental, progressive and even contemporary.

If :at: submits a stupid/silly track, it´s up to their broadcaster not because of the "new rule". :at: submitted "Woki mit dem Popo" in 2012 (when juries were still around).

But they still had a massive impact on the results. not everything is about winning. Maro and Amanda, also S10 would not have done as well as they did without the juries, which I'd think it would be unfair.

DanielLuis

But they still had a massive impact on the results. not everything is about winning. Maro and Amanda, also S10 would not have done as well as they did without the juries, which I'd think it would be unfair.
But that is precisely the point.

These entries would have done exactly the same in the current system. They would have made it out of the semi-finals, and they would get exactly the same placements in the final. Maybe even a bit higher actually, because Albania and Cyprus probably would get nearly 0 from the juries in the final, and thus Azerbaijan and Switzerland's jury points would have to be redistributed among the jury darlings anyway.

In fact, entries of these types, which are strong enough to do well with televoters in the semi-finals anyway, are the ones that will benefit the most from this change, because if anything they'll have less competition for the jury votes in the final.

rasmuslights

Veteran
But that is precisely the point.

These entries would have done exactly the same in the current system. They would have made it out of the semi-finals, and they would get exactly the same placements in the final. Maybe even a bit higher actually, because Albania and Cyprus probably would get nearly 0 from the juries in the final, and thus Azerbaijan and Switzerland's jury points would have to be redistributed among the jury darlings anyway.

In fact, entries of these types, which are strong enough to do well with televoters in the semi-finals anyway, are the ones that will benefit the most from this change, because if anything they'll have less competition for the jury votes in the final.

oh yeah don't get me wrong i don't mind the change that much... i was just talking about the comment that juries didn't change anything.

i am worried however that this rule does benefit countries such as serbia, albania, lithuania... since some of them have 12 points on lock from certain countries.

DanielLuis

oh yeah don't get me wrong i don't mind the change that much... i was just talking about the comment that juries didn't change anything.

i am worried however that this rule does benefit countries such as serbia, albania, lithuania... since some of them have 12 points on lock from certain countries.
Oh yeah, absolutely. These countries have a easier time grabbing that televoting 10th place when their entries are weaker, for sure.
I think that the change is wrong and I would prefer for things to stay as they were, but overall I don't think the impact results-wise will be as intense as some people think, despite small changes like that.

Mainshow

Veteran

I was referring to the comment that "juries changed all winners" (like making relevant entries win) which was clearly not the case (since the televoters would have voted the same songs as winners most of the time).

I agree with you, that they "saved" a few "quality entries" by giving them enough points so that they reached a better rank in the GF but when it comes to the WINNERS and SEMI FINALISTS, they basically didn´t change anything and thus, I strongly disagree with Eurofans claiming that Eurovision will be turning into a "circus" again (since the finalists would have been the same more and less and juries are still part of the GF, anyway)... if :at: decides to submit a silly/trashy/fun song to ESC (as they did back in 2012 when the juries were still part of the semi finals), it´s up to ORF and their internal selection process... and not because of "the rule change".

Mainshow

Veteran

Honestly, there´s nothing to worry about: Just take a look at 2011, for example, :rs: was ranked #14 in the televoting and wouldn´t have qualified (in fact, the JURIES saved it!) if the new system had already been applied. Televoters also placed :lt: #11 (again, the country wouldn´t have qualified but it got saved by the JURIES) and :al: #13.
:ch:, :hr: also voted in that semi (= :rs: received 12 pts) and it still wouldn´t have qualified.

In 2013, :rs: didn´t qualify, either and wasn´t part of the TELEVOTING Top 10 despite :mn: :hr: :at: :sl: voting for their entry.
Albania didn´t qualify in that year either and was ranked bottom 3 by the TELEVOTING.

2017: :rs: was ranked #11 by the televoters (= did not qualify) whilst the JURIES placed :rs: inside their Top 10. They didn´t qualify despite :ch: , :at: , :mk: , :hr: being able to vote for them.
:lt:, btw, was ranked bottom 4 by the televoters and didn´t qualify, either.

To cut a long story short.... There´s nothing to be worried about. Countries with a bigger diaspora and some sort of voting bloc might have a tiny/slight advantage to qualify but it´s minimal... in fact, televoting would have even not made them qualify (whilst the juries pushed them) in a few years. It´s balanced, for real.

Thus, the chances to qualify for :at: remain the same.

aef

Poe, Poe, Poe, Poe, Poe, Edgar Allan, Edgar Allan...

giphy.gif
Once it's in your head it stays there right? That's already a good thing for Eurovision. This either becomes the trainwreck of the year or it's going to be an iconic Eurovision moment. I think we will be entertained either way...

Franzilein

Once it's in your head it stays there right? That's already a good thing for Eurovision. This either becomes the trainwreck of the year or it's going to be an iconic Eurovision moment. I think we will be entertained either way...

Aye. Some said in the German thread today that we're finally taking risks again. My mind immediately went "What about any of these songs is "taking risks"? Have you seen Austria?" :lol: I honestly can't wait.

Ezio

Veteran
Well for Austria too take a risk would be to send a safe song to Eurovision and we did that in 2013, 2015, 2017, 2020

Realest

2011, 2018 (although very good), 2021 and 2022 were safe too.

Top Bottom