Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Chorizo

You need to suffer through my Austrian representation on this forum as well. Your choice what's worse :rolleyes:
Btw, what do the stars say about Eurovision 2024 in Sweden? Any astrological predictions yet?

Ezio

Veteran
Btw, what do the stars say about Eurovision 2024 in Sweden? Any astrological predictions yet?
As predicted by me, Jupiter in Aries propelled Käärijä to the highest heights in the popular vote.

Next we have Jupiter in Taurus. It starts next week and ends end of May 2024. We wont see the loud and crazy at the top of the scoreboard next year, but something sweet, gentle, or a bombastic ballad. Taurus is classical music sign the loves singing, and Jupiter is very benevolent in this sign. In 2011, Azerbaijan won with such a song and prevailed over a field of upbeat songs.

Venus is also in Taurus and Mars in Aries. Love is the air, because both planets stress the female and male sexuality in their respective signs, and Venus in Taurus loves the fine arts and most of all, music.

If Eurovision would be set for the 24th of May, Jupiter would already be in Gemini, but I don't think it will be held so late.

SpiritofKeiino

I don't think running order was the main reason for this doing bad in the televote. I just think it got lost on casual viewers. I said a few pages back that the staging was dull and lacked color and fun of the music video.
Interesting that jury ranked it higher, it's a fan favourite so maybe jury members had already followed its journey and seen the music video and were aware of the buzz in fandom.

Now honestly, when it all ended.

The song was composed as a joke. Melodical composition was like a joke. Moreso than Croatia which everyone called a joke. Diss me off if you want.

Lyrics also a joke. I wrote that indirectly already a month ago when I said I felt uncomfortable singing Oh mio padre there's a ghost in my body.

I also wrote earlier that both are vocally instable and clumsy performers. They didn't sound good and sovereign in their performance as Czechia did for example, regardless of their initial struggles.

It appeared as if that backing track with hard fat bass had eaten them up together with huge graphics around them.

Running order OK, it didn't help. But it wasn't impactful from the get go. It could have been dead last as Mae Muller, and it would end up maybe with 10 pts more in televote. That's it.

Just one more example how artists shouldn't rely on the hype created by the bubble, YTers, Crystal Balls etc., spend months on futile pre-parties where the WiWis persuade you you're a God, that just make you falsely believe you're a fav.

The Israeli girl was smart. Went nowhere. Practiced and got her otherwise standard vocal and staging to perfection and nailed it. Didn't spend 192292 hours on futile chats with Deban. 🤣

Lindon

Lindon has left the building, Lindon has left the building.

A-lister

Veteran
Sad how downvoted Austria was, but I stick to my opinion from the other day that the staging didn't live up to the song or fitted it very well. This song shouldn't have had such a scaled down staging :/ But with that said still a bummer, this is such a bop and will remain one of the entries from this year that I will continue play.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
The staging and effort felt astonishingly lowkey for what was such an infectious, hyped up song. The music video was great and as others have mentioned, they really should have played off of some of the fun ideas from it. Instead it felt kind of sterile and unmemorable (I wasn't into the red cloned dancers at all). Despite the song itself being possibly the catchiest of the year, it wasn't enough. Other upbeat party entries such as Finland, Israel, Belgium and even Poland ate Austria for breakfast in terms of bringing their songs alive. Opening the show though also didn't help. It was a great opener but that was the final nail in the coffin. I still voted for the entry as I love it. I wish it had done better.

Ajeje Brazorf

This was the only flop I actually predicted before Eurovision started. Since the first day "Who the hell is Edgar?" was out, it received great reviews and praises to be the most innovative and charismatic entry this year, yet I never seen that innovation or charisma in the song, nor in the performance. I remember asking to myself: "Austria seems to be appealing to the public, but will they vote for a song like this in a mixture of very different songs? Will it stand out?". My answer to that question was "No", and I'm sorry for our Austrian friends here but I actually get it right. Oh well, at least Austria improved their positition: being back in the Final and finishing mid-table is not that disgraceful. Time to build some momentum...

Last edited:

SpiritofKeiino

Does the poor televote for this song provide convincing evidence that the 'fan vote' makes very little difference overall and that the televote is overwhelmingly driven by casual viewers?
This song was a fan favourite, everyone was talking about it, video got a great reaction, it was 3rd in the scoreboard app I believe.

Ezio

Veteran
TV audience data provides hard facts that at the beginning of the show less people are watching than an hour later. Also, the recency bias in an chain of memorable events is psychologically proven. Besides Ukraine from #1, every country at this spot bombed in the televote.

Turkey won in 2004 a very close race from #4 thanks to diaspora and a reverse recap.

martin

Not good running order, but also this songs get probably helped a lot in semifinal 2 that Sweden, Finland, Norway and Israel was in semi 1. In final all the best songs from semi 1 come after and Austria get lost. I think they did a good job, but i was not very surpriced that they did not success in final

aef

This was the only flop I actually predicted before Eurovision started. Since the first day "Who the hell is Edgar?" was out, it received great reviews and praises to be the most innovative and charismatic entry this year, yet I never seen that innovation or charisma in the song, nor in the performance. I remember asking to myself: "Austria seems to be appealing to the public, but will they vote for a song like this in a mixture of very different songs? Will it stand out?". My answer to that question was "No", and I'm sorry for our Austrian friends here but I actually get it right. Oh well, at least Austria improved their positition: being back in the Final and finishing mid-table is not that disgraceful. Time to build some momentum...
You constantly keep calling it a flop - why did :at: come 2nd, close to winning, in the semi final then? :at: was mostly killed by running order in the final. And keep in mind that with only 10-20 additional points we would have been in the top 10 as the odds suggested.
I don't think running order was the main reason for this doing bad in the televote. I just think it got lost on casual viewers. I said a few pages back that the staging was dull and lacked color and fun of the music video.
Interesting that jury ranked it higher, it's a fan favourite so maybe jury members had already followed its journey and seen the music video and were aware of the buzz in fandom.
Ok so why did they end 2nd in the SF then?

aef

Now honestly, when it all ended.

The song was composed as a joke. Melodical composition was like a joke. Moreso than Croatia which everyone called a joke. Diss me off if you want.

Lyrics also a joke. I wrote that indirectly already a month ago when I said I felt uncomfortable singing Oh mio padre there's a ghost in my body.

I also wrote earlier that both are vocally instable and clumsy performers. They didn't sound good and sovereign in their performance as Czechia did for example, regardless of their initial struggles.

It appeared as if that backing track with hard fat bass had eaten them up together with huge graphics around them.

Running order OK, it didn't help. But it wasn't impactful from the get go. It could have been dead last as Mae Muller, and it would end up maybe with 10 pts more in televote. That's it.

Just one more example how artists shouldn't rely on the hype created by the bubble, YTers, Crystal Balls etc., spend months on futile pre-parties where the WiWis persuade you you're a God, that just make you falsely believe you're a fav.

The Israeli girl was smart. Went nowhere. Practiced and got her otherwise standard vocal and staging to perfection and nailed it. Didn't spend 192292 hours on futile chats with Deban. 🤣
You know you’re talking about how toxic and offensive everything got this year and then your writing sh** like this.

Ezio

Veteran
Preach it!
You know you’re talking about how toxic and offensive everything got this year and then your writing sh** like this.

crashworld

Veteran
The sound mixing of the vocals in some parts of the performance was just not good. The "Poe Poe Poe" part sounded ridiculously empty and soft. Not even the arena's chanting managed to help push the song further. The staging is just not dynamic and fun enough to match the vibes of the song.

But did the running order really impacted the chances? Originally I didn't think it had. But I went back to look at the past openers from 2010 to 2023 and tabulate the results (comparing their grand final and semi final televoting results).

Ignoring the factor like the quality of the opener VS the overall quality of the songs in semi-final & grand final (which is very subjective), It seems like there is trend of the televoting scores dropped pretty significantly for the opener compared to its SF televoting results. Another factor to consider is that because there is a bigger pool of songs to snatch the points. However, the difference is pretty significant, 7 occurrences out of the 11 have a decrease of at least close to 60%.

Interestingly, only 2010 and 2017 got an increment. And then Ukraine is the only outlier to have managed to get consistent televoting scores for SF and GF after the running order has been determined by the showrunners.

FWd4qk4.jpg

Ezio

Veteran
Norway on the other hand riled up their televote this year compared to semi. It happens all the time when the halves are switched.

Do you understand the difference between:

A) a review of one's melody, lyrics, vocal performance, staging and marketing

And

B) calling somebody's opinion or words "shit"?

Go check dictionary for words "insult" and "toxicity".

If my opinion about this song and performance somehow offends you personally, well my apologies, but I'm not sorry. I stayed within the limits of assessing someone's work, and did not derrange into personal insults or curses, like you did.

If you can't understand my impressions and you think I'm mean for no purpose, go check televote results. Might be clearer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom