And I'm stronger than angels
I'm fearless in danger
And I will bring dark to the light
Let me be your halo
'Cause we've been through hell and back in only one night​

Ezio

Veteran

ayzelto

The amount of pre recorded backing vocals there are insane. But they are allowed in Eurovision, so we cannot complain.

marty

there is already a discussion going on if this was a full playback. funny that even we austrians cant believe that she was singing live :D

Ezio

Veteran
It feels like playback and live at the same time. Not sure if juries would love that though. They should hire backing vocalists instead for Turin

Lindon

Come on, this is like judging the picture quality of an 8K TV via a 360p video on YouTube.

marty

It feels like playback and live at the same time. Not sure if juries would love that though. They should hire backing vocalists instead for Turin
thats not a surprise. you can hear it in the studio version that there is a lot of backing vocals.

Ezio

Veteran
Come on, this is like judging an 8K TV via a 360p video on YouTube.
Yeah it’s just a terrible quality. The other clips sound awful as well, hoping for a good audio version of tonight

aef

Hard to tell but I guess it’s at least partly live, you can hear it at the end of the clip in my opinion. Isn’t there any clear rule about singing live or not at the pre shows?

hungo

Yeah it’s just a terrible quality. The other clips sound awful as well, hoping for a good audio version of tonight
dont worry. you can only judge the ballads because nobody singing and clapping along.
but you can clearly hear her strong voice in the first verse.

Ezio

Veteran
dont worry. you can only judge the ballads because nobody singing and clapping along.
but you can clearly hear her strong voice in the first verse.
I also feel like the vocals were louder than the music and not as slick but still very slick, but the backing track was clearly in play. I don’t want overproduced songs having an advantage at Eurovision with backing from the tape. I said that 2 years ago and I stand by it now.

Datura

well that definitely sounds like playback to me, really disappointing tbh. if u attend the pre-parties full playback is a no go imo. even if she might sing here aswell, the vocals from the original track are still definitely there

jeriswani

feel this will flop live I reserved my opinion when the studio was released as it seems to be a patter with this type of music. HOWEVER still not going to properly judge anything until the rehearsals in Turin

ChiversLookDivine

To anyone in this thread worried about whether it was a lipsync or not - I wouldn't worry.

These pre-ESC parties mean very little. It was clearly a lipsync, but there are any number of reasons why a performance might be done in this way, and as we've seen with We Are Domi it can take a few attempts to get a live performance right (they did well tonight in London, finally!)

The rehearsals is where we'll see it all come together, no use in worrying until then. I have a few reservations about Halo from previous similar ESC entries failing to translate from studio to live, but I'm still hopeful Halo can make that jump.

ArmpitOfEurope

To anyone in this thread worried about whether it was a lipsync or not - I wouldn't worry.

These pre-ESC parties mean very little. It was clearly a lipsync, but there are any number of reasons why a performance might be done in this way, and as we've seen with We Are Domi it can take a few attempts to get a live performance right (they did well tonight in London, finally!)

I disagree. I dont mind lipsyncing on tv performances that much but on parties? People pay to listen to your live performance. No reason to go to a party if you are going to lipsync, they could just play your studio song. And thats not Barcelona fiasco party, its the London party with a fine sound system. Definetely worrying and if not that, a bit lame. I dont remember many contestants lipsyncing at pre parties

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
The crowd is like wtf

hpp0

In the video above, I can clearly listen to a female voice singing throughout the entire song, but I'm not sure if it's her voice or if someone from the crowd sings very well cause towards the end it looks like she isn't even doing lip syncing anymore.

Anyway I understand that there are reasons why she might not be able to sing live right now, but as far as I remember they will attent at least one more party. If she doesn't sing live there too, that will be a worrying sign. In the past I've seen singers not singing well at the pre parties and people always try to make excuses that they were sick or that they had sound problems, but when the semi comes we still get the same bad result (Belgium 2018 and Greece 2019 are two very obvious examples that come to my mind).

So I cannot feel very sure about its fate when they don't even try to sing it live, it just makes me really worried about what I'm going to hear during their ESC performance.

marty

Pia Maria probably was singing live but over the full playback. It is a bit disappointing but as meantioned before these pre partys count very little. Expectations still are quite low that can mean a surprise when she will nail it in Turin. And if not I still believe vocal capabilities are not that important with that kind of songs. But I still have trust everything will be fine in the end.

Top Bottom