22 12.7%

7 4.0%

11 6.4%

6 3.5%

8 4.6%

9 5.2%

• Total voters

Chorizo

I was never a fan of the Makemakes but I'm truly surprised they got zero points. I didn't expect them to do well but that seems undeserved. Normally, the host draws more attention and gets some extra points. Now Austria is the only host that got zero points in 60 years. The only other time the host ended up last was in 1958.

In 1967 Austria got only two points together with two other countries and ended up 14th out of 17 with only Switzerland being less successful. Considering the changed voting system and the much higher number of countries, it is quite stunning that the Makemakes didn't get a higher score than that. :eek:

The juries put the Makemakes in the middle, which is okay, but they were a total failure in the televote.

In the NF, the acts I supported didn't win an neither did those that I hated. The Makemakes were in the middle and I didn't really care that much about them. I kind of saw it coming, when they won in the NF but I was hoping for someone else and then I was pretty indifferent about them. So maybe that's how Europe felt. It was okay but not something to vote for. After all, I wouldn't have voted for them either. They were not even in my top ten, so I can fully understand people not voting for it. Nevertheless, such a flop is quite unusual. I wouldn't have cared that much, if Austria had been close to the bottom like Norway in 2009 but this is quite embarrassing. :lol:

I wonder how JSB would have done. I think they would have done better in the televote but probably worse with the juries.
DAWA could have done better with both, I think.

Well, I hope ORF will try to send something that stands out next year. Having a song that is just okay isn't enough. Even if they try hard, they wouldn't win in a long time anyway but they should at least try. The Makemakes weren't bad but they were never a potential winner either. I hope ORF will learn from this and try to win again. Even if you try seriously, it normally takes many years or even decades. I know ORF doesn't want to win again soon but that shouldn't lead to songs that have no chance to do well.

Sammy

Veteran
I'm still amazed, that despite the general impression that juries have so much power, in this case even a 13th place from them did not help.

Milos-BC

So undeserved :( I am really sad for these guys. They put in so much effort and yes, truth be told, the song is not really spectacular, the performance even less.........but 0 points, that's way too cruel. They certainly weren't that bad.

Sammy

Veteran
I know, I repeat myself, and I don't have any proof. But I think Zoe would have done far better.....

popavapeur

It was in my top 10 , i should have a pretty bad taste :D I really liked the Makemakes and i'm sad for them. I think they were overshadowed by the 5 entries before them, for sure.

Odalis

perhaps they should have inflamed also the drum kit :mrgreen:

I wish it was possible to inflame the lead singer's beard with no harm, that'd be THE show :lol:

SweetestBerry

I don't get this.
0 points in televoting ?
Such a nice entry.

me either - it was a good song - I actually voted for it by televote from Australia! I guess they have an algorithm that based on the 40 countries, the lowest number of televotes get a zero result??

SRBIJA

Banned
I was quite dissapointed when they picked this song as I found Zoe and Dawa to be much stronger. It really grew on me during the performance though (it was great), and definitely didn't deserve to get a zero.

Sammy

Veteran
Hmm, maybe she would've received ~3 points instead of 0.

That would have been an improvement of 300%! :lol:

But she would have got more than 3 Points.
France: 12
Belgium 5
Switzerland 3

Makes 20 Points :D

do me a favor and do not take this calculation serious! It's just my wishful thinking ;)

Zoe would have been very pleasing on the eye but i still preferred The Makemakers. Zoe just sounded like about 1,000 other Eurovision entries IMO

tuorem

Time for me to review the Austrian entry this year :D

The Makemakes - I Am Yours

Song: Well, hosts are always more likely to send bad/meh songs because they certainly don't want to win again. Therefore, I wasn't expecting much from Austria, that is on top of that not a very consistent country in terms of music quality in Eurovision :mrgreen: but I was happily surprised when I listened to "I Am Yours" for the first time during the final. I mean it's a lovely song with a lovely melody, it's sounds like a true American song in the 70's, especially during the chorus which is imo well done. Even though I think it's kind of a quality entry (for what it is), to me it lacks the spark that makes me want to rank it higher in my ranking. I've got the cd, I never skip this song but I'm always bored around 2min for some reason, it definitely lacks something to me, that "oomph" factor maybe. As a result, I don't know precisely know how to feel about this song: this is good but it's not great, it's better than meh but not good enough to be truly considered good :lol: if that makes any sense! I think it was a good choice for host entry though.

Voice: the main singer has a really good voice for this type of song! :eek: I'm impressed, the performance was flawless and looked effortless, I wouldn't find any difference with the studio version. Solid vocals. Apart from that, nothing to say :p

Staging: very simple presentation that matched the song imo, it wasn't distracting people from the song at least. The piano set on fire was a nice addition to the end of the act.

Outcome: No, no and no. :mad: Like Germany, I can't believe this ended up receiving no points. It wasn't the song of the year, but still it should have reached a top 20 at least, worse songs got a better result than this. This song isn't part of my favourites because of the issue I have with it (something missing), yet it's not bad at all, I see there is some quality to it. However, this song is probably one of the weakest of the 7 prequalified countries for me (along with France and Australia). Still such a bad result was totally undeserved. Good job Austria.

Ezio

Veteran
Well, it actually got 40 points. I love the song, one of our best. But a typical song that televoters don't mind.

Top Bottom