Contact us

ASC Thread Postcards and their incorporation

RevNet

I have created some postcards for the American Song Contest threads for each state and territory. You can see what they'll look like by clicking below. I have randomly chosen the West Virginia design to showcase here:

https://i.imgur.com/PJdIIpf.png

Now, here's a little bit about how I made these postcards. I wanted them to have a retro national forest road sign look to them if that makes sense. In fact, one of the two fonts I used to make all 56 of these postcards is literally called "National Forest". At first, I was inspired by the state postcards made by Curt Teich and Company, an example of which is displayed below.

Birmingham,+Alabama.+Curt+Teich+&+Co.+1937.jpg

As you can see with WV's design linked above, each postcard has, from top to bottom:
  • the "Greetings From" phrase
  • the state name in the other font I used (called "Mukbeng") used to its full potential
  • each state's official nickname (either within the state name itself or below)
  • an outline map of the state/territory with its counties also outlined
  • within the map, some of the state/territory's major cities are named and highlighted with a graphic of what that city might be known for, along with that city's nickname (if it has one)
  • some info about the state or territory like:
    • when it was admitted into the Union (statehood date)
    • its population as of 2020 or 2021
    • its state or territorial capital
    • its largest-populated city
    • its largest-populated metropolitan area
The colors on each postcard are usually based on a given state or territory's flag or official colors.

My question is when it comes time to eventually make the threads, how do y'all think we should go about incorporating these postcard designs into them? I know that the usual thing to do is stick the country's flag and (eventually) the entry onto the first post of each thread. We can still do that if y'all want, but maybe have it to where you can click the flag to see the postcard. If y'all want, we can also ditch the flags entirely and just use the postcards because most of the state/territorial flags are a seal on a bedsheet.

Let me know your thoughts on this matter.

Edit: Saw that one of the cities in WV is completely wrong. Not only the wrong name but also the wrong nickname (sort of). Both have been corrected. My apologies. o_O

Last edited:

RevNet

All right, now that the artists have been revealed, do I send all these postcards to you all? If so, where can I send them? I also have them uploaded if you need the links for them.

I can also make the threads if need be. Just tell me what to do concerning that.

RevNet

I feel that this thread is now a Q&A thread about the designs of the postcards since all 56 are now out in the universe for everyone to see. I do have some things to say before we get to your questions/comments/concerns, though:

First off, thanks so much @Matt for your hard work yesterday on making the threads! Yes, I was keeping up as you were making them.

Originally, the Alabama postcard did have its official nickname of "Heart of Dixie" on it. I changed the nickname on it to "The Yellowhammer State" after reflecting on the fact that "Heart of Dixie" and another nickname of Alabama's, "The Cotton State", have connotations of racism involved.

You may notice that the Texas postcard looks different as compared to Alabama's postcard and others. That is because I made a second side for the Texas postcard to put all of the icons and nicknames on since I couldn't possibly fit them onto the first side. That design is below.

hCgrzBy.png

I will also say that since like the ESC, the ASC is a music contest, I prioritized any nickname that had a musical context, like Austin as the "Live Music Capital of the World" above.

So now, any questions/comments/concerns?

Top Bottom