Contact us

American Song Contest

HayashiM

Veteran
I think the show could really use better songs (though that might just be my impression and USA's market is ok with it). Everything else can settle with time, I even dig the approach for presenting each candidate and their state. We get way less sob stories than I had thought, in one episode, I might have learnt more about the USA than I do about Europe in several ESC editions.

Overall I am positively surprised compared to what I had expected before the shows, but the songs and their stagings really need to improve for the next time. And please no, no winner of ASC being present / god forbid compete at ESC. Just no.

A-lister

Veteran
I think your fear isn't really justified. If this will ever take over ESC in relevancy, I don't how old we will all be - maybe earth will have melted by that time.
This looks more likely to be axed soon that becoming a relevant cultural event in the US which in general seems to be difficult these days. All the awards shows (Oscars, Grammys etc.) are on all-time rating lows and basically just will never be axed because of their legacy and relevance.
Actually, I referred rather to this ludacris idea of integrating it with Eurovision, and not really ASC as a stand alone project. I'm generally not a fan of the project itself, but ok let it be (although seeing how things turned out, I am not sure it will even be renewed at this stage), but the idea that the winner would take part in Eurovision? I mean if the ASC winner gets some big American label backing, how can we even compete with that? Also, USA already dominates the music market, why do they need to be part in Eurovision too? Let Eurovision be this one unique forum where we actually give some promotion to European acts for a change, USA has nothing to do with it and can live without being part of it.

VikingTiger

I am not (and will not) be following the ASC. Just as I dont follow JESC or any other non-ESC related song contests.
I dont mind there being news about these here on the escunited site. But I feel that the main site is being flooded by ASC news lately. The ESC is only a month and a half away - but most news these last couple of weeks have focused on another competition taking place on the other side of the Atlantic. As a long time reader and user I'm not very fond of this development.
Sorry for being a bit on the negative side.

popavapeur

I am not (and will not) be following the ASC. Just as I dont follow JESC or any other non-ESC related song contests.
I dont mind there being news about these here on the escunited site. But I feel that the main site is being flooded by ASC news lately. The ESC is only a month and a half away - but most news these last couple of weeks have focused on another competition taking place on the other side of the Atlantic. As a long time reader and user I'm not very fond of this development.
Sorry for being a bit on the negative side.
I mean what are the news for ESC like right now ? We know every song, there's just pre parties going on there and there with a quarter of the cast and that's it. You'd rather have nothing than ASC news maybe cause really there isn't a lot to say about ESC as of right now. From the "ESC" months, April has always been the least active although we're going so close to the actual contest.

I don't mind the ASC winner in ESC though and why :

- The strength about ESC is about the TV show aspect more than the songs
- Being afraid of the USA being already dominating the music market is right but nothing I heard in the ASC sounds like something that is charting in the USA and they are facing the same fate we see here in France : No big names that could actually crush the contest are willing to participate.
- And it applies to ESC, talking about France : Nothing we sent in the last 10 years sounds like something that could chart here. Like it's just not what the french are listening to on a daily basis (the closest we got was the song in the NF from Saam but charting like 6 years ago it's already outdated)
- I've never seen an ESC song chart long in France or being played a lot by radio stations (but I know why) Can't talk about other countries though. They didn't even play the songs from the NF this year lol.
- When a song gets more radio friendly, it somewhat gets boring to the actual show aspect. This year a lot of songs could actually be played thanks to their bland and safe aspect.

- So I'm basing it on the bigger it could get with another big country joining and participating not so about someone dominating the music market as I think ESC is not relevant at all music wise, it's in its own bubble and should stay like this imho but it's just the best and biggest TV show ever and I'm down to make it even more bigger.

Even though I said I don't mind, I'd rather not having them though, it's just if it's happening i'll say "okay right". I'd rather have Bjorkman licking boots to actually make ESC relevant in the USA, but unless they're participating it's gonna be hard.

randajad

Veteran
- I've never seen an ESC song chart long in France or being played a lot by radio stations (but I know why) Can't talk about other countries though. They didn't even play the songs from the NF this year lol.
I do get what you are saying, I agree about most stuff and it's obvious that ESC is just now going through a move towards more mainstream after-the-contest success, but this one is just plainly not true because all French entries since 2016 did chart in France, some of them quite high. Except that atrocity that 2020 was, of course. Other than that I agree, and the winner of ASC in ESC makes much more sense than Australia competing, honestly. :lol:

I have seen some ASC videos, and the thing I do not like is the presentation of the contest not as a competition of the countries states, but rather another talent show jUst WitH orIginAl sOngS. Like there's no big event moment, no importance, it really is just another mid-budget talent show. On a much more positive note, from the recaps it seems it is a healthy mix of genres, the songs don't seem to be that bad and it really do reflect the US music scene in much better light than I originally expected. Lack of big stars doesn't worry me because most of them are terrible at best.

A-lister

Veteran
I can't at all these faux-Eurovision fans actually lobby for the destruction of the contest ... It really came to this huh?

Sad, I guess it's time to say goodbye to Eurovision and hand in my lifetime-fan card if the ASC winner will become part of it. Clearly I'm in a minority these days that see something valuable in the Eurovision concept and format.

VikingTiger

I can't at all these faux-Eurovision fans actually lobby for the destruction of the contest ... It really came to this huh?

Sad, I guess it's time to say goodbye to Eurovision and hand in my lifetime-fan card if the ASC winner will become part of it. Clearly I'm in a minority these days that see something valuable in the Eurovision concept and format.

You might be in minority, but you are not alone. I have been following the contest for almost half a century. I have now come to accept Australia as a permanent participant. But having the US join? No way!
But seriously - I dont think we are in minority!

A-lister

Veteran
You might be in minority, but you are not alone. I have been following the contest for almost half a century. I have now come to accept Australia as a permanent participant. But having the US join? No way!
But seriously - I dont think we are in minority!

I hope we're not, I mean I also don't get the arguments really. There's no need with USA in this for various of reasons (or any additional non-European country for that matter). Is nothing holy any longer?

You guys want to create Worldvision, be my guest (it won't work anyways), but can we just please leave Eurovision as it is?

Deleted member 12761

Why are we "faux-Eurovision fans"? The fact that you would stop watching Eurovision because of this makes you a faux-Fan. Eurovision is a European show and very European. It will always be this way. Some countries in Eurovision these days are not European either. There is nothing wrong with adding countries that are interested and want to join our show. Every sport event these days is global, why should Eurovision stay local? None of the arguments make any sense. American artists and actors are already popular in Europe. They wouldn't gain anything from Eurovision, lol. America is the worlds superpower. For Euro artists the Contest could become a bridge to America. How many European artists, actors, movies are popular in America and the world (- UK)? I can't think of many tbh of any. It's sad. Look at Kpop. South Koreans are more succesful in America than Europeans even though we are closer to America in every way. Why? Because of our ignorance and our gatekeeping. I only see benefits for the Contest if it becomes popular in America. The contest would be more respected, countries would try harder and our artists would have a great promotional platform. Europe is doing a terrible job promoting their artists. We are supposed to be united but here in EU loving Germany I rarely hear any artists that are not American or British. I don't think the ESC should become like Fifa but I do support expansion and I think the contest should be promoted in other countries especially in those that are in a good timezone.

Edit: and people need to stop with promoting ideas like Asiavision, Turkvision, Latinvision, Worldvision. These things will never become popular. Look at the ASC. Eurovision is unique, a cultural event. You can't just copy and paste it.

A-lister

Veteran
Why are we "faux-Eurovision fans"? The fact that you would stop watching Eurovision because of this makes you a faux-Fan. Eurovision is a European show and very European. It will always be this way. Some countries in Eurovision these days are not European either. There is nothing wrong with adding countries that are interested and want to join our show. Every sport event these days is global, why should Eurovision stay local? None of the arguments make any sense. American artists and actors are already popular in Europe. They wouldn't gain anything from Eurovision, lol. America is the worlds superpower. For Euro artists the Contest could become a bridge to America. How many European artists, actors, movies are popular in America and the world (- UK)? I can't think of many tbh of any. It's sad. Look at Kpop. South Koreans are more succesful in America than Europeans even though we are closer to America in every way. Why? Because of our ignorance and our gatekeeping. I only see benefits for the Contest if it becomes popular in America. The contest would be more respected, countries would try harder and our artists would have a great promotional platform. Europe is doing a terrible job promoting their artists. We are supposed to be united but here in EU loving Germany I rarely hear any artists that are not American or British. I don't think the ESC should become like Fifa but I do support expansion and I think the contest should be promoted in other countries especially in those that are in a good timezone.

Edit: and people need to stop with promoting ideas like Asiavision, Turkvision, Latinvision, Worldvision. These things will never become popular. Look at the ASC. Eurovision is unique, a cultural event. You can't just copy and paste it.

I am not really sure where to start here, but I am a fan of Eurovision for its unique concept, if that can't be respected any longer then obviously I won't watch it any longer because what's there to be a fan of if there is no longer a Eurovision? xshrug You end your post with saying it's "unique" but you propose ways to basically take away what makes it unique so I am not sure xshrug

I disagree with the rest so let's just agree to disagree here. Anyways, it seems like ASC will be a flop so I hope EBU won't invite the winner to have Eurovision promote even more American music onto our market even from a flop concept. You're correct though, we are already overflooded by American stuff, no need to open the gates to Eurovision as well, let's keep it unique as it is.

FilipFromSweden

Blasphemy, I just can't at Eurovision fans even suggesting this... like do we want Eurovision to be over as a concept? USA already dominating the whole market isn't enough? Can't we at least have one format to give some space and opportunity to local European acts who normally have no chance to compete against US big label $$$ corpo business?

Anyways, it's looking as if this will be a flop format..
Because including Australia really ruined ESC right? :rolleyes: It's just crazy to me fans want countries who barely have an interest, like Ireland, to take part while there are also European countries like Slovakia and Hungary who has said no. But God forbid a country who actually has an interest and a passion takes part?

Also Israel isn't European and they've taken part for ages now. For some reason the anti-Australia fans never have anything against Israel's participation, but let's not do that discussion as it's been done to death.

midnightsun

Veteran
I think Australia, due to its connection to Great Britain, is completely different to America. I agree we should keep the ESC the way it is without letting more countries participate other than European of course.

The ASC is completely tailored to the American market, stagewise, musicwise, showwise. They could have produced it the European way as well but they took a pass on that because the producers knew USA is different. Not saying better or worse, just different. So IF they thought the concept of Eurovision would fit in there they would have done it the European way but they didn’t. We Europeans don’t "copy" the Super Bowl or the Oscars either because it wouldn’t work here. (We do have other sports events or trophies to award in the movie business too but it’s not the same as the huge events the USA is known for.)

I‘m glad the ASC is different from Eurovision so that way there‘s a little nice addition to it and I get to watch both.

Well, yesterday I didn’t because it was simply too late and I haven’t looked up who made it to the next round but I will do it now. I haven’t seen the full performances yet but I‘m looking forward to because heat 3 appears to be the one with the most songs I like but no real highlight. Let’s find out if I‘m wrong. :)

esc87fan

I wonder what criteria these jurors are following, because so far all the jury winners are small-state male soloists with ballads

Miss Antartica

Rating asc thrird episode decrease again the viewvers 1.600.000

TimeShow18-49 Rating/ShareViewers (mil)Network
8 PMAmerican Idol0.65.47ABC
The Neighborhood (R)0.43.80CBS
9-1-1 (R)0.32.18Fox
American Song Contest0.31.60NBC
All American (R)0.10.35The CW

Quote Reply
Report Edit
Prev

midnightsun

Veteran
Surprised by the (public) qualifiers. FOR REAL? Or do they just pretend to count the televote because they want every genre in the final?

FilipFromSweden

Texas ... probably my favorite song of the year

A-lister

Veteran
Because including Australia really ruined ESC right? :rolleyes: It's just crazy to me fans want countries who barely have an interest, like Ireland, to take part while there are also European countries like Slovakia and Hungary who has said no. But God forbid a country who actually has an interest and a passion takes part?

Also Israel isn't European and they've taken part for ages now. For some reason the anti-Australia fans never have anything against Israel's participation, but let's not do that discussion as it's been done to death.

Ruined perhaps not, but it made it stranger and especially EBU's blatant lies from the get-go about a "one-off thing" and all that and the juries push for the country the first years.

I also think we overestimate the "passion" Australia has in this (that's clearly EBU propaganda), because when we look at viewership in Australia, it's actually not that great and my understanding talking with people there, majority of Australians don't care or even know about this contest. It is mostly targeting some parts of the European diaspora and gay community, and that's fine, but it's a rather limited audience.

We obviously can't force European countries to take part, but the ambition to collect Europe under one roof should be there and it's the very concept, it's not a concept where USA suddenly should take part and I still don't get why? It's not about not liking American music or USA as a country (I happen to like both) but rather about the Eurovision concept and to give a forum for European artists and songwriters, we really don't need USA in everything.

I often see the Israel comparison with Australia, well firstly one can take a look at the world map to see that the comparison fails, Australia is as far as possible from Europe and that Broadcasting Union Area (that EBU falsely claims is a criteria to enter Eurovision), Israel is not (it is also within that area). Israel has been taken part all the way since the 70's, and due to geographical (yes it's practically neighboring Europe by just a little water, hardly a full continent and ocean between), political, cultural and social reasons, Israel is already taken part as Europe in various major international events such as European sport championships (like UEFA Euro Cup for instance). Now I won't get way too deep into why Israel is counted as part of Europe in many international events, but yeah there are many factors for that that neither Australia or USA can claim.

I do agree though that the discussion is already overdue, but now it wasn't really so much about Australia or Israel but rather a response to those that also want to drag USA into this. Also, this argument style "since A already takes part, let's allow B" is imho a sort of failed argumentation, two wrongs doesn't make one right.

Just to wrap this up, I have nothing against either Australia or USA or their people, on contrary I like both, my views are strictly on preserving Eurovision as a concept and to promote European artists and culture, to promote the ideas of our continent coming together, it's a protectionist mindset perhaps, but I think in this world there is space for different unique concepts and Eurovision is one of them.

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
Resumé Heat 4

This was the worst heat so far. Not only a lot of meh songs. Most of the contestants were so off, they just sounded terrible live. Thus the only logical jury winner had to be Allen Stone, who has a gorgeous voice. I'm not a fan of this kind of r'n'b especially when the focus is on the blues but the line-up was so bad in this heat he was my #3 (#2 was Georgia‘s addictive DIY and #1 by far was The Crystal Method though I'm not sure if their band name doesn’t say it all, they seemed pretty high to me ;)). Plus, I was rooting for WA anyway since I have relatives living there.

Fluke

I really think this was the weakest heat ever, it's like they put all the worst ones in this heat, i can't even think of who i want to, or think will qualify besides Allen Stone who was jury #1.

Also there's a lot of hate towards the juries on Twitter now for only supporting white male artists, and especially putting Arizona's mariachi girls so low, as well as just supporting a certain type of songs overall. Not sure what to think myself, i don't think they should have so much power over selecting all four qualifiers though.

Top Bottom