Contact us

American Song Contest

A-lister

Veteran
Yeah, of course the final will now suddenly be more or less timed with the Eurovision one... what a coincidence... xshrug

My main concern with American Song Contest isn't the obvious silliness of trying to copy a pan-national/continental concept that has a long history and context and a clear cultural, social and even political importance for a whole continent into a US-only context with the self-centrism and ignorance that comes with it, but just when Eurovision finally had some international momentum going on, USA just had to step in and "ruin" the moment.

Some might think, "what's the issue here? let them enjoy their party!", but you're missing the point about resources and big labels politics here and the fact that most European artists can't really compete on the same playing field as American ones and if the AMS winner or entries will get the right "push", their channels are much more powerful and influential, and they could easily end up overshadowing Eurovision and its winner/entries.

Instead of selling the concept to the USA, EBU could have played a positive role in promoting European music, and should have focused on promoting Eurovision better and especially the winners instead of leaving them out to dry once the annual finals are over. With the huge platform that Eurovision is and the amount of audience it reaches, EBU could play a more active part in the months following the contest (special label, radio and streaming deals, promos etc), but short-term greed has again overtaken long-term goals that in the end would have benefitted the Eurovision brand and ultimately even the EBU more.

Last edited:

grazy2266

I can't wait to see how this all plays out, I just need to get the normal Eurovision format out of my head and treat this totally different. I can't wait to see what happens, and only hope it's more reflective of Eurovision rather than AGT.

RevNet

SVT Secures Rights to Broadcast the American Song Contest​

Sveriges Television has secured the rights to broadcast the American Song Contest to viewers in Sweden.

SVT is the second European public broadcaster to have been confirmed as broadcasting the American Song Contest. Sveriges Television joins YLE of Finland in airing the first edition of the competition. Mikael Österby of SVT told Goteborgs Posten that:

Yes it is true. Now we can confirm that SVT will broadcast the major venture American song contest and we are really happy about that. In a divided world, Eurovision’s message to unite people through music feels more important than ever.

The Swedish broadcaster has not scheduled the show, with the dates of broadcast expected to be revealed in a few days time.

Source: https://eurovoix-world.com/2022/01/26/svt-secures-rights-american-song-contest/

Last edited:

Brandt

I hope Europeans will boycott this..
Not over just a bunch of speculations, lol. First let's see how it plays out and how it influences the actual contest. Then we will have actually something to talk about.

A-lister

Veteran
Not over just a bunch of speculations, lol. First let's see how it plays out and how it influences the actual contest. Then we will have actually something to talk about.

The greatest tactic in avoiding any conflict is to have built up such a great defense that your enemy will simply decide not to engage. Not being prepared however, "see how it plays out", usually means you get invaded and then it's too late.

Sorry for the "war-strategy" references, but I think you get the point here.

For decades and decades no American broadcaster could give a single *** about Eurovision, just recently some obscure cable channel? picked it up and Netflix made a so-so parody which most Americans genuinely think is the true Eurovision. But just put "American" in the name and some of Europe's largest (nationally speaking) broadcasters are already queuing up to broadcast the first season of something we have yet to know if it's even worth broadcasting in the first place, so you can see that the warning signs that I explained in my previous post are already there.

Europe simply can't compete, the playing field isn't even, but why these EBU members have to speed up the decline of Eurovision is beyond me. Next step they will bring the American winner as a contender in Eurovision...

lasse braun

@A-lister
have heard that swedish television will show the contest - TV-stream ist geoblocked or free like melo?
maybe you know more?

EscGeek

Veteran
I actually prefer this new start date. Just when all songs for eurovision will be known, we'll have something to focus on every week. xdance2

Now move it from monday to saturday IOTAP

Ianp16

Is there any hype for this in the US? Most new things flop in the US when they begin, and when they do the producers don't really give it a second chance.

Schlagerman1

Well I hope they can at least post the songs soon, cause the only way to create some expectations are with people finding their favorites early...

But, knowing that swedes is involved, I doubt that will happen. xthink

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Is there any hype for this in the US? Most new things flop in the US when they begin, and when they do the producers don't really give it a second chance.
Apparently they are heavily promoting it playing commercials during the Olympic games. Though I haven't heard a single sole talk about it, they probably don't quite get it just yet.

RevNet

Well, we now know the hosts of the ASC are Snoop Dogg and Kelly Clarkson. Below is the ad that was played during the Super Bowl, which for this year is on NBC.

I did a little thinking and this decision makes a lot of sense. First off, both Snoop and Kelly are music people. Snoop is a legendary rapper, and Kelly was the first American Idol winner. Also, both Snoop and Kelly have recent experience with hosting TV shows. Snoop hosted the revival of the game show Joker's Wild, and Kelly has her own syndicated talk show with The Kelly Clarkson Show.

Also, having an ad during the Super Bowl is a huge deal. I believe things just got interesting here.

Last edited:

Charly

Apparently they are heavily promoting it playing commercials during the Olympic games. Though I haven't heard a single sole talk about it, they probably don't quite get it just yet.

IThey revealed Snoop Dogg and Kelly Clarkson via the Super Bowl commercial for the American Song Contest :lol: and then minutes later they posted on twitter the hosts

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I've been very clear that I am profoundly non-excited for this but Kelly Clarkson and Snoop Dogg are GREAT choices. Now I have something (besides the territories taking part) to get excited about.

Top Bottom