Contact us

A 'Weak' Year? (Discussion)

ZoboCamel

I've seen a lot of posts around this year saying that it so far looks like the contest's weakest year in ages; that none of the songs are winning material, and that great songs are losing out in the national finals. I feel the need to defend ESC2015, though, and here's why (warning: rant incoming).

This is the third year now that I've followed the national final season (and forum hype), and I've seen the exact same thing every year around this time. Every year it feels like the general sentiment at this stage has been disappointment, but have the last two years really been that bad? It's down to taste, of course, but I personally feel they've been some of the contest's better years, and in relative terms I think it'd be hard to argue that they were objectively bad.

No, there likely isn't a winning song amongst the nine selected; everyone seems to forget, though, that these songs are not representative of the overall level of quality. You can't just say 'we've got a quarter of the songs already, and there isn't a quarter as much as I liked last year yet', and there are three reasons for that.

Firstly, and perhaps most importantly: the weaker countries tend to choose earlier. Consider that, of the top 12 countries last year, only one has chosen their song so far, and that one is the Netherlands, who aren't a strong Eurovision country in the long term anyway. Not a single one of the top 10 last year had revealed their finished song until late February, and most of them did so in March. Most of the relatively unpopular songs so far are from countries that are relatively unpopular in most years - Albania, Macedonia, France and so on. If you actually compare songs on a country-by-country basis, I personally think that the majority of countries with a song so far have chosen a stronger one than what they usually bring. Yes, Amber's Warrior may be overhyped, but is it really a worse entry than Coming Home? Doesn't Time have a bit more merit to it than Cheesecake? Surely Nina's Warrior is an improvement over Three Minutes To Earth? And so on and so forth. We need to keep our comparisons accurate.

Secondly: many of the versions we're hearing now aren't the final versions of the songs. Of the nine countries that have chosen their songs so far, six (all except for France, Switzerland and the Netherlands) have already given a strong indication that they're reworking or otherwise modifying their songs: this means that the majority of what we're hearing now will sound slicker, better-produced and better-structured when it's all finalised and performed in May.

Thirdly: with regards to this year in particular, the January to early February period is more empty than usual, as most of the countries usually occupying the period have shuffled things around a bit. Malta, Macedonia and Belarus had earlier selections; Ukraine is out for the year; Finland has moved their selection back by a month. This has resulted in a fairly barren period of a month or so, and when we're used to seeing more of a glut of songs in these months, it's no surprise that there's less hype and discussion than in previous years.

TL;DR: We've got a stronger-than-average bunch of songs relative to the countries who've chosen them, it seems likely that these songs will improve anyway in the coming months, the large majority of strong countries are yet to reveal their entries, and this is all despite NF scheduling giving us less events at this time compared to what we had last year.

I don't really see anything to worry about, as such. But am I missing anything? Are people's complaints stemming from different reasons? I'm curious to hear some more opinions on the matter!

MyHeartIsYours

I agree with you - when I saw this post I was going to say well lots of people said last year was a weak year at this stage and imo it turned out to be a very good one.
But actually I dont think the songs we have atm are bad at all - they're above average in my eyes.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Some people whine every year about the quality and in the end they end up liking it in most cases.

However, I am one of those who has been vocal about my disappointment with the selection so far. In previous years, I was actually more supportive of the early chosen entries but it just feels that 2015 had a really bad start based on my personal taste. Countries like Malta and Switzerland have been delivering the last few years but really let me down with their song selection. So in the end, it comes down to personal taste.
The hing that bothers me is when I talk about it, some people immediately disregard it and say "Oh, people say that every year so shut up". I don't think is fair that because some people are always complaining, legit dislikes are immediately ignored for that reason.

That being said, I'd never say that this is the weakest year, we still have 30 songs to go but to me, this has been a really, really weak start.

ayzelto

I agree with many of the things you mentioned, but I do not think the weakest countries choose their entries before... the results vary depending on the year.
Regarding the songs chosen by far, I think Cyprus and Georgia will do really good this year, but we are all waiting for Sweden or Norway (countries which have a very famous national selection) or UK, Azerbaijan or Russia (there's always expectations among these).

Are there people posting it is the weakest year?? Worst than last year?? It's impossible...

Sabiondo

I don't thing that this year was aweak so far, but now mostly of the countries are selecting their entries later than ever..

MyHeartIsYours

I think we already have a potential winner selected, the Netherlands - have we ever had that before at this stage??

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Are there people posting it is the weakest year?? Worst than last year?? It's impossible...

It's all over social media. It seems to be a very unpopular year so far with the fans.

You call last year's contest weak? Wow, to me it was one of the strongest in many years. It just shows how tastes differ.

ZoboCamel

Interesting to see the range of opinions here! I wouldn't call the Dutch song the weakest so far - not by a long shot - but I also can't imagine it winning at all. I'm guessing it'll sit somewhere from 5th to 15th in the final, with my personal opinion trending towards the lower end of that spectrum.

I'm with the group that was a definite fan of last year's contest - I'd go as far as to say it's been my equal favourite so far (alongside 2010 and 2012, and with the caveat that I've only seen the shows since 2006). It's difficult to say exactly where this year will land at this point... I'm preferring the selected songs this year but I preferred the range of music in national selections last year. So far, though, I'm viewing it less like 2007 and 2009 (which I think had some amazing songs alongside some terrible ones, with little in the middle) and more like 2011 and 2013 (where almost every entry was decent but not many were spectacular). Hopefully we'll get some great songs from the stronger countries soon though.

I can see how some people might not be excited by this year so far, though. Looking at it more closely, we've got quite a lot in the way of mid-tempo songs by female singers with lyrics about being strong and confident (Malta, Georgia, Switzerland, France; if we loosen the lyrics category, then we can also include Albania and The Netherlands). For those who don't like that kind of music, I suppose it could be a subjectively weak start to the year, but I can't imagine that we'll continue at the current rate and have a year where twenty songs fall into that category.

Sim

A weak year or not, I think it's a very subjective matter.

Some people may not like any song chosen yet, someone else may like most of the them.
Even when all songs are chosen, it stays a personal matter if this is a bad year or not.

For me personally, from the 9 acts chosen I really like 3 of them (Netherlands, Malta and Georgia) and only dislike 2 (Macedonia and Cyprus). All the other songs I find average and doens't stand out.

revallsay

I think it's too early to judge whether this year is strong or not. There are some good songs (Macedonia, Malta, Switzerland), some weak (Georgia, Albania and Cyprus) and the rest is average or average comparing to the best and the worst (IMO ofc). We need to wait a month longer to state our opinion about this year. Who knows, maybe from now on we'll get only really good entries or only bad ones?

aardvark

FSC Mod
Staff member
... we've got quite a lot in the way of mid-tempo songs by female singers with lyrics about being strong and confident (Malta, Georgia, Switzerland, France; if we loosen the lyrics category, then we can also include Albania and The Netherlands)...

We'll those are exactly the type of songs I tend to dislike. Which means that this year I am very disappointed by the selections so far, as there is not yet a single song that I feel I like very much, and almost no variation in type / style of song. That said, I know there are still many things to come, so I won't say this is the worst year yet (for now). But if this trend continues, I might be giving away a set of Eurovision tickets.

eerik

You know it is a weak year when Estonia is leading the betting odds.

GRE

Its a mediocre start.
I like only 2-3 song from 9 chosen so far.
I dont think this year will be as bad as 2011, but still i wont be like 2012,2009, or even 2014.

ZoboCamel

You know it is a weak year when Estonia is leading the betting odds.

Lol... you have too little faith in your country :lol: I don't think Estonia's going to win this year, but I suppose I can see where the short odds are coming from - my guess is that the bookies last year underrated both Calm After The Storm and Rise Like A Phoenix, and when the frontrunner in Eesti Laul is virtually a combination of those two, they don't want to put it at long odds and then have it win. Still, though, I'm assuming that they'll fall to somewhere between fifth and tenth even if Goodbye to Yesterday is selected - probably behind Spain, Sweden and a couple of others that we've got no way of predicting.

CPV4931

As I tend to like uptempo, rock- and dance-songs more than quiet songs (which did well in Eurovision during the recent years), this year starts quite disappointed for me.
However I have faith in the (lots of) countries that remain to select entries I like.

ayzelto

It's all over social media. It seems to be a very unpopular year so far with the fans.

You call last year's contest weak? Wow, to me it was one of the strongest in many years. It just shows how tastes differ.

For me 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 were MUCH better than last year. But you know, every year it's the same history with the fans... then we start to like the songs and the opinions change

Top Bottom