Contact us

2018 vs. 2019

Edward

A yearly exercise that I like to do soon after all ESC songs are revealed is comparing whether I like the songs from each country better than the one sent the previous year. So basically state whether you think this year's songs are better or worse than last year (and feel free to add whichever additional comments if you feel like it).

:by: Belarus: Worse (Alekseev's song was good, this year the song just feels too uninspired)

:cy: Cyprus: Better (Fuego was catchy, I liked it but I ended up getting sick of it by the end of the contest. I started out by not caring for Replay but it's slowly becoming one of my "guilty" pleasures. Much credit to Tamta's charisma and looks :oops:)

:cz: Czech Repbulic: Worse (I didn't like Lie to me when it came out but slowly I got to at least appreciate the live performance. This year's song just feels quite annoying to me)

:fi: Finland: Worse (Bit like above, didn't like Monsters when it came out but Saara Aalto's kinda bubbly personality made me not dislike it so much, plus it was kind of catchy. This year...bless Darude for that Sandstorm hit that still echoes almost 20 years later on but this one song just feels boring to me)

:hu: Hungary: Better. (AWS was not my favorite to win A Dal 2018 which I followed closely but in the end it fell kinda within my type of music and they had energetic stage performance. I like Jóci's new attempt at ESC better still, bit surprised that it's kind of underrated)

:me: Montenegro: Worse (Don't dislike this year's song but just don't feel, at least yet, the will to play it again more often after a few listens. Vanja's was ok, none is a masterpiece so may just end up equalized in the end)

:pl: Poland: Better (Much better by far. Better not dive into it even)

:rs: Serbia: Worse (Tough...considering Serbia is again in my top 10, top 5 even maybe this year. But Balkanika's song really grew on me and it'd play it more easily than Nevena's song for now at least. Both are great however and I feel Serbia is going in the right direction)

:sl: Slovenia: Worse (For now at least. Lea was just too charismatic, hard not to pick her. Sebi probably is a superior composition instrumentally but the fact it's not the kind of music I listen to by normal standards I'll go with Lea for now. However Sebi is growing on me each day and gives me such a nice calm sensation everytime I play it so this might change soon)

:au: Australia: Worse (And I say this even being a fan of operatic vocals. But Zero Gravity just feels like has too much going on, both vocally and stage-wise. Mauboy's song was no wonder but for what it's worth it was an effective standard ESC song)

:be: Belgium: Better (Started out by liking Sennek's song but then it fell a bit through time, with that poor staging not helping at all. I like Eliot's song, curious to see if they can make it more interesting up on stage)

:ee: Estonia: Worse (Like no contest whatsoever to me. Elina almost had it all for me - voice, charisma, nice personality. Victor...has nice background visuals and looks handsome, I guess. The song is a bit of a bore)

:ge: Georgia: Worse (Bit hard as I don't like either really. Last year was kind of a snooze...but I appreciate it better than Oto's song. He forces his voice out a bit too much to me, kinda like Albania last year. I'm aware this is not a popular opinion though)

:gr: Greece: Worse (I slowly start to appreciate Katerine's vocals and song better but Oniro mou was better. I still feel bad about it, was so robbed from the final. Better instrumentally and I really liked the staging)

:is: Iceland: Better (Being nearly a lifelong fan of industrial music this comes rather easily to me. Also last year's effort overall strenght makes it easy. Nothing against Ari and his nice message though. Just really digging this year's song better - love the contrast between the harsh and the clean vocals. And never thought to see an industrial song on ESC stage - plus am positively surprised by all the good reactions and support it is getting)

:pt: Portugal: Worse (May be quite lonely on this one but O Jardim was just very underrated. Was kind of sad people were not taken by Cláudia's charisma and smooth vocals. The atmosphere from the song was very nice. More my type of thing. Conan is a healthy kind of modern madness mixed with a bunch of not so modern elements of our music. I quite like it too but O Jardim is just more my kind of thing, only that)

:sm: San Marino: Worse (Obviously none is a gem but I ended up liking last year's "ugly duckling". Have nothing against Serhat but he has just no appeal to me as a singer. And this dated retro disco attempts...just seem kind of desperate and not very inspired)

:am: Armenia: Worse (Qami was a beautiful song, sadly underrated. Now that I know people's reactions better to this year's songs I fear Hungary could meet the same unfortunate fate. But this was kind of an easy exercise anyway. Srbuk and her song don't appeal to me at all)

:at: Austria: Better (Still think César and his song were very overrated. While I'm still not convinced by Paenda and her song I easily like it better)

:dk Denmark: Better (Haha, sorry but when I think of Rasmussen's song I just feel it was such a poor gimmick in overall. Again, not a popular opinion, I know. Liked Leonora's song from the first listen, so sweet and inspired dare I say. Not for everyone's taste though. But fills my cup pretty well. She's a sweet performer but lack of experience still shows - like needing to better her timing with the cameras)

:ie: Ireland: Worse (Although it feels a bit bad to choose it this way for me. 22 is very sweet and catchy and I can feel Ireland continuing going places unlike its neighbour UK, for instance. I may end up liking 22 better on the long run but Together was the dark horse that I quietly rooted for reaching the final at least last year. And it rarely happens that I'm in sync with how people vote for the most part so the joy I still feel for it probably makes me like it a bit better than 22 for now)

:lv: Latvia: Worse (But I like both. Just that in Laura's 'cause I really liked it from the get go. Laura had the stage presence and the looks. I felt early enough it probably would not fare well and that made me embrace the song even more. I like Carousel's song however, it's just again the kind of music I'm not very used to listen to. I thought it'd be doing better with the followers of the contest - however distant it still has a certain Calm after the storm vibe and look to it. Maybe it's about the performer...)

:md: Moldova: Worse (Last year was fun even if the fun ended up getting a bit sickening in the end for it was kind of a silly song. This year...I should maybe like Anna's song as I usually like these ugly duckling drama toned pop songs performed by solo females but it just feels so flat and uninspired. Anna herself doesn't help this much, nothing outstanding about her)

:ro: Romania: Better (I like The Humans and was sad that they failed to reach the final but this year...is just much better. Didn't click with me within first listen but now I have nothing but love for it. Ester has it all for me. Love her vocals, her performance and probably above all her sensibleness. The video is a great visual piece of pop art to me, the song doesn't feel as powerful on stage obviously but still. One of my favs for this year)

:se: Sweden: Worse (Bit tough again but rather because I don't like any really. Benjamin's song ended up going from disliked to acceptable though. I still feel nothing for John's song so far. Maybe it changes with time but considering the craze and hype surrounding Melfest each year it's hard to accept this is the best Sweden has to offer in the end...)

:ch: Switzerland: Worse (Haha, probably the toughest so far. Because I quite dislike both. But Stones was kinda entertaining on stage at least. Just didn't like the performers from the start and that stuck to the end. This year's song is just not my type of thing at all...but after a few more listens I can see why other people like this, it has that certain infectious something that most pop songs have nowadays that just doesn't appeal to me at all in the end)

:al: Albania: Better (As already mentioned I thought Eugent while naturally talented tried a bit too hard with his voice. That tone never hit home with me besides. I really like Jonida and her song. Strong vocals and strong composition. Has the looks too as far as I'm concerned. But I see it's not being met with great enthusiasm by most people. It might end up repeating the fate of Greece last year...perhaps this would feel even more criminal in the end to me, if happening)

:az: Azerbaijan: Worse (Although X my heart never ended up being a favorite it was an easy listen and have nothing against it really. This year's song just feels out of my league. But I can understand the appeal. The guy seems to have the right ammount of charisma. Haven't seen it on stage yet though)

:hr: Croatia: Better (I still feel bad for Franka missing out last year. The song was good, she was even better but her kind of pop was probably not the one I like the best in the end. Bit hard to choose still, both are good to me. But Roko...he may have the fate of Omar a couple of years ago by the looks of it but I stand behind this powerful song 100%. Made me like Houdek a bit better again :p No, but really...even if it gets a bit repetitive I just really like the atmosphere and how neatly Roko presents and delivers it on stage. Smooth looking kid with a certain ammount of good stage presence. Like Leonora noticed a bit unexperienced as well however, for the same reasons. I really hope Croatia can make it to the final this year. The dramatic tone and echoing despair this song has is just my kind of thing when it comes to pop music)

:lt: Lithuania: Worse (I'll go with worse for now. Ieva's song kind of always ended up touching me and making me emotional in the end. But it was not something I could listen on repeat. Plus I don't forgive her for thinking Portugal was in Argentina (the hell?) :mrgreen: Nah. I like this year's song, it's one of my mother's favorites so that gives it a bit of a plus too. Felt nothing for it on first listen too, felt a bit too overdone modern pop formula to me. But now that I've heard and seen it a few more times I start getting and liking the appeal of it. Jurij has good stage presence and decent vocals. I like the instrumental even better tough. Those rolling snare beats in the chorus are a nice treat and I really liked the lights and visuals that they used in Lithuania. Hopefully they don't end up revamping it too much for Tel Aviv - still not quite over Leonor four years ago, for instance...)

:mt: Malta: Worse (While Taboo was never among my favorites last year, the song was always among my liked songs from the first listen even if falling out kind of my league. Plus I liked the subject she was trying to rise awareness for - too often an overlooked subject and theme. Chameleon is just the type of pop that does nothing for me. Bit annoying in fact. But Michela's apparent strong personality might change that a little. Taboo was just more accessible)

:nl: Netherlands: Better (Although it's easier to remember Waylon's song at the time for me. But I never was a fan of him and his whole bad boy personna thing. The song was ok, the staging was pretty poor however. This year's song is still a bit of a question mark to me. I have not seen on stage yet, just the video. I'm surprised it stands as the favorite right now...I don't think it has that kind of global appeal so I was taken by surprise. The atmosphere is nice and the lyrics are the obvious strong point. Just a bit too depressing to me and I rather always look at the bright side of things and solutions when it comes to a subject such as love...)

:mk: North Macedonia: Worse (I had almost forgotten how much I liked Eye Cue and felt bad for them. I thought it had, although unorthodox, the right instrumental pop dressing to make it far in the contest. Sadly was never that well received (plus not enough voting straight crowd :p Marija was stunning). This year, and since I'm at looks now - Tamara doesn't fare too behind. And she has a quite powerful voice. I just can't feel much for the message however. One may apply the pride she sings about to whatever one wants but I can't help feeling that it's a song pushing a certain kind of agenda, or appealing more to a group I'm not part of. Don't wish her bad fortune though, just liked Eye Cue much better)

:no: Norway: Better (Spirit in the sky is slowly growing within...very catchy indeed. Think it has enough power for final in the very least. Not one of my favorites or instantly liked songs but I like the contrasts in this song as well. In this case the rather smooth and easily accessible performance from both main singers and then the ethnic catchy appeal of the other singer - not too familiar with their names yet, sorry. Last year...was slightly entertaining, nothing against Rybak. He's a talented guy. Just felt like he could have come up with something more poweful...)

:ru: Russia: Better (I'll say better although I'm among those who liked Julia since her "first attempt" and defended she deserved to return the following year. So there's a bit of personal bias towards Julia to me. Unfortunately I won't break was not as good as the song she deserved to sing in Kiev...but most of the fault layed within the unfortunately weak performance and not very inspired staging. I felt zero for Lazarev's song on first listen, just felt too bland and generic. Uninspired even. But now after some more listens...I start getting it. It is powerful indeed. Lyrics and the darkened atmosphere. I hope he goes places like he deserved to go when Mans won (in this case I mean I would have preferred him to win, he did go very far ofc). The only problem to me is that Lazarev's tone is not very much to my liking but he's such a solid and charismatic performer that in the end it won't make all that much difference to me when we reach May)

:il: Israel: Better (Never did jump on Netta's train, so...rather easy choice. Not a Toy hater or anything, it was fun but got old pretty fast. More deserving winners were around to be chosen. Home didn't do much for me at first listen although Kobi has a distinct quality voice. And that's what I like the most in the end. Nice crooner vocals, strong. He has some charisma as well. I thought people would be liking it better (maybe it's a political thing in the end, to sort of quote Leonora now :p). I think he'll do better than us last year as the host song, still)

:fr: France: Worse (But not a very long margin. I don't dislike Bilel and his song. He has decent vocals. I'm a sucker for French so that helps a lot too. No matter if the performer or the song's theme or instrumental are nowhere near my cup of tea. He deserves an ok result at least. Even with the whole wig thing and all, just judging his artistic value in here. Madame Monsieur however were slightly more catchy and within my league. But it's quite a thin difference really. For one I didn't like much that they were bringing the subject they did to ESC stage, I really think ESC should be "politics" free but the song was simply effective. The staging could have been better though. Curious to see Roi, hope they don't go too camp :p)

:de: Germany: Worse (But again, not that big of a margin, Michael's song moved me and I felt joy for its final result and particulary for Germany after some years of poor results. Sister hadn't such an impact on me on first listen but it's growing with time and listens. Again, very emotional song and performance. I really like the musicbox bits. I fear however this whole sister theme might not be very popular (like Tolmachevy sisters or Lights and Shadows - songs I both still like very much). I wish them good anyway, probably nearly impossible to do as good or half as good as Michael but should not be at the bottom at all)

:it: Italy: Worse (It's not even comparable to me. Last year's song was just too powerful. Message and the simple straight forward delivery. And it was very accessible instrumentally. Soldi...I'm not sold yet :p It's not my type of pop or imagery really. I'm not taking vocal or composition merits away though. Just not my kind of thing)

:es: Spain: Worse (The kids payed the price of the obvious lack of experience the hard way last year but it felt a bit harsh. It was a beautiful classic ballad. While I don't dislike this year's song and think it's nice Spain are at least going with a rather safe formula rather than trying to go a bit weird as they did in the past recent years a couple of times, it just feels too unoriginal. Like your average random latino sounding sound coming from the radio. It does not stand out in any particular way to me. It may earn points for being the only "party" song like this on the night of the final. But I much preferred Tu canción)

:uk: United Kingdom: Better (Haha, and it's hard to say this. But Surie did nothing for me...and the whole stage incident thing and people cheering on her for carrying on and what not, heh. Most people are not listening to Storm a year after, I'm rather sure. It felt uninspired and lacking substance. Just like this year. But this year the problem is more the lack of originality. It felt like an Idol audition at first listen to me and still feels like it. Maybe bringing Simon Cowell on stage will help :p The kid is not that much of a performer either and it doesn't help he has some mannerisms in his body language...a bit conceited. No idea if he is like that off stage, but it's off-putting on stage. UK seems to be stuck on the eternal problem of not taking the contest seriously enough. Even we made progress...Finland...Ireland has been rising. UK, I can't help but feeling bad for them every year. And like people keep saying, having such huge musical industry there and all it's hard to accept this is the best they can come up with for ESC. A bit like Sweden in recent years, if my propably not so popular opinion is allowed).

As most of these probably weren't :p But I just tried to be as honest as possible. Did get a bit carried away as usual, thanks to those who read it all :mrgreen:

Now it's your turn. Feel free to dig deep into your reasoning as I did if you feel like it or then just tell it straight up: do you find this years's songs for each country better or worse than last year's?

Top Bottom