Contact us

تونس - Tunisia

Jim

I believe that in the future We will have the traditional "Eurovision song contest" and also the new one "Worldvision song contest". Maybe the top 5-6-7-8 of each continent's song contest like "Eurovision" will be competing in the "Worldvision song contest". But I think that we will have to wait for some years...

A-lister

Veteran
I believe that in the future We will have the traditional "Eurovision song contest" and also the new one "Worldvision song contest". Maybe the top 5-6-7-8 of each continent's song contest like "Eurovision" will be competing in the "Worldvision song contest". But I think that we will have to wait for some years...

This could be a cool idea, and a good compromise with all those (including me) who want EUROvision to still exist!

A-lister

Veteran
Lets send your wishes to the Universe:Tunisia & Morocco in esc 2013!xcheer

Yeah, let's challenge Turkey's diaspora voting power! xcheer

Seriously though, they can enter their own contest, and let the winner of Eurovision and others meet in Worldvision instead, that's the best compromise (as been proposed here already).

Yamarus

Surely the EBU will have to rethink its Song Contest if it begins accepting Morocco and Tunisia and other non-European countries on a regular basis. Renaming it, or changing the rules drastically. I wouldn't be opposed to it, there are bound to be big changes in the following decade: the ESC has become much, much bigger over the last few years.

I've always thought that regional contests preceding a big final comprising the top 5 of each regional group (such as Balkans, Nordic & British Isles, Western Europe, etc.) could provide an interesting twist on the current situation.

Sim

Yamarus,

the eurovision song contest is NOT an european contest but a contest for members of the EBU.
So even if an australian broadcaster gets member, Australia is allowed to participate

A-lister

Veteran
Yamarus,

the eurovision song contest is NOT an european contest but a contest for members of the EBU.
So even if an australian broadcaster gets member, Australia is allowed to participate

Yeah, but it's kinda idiotic imo.

I think the rules regarding Eurovision in particular need to be changed.

Would be odd with Australia joining in for instance.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
The purpose of the contest is to bring EBU countries together and not to divide them. It is against the board rules to campaign against nations or flat out say that certain countries shouldn't be allowed to participate based on someone's personal believes or attitudes. Thank you!

lowyby

Wasn't the original idea after the ESC uniting European broadcasters after WW2, Since when is Tunisia, Morocco, ... important in uniting European broadcasters?

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) was formed on 12th February 1950 by 23 broadcasting organisations from Europe AND the Mediterranean at a conference in Devon, United Kingdom. It was on the 6th of June, 1954, that Montreux became the venue for the first transmission by the EBU's Eurovision Network of the Narcissus Festival and its flower-bedecked procession floats.

The EBU - based in Switzerland - set up an ad-hoc committee to search ofr ways of bringing together the countries of the EBU aournd a "light entertainment programme"

It's not just Europe as some members claim, people just like to use it as an excuse. This is not the right place to discuss the EBU rules, I just wanted to pointed out that the rules have always been inclusive about all countries falling under those rules.

A-lister

Veteran
Wasn't the original idea after the ESC uniting European broadcasters after WW2, Since when is Tunisia, Morocco, ... important in uniting European broadcasters?

Yes, that was the original idea, which some may overlook or "forget".

And some people are overly sensitive and political correct in here. To say you want Eurovision to stay as a European contest is NOT the same as to be "anti" non-European countries. If someone makes such conclusions then we can't say anything in here soon.

Yamarus

Yamarus,

Nope. In order to become a member of the EBU, you have to be located in the European Broadcasting Area. This includes Northern Africa, but not Australia.

seb89

Because at the time they were still a French colony and they were also involved in the WWII (I think).

Sean

Admin
Staff member
I'd be fine with Tunisia entering. I don't see how anyone could dispute when even the EBU were okay with them entering in the 70s - we didn't even have half of Europe entering back then :p

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Rules reminder

13. This forum is Pro-Eurovision & EBU. While it is okay to share constructive criticism, it is NOT okay to question or boycott the participation of countries if they are eligible to enter the contest.

GRE

I think we will see Tunisia entering Eurovision in the near future :)

greece

It would be good to see Tunisia in the contest.
But the point of Eurovision has been lost...it was a Song Contest to unite the Europian countries.Now if more and more countries from Asia or Africa join in the contest it will become,as someone say before,Worldvision...

Top Bottom